PDA

View Full Version : Good topics for a satire?

KuroTan
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
We've been reading "A modest proposal (http://emotionalliteracyeducation.com/classic_books_online/mdprp10.htm)" (a link for those of you who want to read it.) by Swift in English 101 and I've been assigned to write a similar piece about proposing an outrageous remedy to a real problem. It's pretty much a satire and I need a good, original topic to write on. First thing that popped into my mind was global warming but that's been discussed too much already. Any helpful ideas?

*edit*

I'm just looking for a topic, not a complete essay, in case some of you might think I'm letting you do my homework.

overwatch
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Well here are some ideas - not sure how original they are though:
overpopulation
gang violence
approaching asteroids
power supplies (electricity - and thats not just the eco group type of supply)
drunken activities
football hooligans
illegal raves
overcrowding in graveyards (thats bodies not morners)

Well that's all I can think of, say if you want more detail on a problem - as for a solution, well you have to do some part of your prep yourself

Buruku
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I had to do a similar paper in high school...I think I talked about how we should take all the weak, disabled, mentally retarded, and sick people and kill them, like how we do with animals. I talked about the benefits of "only the strong surviving" though I made it satirical. Not sure if that helps at all.

PanzerJager
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
ohh.. heres one:

as a solution to racism in our society I think everyone should paint themselves a color (of your choice).

hope it was helpful (and i don't think it was).. :unsure:

edit:
from now on im going to scan my homework onto this site and have you guys do my trig and calc stuff... (im not going to, but its not a bad idea).

CapnJack
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
How about taking care of the hopeless, incureable criminals packing are prisons.

Comedian, George Carlin, thought about moving everyone out of four states in the US and dropping them into there with huge 10 story walls surrounding it.

Violent Criminals - Kansas
Sex Criminals - Wyoming
Drug addicts and alcoholics - Colorado (sorry Brooke ^^; )
Maniacs and Crazy people - Utah

This is of course not an original idea. But its a start for thinking up a satirical idea for overpacked prisons.

OminousCloud
10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Overpopulation would be a good one, you might be able to include a "This is SPARTA" reference by pushing people in wells... blasting them off to outer space works too xD

Music Fiend
10-11-2007, 04:07 AM
Lol. I actually did the almost EXACT same assignment in Honors English last year, lol: same piece of literature, written by the same guy; same thing asked of us for the assignment.

I did my paper of Video games, concerning the violence and sexual themes, and congressmen/uptight peons/lazy parents wanting them banned, severely limited, or made completely un-purchasable for by any person under 17 or 18. It was a good paper from me, and got some laughs...and a 94 A-. ;O (Turned it in late - would have had a 97 A.)

Baka
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Ninja cheerleaders who get drunk and forget they are ninjas.

Variados
10-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Immigration?
Obesity....
Freedom of speech
Money
Government
Advertisements
abortion

The story "Modest proposal" is quite creepy, I liked it....but creepy.