PDA

View Full Version : Muzzy's adventures in SLR land

MuZ0NaZ
09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
So I've finally decided to give a present for myself (yay me) and get a sparkling new camera. This thread will be a dump of (very random) pics and notes as I learn the inns and outs of the camera.

Anyway, my initial impressions of 400D and kit/50mm 1.8 lens are:
1) kit lens is wiiiiiiide (compared to an ordinary P&S)
2) viewfinder is kinda dim (ok the 50mm lens)
3) ISO 1600 is awesome
4) I'll never get bored of the out-of-focus blur at wide apertures (well maybe next year)
5) The cheap 50mm lens can pick up the cobwebs on the chandelier quite well.

Kaitou Ace
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Nice, and congratulations on getting the XTi. ^_^ it's literally a world apart from using a P&S camera isn't it.

I really like that last image so far, very nice depth of field, and the colors are very nice. And if you ever start getting bored with the narrow DOF, you should see how L lenses do it =p

I have to say that I will now expect an entry from you in our contests ^_^

Key
09-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Yay, finally, some nice photos! XP
Been dying to look at some photos like this. XP

Man, the last photo gives me the creep. I hate cobwebs. >_<
Really awesome your lens can do something cool...I mean, the cobwebs are as clear as I can see. >_<

UrusaiSevera
09-27-2007, 06:37 AM
The last picture is the best of the four. Nice angle and I alway love pictures taken in macro (was it?)

And as for the second, I like it, but I would have liked it more if the whole google sign would have been in focus.

But good pictures alltogether.

Keep up the good work!

MuZ0NaZ
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Well..those pics are simply snapshots. I still feel like a 5-year-old - all giddy inside - when taking pics with the new camera.
However one does not need L lens to get sharp pictures. 50mm prime looks pretty darn sharp to me when stopped down (see attachment, it's not resized).

edit: and I'm still not bored of shooting with the lens wide open.

Key
09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
*Ceee* &#172;_&#172;
Urayamashii na....wish I could capture cool photos with good lenses (not saying that my camera lens is not that good...).

But I'm not good in taking photos with angles+lenses. Plus, I'm not a photographer. I'm only skilled in drawings and making wallpapers. ^^;

Anyway, like the 2nd photo shoot. Love the bg, blur yet making it round...
Reminds me of using tablet to do illustration... XP

Kaitou Ace
09-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I really like the leaves, the colors are very crisp, and the detail is good.

You really do not need an L lens for a lot of things ^_^; some of my best shots were with the cheap sigma 18-125mm lens that has the quality of the kit glass, and the primes are always higher quality then comparable zooms are.

And I wouldn't say that Key ^_^; you're pretty good at photography also.

Myrra
09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Our fall foliage looks crappy here (due to the weather) so you must take more fall shots. I want to see all the pretty colours.

I demand you make it so!

pretty please?

<3

MuZ0NaZ
09-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Went outside today - the weather was nice in the afternoon. I'm getting to love this camera more and more as I use it. Raws give me much more freedom in compressing the dynamic range of the image and Adobe Camera Raw works like magic. While I used to process JPEGs with ACR, they had nowhere near the leeway raws have.
1st shot - I could not have dreamed of taking such a contrasty and detailed cloud shot with a p&s... (kit lens, no filters)
2nd & 3rd shots were quite a bit underexposed, but ACR is awesome.
The last shot is of course me playing around with f1.8 - I really can't get enough of it. That tree shadow messes things up a bit and composition could be better but its still glittery...

Key
09-29-2007, 03:13 PM
OMG!!! Wanna steal your camera... XD

That's freaking good shot for the clouds!! That might work for my next wall for stock images. XD
And nice tree branch shoot! I'm gonna say it again, that's so reminds me using tablet to colour.

Damn, I'm so gonna steal your photos. XD

☆LadyKikyo☆
09-30-2007, 11:43 AM
oh my i love those clowd shots!! i wanted sooo bad to take some the other day but i didnt have my camera. i like the yellow leaves too. ^.^

Ashers
09-30-2007, 12:13 PM
i love the perspective on these, and the angle you took them at <3

MuZ0NaZ
10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Went out to hunt clouds today and as a bonus took this shot, too. I like the composition & out of focus blur (yeah...I am still addicted to shooting at 1.8 f-stop) - though the subject in the foreground is boring as hell xD

I<3ShellShock
10-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Seriously, your camera is like the best thing ever. Your pictures are cool, I wish I was there. I don't like it in the country, nothing to do here.

MuZ0NaZ
10-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Two shots I made today. The weather was worse than it looked like...

Key
10-16-2007, 03:43 AM
I like both. But what caught my eyes are the 1st photo, in black & white.
Has the gloomy atmosphere. And yes, the cloud is the best thing to fit in. Adding the torn up building. It really matches well. Yeah, good angle too. ^^