PDA

View Full Version : Adventures of the Little Prince WallPaper

TwylightStarr
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
I submitted this one but thought I would put it here irregardless of acceptance or not. The Adventures of the Little Prince was an anime series based upon the book The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry' who was a famous French writer and Aviator. He recently passed away so I thought I would make a wallpaper on this beloved story and anime. The series many of you may not be familiar with because it was from the early 80s. I hope you like it. Also, I used brushes in Gimp from www.brushes.obsidiandawn.com
and credit Stephanie Shimerdla for the great brushes she has made for use in photoshop and GIMP.

IchigoKiss
04-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Very nice ^^ I love the brushes and the color but... the image is =[ and the www. shadow thingy doesn't really look good makes me feel a bit dizzy [because I don't feel well]
Anyways nice try very colourful

TwylightStarr
04-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I did not mind the shadow thing too much. Sorry if you are not feeling too good today. HUGS. But It wasn't on purpose lol. You should have seen the grainy graphic from the old cartoon before I even enhanced it. The Adventures of the Little Prince anime was pretty grainy actually even on TV. I think we are talking somewhere like 1981. Get better soon and thank you again for your help.

UrusaiSevera
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
The extraction is of a low quality.. This image should have been vectored and then used..

Also the applied star brushes were applied too chaotically.. It doesn't help with an already busy background and a big flash effect at the end of the stick..

Also the placement of the text just isn't working.. also the applied effects around it don't look that great..

Sorry... but I think this wallpaper will be/has been rejected.

TwylightStarr
04-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes this was rejected. As far as for image quality...I actually had to improve it. The original film from the Adventures of the Little Prince were in the early 80s and the film was grainy. Also, I was unable to find any clearer images so I had to clip these and enhance them myself. I have a few others that might be better choices since they were not as blurry but none of him riding a comet.

UrusaiSevera
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
This is why vectoring is the best option when dealing with old material. You vector the original image and thus you can work with a high quality image... But this ofcourse also depends on your vectoring skills.

TwylightStarr
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't even know what vectoring is lol. So I guess I will have to look that up. Can you do that with any freeware programs I wonder. Because I do not have Photoshop.

FlashD
04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
I think I will give my two cents here as well ... :p

So ... as Urusai Severa already said here vectoring is not really a preferred choice, but more a must. The quality of the pic is really low quality and since it's from the '80 graininess is somewhat understandable, but not acceptable.

After the character we come to the brushes. They are randomly splatted on a small zone of the wall which kinda makes it chaotic. The colors of the brushes are too strong and unnatural. When you look at your flash the lighting is strong in the center but also at the edges. You should make it so the the light of the flash slowly disappears the further you go from the source. Also the source of light keeps changing ... it starts somewhere but then it moves somewhere else. Make sure the source is always at the same spot.

The background is very busy and the colors really don't match all the different color palettes you applied to the wall. When choosing a color you have to pay attention to the stock you used and to the overall composition. The colors should transition from one to another nicely and naturally and not too fast.

The text ... the text used is ... well ... weird ... not to say the colors don't match the background and it doesn't blend with it either (which is the consequence of the colors not matching and being too strong). The font should be changed ... if you use magic and cuteness in your walls, you have to make sure the text is also magical and cute.

As for the last part there is the composition ... your composition doesn't really express anything else than business. When making a wall try to tell a story with it. Images have the ability to say a whole more than words ... take advantage of it. ;)

TwylightStarr
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks again Flash. Hey this was what the second wall I made lol. It is going to take some time. But all this helps.
I am trying to learn about vectoring now. If I ever want to take classes on learning this stuff, I would like to have some sort of "intro" at least. I still want to get a pen tool so I can draw without having to sketch.