PDA

View Full Version : New camera choice

overwatch
11-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok I searched about and did not find a thread like this - I hope one such as this is allowed in this section
I am getting a new digital camera soon and was wondering if any here could give me any advice - its an area where I have very little understanding.
I am based in the UK
My budget is around 400
I am intending to use the camera for both close up detailed shots and larger, more scenic shots as well
So far I have been recomended to look at SLR digital cameras
I have also had the recomendation of the following producer; Olympus

as you can see I am rather out of my depth, so before I wander into shops any adivce that can be given would be greatly appreciated

Yuuki Kurosu
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Hmmm..I have an Olympus and it works pretty well for close ups. I am not intirely sure about the larger part. But other then that Olympus is a pretty good choice on my part. ^-^ My camera wasn't to terribly expensive either. So yeah. I hope I was of the slightest bit of help. And when you do get your new camera, I would love to see some pictures =D !
~Sakura-chan

Kaitou Ace
11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Oly's are ok, but I'd look at the Canon 350D / 400D, you may be able to get one for around that price, the lens selection tends to be a bit nicer, I started with the 350D (aka Rebel XT) and it's a very nice piece of hardware.

MuZ0NaZ
11-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes get used/new Canon EOS 350/400D or used Nikon D50/70, just not D40. Both Canon and Nikon have more lenses for you to choose from than Olympus does.

overwatch
11-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Well I have look the the recomended cannon cameras and so far the only comlaint I have found is that the lens supplied with the camera is of a poor quality when compared to the cameras abilities and the other lenses for sale by cannon - would that be your findings?

DarkMoonPrince
11-26-2007, 09:16 AM
I pretty much use an Olympus Super Slim 8MP and a Canon 7MP Face Detection. Useful to me.

Kaitou Ace
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
The kit lens isn't the best, but it's passable. You'd definitely get better quality from a different lens, but I've seen some decent work done with it. You may get better range from a Sigma lens like the 18-125, which is optically close to the Canon kit lens, but the kit would focus faster. You can see some examples of the 18-55 on a 350D here: http://flickr.com/search/groups/?q=18-55&w=86943143%40N00&m=pool (Not my photos, I have the lens but never really used it).

And Nikon is definitely a good option as well, but avoid the D40 as it's somewhat crippled compared do their other offerings.

MuZ0NaZ
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Canon 18-55 isn't THAT bad, you just get what you pay for. There are many better lenses, but the kit one is really decent for figuring out what you want and it'll be plenty while you're learning. If you want to shoot in low light or just play around with shallow depth of field, just pick up a 50mm f/1.8 lens for like 60 pounds - it's worth every single penny. New Canon EOS 350D kit+50mm f/1.8 would set you back about 410-420 pounds.

overwatch
11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help - I will tell show how things go (if I can work out how to take images ;))

Yuuki Kurosu
11-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh geez o-o; Confuzzling. I know some basics but this is in over my head xD Lol. Yeah, I hope that everything turns out well ^-^

overwatch
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
HELP!
Well in the end I went for the canon EOS 400D camera, however the drivers for the camera do not want to install onto vista. I have tried both the xp and 2000 drivers using compatability mode and there was no luck.
I have pestered canon, but am asking here incase any present know a solution to the problem

MuZ0NaZ
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Good choice - however neither can I use Canon drivers on XP x64, so I suggest you get the cheapest (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-15-1-Microdrive-MMCmobile/dp/B000CDITCQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196281217&sr=8-1) USB compact-flash card reader you can find, it's much better than hooking the camera up via USB - sadly it isn't free...

overwatch
11-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Free vista tip - restarting after instaling stuff does not work every time. You have to turn of the computer as normal - leave it a moment and then turn it back on - preferable before getting a mulit card reader (cure murphy and his law)

now if only the sky would clear

FierceFeli.
01-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I prefer canon cameras because they are very easy to understand, to handle, and they do take grat shots. Plus side they doesn't cost a fortune!

You should check out the Canon Digital Ixus models. I had my Digital ixus 40 for two years, dropped it pretty much everywhere and it can still take wonderful pictures. The only thing bad with it is that it isn't weatherproof. but, it can take a little rain, at least mine can ;)