View Full Version : CONTEST: Rebirth

12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
New years is just literally around the corner. So, with that I thought we might try another contest. The forums have grown a lot since we last tried and I think we might get more involvement.

This contest is going to be a short story contest. There is really no limit on how long the story should be. Keep in mind that it is a short story, and not a 'five paragraph to win' story. By all means however if you can write a story that protrays the theme well with detail in 5 paragraphs, do it.

The theme is 'Rebirth'. Anything that is written and fits well with the theme will be judged by the users. However if I read a story and I don't think it fits well, I may ask you to explain how you feel it fits in the theme. if you explain yourself well, ill be more than happy to submit the story for voting.

How to submit your story. Please PM all entries to me via the pm system. If your story is too long to send via pm... Then send it in two. But if it's too long to send in one pm I may ask you to revise it so it's a short story. The pm title should read Contest: Rebirth. If it doesn't I won't count it. This is so I can easily scan my huge pm box for the contest entries.

Voting. Voting will be held as such. I will post each story in its own thread, and make ONE thread for voting with links to all the stories. When voting is complete I will merge all threads together and sticky them. Hopefully we could do one contest a month.

If you have any questions post them here. I might not be able to get back to them until monday, as I'm away for the holidays still. (I'm on my sidekick typing this hehe)

12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I have some questions:

1) When is the contest deadline?

2) Are there any prizes (big or small) being offered?

3) Does it have to be based on a pre-established series (Sailor Moon, Naruto, etc.), or can it be something we made up on our own?

4) Can the stories be "R"-rated, or do you want them strictly G-rated or PG-rated?

12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
I shall try my best.

*Does an evil laugh and pops his fingers*

My only question would be does it have to be fiction or can it be non-fiction?

12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
1. Contest deadline is january 20th. That's like 20 days to complete a story and a week to judge.

2. I'll probably lay down like 10k dinars to the winner and 5k to second place, and 1k to third. That's usually how all my prizes get doled out. Plus for first place I'll make a winning banner that you can place in your signature. Also: I will be pinning the winning story until the next contest's winner is announced.

3. I actually didn't think about making anyone base it off of anything. That'd make things harder for sure, but for now it can be anything fiction or non. Fanbased or not.

4. Generally speaking I don't like most aspects of 'R' rating. I perfer to merely say using your best judgement when posting your work here, is best. I don't allow X rated fictions, and I usually don't allow sexually based fictions. I don't like swearing (hell, damn, arse, etc are usually alright if they aren't used excessively.) If you feel you can't write this subject accurately without swearing, pm me the unedited story and ill see what we can do.

I think I covered everything! But really it can be based on anything, real life or otherwise!

12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Oooh! Just the kind of encouragement I need to settle down and actually WRITE something. No more of this "million ideas" nonsense.

I love writing contests ^^ Hope this catches on.

Edit: As a suggestion, I would restrict it to original fiction/non-fiction. No fanfiction. I know this is a fanfiction forum, but for that very reason there could be bias towards a popular series. This is member-voted, after all.

12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Well... I could do that for other ones, but this one I already wanted to rip off anime characters... hehehe.

01-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Cmon guys! I need to know if people are doing this or not.

Mira Kaiba
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey hey, I'm in, but I somewhat agree with Fabala - I think this one should not be required to be fanfiction. I will be entering! *hehehe* ^^

Jagan Eye
01-01-2008, 04:07 PM
This sounds like fun. I'll enter. Though I don't think people notice this part of the forum much, so maybe putting a notice in the News and Such section will get more entrants.

01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I am also interested Dorian. I have some ideas, I just don't know if I will be able to keep it short enough.

01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Count me in on this one as well. Will submit once I figure out what to write ....

01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I've gotten one entry, and I'm writing mine now.

Just to be clear, you do NOT have to base this off of anything. It can be an original fiction as well as a fanfiction.

Flah Blah
01-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I think I'll participate in this one.

Question: Does the story have to have some sort of good/happy ending? Or can an antagonist be the victor or leave the world to some sort of melancholy finish?

01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
It can, as long as it fits with the theme. :D

01-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Hmm, I'm pretty new to this place and its people as well as contests, but I might as well enter. That is if I could actually throw together something plausible enough for this abstract theme. =) It might even give me some inspiration for my works in progress.

Edit: Alright, I've submitted mine. I hope it fits the theme enough for you to accept it. Took very little time, huh? Then again, it's a short piece.

Knuffle Bunny
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I'll enter too, but I might now finish it.
If I decide to back out last minute...sorry x3

01-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Great. I'll enter! My first contest...fun

I work well with emotional or abstract themes. I sue a lot of metaphorical text also. And a lot of adjectives.

01-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm writing it right now. Can't wait to submit it and read the other entries. :P

01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
holy crap. i just got like 4 entries.

now i have to sit down and read them all... this calls for... MY LAPTOP! (Cos I'm sick... sitting up hurts. hehe.)

01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
*raises hand* Mine is ridiculously short. I'm sure you'll have no problem finishing it. ^^; Although.. should you really be reading at all given the fact that you're sick? =( Maybe you should just rest instead? Read them tomorrow or something.

01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
yo count me in all give it ago

01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
If I read while I'm sick, I'll be less critical.

Or more of a jerk...

01-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I seriously have gotten about 6 more entries than I expected to get.

01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
^^; Out of curiosity, how many did you expect to get?

01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah well i've never done a fan fic before, and i am not really clear on what this theme of "rebirth" is... are you like talking about a story of someone dying and being born again? Im confused... can it be from like Death Note?

01-05-2008, 03:51 AM
I don't think this contest is really a 'fanfic' contest. You can write original fiction too where you can make up characters. I think she meant write a short story and the theme of it will be 'rebirth'. Seeing as it's an abstract theme, you can look at it from many different angles and get many different results. It doesn't really have to mean 'dying' and being 'reborn' literally. Am I making any sense?

01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
^^; Out of curiosity, how many did you expect to get?
like 2-3.

If you can't conjure up a billion images and ideas from the word "rebirth" then maybe you shouldn't consider writing anything. I mean honestly... If you can't grasp the concept or read the entire thread where the theme's been explained, then you shouldn't participate.

Rebirth can mean many, many things. Rising from the dead could be one of them. A emotional transformation can be another. Turning over a new leaf can be another.

01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Rebirth can mean many, many things. Rising from the dead could be one of them. A emotional transformation can be another. Turning over a new leaf can be another.

Wouldn't reincarnation fall under there too?

01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll be sending mine in a moment. (I actually wrote - and finished - it the same night I asked those questions...but I was waiting from more responses from my friends. 'Cuz you know, if they thought it sucked then I'd need more time to change it or do something else. xD)

How many have you gotten so far, if you don't mind my asking?

01-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I seriously have gotten about 6 more entries than I expected to get.

I'm almost done mine, so you're probably going to get a lot more in the next few days.

01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Just a question. Can we write more stories or is it restricted to one entry per person? I'm thinking of writing but that'll have to wait until I feel better.

01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Reincarnation works too.

I think I have like 8 or 10 entries. I'd have to count. I just need to remember Kie's entry is in my mailbox and not my inbox on the forums X.x

I dont even know if I'm going to write one... I had an idea, and it flew away.

I think one entry per person. Poetry contests I dont think I'll really limit it in such a way.

01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
hmmmm.. when i think about rebirth, all that really comes to mind is Poetry and like uhhh pink floyd songs... hmmm i'll probably give this a try...

01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Hehe you're using an avatar I made. XD

I dunno how rebirth = poetry. Maybe we can do a rebirth poetry contest later :o

01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Just a heads up, since we have so many entries, I think I'll accept like 3 more. (Mainly waiting for people who said they'd do it but haven't yet.)

Another heads up, if I'm not here on the 20th to post the new thread, just gimmie time. I went to the emergancy room yesterday, and the doctor told me to get rest and relaxation and stay away from stress. So I'm not going to be home with my crazy family and I'm not going to have the internet.

Jagan Eye
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
If you are only accepting 3 more, I don't think I'll have the time to complete mine because I was planning on turning it closer to the deadline [around the 19th-ish].

01-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Just turn it in anyway. That IS the deadline. I just really really dont want to end up with 50 entries.

I didnt think I'd get this many entries. Last time I got one.

01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Just a heads up, since we have so many entries, I think I'll accept like 3 more. (Mainly waiting for people who said they'd do it but haven't yet.)

Another heads up, if I'm not here on the 20th to post the new thread, just gimmie time. I went to the emergancy room yesterday, and the doctor told me to get rest and relaxation and stay away from stress. So I'm not going to be home with my crazy family and I'm not going to have the internet.

This may be entirely out of the topic but I hope you get well soon. On another note, I've gotten my story together, some edits and it'll be good to submit :)

01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
It can be however you interpret it...

01-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok... since we've submitted, is this where we start offering bribes too? lol... j/k

01-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I just wanted to wish everyone who entered this contest good luck and to thank Dorian for having this contest.

01-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Are we sucking up already? XD Keep in mind this is member-voted, people.

01-08-2008, 03:38 AM
awe shucks... forgot about that point... and I don't have that many points too >_<

wait... here's a question.. what's stopping us from voting for our own stories?

01-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Conscience? XD But if you figure everyone votes once for their own story, then everyone is even, eh? Though I suppose Aies could throw in a rule about not voting for your own. Spice things up XD

01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Are we sucking up already? XD Keep in mind this is member-voted, people.

What!? Do you have something against me being nice? lol
To tell you the truth I wasn't even thinking when I posted.:rolleyes: You know like I always do, cause thats how I roll.:ninja:

Knuffle Bunny
01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I PMed you Dorian and you haven't replied back yet ^^;

My question was this, my story is something around 17800 characters but it will only allow me to post 5000 characters, what do I do?

01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I PMed you Dorian and you haven't replied back yet ^^;

My question was this, my story is something around 17800 characters but it will only allow me to post 5000 characters, what do I do?
Email it to me or send in multiple messages. My email is brodystfu at gmail

And um... you know. I don't care if people vote for themselves hehe.

But I might not be able to post up voting until febuary. SO THAT MEANS YOU MAY HAVE LONGER TO SUBMIT HEHE!

I also was thinking that all members votes will be 1. Mine, Rei's and my comod will be 5. (I say comod cos I forget how to spell his name... ichiro ichigo.... and Rei's in there because I used to be HER comod and I respect her artisitic points on all fronts. If LPS votes her vote will also be 5. Same for certain members who I feel are great writers and contributers. I won't specify who though, hehe.)

01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, then we certainly should be restricted from voting for our own, lol. Though I wouldn't anyway and, besides, would have to get around to submitting something first XD

This topic is maddening. I have ideas, but none are "OMG I must write that right now!" type ideas =/

Ooh, one more question. Are authors' names going to be revealed while voting, or only after?

01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, then we certainly should be restricted from voting for our own, lol. Though I wouldn't anyway and, besides, would have to get around to submitting something first XD

This topic is maddening. I have ideas, but none are "OMG I must write that right now!" type ideas =/

Ooh, one more question. Are authors' names going to be revealed while voting, or only after?

Only after, that way people won't vote for their friends. You'll also have to write why you liked it best than all the others. I may allow people to vote 3 times

01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
You could do it the Aussie politics way and have everyone pick 3 with their first choice being the one they think is best. Then assign something like 3 points for the 1st choice, 2 points for the 2nd choice, and 1 point for the 3rd choice. I always rather liked that method ^^

Sounds like more than one vote isn't a bad idea with the number of stories you'll end up with ^_~

01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I kinda like that.

I should have time online tomorrow and the next day, on a real computer. So ill read all the pms I got and email people back if there's any problems.

I don't thinkthere will be though.

Knuffle Bunny
01-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I sent you my story as an attachment to brodystfu at gmail.

I think Fabala's voting method sounds reasonable, 3 for first, 2 for second, 1 for third.

01-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I agree; Fabala's voting method sounds cool. ^^

Question: I just realized...if you got a lot of stories, how's this forum going to work? Is each story going to get one thread, or will they all be inside of one thread?

And what'll happen to the rest of the fanfics (stories written by people who are NOT part of this contest)? Things could get very crowded...so will the contest be held in a separate forum or something? Or will you prevent people from making new threads until the contest is over?

I'm just wondering how this contest will affect the rest of the fanfic writers, in terms of when/where they can post their work.

01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I'll post ONE thread for voting.

I'll post each story in a seperate thread. One thread for each story. The voting thread will have links to ALL other threads. All of the contest threads will be closed. When the contest voting is over, I will move them all to the trash, and post the first second and third place winners in a "WINNER" thread, that will be pinned at the top of the forum until whenever the new conest winners are announced.

01-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I've sent you an email. I didn't think it would be too long as to not fit into PM. >_> I also agree with the voting. It sounds fair to me.

Lune Cy
01-12-2008, 08:56 PM
i mailed mine...Rogues Dilemma

01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I've gotten emails from Kie, Cissy and Dyna.

Is that everyone?

01-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah, Dyna is actually me. I remember putting my user name. But I don't remember writing the story title! Do I have to do that? But I figure Rebirth is the title, no?

01-13-2008, 03:39 AM
I've never heard of a story contest forcing contestants to use a single title. I know I would never enter one. Coming up with the perfect title is one of my favorite parts of writing ;p

Anyway. Aies, have you nailed down a solid closing date for entries yet? I'm still waiting for that light bulb of inspiration to flicker on. Hopefully soon! Maybe going to a writing group tomorrow will help XD

01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Here's another question. Erm, if I've been rereading my piece and noted a typo, am I still allowed to make changes? I really wanna kick myself in the butt for that (>_<)....arrrgghhhh!!!!

01-15-2008, 08:46 PM
@Fabala: I think you can name the story whatever you want. But the theme has to be "reincarnation". I gave my story its own unique title, and I really don't think it'll be banned from the contest.

Mira Kaiba
01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, I sent you my story early last week by pm. I did have to send it in four different pms - if you want I can re-email to you if you didn't get it.

01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Ill check my pms right now. But... I dunno how well it will work cos I'm on my sidekick. I might try to use my boys laptop later. I still have to write my story!!

But yeah, you don't have to name the story rebirth.

When the contest is over even you could post the story as 'Rebirth: name of story' then just mention the story was originally written for the contest.

That'd be neat. Like ... neat as in tidy!

Ummm what other questions were there? The contest still is ending on the 20ths or whatever original date I put. I may extend it if anyone needs a few more days.

Personally... I haven't gotten to write a damn thing :( so I might extend it for myself and be greedy. I just haven't anything to write on! Literally. No paper, no compu.... :(

01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Does your phone have text messages. Save it as a draft on your sidekick, it may be a pain. But its all you got. I've done that when I had a spurt of creativity and couldn't find anything to write or type on. If you can get to your email service save it as a draft on their so you don't have to re-type...

01-16-2008, 08:24 PM
The old paper and pen should suffice too if all other electronics fail. What about my question on the edits and typos? :)

01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I hope you can submit revisions Hypergraphian, 'cuz I caught a typo in my story too. ( ^^;; ) It's minor, but still...

And thanks for explaining how the contest threads work, Dorian! =)

01-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Ummm what other questions were there? The contest still is ending on the 20ths or whatever original date I put. I may extend it if anyone needs a few more days.

Personally... I haven't gotten to write a damn thing :( so I might extend it for myself and be greedy. I just haven't anything to write on! Literally. No paper, no compu.... :(

I for one wouldn't be adverse to an extension XD I've been too stressed to concentrate on much of anything lately. That all ends tonight! Or, at least, this stress ends and another, brand spanking new one begins. Yay.

01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh wow, I just read up on this contest... But it's too late for me to enter now I guess.. Lol just looking through some of my unused fanfics, and one of them fits the whole rebirth idea quite well...

Just that I haven't finished yet, it being about a page of paragraphs... :(

Another time I guess!

01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
You still have time to write something. I started something last night. One page so far. I think I got four pages before its over.

I'm going to try to get on those pms now. I think if you just send me another copy of the story with the revisions that.'s be fine. Then I can delete the old one and keep track of it.

01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Okay. Extended until the 22nd for now.

I just realized its the 17th. I don't think I can be done by the 20th.

Also, I'm thinking up the next contest ideas. Feel free to post suggestions in this thread.

Something about love or crap. I was personally thinking Adultry. Hehe

01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Idea's? The one thing I am good for. XD

"A Shattered Heart"
"picking up the peices"
"piecing it together"
"Renewal, rejoyce, re-love?"
"Burning Hearts"
"King(or Queen) of Hearts"
"Hearts Together, Worlds Apart"
and lastly.

EDIT: After thinking about those random ideas. I think about self-help books and those little paper back books with the guy from the "I can't believe its not real butter" commercial on the cover.

01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I like challenges that force you to use a small word count (flash fiction) or that give you a line of, say, dialogue that must be included in the story, but in any context the author wishes. Or, another old favorite gives people a setting and an emotion they must convey through their story using all aspects of storytelling.

Oh, what fun!

01-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Those are good ideas. Why not the same starting scenes or senarios then let us build from there. Similar to inserting a particular dialog or line in the story but this one gives us more freedom to toy around with the plot lines.

If you're thinking adultery for the next idea. Oh dear, be prepared for another cuckoo inspired story from me then :P

01-18-2008, 02:44 AM
>.> I don't think I could keep an adultery story at a "G" rating, frankly.

Heh heh.

01-18-2008, 03:05 AM
>.> I don't think I could keep an adultery story at a "G" rating, frankly.

Heh heh.

Hahahahaha.... My thoughts exactly. I mean how can you keep yourself from having fun with a topic like that??? Not to mention kinky fun... I already have thoughts of S&M partner betrayals swimming in my mind... Alright, too much information... sorry :redface:

01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Oh man. Hehehe. Well I usually let stories be PG-13 so that allows a lot more content. I do really like the idea of having other binding restrictions instead of a theme.

That does give me ideas though. I could still do an adultry type of deal. I already got a great idea for it. Hehehe. I do like the one liner thing that you must include in the story.

I got it. It's perfect. How about...

'That will teach (him/her) to cheat on me!'

You like? Do you think that's diverse enough?

01-19-2008, 02:57 AM
Ah, that's good. But I'll have to think about the story. My entry for this contest is bad enough. Gotta imagine more. My brain's all clogged up.

01-19-2008, 07:38 AM
I got it. It's perfect. How about...

'That will teach (him/her) to cheat on me!'

You like? Do you think that's diverse enough?

I dunno. I find the ones that work best are the less obvious lines that will take some creativity to work in. Something like, "Oh, it broke."

01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
... oh it broke.

Yes. That's totally PG-13.

.... hehe.

How about... hmmm less obvious.

What's this tape?
Who's number is this?
This isn't my size!
Who's car is in the driveway?
Why is that woman staring at me?

I'm bad at this hehe

01-19-2008, 09:40 PM
"You got red on you." Double meaning, possibly misleading. Red what?

01-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Hehe someone had their period!!!!

01-20-2008, 12:32 AM
... oh it broke.

Yes. That's totally PG-13.

lol. Only if you have a dirty mind. The point of a line like that is not to force the author into writing their story in any particular way. The line doesn't have to be the focus of the story, or even relate to the focus of the story. In fact, I think it's more fun when it doesn't. It's harder to incorporate it, sure, but allows for greater creativity.

In other words, telling someone to write a romance with the line, "That clown is looking at me funny," is infinitely more interesting than telling them to write a romance with the line, "I love you."

01-20-2008, 02:33 AM
XD. I was thinking along the lines of lipstick or maybe rubbed out red pen ink, but that proves my point.
Make sure its not too complex and a bit vague, for various uses.

01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
"Oh it broke..." Giving me this line will be like torture... imagine how many chains I'll have to use to restrain myself from turning this into a gruesome cut-up story... or a perverse one...

Alright, that's it... i need to have my brain washed.... anyone got some soap?

Anyway, my point was that vague lines would make it pretty imaginative as well. But I wonder whether we should set a rule that the line must be the focus of the entire story context. Otherwise, wouldn't it be rather pointless if someone just inserted it as a line of conversation into their story body....

eg. :
Peter stood underneath the willow tree in quiet contemplation. It was hard to believe he was there as a different man; a grown man. He clutched the old rusty lock tightly. Somehow, those distant memories no longer haunted him, caged by his own prison lock and key. He clenched tighter and then, he felt it crumble. Looking down, he opened his fist and there before him the old rusty lock lay broken. A small smirked crossed his lips as he thought, "Oh, it broke".

as opposed to eg:
Sasuke arrived at Naruto's place, furious that he'd taken his MP3 player, or rather stolen it on purpose. Banging on the door loudly he shouted, "Oi, dobe! Open the damn door! I want my player back!"
A creak sounded as the door opened slowly to reveal a red faced Naruto - hand behind his head; the usual dorky expression portrayed whenever he had done something wrong or stupid.

"Err... hi.." The blonde greeted sheepishly, whilst Sasuke's gave him a death-glare.
"So, where is it?"
Naruto's nerves hightened at the menacing tone and he stuttered, "Oh, it-it broke?"

Although, I could easily turn example number two into a juicy fanfic making the broken MP3 player the root of all juicy evils.

OKAY WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? I'll stop now I promise.... sheesh....

01-20-2008, 02:22 PM
..... you tainted this thread with Naruto.

I see where everyone's going though.

How about Rei just come up with the thingy for Febuary. :D

01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
ONE MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on chapter three of mine, so I should finish in time.

ANYONE need an extention? NOW IS THE TIME TO POST

01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I guess I'll just toss in the towel on this one =/ I haven't been feeling well yesterday and today and not really inspired by the subject as a whole.

So no, no extension.

01-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Okay. You just conentrate on what Febuary will be about.

01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Ah... so is February Adultery or "Oh it broke"?

01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
hehe. oh it broke.

why not.

it amuses me.

to no end.

01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
One line of dialogue is "I'm not the bush."
Say it out load a few times and then think about it.

But since you may think it have relevence to the february contest, IT DOESN'T so don't put it in the gutter too.

I would post its meaning but that'd ruin everything.

01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE]I... Don't get it.

01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Damnit Ai, you're gonna post those everywhere now, huh?

Meh, you have my entry in all its glory.

01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
It must be posted.

Everywhere. Spread the love, annoy manhatten!

I only say the annoy manhatten part cos he wont read it in here

01-22-2008, 03:41 AM
SGI told me that had been resurrected. Hahaha! I love it!

01-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Contest postponed until like.. I dunno, whenever I get internet working at my boyfriends.

01-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Oh? Any idea when that will be? Rough estimate? If it's a significant amount of time I may try to get to creative juices flowing again.

01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I dunno, maybe like 5 days or more. I don't get this wireless thing. It says I have an ace connection, but it won't receive anything...

01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow, I've been gone a while. Being sick with the flu sucks. (x_x) Don't catch the flu, kids. Or an STD. Not that I've caught the latter, but I hear they're terrible. x___x

Anyway!! (^^) I'm looking forward to this contest, and I hope I'll be able to read all the entries soon.

PS: How many people ended up entering the contest, Dorian?

01-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Um... I don't know. At LEAST 15.

If anyone might be able to help me with my connection errors... my sidekick aim is BrodyIsATwat.

So like just msg me on that thurr

01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Does anyone need anymore time or anything? Because I can have this all closed and fixed up by the 4th of febuary.

01-27-2008, 01:46 AM
...if anyone still needs to send revisions nows the time.

with a PM titled "revisions" or something like that.

01-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Will the posted stories be opened for review?

01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
What do you mean?

01-28-2008, 10:34 PM
For commenting?

01-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Question: Can anyone find that answer in this thread?

01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
All of the contest threads will be closed.

So no reviewing.

01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Good, because my entry isn't for critics.

01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
So no reviewing.

To add to that, Aies also said you are free to post the story up yourself after the contest. So if you want reviews, do that.

01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
aiks... my bad... sorry...

01-30-2008, 10:13 AM

I like being a smart alec, I do I do!

02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh my Gods!!! Ppl read the sticky and go vote!!!! The voting thread's up already :D

02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah dudes, cmon.

02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
lol.... some issue about being biased.. if I vote for my own piece I'll feel like an overconfident shmuck and I can't not vote for my piece since I do really like my stuff... which does make me an overconfident shmuck.... hahaha.... in short... I think I might choose not to vote, or do I not have a choice?

02-19-2008, 11:35 AM

and you can't vote for yours anyway. =p

02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
lol... alright... I'll vote :)

EDIT : you know, it may get to a point where bribery is needed for votes *snickers*

02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm all for bribery. I can be a world class procrastinator without some incentive XDDD

02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
every contest i had to beg for votes.. :(

02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Why don't you set up a poll in the actual contest threads? It can look like this:

How would you rate this story?:
3 - I really enjoyed reading it!
2 - It was okay; not the greatest, but still good.
1 - It was terrible. There were lots of things I didn't like.

Of course, at the end of the contest you'd have to tally up the results (by adding them all together and getting some sort of average), but whatever. You'd have to get an average either way. xD

This would be easier than making people remember the number of their favorite story and then state WHY they like the story. I think getting people to write why they did things is the big turn-off here, and why people aren't voting.

Plus (if the point of them writing is for the authors to get feedback), you can always open the threads at the end of the contest and people can post their opinions/compliments/critiques there. (^^) It'd be easier for the authors too, 'cuz then they'd know that all the comments being posted are for them and them only.

02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm doing it this way, because when I had avatar contests, and poetry contests like that, people would just tell their friends to hit number x for their entry. We also had people signing on multiple accounts to vote for themselves.

The forum's system for voting isn't the best ever. The best one I found so far to be, would be having people vote, and then me tallying the thread's comments.

Plus, I also want to make sure people aren't just voting randomly or for their friends, by making them post why they voted for each entry.

02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow. =\ I definitely understand why you're doing things this way now.

Now I'm not really a pro when it comes to PHP/HTML/forums/etc., but isn't there some way you can allow each IP address to only vote once? (You'd probably need a JavaScript code to do that.)

I'm not sure if that'd be a heck of a lot more trouble (or if it's so simple that all you need to do is find/copy/paste the code here), but I thought I'd mention it.

02-20-2008, 10:15 AM
There is! But, a lot of users can just restart their internet and get a new IP. I was hoping to bug Aaron to make something to use to vote, but I couldn't find anything that was ultra amazing.

I did find a voting site, where you can start a poll and have people vote, where you can't vote more than once from an IP, but I wouldn't be able to see all the ip's to see what are similar or some users.

I just good repped you and you're not red anymore.

02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Plus, that would prove troublesome to people voting from the same IP ;p If, say, I can gt SGI to vote.

02-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, this is pretty tough to solve. On the one hand you have people who wish to remain anonymous with their votes and on the other you have to ensure people don't SPAM votes. I'm not sure how the system works and have no idea about the technical aspects of the forum but I've thought up about a couple of ways to strike a balance between the two problems :-

a) Send all votes to the mods. The mods will count. The good part to this is that you still know who is voting and who is spamming, plus the writers won't know who did or did not vote for their story. The bad? A lot of work for the mods, if indeed this increases the number of votes. One other problem that could arise is that the writers start demanding a recount because they don't see the votes.

b) What about removing the "why" description for all the aspects? If a writer really wanted to they could create multiple accounts and cast in their votes with reasons fully stated anyway. I think it could get a little tough for the less experienced writer to fully articulate their opinions. They may be able to say whether they like it or not, but they wouldn't be able to advice which parts or what about it they liked unless they can properly and accurately identify the reasons.

Hmm, then again, those may not be very solid suggestions.

02-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't really think you understand the point of the way I have the voting.

It really isn't up for discussion, this is how it is for this contest, and I'm not changing it in the middle of voting.

02-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh goodness, agreed there should be no change of system now. Otherwise the earlier votes wouldn't count. Was just trying to see if there's a way to improve it for future contests. We know how hard you're trying to make this work and are offering whatever we can try to help so that you don't have to beg for those votes. (>_<)

02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
O_O (senses the tension and backs away)

And yay for being good repped! Thank you! =D

Hopefully someone will come up with a nice, more perfect way for people to vote next time. I somehow doubt that person will be me though. Especially since my newest "ideas" are probably...illegal. ._.

You know...threatening to ban people or giving them a virus if they don't vote.

That IS illegal, right? 'Cuz if not, I know some guys... >.>

02-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah probably. I'm going to start a thread in Misc for it later.

I don't think you guys realize how many contests I've done on this site. This is the only foolproof way to cut down on cheating. The other ways I've had, I've caught people cheating numerous times. Even -staff- cheated on those. But if people have to write why? There's less of a chance of cheating.

02-28-2008, 04:59 PM
removed because they stated which entry theirs was

02-28-2008, 06:05 PM

voting is supposed to be unbiased, so dont tell people what entry yours is.