PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Ramona Flowers
03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
My friend reserved a coppy and we've been playing on it all day. I don't have a Wii, but it sure makes me wish I had one. Naturally, it a wonderful game.
Grr, I just wish it had Mew2 on this one. :\
Sonic makes up for it though
How far has everyone else gotten on SSB? Any ways you might know to unluck other chars. faster?

Metronome
03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm a damn good SSBM player got brawl first day at midnight of course beat subspace emissary in 6 hrs and that unlocked all the characters, finished up with getting all the stages short while after that. But there is a way to unlock all stages and characters in 2 hrs or less. Also mewtwo was a terrible low-tier character, lucario is much better and will be higher on the brawl list than mewtwo would've been no doubt. And sonic is a pretty terrible character considering how he had looked in all the videos up until now, he won't be low tier but with very few killing moves he doesn't stand a chance against your spamming pits and your veteran shieks and marth's

BiggSam
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
And sonic is a pretty terrible character considering how he had looked in all the videos up until now, he won't be low tier but with very few killing moves he doesn't stand a chance against your spamming pits and your veteran shieks and marth's

And Jgglypuffs...You can NEVER forget Jigglupuff.
I miss Roy ;_;

-Batman-
03-10-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm a damn good SSBM player got brawl first day at midnight of course beat subspace emissary in 6 hrs and that unlocked all the characters, finished up with getting all the stages short while after that. But there is a way to unlock all stages and characters in 2 hrs or less. Also mewtwo was a terrible low-tier character, lucario is much better and will be higher on the brawl list than mewtwo would've been no doubt. And sonic is a pretty terrible character considering how he had looked in all the videos up until now, he won't be low tier but with very few killing moves he doesn't stand a chance against your spamming pits and your veteran shieks and marth's

[facepalm]

Killjoy.

Anyway.
Got the game.
Stagebuilder is more fun than the actual brawling =3

fairygirl26
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I think all the Super Smash Brother games are fun. I know the feeling about the wii though i am hoping to get one cause my mom is thinking about it cause there are supposed to be a lot fun gets you up an moving. I got the one for N64 and liked and seen the others played. try gamefaqs if you want to know about how to get the characters they might have info there.

x0xfaizax0x
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I like zelda link and ganon

Ωmega
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Just picked up a copy today. Im unhappy with Peach's "Peach Blossom" move.

;__;

And yes, the level builder was a lot of fun x3

BiggSam
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
I went over to my friend's house and played. The control scheme is really wierd, so I got ahold of a gamecube controller and finally I could play like I used to. At the moment I'm only really good with Ike (he kicks a** on a whole other level) and Kirby. I still want to use Jigglypuff, but my friend hasn't unlocked him yet.

Khanxay
03-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Meh... it doesn't have the same exciting feeling as Melee or the original had. I dunno.

Everyone goes crazy trying to break the final smash item when it pops up...

Kawairashii hikari
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm so mad.... I want to so badly have this game but they're sold out everywhere I go and I don't feel like paying for shipping or waiting for the package to come in...
But my friend told me it was awesome though. ^^ He said he was happy you could start out with Sheik.

Metronome
03-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Jiggs is okay but definitely not as good as she was in melee. With no Wall of Pain you have to learn other ways of racking up damage...unless you play a noob and just sleep them over and over =/. Overall not too many original characters got nerfed, some like zelda were buffed even. This game is fun to play and suprisingly easy to get used to. I stopped trying to wavedash and L-cancel after around 4 hrs of playing xD. However right now the online mode is terrible very very terrible in fact so get lots of friends just like in melee!

Amray
03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Marth, Ike and Snake all the Way! XD

On Melee I could not play anyone exept Marth! I refused to play anybody else, unless on a tournament ofcourse and you had to pick more than one person. ^^
When my Friend gets this I am so going straight over to his house Haha. Our Wii over mine is not plugged in anymore so..

LittleMomo
03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
When it was the SSBB Midnight Release, we had a tournament at GameStop and I saw almost everyone using Marth and Fox -_-; Until someone had a Pikachu and owned everyone. xD That was awesome.

Khanxay
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Woot. Link and Pikachu are still awesome.

Link has been refined apparently. His moveset is almost the same but it flows a lot better and most moves have more reach. Seems like there's less lag after each move. I like how the screw attack for Samus is a mix between Melee and original. Pikachu is Pikachu. Enough said.

And I have a small tournament set up for tomorrow between me and a few friends. ^_^

AND I can finally C-Stick in Single Player modes.

dontshootme
03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
:D I just seen the game in action today and I have to say that it looks great, handles better the GC or the classic controller, but it should have kept the same line-up from SSBM and added the cast to game. All in all 5/5!:D

Metronome
03-12-2008, 03:13 AM
The problem with keeping everyone from Melee is there'd just be more clones which they tried to eliminate, with a moderate amount of success

Cat-Chan
03-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Brawl! The best game ever in 2008!

Fear Jiggles! >_> Omg, Shiek is epic!

LittleMomo
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Is it me, or has everyone turned slower in the game? O.o I mean all the chars, except Sonic seem slow to me.

Gero50
03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Well I don't have a Wii myself but my younger brother dose and yes he waited and went to the 12:00am release of it and got after some touriment at a game store called Game Stop ya thats it He and I sometimes play it together but he is like but better at ti then me and I almost always get but butt kicked every time but there are a few days where I end up winning but they're fare and in between but I guess that is why my talents do not lie in video games

Metronome
03-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Nobody is really slower they just might seem that way if you're used to wave dashing like me but if you fox trot pretty much every character is as fast if not faster than they were in melee. Plus this game is a bit easier to pick up and just play compared to melee. They made a lot of things easier like l-canceling and overall with the new diminishing returns on attacks it's become harder to kill enemies so a 4-stock match that would last around 3-5 min in melee now can end up at 6-9 min between 2 fairly skilled players.

Khanxay
03-13-2008, 09:04 AM
SubSpace Emissary is pretty cool. I'm 22% on hard mode. I can't help but feel a mix of Kingdom Hearts in there. That whole worlds being destroyed, kidnapping of people, enemies made of dark-matter like stuff...

Hope that doesn't spoil anything.

Metronome
03-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Subspace was suprisingly hilarious for having such little voice overs...haha tea time...classic....anyways I beat it in 6 hrs on normal wasn't worth going through it on hard you get the characters either way =/

Khanxay
03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Cutscenes in Subspace are very hilarious.

Some Spoilers Below:

I didn't like what I saw what happened to Pikachu. How could they do that to him? It's team rocket all over again.

Marth Vs Metaknight was awesome... but I still wonder why they were even fighting.

Rayquaza was very hard to fight. Well, I was doing Co-op and my friend lost 3lives during the fight...

When I saw Lucas I swear, first thought in my head was: " HE'S EMO LOLOL!!!"

Buruku
03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
wow it's out now? I stopped paying attention, I figured it was going to be pushed back again.

MAYBE I SHOULD BUY THIS GAME.

Metronome
03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Indeed it's a good game, though the online leaves much to be desired at this moment. And i'm still way better at melee than I am at this =/ it made me feel special to be able to SHFFL and wave dash /sigh

aka-ba-ra-hana-wabi-ra
03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Brawl is good... But I hate the fact they took out wave dashing, l cancel, n other things.>=[ I think Melee is alot better, more...hmmm fun?

niKopol
03-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Me and my friends have been waiting for this forever to come out. Thats one of the reason we bought a Wii when it first came out...

Anyway we went and picked our copy up the other day and our Wii wouldn't read it cause for some reason. Its the older Wii's, we bought ours right when it came out, I wish the guy at gamestop would have warned us. Or had been a little more helpful. Although I can't say this with completely belief but if it can't play SSBB, I really don't think it'll be able to play many more of the newer games.

So thanks Nintendo, you proved to me that you are just like Sony and Microsoft.

Chaos Proxy
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM
True, some Wii owners can't play Brawl because of the dirty lenses.

Nintendo Talks Smash Bros. Brawl Wii Problems, Creates Specialized Support Page (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51681)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl disc-read error hits the US (http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=22640)

niKopol
03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Dirt lens my fat highny. Why would it have to be sent off to a repair center if it was just a dirty lens?

I used over a dozen of lens cleaners. Updated. Done all that good stuff. Hell I even kept the Wii away from the heat and dust. They're just too chicken to say that its a hardware problem right now.

Amray
03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I cannot wait to beat up Pikachu with Solid Snake. >=]

Metronome
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually they didn't take out L-cancel in brawl in fact they made it so most aerials depending on character automatically L-cancel for you so it's more noob friendly I guess. Also more and more advanced techniques are found by the week and luckily I was the discoverer of one this time around ^_____^ Just hope we don't have to wait another 7 years for the next smash bros though....

Perpetual Specter
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I just got SSBB this Tuesday. I think it's a pretty awesome game. Although I don't like some of the things they changed in it from Melee like some of the characters' moves, I'd still say it's a must-have game for any person with a Wii. I noticed the feel of the controls of the game or the movement of the characters seemed different, but it's something that you can get used to. I love some of the new items too like the "hot-head", but the beam sword doesn't seems as effective now. The things I like best overall about it are the new great-looking stages, an awesome adventure mode with a REAL plot now, and that new stage-builder feature.

ChibiInuyasha
03-14-2008, 03:00 AM
It actually has a story to it! and a pretty darn good one by the way it took me about 7 hours or so to beat it and between 1 or 2 days to unlock everything now im online honing my skills and looking for tournaments ^_^

Khanxay
03-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I noticed the feel of the controls of the game or the movement of the characters seemed different, but it's something that you can get used to.
There is a small change. Movement is a bit smoother and there's less lagtime between moves. Or at least that is how I feel it. And I hate the semiauto-wallkick crap.

an awesome adventure mode with a REAL plot now SSE is a game of it's own. Enemies are annoying as hell on Hard mode though. As of now I'm 39% on Hard.

I like picking on "Puny" Computer players. It makes me feel good since the AI on intense is pretty damn good at edge hogging.

Buruku
03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I wonder if I can con Capernicus into buying this for me, I freakin went on a spring clothes shopping spree and spent a lot. WHat has happened to me?

I'll prob buy it next time I go somewhere that has it.

Metronome
03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
The reason it seems there is less lag frames between moves is because the game now auto L-cancels most aerial attacks, other than that for the veteran fighters only 2 characters normal or smash attack come out faster and that's marth and mario

Buruku
03-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Picked it up last night, but haven't gotten to play if as much as i want.

Pit is pretty much the jamz, also big improvement on Zelda. I think the cut scenes in story mode add a lot to the game too.

I'd like to say more about it, but i'm typing on the wii, so once I get on a real keyboard i'll be back.

The Monarch
03-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Dude, Brawl is the best game ever on the Wii.

Buruku
03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
The game's definitely more difficult (good thing imo) I had my hands full with just a level 5 Bowser and Ike. Lots of room for improvement on this one.

I think I'm still the best with Sheik, pretty good with Link and Pit. I use to be able to do some damage with Peach, but she didn't seem to improve as much as the other characters so it's harder to make up for that.

I haven't been able to get online. Everything else online on my Wii has been working except for brawl...maybe it requires a stronger connection?

Sometimes I think the stage interference is too obnoxious, but melee was pretty much the same way. Also, I still don't like how freakin small everything gets when the camera zooms away from the stage. I wish I had a bigger TV.

Using the wiimote isn't too bad, but I really want to get the classic controller or just go home and grab my cube one.

I can't wait to fight against people. SSB single player=pretty fun; SSB multiplayer= a blast.

Ωmega
03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I use to be able to do some damage with Peach, but she didn't seem to improve as much as the other characters so it's harder to make up for that.

Really? I do well with Peach. She has that "hover" move, which is great for when the opponent attacks the whole floor, and that hip move of hers does so damage too. I was playing the boss battle challenge, and beat a boss with only four of that attack. Took me only about 30 seconds too.

I also like Pokemon trainer and am looking forward to trying out Pikachu. Though...I think they should've just tweeked Pokemon Trainer a bit and just name him Ash =/

Buruku
03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh another thing:

I don't like how the jumping seems freakin useless with some characters. I'm going to say that just using the D-pad right now makes it a little worse, but seriously it's retarded sometimes how broken it feels. Anyone agree or disagree with this?

Maru it'll be fun when we get to play against eachother. :3

Metronome
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
They only nerfed peach a little considering there is no more auto-float cancel and the down smash is not as OP as it was in the melee days. However the computers in this one are a tad bit harder than melee but still way too easy unless you're playing on intense.

I already mentioned the online is pretty bad the lag it contains online messes you up pretty bad and the battle with anyone option rarely works. Jumping however is the same as ever except for the easier wall jumping or in some characters cases the super OP wall stick.

I'm still good with marth and he will be top tier again i'm sure, I main TL he's also way better than link in melee and brawl and young link from melee, he's been described as marth with projectiles maybe that's why i'm so good with him but meh. This game is solid but I feel they didn't do enough for having almost 7 years to bring it to us.

haku10110101
03-16-2008, 04:13 PM
i like it

The Monarch
03-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Dirt lens my fat highny. Why would it have to be sent off to a repair center if it was just a dirty lens?

I used over a dozen of lens cleaners. Updated. Done all that good stuff. Hell I even kept the Wii away from the heat and dust. They're just too chicken to say that its a hardware problem right now.

Wow! Thats balls dude.

Vaati
03-16-2008, 04:56 PM
shadow link is the best imo
but my firend got the game it came out and it ownors mellee

Sanosuke23
03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Lemme guess Tsen, you used the Stage Editor to make a completely flat stage in which items are forbiddden?

I'm glad they took out most of the glitches(Yes, Tsen, Wave Dashing was a glitch and not a technique). Fox is as broken as ever from what I've seen, though, which means I'll be sticking to my usual group of friends who play for the sheer chaos and fun of it all.

After all, that's what it was made for.

x0xfaizax0x
03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I really like the zelda series zelda is the best character

Metronome
03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Nope I haven't even tried stage builder yet though I might have to soon to get all the challenges done but otherwise what you described sounds like final destination to me, and not only that but yoshi's story was my favorite level anyway

As far as wave dashing being a glitch is concerned I really could care less it's not like there aren't glitches in every game in fact there are many in brawl that I use on a daily basis to enhance my metagame. Glitch or technique whatever you call it if it isn't banned every pro will use it that's how it works and that's how it's always been for every game. Wave dashing and SHHFL'ing in melee, BXR'ing in Halo 2 you name it and the pro's use it, if someone can't or refuses to use it they're just gimping themselves or jealous of others skill. Hah you probably think ken combo is a glitch for goodness sake

Fox isn't really broken the only thing about him is the new shine hover glitch which is pretty much worthless except in the case of mindgames and stalling, otherwise he's pretty much the same despite the nerfed Uair, down throw and the fact lasers no longer travel the length of the stage.

Games are not made for one general reason, they're made for many different people with lots of different playstyle's. There was a time 5 years ago when I played melee with all items on and picked link and just up-b spammed but my mental state and metagame have evolved far beyond that. I can't imagine not playing with mostly MLG rules, sure sometimes me and some friends put smashballs pokeballs and assist trophies on for fun but we like to play competitively. Like it or not that's how some people play video games and that's exactly why MLG exists in the first place.

-Batman-
03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Nope I haven't even tried stage builder yet though I might have to soon to get all the challenges done but otherwise what you described sounds like final destination to me, and not only that but yoshi's story was my favorite level anyway

As far as wave dashing being a glitch is concerned I really could care less it's not like there aren't glitches in every game in fact there are many in brawl that I use on a daily basis to enhance my metagame. Glitch or technique whatever you call it if it isn't banned every pro will use it that's how it works and that's how it's always been for every game. Wave dashing and SHHFL'ing in melee, BXR'ing in Halo 2 you name it and the pro's use it, if someone can't or refuses to use it they're just gimping themselves or jealous of others skill. Hah you probably think ken combo is a glitch for goodness sake

Fox isn't really broken the only thing about him is the new shine hover glitch which is pretty much worthless except in the case of mindgames and stalling, otherwise he's pretty much the same despite the nerfed Uair, down throw and the fact lasers no longer travel the length of the stage.

Games are not made for one general reason, they're made for many different people with lots of different playstyle's. There was a time 5 years ago when I played melee with all items on and picked link and just up-b spammed but my mental state and metagame have evolved far beyond that. I can't imagine not playing with mostly MLG rules, sure sometimes me and some friends put smashballs pokeballs and assist trophies on for fun but we like to play competitively. Like it or not that's how some people play video games and that's exactly why MLG exists in the first place.

Hardcore gamers don't play Videogames. They aren't hardcore enough.
duh.

Sanosuke23
03-17-2008, 09:07 PM
When something isn't banned in a hypothetical league only because the majority of people in the league refuse to play if it is and the league would be hurt, it ceases to be a credible ruling. There were Melee stages banned because Fox could exploit them, but if they banned Fox enough people would leave to hurt the tournament scene.

Hey, walljumping in WoW to get inside of the walls of WSG isn't banned, go stick your FC in there and call it a technique before it goes the way of the rooftop "technique."

Metronome
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
They don't really ban stages because fox can exploit them seeing as he can infinite on pokemon stadium and on the counterpick corneria they ban those stages because of stage interference I mean they don't ban ice climbers even though they have 2 glitches allowing them to get their enemy to 999% without any resistance, they only ban those 2 moves along with mewtwo soul stunner.

No thanks for 1 I hate WSG I play in the Shadowburn BG we lose everything except AV and anyway if I wanted to win WSG I could just get a group and do the warlock summon glitch so meh

Khanxay
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Haha. I beat SSE after... 9 Hours of play on Hard mode. But I'm at 84%?

Stupid Tabuu. On hard, every single move he does except maybe two KO you in one hit. Very unfair when you are fighting him for the first time.

Unlocked all characters. Sonic is too hard to control for me. Snake is too stupid. I can finally use Ike. He's one of those types you shouldn't get hit by. I LOVE R.O.B. He's attacks quick on the ground and his aerial moves are a bit slow but strong.

I'm planning to go online today.

My best characters: (In order)
Pikachu
Link
R.O.B.
MetaKnight

Metronome
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Snake is annoying in 4-way FFA's because you can't always keep track of where mines and c4 are. Robot is an okay character, 2 projectiles and top tier recovery he's not too bad but not my style. In terms of favorite's it goes TL Jiggs Marth Fox but in terms of skill it would be Marth TL Jiggs then Fox...I mean i've been maining Marth for 7 years it only makes sense i'm good with him.

Khanxay
03-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Dude, quit with the pro talk. I'm (and most here) am casual player that plays for fun.

Metronome
03-19-2008, 10:22 PM
pro talk? haha what I said was very basic if you think THAT is pro I find it sad

Khanxay
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
...Meh... It's not really you. I'm just tired of seeing the word "Tier" everywhere I go to talk about Smash Bros. Whatever.

That aside, FRIEND CODES. We need to make some sort of AF Friend List. What happened to that tourney we talked about???

Buruku
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Dude, quit with the pro talk. I'm (and most here) am casual player that plays for fun.

STFU NOOB THIS GAYM IS 4 TEH HARDCORE ONLY.

I still can't get online to work. Mother frick.

Edit:

That aside, FRIEND CODES. We need to make some sort of AF Friend List. What happened to that tourney we talked about???

We'll have a tourney, but I figured we should just wait till more people get the game. More time to practice and work up our A-game. not that I need practice.

Khanxay
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Well let's at least have some random fun matches. As far as I know, I can't get the play with anyone to work so I might as well try against friends.

Metronome
03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
It's really hard to be good online it's a bit hard to get used to the lag, I find people spamming b moves alot online and in turn I like to pick wolf and do the same. I can usually get with anyone team battles going but for FFA forget it the service seems broken

Khanxay
03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmm. Lag. I'm awesome with lag.

Tenchi Masaki
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Currently posting at work so I don't have access to my Wii/Friend Code.

Since I'm fortunate enough to have two friends that live five and fifteen minutes away from me I get barely to little lag. We also Smash with some friends that are located about 90 miles away and another one that lives about 200+ miles away and our lag is not all that bad.

I think its fun to look at Smash at a technical level, and its hard not to look at it that way if you play it competitively (I don't enter a lot of tourneys but I guess I just mean bragging rights amongst your friends haha), at least for me. I've been maining Meta-Knight, but Marth is my saftey net. Following those two characters, Dedede would be my third pick in my line-up.

I'm working on Bowser as a side project and my Pokemon Trainer still needs work in terms of using Squirtle efficiently. I always end up resorting to Ivysaur and Charizard when using PT, so I really want to incorporate Squirtle into my mix-up just so I feel complete when using Pokemon Trainer.

I'll hit you guys up with my Friend code when I get home, and it would be a great idea to incorporate a friend list for fellow AF smashers.

Honestly, I'm so happy this game has finally come out. My Wii has now been rekindled and is no longer just something that collects dust around my room!

Metronome
03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
No joke I only used my Wii to play melee I just hope it doesn't blow up from being overused now. I've been trying out alot of characters as of late none seem horribly pathetic but I still can't play ganondorf worth 2 cents. My ice climber ability has gone from a 8 to a 3 as well since de-synching is way too hard.

Was playing with a bunch of friends yesterday we were doing a few team battles and of course me and my friend tim get matched up totally at random (we were the 2 best out of our group at melee) and just owned everyone =/. We went with the lucas/ness combo it was sweet.

Whenever i'm with friends we end up playing this game for at least 3-6 hours straight and maybe 8-9 hours total in 1 day which is a bit more than melee but we've waited 7 years and even though we may have to wait that many more I won't get burned out of this game that easily.

My brawl FC is 5155-2609-2960 challenge the wind if you dare ^______^

Khanxay
03-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I post my little friend code once I get mine online. I have to mess with router stuff first. You'd think that being able to connect online was enough to actually play.

Meh...yesterday I racked up 137 VS matches by myself... Is that a bit much? Or am I not playing enough?

EDIT: Okay. I CAN play online. I just gotta kick my friends off Maple Story and Call of Duty 4.

FC: 3394-3355-7190

KSP? is ready to play!