View Full Version : Some HDR

Kaitou Ace
02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Well we had some wonderfully overcast weather recently, which makes for perfect HDR work, so I ended up shooting a few keepers.

Statue at the North-West corner of Central park, by Columbus circle

Columbus circle and the Time Warner center (CNN films inside there)

Sheep's meadow, central park

So, opinions? More of my photos/HDR over here (http://www.igorbass.com/photos/) .

02-06-2008, 09:15 PM

holy crap

those are GORGEOUS!

Although its overcast, the dull sky allows all the colors in everything else to just pop, which gives a very appealing effect.

I also love how vibrant the colors of the field are @__@

02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Being only a member and not one of the immortals I won't swear - just quote it ;)

holy crap
those are GORGEOUS!

having a look at the other HDR shots I think the best is the meadow - stunning!

02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I love the angles, not so much of the crouch shot on the statue; its still a good shot.

The Central Park shot. Shame you couldn't have had that big tree closer to the center but not completely in the center, but I see that other tree slightly poking in at the top corner.

We're these cropped or did you turn it sideways on the Time Warner center building? If you did crop this photo's, it just feels like you are trying to make us focus, but you let these a few things poke through at the corners which kind of ruins the feel.

The first one, there is a little yellow ball, I'm guessing its a light pole, bottom right corner.
The second one, the building, top left corner.
The third one, the branch, top left corner.

I didn't mean it to sound mean, I am just picky about little extra objects. Sometimes, you can't get a better shot.

02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I have to disagree about the third shot - I think the tree being off to the left more adds to the image. Granted it is an eye catching component and can drag your focus across the image - but to move it more central would defeat the purpose of focusing on the meadow. Maybe a further off shot would have worked better - - but I also cannot see the branch you are refering to??

Kaitou Ace
02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ^_^

Actually all but the light post were cleaned up earlier, image cache just took a bit to update, thats one of the issues with the gallery software I am using. Fixed that one too though, but you may have to shift+reload to see the changes. O_o;

None of these are crops, had the camera sideways there. And the meadow was a bit limiting, as its fenced off, couldn't get any closer or further on the old foot-zoom mark I. On the other hand, that lets me shoot it without any people, so tradeoffs o_o;

02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Dig the first one, not so keen on the 2nd one - looks a bit too fake, and the 3rd is kinda boring, overcast weather sucks. Also, I *love* this (http://www.igorbass.com/photos/v/HDR/IMG_2365.jpg.html) shot - tho it would look even better in B/W.

International 4-8818
02-08-2008, 02:22 AM
What camera do you use?

Kaitou Ace
02-08-2008, 02:31 AM
These were taken with the Canon 40D. Other shots in the gallery were taken with the 30D or the Rebel XT. These aren't straight out of the camera shots though, they are composite HDR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging) images made using the three exposure method.

International 4-8818
02-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Ah i see. Now would you suggest the 40d or wait for the 50d or whatever it will be called? Why i am hesitant is because of the 10 mp it comes with and when the next installment comes out it will be more. So i guess to sum it up is their a big difference in quality between 10 to 15 mp to say?

and how do you use HDR? Does it come in the camera or do you need to use software on the computer to tweek the image?

Kaitou Ace
02-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Nah, megapixels don't matter. The 30D with 8 was quite enough. The 40 just came out in Sept, next canon prosumer model won't be coming out for over a year, only thing due from canon is a 5D upgrade/replacement. I haven't really seen a difference moving from the 8 to 10 mp myself.

International 4-8818
02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
But what is HDR? And is it in the camera or do you use software on the computer?

02-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Kaitou, I like all of your photos, especially the one with the cloudy sky over the field. Hope to see some more soon :)

02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow, your depth of field is awesome. I love the third one, the field, It looks like a picture with deep meaning. I mean the sky is dark and gray yet the ground is filled with color and life, it's awesome!! Great job. I took photography and I can apprieciate a great photograph when I see one.

Mira Kaiba
02-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow, these photos are gorgeous. I love the lighting on the second and third images. The second one has the wonderful light reflections on the building windows, which I love. Also, the angle is great. The contrast in colors from the field to the sky on the third one are also beautiful. These are fantastic HDR photos. ^^