PDA

View Full Version : Game Help!

The Governator
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok, I'm currently bored of my PC game line up, TES III: Morrowind, TES IV: Oblivion, Doom 3, CnC 3, DoW, Dow: DC, Homeworld 2, Deus Ex and SoF II.

So, as I am getting some money soon, do any of you know of any good, fun, happy kinda PC games I could get, cause quite frankly, my line up is all really depressing games, and I wanna little fun light on my PC.

Chaos Proxy
04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Tell me, why do you buy computer games? Save the money and buy something useful or make a gift to someone you care or even donate the cash for homeless animals.

Seriously, buyng PC games is so .. retro, I'm sure alot of people will disagree with me, but why .. oh why won't you just download it? No I don't want to hear theories about gaming indrusties but there alot of more useful things you could buy instead of a dvd.

Okay, that's enough offtopic.
I see you're more into RPG-like games, so you should try these .. some oldies I suggest are Baldurs Gate series, Abe Oddworld, Breath of Fire IV, Final Fantasy VIII, Grandia II, Neverwinter Nights 2 .. all of them are quite cheap.

The Governator
04-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, when I usually have money, I'm allways spending it on other people, the last game I bruaght (For my DS) I got rid of two un-wanted games to get it.

I just feel like treating myself alittle bit.

Anyway, yes back on-topic, Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to look them up before getting them.

Chaos Proxy
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh alright. ^^

Just noticed your game list actually includes some FPS/Survival games aswell.
Here are some other titles: CoD4, Crysis, Bioshock, HL2, Frontlines, Fear, Gears Of War, Hitman series, Stranglehold.

[Alot of these games are rather new, so they might cost ~3 times more than any of the previously mentioned games]

You can check videos / reviews about these games from Gamespot.com

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Tell me, why do you buy computer games? Save the money and buy something useful or make a gift to someone you care or even donate the cash for homeless animals.

Seriously, buyng PC games is so .. retro, I'm sure alot of people will disagree with me, but why .. oh why won't you just download it? No I don't want to hear theories about gaming indrusties but there alot of more useful things you could buy instead of a dvd.
I don't know... because we like the developers, and want them to make more? I'm sorry if I bring into play my "theories" on how the game industry works, but it boils down to if the publishers don't get payed, the developers don't get paid. If the developers don't get paid, the game's staff doesn't get paid. And if they don't get paid, they go home and don't program games.

Which is fine, if you hate the developer I guess. If I wanted to play a Blizzard game, I would steal it from those rotten bastards. But if it's still sold new in a game store and made by a company you don't hate, you are a filthy sponge if you download it.

Okay, that's enough offtopic.
I see you're more into RPG-like games, so you should try these .. some oldies I suggest are Baldurs Gate series, Abe Oddworld, Breath of Fire IV, Final Fantasy VIII, Grandia II, Neverwinter Nights 2 .. all of them are quite cheap.

Awful list, since only 2 of them are actually PC games. Also FF8 makes Baby Jesus cry.

Anyway, Mikey go get Half Life 2: Orange Box. Portal is enough of a reason, but people love the HL2 bits too. Or get Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I think that was made for the PC in addition to the X-Box.

Chaos Proxy
04-19-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't know... because we like the developers, and want them to make more? I'm sorry if I bring into play my "theories" on how the game industry works, but it boils down to if the publishers don't get payed, the developers don't get paid. If the developers don't get paid, the game's staff doesn't get paid. And if they don't get paid, they go home and don't program games.

Just when I stated I don't want to hear nor care about anyones theories, there just had to be someone who thinks it's so cool to show off his super-logical theory. :rolleyes:

Which is fine, if you hate the developer I guess. If I wanted to play a Blizzard game, I would steal it from those rotten bastards. But if it's still sold new in a game store and made by a company you don't hate, you are a filthy sponge if you download it.

Why should someone hate someone he/she never knew? Again your "super-logical theory".
Have thought that all games aren't good? If yes then .. 1+1 = 2?
Why should you waste your cash on a crappy game? If it's a good game, then you can always buy it after you've tried it.

Awful list, since only 2 of them are actually PC games. Also FF8 makes Baby Jesus cry.

Yes, we all care about your opinion, all hail our moderator Manhattan_Project_2000, who hates RPG's with great story.
Actually all of them are on PC, go and check if you don' believe me.
Seriously, even your wannabe "funny" comment just failed.

Anyway, Mikey go get Half Life 2: Orange Box. Portal is enough of a reason, but people love the HL2 bits too. Or get Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I think that was made for the PC in addition to the X-Box.

Now it's my turn. Why would anyone want to play KOTOR? It's the lamest game you could ever play, not to mention it's bloody Star Wars, lawl.
Now, does anyone care about my opinion on the internet? I don't think so.
If you still don't get it what I'm sayng then you'll need to go out for a while.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Just when I stated I don't want to hear nor care about anyones theories, there just had to be someone who thinks it's so cool to show off his super-logical theory. :rolleyes:
It's not a theory (well it is, but not the common usage of theory as you are using, but the scientific usage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory)) it's simple economics. If you don't pay the people to make games, they won't because they still need food to eat and shelter.

Why should someone hate someone he/she never knew? Again your "super-logical theory".
I hate Blizzard because they have consistently pushed games that I don't like. I would feel no remorse stealing their new games simply because I disagree with their design philosophy. But then again, it's a moot point because I think their products suck and wouldn't steal them if you paid me.

Also, I don't literally hate them; see Hyperbole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole).

Have thought that all games aren't good? If yes then .. 1+1 = 2?
Why should you waste your cash on a crappy game? If it's a good game, then you can always buy it after you've tried it.

http://www.metacritic.com
http://www.gameranking.com
http://www.gamespot.com
http://www.ign.com

It's called reviews. You read the words, and not just the score at the end. If it sounds up your alley, it probably is.

Yes, we all care about your opinion, all hail our moderator Manhattan_Project_2000, who hates RPG's with great story.
I'd counter this point, but it isn't worth the marginal effort of looking into my CD cases and listing a few examples. Suffice to say, I have l have played a lot of great RPGs with heavy emphasis on story, even Weeaboo RPGs, and FFVIII is at the bottom of the barrel. Of all the FF games, it's probably the least liked, with the possible exception of FFII (e.g. not IV).

Also, I'm a mod because I'm an opinionated jerk, not the other way around. I was telling people they were wrong long before it was cool. Now if I gave you a warning or something you'd be alright with the whole "ZOMG THE MOD IS ATTACKING ME HE THINKS HE GOD" thing. But as I think I have a right to hold a discussion as a person regardless of my usergroup, I'm gonna have to ask you to shut up. Or not. I get lulz either way.

Actually all of them are on PC, go and check if you don' believe me.
Seriously, even your wannabe "funny" comment just failed.
Well, I'm surprised, because Weeaboo RPGs go over like lead balloons on the PC and get ported near close to never. I'm unsure why you'd think that someone that listed American-Style RPGs would automatically like Weeaboo-Style ones. Suggesting NW2 is fine.

Now it's my turn. Why would anyone want to play KOTOR? It's the lamest game you could ever play, not to mention it's bloody Star Wars, lawl.Lot of people, including myself, dig it. It's no where near as contested in worth as say, FFVIII. You can have a contrary opinion if you want.

Now, does anyone care about my opinion on the internet? I don't think so.
If you still don't get it what I'm sayng then you'll need to go out for a while.No one cares about your opinion, and you know it- but you still post it? Why are you being so hypocritical? Is this some sort of self-destructive nervous twitch for you? Seek help, man.

Since this a topic asking for opinions on games to play, I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that Mikey really does want opinions on games to play. If it's all a clever ruse, so be it.

Anyway, I'm not going to spam up this topic any more. So rant unto your hearts content.

daft
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I got three letters for you...MDK.

Metronome
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Weee as much as I like over-hyped discussions i'll keep this short and sweet. 1. Don't buy crysis unless your computer is Heavenly, trust me. 2. No matter how much a few people hate Blizzard it doesn't matter I love them and so do over 10 million people for one game and WAY more than that for Star/Warcraft Blizzard wins for being billionaire's nuff said. 3. Being a FF and Squaresoft buff, 8 was probably the worst one next to X-2, I mean predictable story, terrible GF system, the fact you can get level 99 before completing like even 10% of the game, pretty much infinite limit breaks, ODIN BEING KILLED / HIM BEING A RANDOM SUMMON WHICH MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and stupid wannabe characters (who do you think you are Zell, I want Tifa back you freak-haired homo) honestly what were they thinking...what a waste of game discs. 4.Your best bet to find games you'd like would definitely NOT be anime forum go check ign and sites like that it's cool to ask people but then things turn out just like this. GG e-peen's

Chaos Proxy
04-21-2008, 03:24 AM
It's not a theory (well it is, but not the common usage of theory as you are using, but the scientific usage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory)) it's simple economics. If you don't pay the people to make games, they won't because they still need food to eat and shelter.

Don't you understand that everyone knows it? That's why it's meaningless to repeat it in every thread when someone mentions "getting the games another way"? =.=
That's why I said I don't want to hear any theories about it, everyone has heard them so many times.

http://www.metacritic.com
http://www.gameranking.com
http://www.gamespot.com
http://www.ign.com

It's called reviews. You read the words, and not just the score at the end. If it sounds up your alley, it probably is.

Exept Metacritic those site reviewers are getting paid off. Most known of them is Gamespot with the latest scandale about Kane and Lynch.
And by the way .. the game you so hardly are tryng to bash has an average score of 9.1 FF VIII (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy8?q=final%20fantasy%20viii)

I'd counter this point, but it isn't worth the marginal effort of looking into my CD cases and listing a few examples. Suffice to say, I have l have played a lot of great RPGs with heavy emphasis on story, even Weeaboo RPGs, and FFVIII is at the bottom of the barrel. Of all the FF games, it's probably the least liked, with the possible exception of FFII (e.g. not IV).

For some reason I doubt you've played FF VIII, because if you had you wouldn't call it a bad game. Maybe medicore because the main character is a quiet type. But this game practically "owns" most of the linear-type RPG's out there.
Sure, the graphics are "intresting" in fields, but then again all those summons and the story will make it up. [Not to forget, it's a 1999 game]
This game isn't often called a "weeaboo" game anyway .. or at all. If you didn't like it, well tough luck. Everyone else does.

Also, I'm a mod because I'm an opinionated jerk, not the other way around. I was telling people they were wrong long before it was cool. Now if I gave you a warning or something you'd be alright with the whole "ZOMG THE MOD IS ATTACKING ME HE THINKS HE GOD" thing. But as I think I have a right to hold a discussion as a person regardless of my usergroup, I'm gonna have to ask you to shut up. Or not. I get lulz either way.

For some reason, I still believe it's the other way around. :rolleyes:
You may be a mod, alright, but you cannot ask me to stop discussing something as long as I'm not breaking any of the rules.
I've got enough "lulz" from here seeing your FF VIII hate so far.

Well, I'm surprised, because Weeaboo RPGs go over like lead balloons on the PC and get ported near close to never. I'm unsure why you'd think that someone that listed American-Style RPGs would automatically like Weeaboo-Style ones. Suggesting NW2 is fine.

Then do some research. I've been reading diffreng gaming magazines, sites and forums daily, since 1995 when I got my first computer with a W95. n_n
What are "weeaboo" style RPG's for you? Anime-haircuts? Deep story?
NW2 was actually the worst RPG I suggested in my list, there were so many flaws with that game I lost intrest halfway.

Lot of people, including myself, dig it. It's no where near as contested in worth as say, FFVIII. You can have a contrary opinion if you want.
And what makes you think people wouldn't want to play FF VIII instead of KoToR? >_________>

No one cares about your opinion, and you know it- but you still post it? Why are you being so hypocritical? Is this some sort of self-destructive nervous twitch for you? Seek help, man.

I think you are the one who needs help. You want to prove yourself so much that you're talking whatever comes to your mind.
The opinion part was to tell you that nobody cares about your opinion either, geez I'm like talking to a wall or something.

Anyway, I'm not going to spam up this topic any more. So rant unto your hearts content.

Aha. I'm sure you'll reply to this, everyone would.

Sanosuke23
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
1. I enjoyed KotOR immensely, I just wished it were bigger.

2. FFVIII is a jRPG, hence the somewhat inaccurate weeaboo remark. Japanese are, by definition, Japanese. jRPGs do not often get PC ports in the states, I only know of VII and VIII in fact. I liked the Junctioning system and NOTHING ELSE ABOUT THE GAME. Well, I enjoy making fun of it, so I guess that counts.

3. Mikey, have you tried the Thief series? That's pretty good.

███
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
How about some internet strategy games? They always seem to be a little fun for a while.

Warcraft 3 is a great one and it's still very active on Battlenet.

I hate abbreviations on games, I can never tell what games people are talking about.

The Governator
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
3. Mikey, have you tried the Thief series? That's pretty good.

Well, I have been getting greif of my sisters boyfriend about the Theif series, so if another person says its good, I might aswell get a copy of each game.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
2. FFVIII is a jRPG, hence the somewhat inaccurate weeaboo remark. Japanese are, by definition, Japanese. jRPGs do not often get PC ports in the states, I only know of VII and VIII in fact. I liked the Junctioning system and NOTHING ELSE ABOUT THE GAME. Well, I enjoy making fun of it, so I guess that counts. The market for jRPGs outside of Japan has a strong correlation with Anime-Fanboys AKA Weeaboos.

Well... FF7 was pretty mainstream, but that's about it.

Well, I have been getting greif of my sisters boyfriend about the Theif series, so if another person says its good, I might aswell get a copy of each game.

I'm pretty sure Eris digs at least some of them, but I dunno myself.

How do you feel about 4X games? Because I can recommend a great many.

The Governator
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
4X have made some pretty good titles in the past, so yeah, I'm open to them, I only have problems with Blizzard and SquareEnix

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
4X have made some pretty good titles in the past, so yeah, I'm open to them, I only have problems with Blizzard and SquareEnix
No, I mean the genre, 4X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X). Like Civilization, Master of Orion, etcetera.

The Governator
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh, thats what I ment, I was in a stupor at that moment, yes I am interested in the 4X genre, I have been trying to get my hands on Civi IV for sometime, but no-where in my town has it.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I can't vouch for Civ IV one way or another, my computer sucks too much to make it viable...

Well, find Master of Orion 2. It's older, and delicious in it's sci-fi-ness. Customizable races, very customizable ship designs, a race of evil super aliens from another dimension, etcetera.

But my ALL TIME favorite 4X is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It's the direct sequel to Civilization 2. The ship you'd send to Alpha Centauri in one of Civ II's endings ends up splitting into a number of factions after the ship's commander is assassinated. They split up as soon as they get to Alpha Centauri, and form separate nations. The planet, however is covered in a native fungus that ends up being semi-intelligent and getting smarter. Completely awesome, and very overlooked. I found it in some EA boxed set or another not to long ago.

If you are interested in a older game, and want to run through some abandonware sites (It'd be impossible to find in stores) look up Colonization. It's a more trading oriented version of Civilization set in New World.

Khanxay
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
A little old but Starships Unlimited (http://www.apezone.com/starshipsunlimited.php) is pretty good. Not amazing but good. But try the demo first. See if you like it. I recently started playing it again myself.

Light Buster
04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
If you really need a PC game, Starcraft 2 is the way to go.

Dark Wolf 09
04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Why have a PC game for Window's Vista? There not even reliable, I am not a big fan for PC gaming, try saving up for a console gaming platform, like "Xbox 360" "Nintendo Wii" but do I dare mention this? "Playstation 3" or "Playstation 2." However, if you want a good RTS game try Command and Conquer: Three Tiberum wars or Kanes Revenge on the PC platform, the Kanes Revenge is basically an upgradable patch for the "Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars" so you'll have the strangest De Ja Vu on playing Command and Conquer from the original's.

No mention of it coming on the Xbox 360 though, so don't ask me. Look at original XP gaming, like "Age of Empires 2" or "Age of Empires 3" here's another good RTS try "Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots". But then again there's a number of die hard fans for RPGS, even though you have to pay a monthly subscription (WoW anyone?) yep, guess it.

The Governator
05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
If you really need a PC game, Starcraft 2 is the way to go.

HERETIC!

I allready said that Blizzard can all go and burn a nice firey death.

And McCloud, Xbox 360 reliable? I never knew such a thing exsisted, and I dont have Vista, I hate it, I use XP Home Service Pack 2. And I am allready planning on getting C&C 3 Kanes WRATH I want somthing alil different from a C&C, as I will soo have ALL of them.

Eris
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure Eris digs at least some of them, but I dunno myself.

The thief series is pretty neat. The first two games are okay, if a bit dated, the third game is a bit too... consolified, but then it has this one level that totally makes up for it. Anyway, you should be able to get them for a small sum these days.

Have you considered some other genres? Baldur's gate and NWN series is always fun.

Also, another game I can recommend is The Longest Journey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Journey) (the only place I know you can get it is Steam, but you might be able to find it else where as well). Old point and click adventure game, that's borders on being an interactive novel. Really well crafted stuff, and dirt cheap these days as well. It's pretty slow paced, but if you have the patience, you'll love it to bits.

gvemuri
05-10-2008, 04:43 AM
You can find more games of your favourites from torrentmatrix site.

Visit www.torrentmatrix.com