PDA

View Full Version : Misa Wallpaper (need some advice on this and something else, lol.)

Deadling
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
It was declined due to "jagged edges" And I'm trying to find a way to make her hair on the right less "jagged", lol. (Im nearly about to cut off the hair sticking out on the right and rounding her head, lol) It was also said that the effect on her is too much that it makes her appear 3d against the background. I wasn't really going for 3D as much as I was going for a little depth. (wanted it to look as if she was surrounded by power)

Last but not least, is I'd really like to be able to clean up grainy images within PS. I d/l NeatImage, but havent gotten into it much.

So any advice you can give, or some techniques that might help my dillemna would be appreciated. I'm new to this forum and this site, but have used walls off this site for a long time. And have messed around in PS for a long time too, lol. (sorry for the long post, I'll shut up now:p)

IchigoKiss
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Well if I made that wallpaper...
I actually put like a motion blur on the character so it's less jagged.
Nice colour combs. BTW!!~~

Deadling
05-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Thx for the tip. I think that might have helped her hair abit. For such a large image, dont have to blur much with a motion blur. Normal blur doesnt seem to do enough, and others seem to do too much, lol. I have another clean image I could try with the full hair left in, but I'm feeling lazy, lol. I also took away the drop shadow she had. But to try to keep some depth, changed the back effect's color to a purplish rather than pink, and left the front pink. Not always, but in this wall, I really want to have some feeling of depth to it.

(and btw. I've been trying to find Misa pics, and I have found a serious amount of hot girls dressed up like her, and mainly only that.(not that I mind, hehe) If by chance you know where to get some decent Misa pics, appreciated.)

Capernicus
05-02-2008, 03:35 AM
I think...the colors hurt my eyes. A lot. But I can see the jagged edges they mentioned, though I only have crappy methods to fix that. Erase around her edges with a really soft eraser with low opacity (or whatever it's called!). Works for me. o.o

Famahama
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Did you use a surface blur on her? *_* (if you did,) May not be such a hot idea.
Also, can you post the Misa picture you used?

FlashD
05-02-2008, 06:50 AM
O_o;;
The first version is much better than the second. O_o
The motion blur really made the whole image blury. It does indeed hurt my eyes. x_x;;
Anyway ... the effect you used over her made the girl quite 3Dish. This kind of effects amplify borders and with them extraction mistakes. A good way to fix jagged edges is border blur or transparency. I would suggest you to remove that effect though. On the body it looks fine, but her hair really get too unnatural. It's like a stock being splatted on a background without any thoughts about blending, matching and so on. Not to mention all the hair details get covered by it. Hope this helps you a little. ;)

MuZ0NaZ
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I really wish you'd pick a better scan, low-quality scans are a no-go - if your scan is blurry/with jaggies, it ruins everything. And surface blur is a pretty hot idea, however only on scans that are three-four times as large than you need them to be.

Deadling
05-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm afraid I dont know what a surface blur is, lol. (unless you just mean things like "blur" and "blur more") One thing I know I can try would be to reselect her, then feather it. But I do agree it looks bad with some anime girls hair, unless it's someone like goku who's supposed to be spikey, it can look really sharp.

As for posting the original image. I just looked at it, and there are things I'm not happy with about the extraction. So I'm going to have to re-extract it. I'll post it, but there are things that just cant be fixed, lol.

I've even tried finding a different pic to go with that simply looks better. I may have found a few, but havent extracted them yet.

Balance
05-02-2008, 05:47 PM
That extract right there is the problem.
One, the extract is in LOW quality.
Two, it's not the best extract. I recommend using the pen tool at least.

What you might want to do is look at other wallpapers and observe how those look and try to imitate and change their styles to fit how you like and make it look good to the general public.

Deadling
05-03-2008, 11:27 PM
lol. I do usually use the pentool. I used one of my gf's methods because it was against white. Otherwise I love the pen tool. I may just move onto a different anime all together. I only like making walls with girls as the focus, and Misa pics are just too much a pain to find. (unless you want hot girls dressed up as her ofc, lol.) So time to maybe work on the walls of the anime's I love the best, Harem girl anime's!

Oh and the pic looks like it was actually softly painted. Which means the "quality" of the pic, can easily be brought into question. I don't think it's supposed to be a high-def bold pic in the 1st place, lol.

EDIT: Not that I've completely given up on this wall, lol. I'm just feeling lazy to extract it again. I know I can do a better job by hand though.

Hautalken
05-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Maybe changing the extract itself would help. It definately is bad quality and looks 3D-ish. The background you put in the wall is nice but those power-thingy's loook like over-enlarged brushes. If you want to make walls, you have to spend a lot of time on them. That's one of my biggest flaws. it's all those ideas filling up in my head. if i leave it and go away, i'm blank when i open it again.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

The image is all blurry (the second one) and not at all fitting. Sometimes not adding depth will actually look better. Try it.
And if you don't want to re-extract the image, then just use a soft eraser on the edges. Should look softer after that.

Deadling
05-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did find a way to soften her up abit, and changed the layer style that was making her pink. She's still pink, just not as hard as she was before, lol. I plan to re-extract it and do what I did to soften this one, just later, lol.

And I am experimenting on different things. Thx again.

MistressPookyChan
05-04-2008, 05:43 AM
When I have a small image that doesn't blow up well, I keep it small. There are a bunch of ways to do this. Some things I've seen include "photographs", putting parts of the image in grids, or making the character an accessory. The character itself doesn't have to fill up the whole screen. :)

Deadling
05-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Well I've been messing around all day, and this is what I've come up with for the effort so far. I'd like to know what people think of this one. Rather than post a new post, I'll just do it here, since it's a Misa wall as well. I do want to note that the "Misa" is not a font, actually did those myself. Havent submitted it just yet, wanted to see what people thought first.

Just added a 2nd version of it. Made the bottom lines slightly larger, and added a gradient.

Cotaku
05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Whoa...Pink Misa...O__O
I like it the blurs for some reason. *shrug*

Deadling
05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL. To be perfectly honest, I hate pink as a general rule. I wanted my girlfriend, who loves pink btw, to like them. So thats what I was truly going for. And yea, also, alot of people tend to say some of the things I can do in PS can, and will hurt your eyes, lol.