PDA

View Full Version : Sakura's name? Unfair?

nekogrl
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Why did they change almost everybody else's name but only changed the way you pronounce "Sakura"??

I just think that's odd.

yilin
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
ya, that's right...
it's like sakura in naruto.... and sakura in cardcaptor....

it's a bit strange....

blackrosetwilight
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
sakura's a popular name and the reason in the diffrence in pronounciation is that back then dubber didnt really know how stress the japanese syllables correctly so you cant really blame them but hey dubbing has come a long way since the 80's

nekogrl
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I guess you're right...but they could've at least given her a different name...like...Laura or something. XD

CroSsplay!
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
sakura's a popular name and the reason in the diffrence in pronounciation is that back then dubber didnt really know how stress the japanese syllables correctly so you cant really blame them but hey dubbing has come a long way since the 80's
a long way is a huge understatement, i'm not a huge fan of dubing but i will say its gotten better. remember the old gundams they messed up the names badly lol.

dublover kikyo
02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess you're right...but they could've at least given her a different name...like...Laura or something. XD

Actually they wanted to rename her Nikki but than a lot of people complained so they kept with Sakura. As for the pronounciation, I guess they wanted to make it easier for little kids to pronounce.

YuyuiSakura
02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah in Japanese it pronounce 'Sa'kura
In dub they pronounce Sa'Ku'ra

Ωmega
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
...but then they'd have to change the name of the show to Card Captor Laura.

If her name wasnt it the title of the show, it wouldve been changed to something more American. But, since thats not the case, her name stayed

shinnraiu
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Lol I have a friend named Sakura and it's so funny how in all the english classes the teachers pronounce her name like the dub Sakura but all our Japanese students/teachers pronounce it correctly... Anyway it's so funny lol.
I think it's the "American" way to pronounce it or something. I don't know. It sounds so weird yet cute at the same time to me. XD

Elfy
03-07-2008, 01:54 AM
itis a bit odd, but you cant change the main title

Hautalken
03-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't really like the way people pronounce names wrong. I'm always getting my name pronounced wrong by so many people (doesn't mean you get to know my name though). I hate that. Laura would look wierd though.

Americans always go Se-kerr-ahh. HATE THAT!!

blackrosetwilight
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't really like the way people pronounce names wrong. I'm always getting my name pronounced wrong by so many people (doesn't mean you get to know my name though). I hate that. Laura would look wierd though.

Americans always go Se-kerr-ahh. HATE THAT!!

American? A large majority of dubber are Canadian. Though I got nothing agaianst them, just letting you know since one the biggest anime dubbing company who have dubbed many anime is in Vancouver.

don1
03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I think they mostly name character as Sakura because it is the popular name for them. (besides that, don't the sakura flower doesn't find in the place anywhere else except japan? I think they only use the popular japan's flower name, because the flower is beautiful, isn't it?)

HyperHacker
03-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Actually they wanted to rename her Nikki but than a lot of people complained so they kept with Sakura. As for the pronounciation, I guess they wanted to make it easier for little kids to pronounce.I recall reading on Wikipedia that it would have been too expensive to change all the parts where "Sakura" is written in English on stuff, or something silly like that. Either way, why did they have to change anyone's names? <_<

IchigoKiss
03-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Well people do have different accents but yes it may sound strange when dubbed but dude people have different accents and sakura is a very popular name ^-^

animeloverkamichama
05-12-2008, 11:40 PM
i guess that they just wanted the name to stay Sakura...even though it is kinda weird

Kagehime
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Dubbing has gotten better. Personally, I hate dubbing. >.< They ruin such good animes. Dx lol
I think what BlackRoseTwilight said is correct, with the syllable and such.
It's funny how in this one episode of Pokemon, there was this one girl named Sakura, but when she said her own name, she said it soo weirdly....I crack up laughing. I don't even know what she said. lol

inmoltalrain
05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
The thing about that name is that is "cute" and everyone love it (at list all the ppl i know) Well in spanish the name is pronounced the same way as in Japanise (maiby is cuz both of the lenguajes are kinda similar in the verb, and adverve kind of thing) o well.

jessidew95
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
there was an advert in england aboutselling a female robot called sakura but they pronounced it serk-your-ah

reigna
06-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Well people do have different accents but yes it may sound strange when dubbed but dude people have different accents and sakura is a very popular name ^-^

Yeah.. I agree with you

BurningBlazeX
06-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I still dont get what you mean by the title of the thread...how is it unfair? like, you WANTED her name to be changed? some of the other characters didnt get a name change. Like Li and Meilin...well i take back Li, they made his last name his first name in the dub...which i thought was pretty dumb