PDA

View Full Version : What tenchi series do you think is the best

Tenchi_fan
09-26-2007, 07:40 PM
What tenchi series do you think is the best?
I like the first Tenchi Muyo series that came out, (you know, the one that has the white haired Kagato in it).
In my opinion the originals are always the best.;)

(Thinks to herself;"wow, not many Tenchi Muyo fans.")

mythroch
10-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I guess my irritation is with the fact that the story resets each series, instead of continuing. so the best series for me would also have to the OVA, even though i watched the other ones just to see how the differed.

(And what the blankity blank is Pretty Sammy all about? Please!!!!!)

Tenchi_fan
10-04-2007, 08:43 PM
It is kinda stupid that they reseted the story on each series that came out.
And actually they did continue the series, but they only made seven episoides, and it was not nearly as good as the OVA.
:unsure: And I have no idea what Pretty Sammy is.
Is it part of the Tenchi Muyo series?

VraieEsprit
10-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Pretty Sammy is a Sasami spinoff based around Sasami and Tsunami in a sort of spoofish setting. It's not too bad but more of a kids series I'd say. Plus aside from the Pretty Sammy OVA, it's not dubbed into English...it only exists in subtitled Japanese form. At least as far as I've seen.

The major positive in Pretty Sammy is her friend Misao and her alter-ego Pixy Misa.

Essentially it's a mahou shoujo anime - I'm sure it's spoofing Sailor Moon at times, actually. Sasami is chosen by Tsunami, the elected Queen of Juraihelm to bring the world into balance and to create some kind of a link with Earth. And her main rival for the throne, Rumia, is trying to thwart her using Misao as Pixy Misa. (Except Misao has no idea she is Misa).

I think the Magical Project S storyline is better than the rather rushed OVA...but that's just me. I haven't watched it in a long time. Yokoyama Chisa's Sasami voice grates on the ears a lot at times ;)

Pretty much every Tenchi fan says that the OVA is the best series. And it has some really cool concepts going on in it. Washu and Ryouko's connection is very neat and so is Sasami and Tsunami's. It was the first series I saw and I'm still really fond of it - especially the OVA 1. But the OVA 3 really disappointed me with its information dumping and it';s focus on unecessary plot - it seemed more like an advert for the GXP and it tied way too much to the Shin novels - with which the OVA 1 at least conflicts. I'm not of the thought process that just because the original creator was behind it it's gotta be the best or official canon. OVA 3 badly misses Hasegawa-san's influence. ^_^. She was after all the screenplay writer for the OVA 1...she was NOT involved in the OVA 3. Nuff said, right? Nuff said.

Probably I'd say that (partly because of the disaster that is the OVA 3) my favourite series is Tenchi Universe (actually, people mayn't know that the final movie sequel to Universe, Tenchi Forever had Kajishima-san's direct influence on it, so I suppose this timeline isn't so far removed from canon after all). But I'm not a purist and I love Universe for a few reasons. Namely:

#1: The characters are not hyper-powerful beings. They're more normalised and I like this better. I really dislike the choushin concept - if you're all powerful, what's the point?

#2: Kiyone is in it. Do I need to explain that? Noike is a really really poor excuse for a replacement :P

#3: The time scale is more normalised. No thousands of years involved. That always irked me in the OVA.

#4: There's not much that happens in the OVA which Tenchi Universe actively contradicts. When I began writing fanfic I wrote from that premise and actually most of the OVA concepts can make sense in the TU setting.

#5: TU puts a lot of emphasis on character interaction. In a sense it's far better handled than the OVA, which often delays relationships by insisting on explaining them actively. It's always better if a show explains something by doing rather than by telling. Most of the time the OVA balances on the line in the telling stakes. Sometimes it crosses over. Universe never does.

#6: Kagato Jurai is possibly the best villain in Tenchi Muyou. I say possibly only because of my ongoing fondness for Seiryo :P But that's another story completely... I know a lot of people like original Kagato and I do too. But I also love the idea of the renegade Prince and the way Yousho is worked into the TU series. It's much more emphatically done somehow.

#7: The music score. I love Renai no Jikuu and Towa Ni and the way they work them into the series. I've most of the TM! soundtrack songs and a lot of the good ones associated with the OVA don't appear actually IN the OVA. Washu's Lullabye is the only one I can think of off hand. Whereas Renai no Jikuu and the scene under the sakura is one of the most emphatic Tenchi scenes there is.

#8: Nagi and Ken Ohki. Words cannot express how cool I think Nagi is as a character ;)

I also really like the fact that TU requires you to infer things about the characters and the story. I'm a geek and I always find that more fun.(For example, why is it Mirei can only be properly seen by Sasami? Why is it that Yagami only restarts in Sargasso after Sasami touches the panel? How does Sasami disappear so easily in the autumn leaves outside the shrine? Could she be Tsunami - only noone ever says so for sure??)

But I don't think a lot of folk think about it that way. Certainly when I've spoken to folk before they've never stopped to think about things like that - so I guess that makes me a true uber-geek in that respect. ;)

The OVA is still probably my second favourite series, OVA 3 excluded. (Noike is the only character in any TM! continuity who I actively despise). And my fanfiction has always been TU based with OVA and other themes thrown in where appropriate, so I'm no traitor to the original series. I just like the way TU is handled better.

I also like Shin Tenchi Muyou however. Largely because you see Ryouko as a pirate and I like Hotsuma - he's very cool. And I love all of the movies.

To begin with it annoyed me that they restarted the plot of the series so many times. But actually now I rather like the alternative universe perspective. It certainly creates a lot of different concepts and it's great fun from a fanfic writing perspective. I've spent the last year working as many themes and characters into one universe as possible and it's been so much fun to do ;) Ryouko is my favourite character on screen but Washu has been when writing fanfic.

Tenchi fans are out there, believe me ;) Tenchi Muyou was the first anime I ever watched, so it holds a very special place in my heart. ;)

::shamelessly plugs the fanfic which is linked to in her sig::

Vraie

Zantetsuken
10-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Universe > All other Tenchis

FelineBoy
10-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I've only seen the first series and the Tenchi in Tokyo series, so I can't say which is the best. However, I don't like the idea of them restarting every series (as was said)...

Gaarademon
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Tenchi Universe...was the best I remember watching it on toonami

Hanzo_DarkIce
11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
dude Tenchi Universe is the best hands down

Variados
11-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I like Ryoko, I liked the alternative of Tenchi being potential couple with Ryoko

Shimotsuki_No_MiNa
11-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I vote for the first OAV, I'm a conservative but still think it was the best.

However, I must notice that the movies Tenchi Muyo in Love and Tenchi Forever( a.k.a in Love2) made a huge impression on me. The first one mainly because I regard it as a wonderful addition to the main series. The story about Achika's and Nobuyuki's love was really well presented, the new characters were deeply developed (Achika was just an ideal of a would-be-mother exactly how Tenchi recalled her to be) and the whole plot with interferences into time was very original and extremely well led.
The second movie was a maturity success. The characters grow as the spectator expects them to. If there was ever to be the final ending to the Tenchi Muyo series, I think this should be the one. Regardless of who we think Tenchi should choose.

toushirou hitsugaya
11-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I like tenchi in tokyo.

Kagome
11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
The OAV is the best in my opinion. The art is better, the story is more entertaining and not a loop like Universe (though don't get me wrong, I *love* Universe too.) There is a stronger connection between the characters-and I like the truth behind it that *EVERYONE* in it is related to Tenchi in some way. Even Ryouko, becuase she's Washu's daughter, Washu is the sister of Tsunami, Tsunami is Sasami, Sasami is an Aunt to Tenchi. Mihoshi as well, because Mihoshi is related to Washu's first born son. I find that awfully amusing.

The one thing I don't really like about the OAV is that Mihoshi's GP partner, Kiyone, is only in one episode-and it's a Mihoshi Special. That made me kind of sad...But oh well. x)

GaarasPuddingLover
11-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I kind of liked Universe the best. I felt it had alot more stories in it and it was always intresting to watch....well all of them were but this one was the best, in my opinion.

mcfly rule
11-18-2007, 06:06 AM
muyo OVA

VraieEsprit
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
The OAV is the best in my opinion. The art is better, the story is more entertaining and not a loop like Universe (though don't get me wrong, I *love* Universe too.) There is a stronger connection between the characters-and I like the truth behind it that *EVERYONE* in it is related to Tenchi in some way. Even Ryouko, becuase she's Washu's daughter, Washu is the sister of Tsunami, Tsunami is Sasami, Sasami is an Aunt to Tenchi. Mihoshi as well, because Mihoshi is related to Washu's first born son. I find that awfully amusing.

The one thing I don't really like about the OAV is that Mihoshi's GP partner, Kiyone, is only in one episode-and it's a Mihoshi Special. That made me kind of sad...But oh well. x)

Kiyone is never in any of the OVA-continuity stuff. She's actively left out by Kajishima-san because she's Hasegawa-san's original creation for the novels (one of which was Manatsu no Eve) and he and Hasegawa-san parted ways after OVA1. It seems that that's why Noike was introduced too. To firmly remove the possibility of Kiyone ever entering the OVA-verse.

The Mihoshi special was actually intended as a taster for the TU series, although in reality it's off in its own universe somewhere. It's never really slotted properly into any of the continuities. It's a lot of fun but definitely standalone.

:)

Vraie

Sawada Ieyasu
01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
It doesn't really matter, as long as it's decent. =3

koikazeflip
01-20-2008, 04:58 AM
My personal favorite would be Tenchi Universe.

NovaStar
02-01-2008, 08:46 AM
It was down to Universe or the Original OAV's I chose Universe for two reasons: Number one, Universe is longer and gives you a more satisfying feel when you finish it, i find you're left with a "What happens next" feeling with the Original OAV

My Least favorite However? is GXP, I find it doesn't even fit in with the Original Tenchi Muyo plotline, is completely different than what's needed for the show, and is overall quite a bad series.

but Yes, Universe for me.

karenhana
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I loved the OVA and Universe. The OVA was the best one I seen in my life. My favorite episode is when Tenchi trying to fight Kagato(sp?). Man, I loved it. Universe was great too.

Robin Hood
02-12-2008, 02:29 AM
I liked Universe the best! The first OVA of Ryo-Ohki was good. But I felt it made too many drastic changes to the plot toward the end. Universe kind of evened it out, and added new faces. 2 Movies were also made from that universe as well. ^^

devilsmaster
02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Of course , Tenchi Universe.I would like to watch it again.

Bulf
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
i was wondering if there were any places that sell the tenchi box set. i've been looking and i still cant find it. please help me if you can.

Dysis
03-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Tenchi Universe and the OVA are the best for me

小美ドクロchan
03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Lol...my love for this series was ressurected! The OVA (1 and 2) are EASILY the best. All the characters were more likable for it. I liked all the history and connections. It has the best artwork. It was well put together and very interesting. I also like Universe a lot...for the music and it was a bit more romantic...as far as the triangle goes. The character art for Mihoshi and Sasami improved, while it kinda dropped for the other characters. Tenchi in Tokyo was absolutely horrible in every single way it could be and I don't see how anyone COULD like it....XD most Tenchi fans despise it from what I know and for could reason. I'd like to pretend it never existed, which is easy to do since the creator said it's not canon at all. What makes me sad is OVA 3 IS canon and the artwork/story for it is....bleh from what I've seen. Really, how difficult is it to duplicate what the original characters looked like!? They made them look so weird! REMAKE PLEASE.:banghead: I'm also REALLY mad at Funimation for shafting Ryoko's awesome English VA JUST because she missed her plane to the recording session. HOW EVIL IS THAT!?:banghead:

*wants to yell at them* Her new voice actress SUCKS. I mean fails completely. *cries*:( Tenchi's new one is also very bad.

Out of the movies, I like Matsu No Eve a.k.a. Daughter of Darkness best, since it's OVA-like. It was based on a novel by Hasegawa.^^ Tenchi in Love...the one with Achika was nice and quite entertaining. Needless to say, I hated Tenchi Forever. It was very hard to think of it as part of the Tenchi series because it was so different.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the manga....the manga is very cute and well-done as it's based on the OVA. I love Hitoshi Okuda's artwork!

Totsean
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
^ ya srsly. Until that episode of GXP were seyna or meets up with the original tenchi cast just blowed. I hated the new voice acting, it literally made me want to puke, i just couldn't watch it to the end.

Tenchi_fan
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
i was wondering if there were any places that sell the tenchi box set. i've been looking and i still cant find it. please help me if you can.

Hmmm... I think ebay.com or amazon.com might have the box set.
Bestbuy might also have it too.:)

Shido
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I would say the original tenchi followed by universe .

i want to watch GPX but every time I go to I feel kinda BLEGH about it . Like If I watch it then Tenchi will be ruined forever XD .

btw I read someone said pretty sammy wasn't dubbed and ya it is. Just need to take the time to watch it .

小美ドクロchan I agree with you completely . The manga is awesome . Just wish Stores near me still carried it soI could finish my collection .

Totsean
05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
^ Sasami mahou shoujo club isn't even subbed yet though.

You should go ahead and watch GXP. It's surprisingly very good, and a worthy sequel to the OVA, despite one episode (the one when they meet with the original tenchi cast) was a disaster due to different voice actors.

Shido
05-04-2008, 03:29 PM
^ Sasami mahou shoujo club isn't even subbed yet though.

You should go ahead and watch GXP. It's surprisingly very good, and a worthy sequel to the OVA, despite one episode (the one when they meet with the original tenchi cast) was a disaster due to different voice actors.

Maybe I'm thinking of another series then >.> . well soon as I finish deathnote I'm going to start watching GPX because you said to . So you have only your self to blame If tenchi is ruined for me :P .

BTW voice actors being changed sucks . it's the main and probably the only reason I stoped watching XD . Brock and ash sound so stupid now .