PDA

View Full Version : Real Life Evangelion Movie!

shane the ninja
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay i was watching random videos on youtbe and came across the guys that made lord of the rings series of movies talking about how they was working on the Neon genesis evangelion movie, so it got me thinking was it real i did some digging they have some sort of trailer for it. This trailer got me think9ing who would you have play the character of Asuka in the live action Movie.

Trustworthy
09-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Truthfully, I have no clue who I would have play even any of the characters, well that is of actors I know, but I do know, if I could choose anyone, who I would choose for Asuka, and that would be my friend Joyce. She looks similar to her, and I swear to *** that she is so much like her. She also is her favorite character, and she also hates Ray, though Ray is my favorite. There is no denying the idea in my head of her playing the part.

Oh, by the way, as far as the movie goes, are you asking for like, the ages in the anime, or would we be modifying it, because it wouldn’t end up being a good movie if we kept the same ages, because no movie maker would make it anything but a kid type movie. We would have to make them at least 3 years older.

overwatch
09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I would expect that a film maker would either go for the teens rating - as per spidyman 2 - or move up to around a 15 even though some content of the anime would get it boosted to and adult (any naked scene). At the end of the day they want to make money with a mech film - so after the success of transformers they will want to get the same audience back again. Sorry to disapoint but I think were looking at a transformers rating.

Trustworthy
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I would expect that a film maker would either go for the teens rating - as per spidyman 2 - or move up to around a 15 even though some content of the anime would get it boosted to and adult (any naked scene). At the end of the day they want to make money with a mech film - so after the success of transformers they will want to get the same audience back again. Sorry to disapoint but I think were looking at a transformers rating.
I agree with you, and also, like i said, in that, the kids are older than they are in any of the transformers cartoons.

overwatch
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The actors might be, but I suspect that the filmers might try and keep them younger - remember the success with harry potter. However I think it depends on thier angle with the film - if it is a recreation of neon genesis then the ages should be about the same; however if they want to use a more adult theme then they might make the ages older to avoid bad publicity.

shane the ninja
09-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I could have sworn i posted about evangelion not transformers so why the hell keep the transformers stuff up?

overwatch
09-19-2007, 03:58 PM
On topic - considering that you say that the film is being produced by the LOTR group and that the film should (in theory) involve younger actors for some lead roles chances are that we will get a bunch of new generatin actors. Now there's nothing wrong in this provided that they select the actors well - i.e. no Harry potter (the main character) class actors.

Yugure's Goddess
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't see this going very well. I think NGE was genius in its entirety and that attempting a live-action film is bound to go bad. I mean it's an anime. It was created as a cartoon because the crap couldn't be conveyed the same way or as easily if they made a live-action series, much less a movie.

One thing that will for sure happen, which will simply anger fans [such as myself] is that in a one and a half to 2 or 3 hour movie, they couldn't possibly hope to fit in all of the story and they're bound to strip away things that people would prefer kept in. Then judging by the work of every movie ever based on any book or comic they're bound to throw in useless unneccessary crap to fill in gaps left by the things they chose to exclude, which will make people angrier.

Although I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out, I'm positive that it'll be a let down. And I don't even want to think about possible actors. Besides, I think they've put out just about enough new crap for NGE. The only thing that should be even considered when regarding NGE is maybe a remake of the series. By that I mean upgrading the animation and improving various aspects that have nothing to do with a new story.

NGE is great. It should be left as it is.

love
dani
dude

Trustworthy
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I think that if they do make a movie, that it should be basically like a series, the first movie goes through the like first few eps, and so on and so forth.

overwatch
09-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Well I think it will be a single film. I say this because - one thread down - there is the development of four new animated movies by the neon genesis productino group. Now consider trying to market two film series at the same time - well its never been done before. Thus I think the live action film will try and condence the whole story into a single film.

shane the ninja
09-20-2007, 06:50 AM
but placing the entire nge story into a single film would be virtusally impposible

Yugure's Goddess
09-20-2007, 07:17 AM
but placing the entire nge story into a single film would be virtusally impposible
Exactly. This is why I'm not too thrilled about it being made into a movie; they're going to leave vital parts of the story out and it's just going to end up being a huge disappointment.

love
dani
dude

_CTA_
09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Actually, they did this project way back at the year 2000. I heard that Daniel Redcliff (how do you spell his last name?) will be one of the ppl auditioned.

Sword
09-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah but he's too old now. He was only thought of as an option because he was young enough at the time.

There are a few changes made for the NGE remake thats coming out so I'd say they'd need to wait another 4-5 years before they start production for the live action films. By that time they'll need to find young, new actors that are like 8/9 years old right now.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I heard about this a bajillion years ago, and I preached then what I preach now: Cautious Optimism, until enough information becomes available to form a better opinion. People (especially Nerds) always say =whatever= will never work as a movie, but sometimes it does anyway- The LoTRs, X-Men and Spiderman’s of the world.

Yugure's Goddess
09-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I heard about this a bajillion years ago, and I preached then what I preach now: Cautious Optimism, until enough information becomes available to form a better opinion. People (especially Nerds) always say =whatever= will never work as a movie, but sometimes it does anyway- The LoTRs, X-Men and Spiderman’s of the world.
First off: Are you calling me a nerd? T_T meanie! nah, j/k, I'll happily take the title cause I am a nerd.

Secondly: I know what you're saying but I don't like being very optimistic because in matters like this I'm bound to be disapointed. Probably because my expectations are too high for anyone to meet or something like that. Besides, this way, if I see it and it's halfway decent I'll actually like it. (Trick of the trade, obviously.) I wasn't saying there was absolutely no hope for it being any good at all; I just don't expect it to live up to my incredible image of NGE. In fact, I hope they prove me wrong.

love
dani
dude

Luka2001
11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I agree with all of you saying that it will be very difficult in making this in all aspects, but i have been wating since i heard it in an Anime Insider along time ago and i will continue to wait till it comes out weighter its 2 months or 20 years.

ShinnAsuka
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
I would like to see an RL Eva movie come out it would be great!

sataned
11-22-2007, 01:05 AM
oh yeah i heard about this along time ago.. i dont remember when but...it was a long time ago... also i remember one of the dudes that is gonna work on the film say that theyre not really going to do anything until CG is more advanced or realistic looking or idk i forgot something along those lines though... so they probably wont start on anything for another ...
manys of years maybe...
well i hope it goes into production within the next 3 years at least....
to make up for that horrible movie called TRANSFORMERS..

Republic
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I can see it now.... All American cast... Cheesy catch phrases.... Absolutley nothing on the psychological devolpment of the characters... All action.

Crucifix-
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I share the belief that there's no possible way that this could turn out properly. I've only seen about 6 episodes of the anime, but I've read the entire manga, which I'll assume is quite similar other than the plot differences, and Toji dying rather than getting crippled, and seen EoE and death/rebirth, and I loved what I saw, so I doubt I'm missing much.

Republic: That's exactly why I don't see this turning out well, it's just going to be fighting, and then I don't think I have it wrong when I say there's going to be a bunch of people who'll see this, and it'll be their first time even hearing of Eva, but then they'll have a completely skewed idea of what the theme of the show is. Like, my theory is that the action is just a plot device to help push along the story, but it's not the actual focus.

also, check out here : http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

It's got all the facts and rumours about said movie

Republic
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I share the belief that there's no possible way that this could turn out properly. I've only seen about 6 episodes of the anime, but I've read the entire manga, which I'll assume is quite similar other than the plot differences, and Toji dying rather than getting crippled, and seen EoE and death/rebirth, and I loved what I saw, so I doubt I'm missing much.

Republic: That's exactly why I don't see this turning out well, it's just going to be fighting, and then I don't think I have it wrong when I say there's going to be a bunch of people who'll see this, and it'll be their first time even hearing of Eva, but then they'll have a completely skewed idea of what the theme of the show is. Like, my theory is that the action is just a plot device to help push along the story, but it's not the actual focus.

also, check out here : http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

It's got all the facts and rumours about said movie

My God! Have you looked at the concept art? All the characters look like 20 year old models. They changed Asuka's name to Rose! Couldn't they just call her Osca? Asuka is just the heavily accented version of the german name Osca. They chose the episodes that have the most action and smallest amount of character devolpment to base the movie off of! The horror!

Crucifix-
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Oh, gods, I didn't really look at the site before, I just sent the link, but, It looks horrible! They don't even have a good reason for picking those particular episodes other than. "an episode that showed us the beauty of japanese power and big guns - something ripe for special effects."

I can't see this turning out well.

And as for the "Ray" and "Kate Rose" thing..

-Taken from TrivialBeing wiki:
"This comes up again and again, and has been adressed partially in the rumors section but I will mention it here also. Concept art with the names "Ray" and "Kate Rose" appeared and there was outroar. In all liklihood these will NOT be the names of the characters in the films, WETA's site describes the concept art with the correct names and Richard Taylor announced in a podcast his dedication to preserving the integrity of and remaining faithful to the original anime. For more details see the rumors page. However it is doubtful that it will be exactly the same... what would be the point in creating a mere replica? Many aspects will be altered simply to present the story in another medium without making it look "out of place" or plain wrong."

Republic
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
"The cast will be international, and mostly of European descent. Meaning, for example, if Daniel Radcliffe (Anime Insider's suggestion - NOT mine!) were to play the lead male role, it would be pretty stupid to call an ENGLISH boy Shinji." Unless of course he was PART Japanese, *ahem*
I hate being right.

"This comes up again and again, and has been adressed partially in the rumors section but I will mention it here also. Concept art with the names "Ray" and "Kate Rose" appeared and there was outroar. In all liklihood these will NOT be the names of the characters in the films, WETA's site describes the concept art with the correct names and Richard Taylor announced in a podcast his dedication to preserving the integrity of and remaining faithful to the original anime. For more details see the rumors page. However it is doubtful that it will be exactly the same... what would be the point in creating a mere replica? Many aspects will be altered simply to present the story in another medium without making it look "out of place" or plain wrong."
Thats good.... I think.

"an episode that showed us the beauty of japanese power and big guns - something ripe for special effects."
Hate being right!

I wish they'd make an additional plotline to make this movie out of because they are just going to bastardize the show we love. They left the OVAs hanging in the air why not base the movie off of that? Probably because it isn't appealing to non EVA fans.

daft
12-09-2007, 08:07 PM
If this goes bad, (which i think it will) there are going to be alot of death threats from diehard fans again, like what happened to Anno.

Im a big fan, but i dont want to kill anyone.

Sid Vicious
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't think it'll be too great tbh. I'm sure that if it is ever released they'll over look many important aspects of Neon Genesis in the attempt to "cram" as much action as they can, be it the full series or a segment of the series into a single film. To be more direct NGE is more about the themes in the story, like Shinji's mental/emotional sickness or disorder and how that affects him from fitting into society etc. I could see them making a massive cock up of that and transforming him into some kind of Angel killing brash American kid running around in Eva's with 2 hot chicks in a massive mess.

I'm preparing to be disappointed. There's so many things which will go wrong and so little that will fit into place.

Oh and finally the other thing I won't be able to stand is seeing 14 or 15 year olds on the street saying "Neon Genesis is cool" when actually they won't know the first thing about the series, how it was intended to be interpreted or any of the above. They'll just start liking the movies and lumping it with Transformers and any other live action movie. Call me cynical but it's going to be ****. :(

tmen
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I expect this movie to be somehow sexy...

Like in the anime...

El-ahrairah
01-10-2008, 11:23 PM
I was rather excited until I realized one thing; having asian actors for most roles isn't going to appeal to most people they will be targeting, and having japanese names for european actors will be...lame to say the least. So in in other words good bye Shinji, Misato, Gendo and so on and so on. They could possibly keep names like Rey and Asuka (pushing it), but that will be just, well, fu*ked up. My opinion on it now is that its going to rape everything we love about Evangelion.

blackrosetwilight
01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
.......to be honest any anime or manga going live action always some how dissapoint me really, so Im really hoping it will be good but i wont be surprised if it sucked and if it is good it might only appeal to hard core fans more than your casual movie watcher so you cant really complain if it gets bad rating from those movie critics who dont now jack about Evangelion just like how they bad mouth the Ghost in Shell movie saying its too japanese and would've of been better if dubbed in english. Personally i dont see why dub or sub should effect a movies rating sorry Im going off topic now LOL.

Ikaruga
01-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey everyone, the actual company that did the Lord of the Rings CGI was Weta workshops, which has also done prototype sketches of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Live Action movie, mainly for ADV to make use of.

But it seems to me that they might not be going ahead on this, but you have to think about it. Ever since Transformers has come out, this has set an example to those Hollywood studios that live action films can be done, (not very well mind) and that they might be thinking about other titles.

Other titles have been said were Robotech Macross and Voltron, and re-continuing with the work, Halo.

The Evangelion Live Action movie might get a go ahead, but as so many people here have pointed out, it's impossible to cram all the plot into a single movie. Apparently there were plans for Daniel Radcliffe playing the part of Shinji (shock! horror!).

Here's the Wiki article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_(live-action_movie)

And the Weta Workshop prototypes:
http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/film/neon_genesis

Well, prepare to be dissapointed either way...

mmeg
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
whatever happens, I would be so keen to see what it'd turn out like...and shame on them if they don't make it work....it has the potential to be either real awesome or rubbish I think

Terenin
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
A small part of me would like to see how a live-action movie turns out.

However, the other, bigger, SMARTER part knows it will most likely be utter crap, and an ugly joke that messes up everything that NGE is.

The worst insult to injury will be all the ones that, most likely due to over-used action sequences, will love it. It will be horrible, simply, because unless they make atl 6 videos it will be crap.

(26 30 min episodes will be ca. 12 1 hour videos, (Not counting EoE) if they make the individual videos ca. 3-4 hours long they MIGHT have a chance at capturing the story and plot.)

A single movie, even if it's 5 hours long, can't possibly hope to capture even the most essential parts of the story.

Not to mention the likelyhood of crappy cast, poor acting (in comparison to the personality and feel of the original characters) and gruesomely molested character-persona. (No western actor can possibly manage to portray Shinji's bucket-load of issues with his dad, his life, his insecurities, fear of the Eva's and so on, in any kind of way that honours the show. By not talking of Rei and Asuka... heck, they will prob. not even have their names correct, for reasons others have stated.)

I really hope they don't ever make a live-action movie. They might as well stop right now, because it will be a gigantic failure.

On a side-note, they will prob. end up managing to twist it so much that it won't flop totaly, sadly. Then the producers can have their money, it's all they care about anyways, and the reason they do make it.

I mean, would any sane NGE fan really ask for a live-action movie? One would need at least 6 4-5 hour long films for the story. Japanese actors and settings. Real in-debht portrayal of the characters. A heavy focus on the story and iconography instead of just the action. One would need to keep the nude-scenes, there are not many, but they will be needed.

In all the demands above, a live-action movie would most likely fail. If they could manage to get all of the above right though, it might actually be worth seeing. But, given the fact we have the anime/manga allready, it would be totaly needless as well...

CroSsplay!
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
If this goes bad, (which i think it will) there are going to be alot of death threats from diehard fans again, like what happened to Anno.

Im a big fan, but i dont want to kill anyone.

i would be the first :)
*reaches for letter bomb making kit, wich hasn't been used since the Transformers movie came out*

Animousflavista
03-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Just imagine the movie is as good as the transformers :) , the world will love evangelion even more... otherwise... errr :/

blackrosetwilight
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
This whole live action evangelion movie thing, reminds me of that live action gundam G-Savior that everyone was raving about back in the day and guess what it sucked so badly that the original creator of gundam totally dissed it from the gundam universe. I can so see it coming for evangelion. Ok fanboys and fangirls get those threat letter ready.

demonplight
03-09-2008, 04:00 AM
I hate to say it but your late its in production, and planning has been around for years.
where do you think I got the art for my sig?
its Rei.

Datenshi
03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
In response to some of the posts above, this is from a random internet article.

Neon Genesis Evangelion concept art from Weta  .... You'll notice that some of the images have the names of the Japanime characters changed - e.g. Rei Ayanami = Ray, Asuka Langley = Kate Rose and Misato Katsuragi = Susan Whitnall.

I don't know, fans of the original aren't going to be pleased with that (but they never are). I'm not, at least.

But if they actually do manage to pull this off and get the Eva's up and running in realistic environments that would be pretty. Damn. Awesome.

IceBubleFlava
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Aww man , personally I think it'll suck. It's Evangelion, it'd probably be rated M if they put the real stuff in. The actors IDK, I hope it's not the Harry Potter Dude.
It's better in Anime form though, then since it's gonna be placed in american form it'll be lame, or I would say wack. But if it does make it to the big screen, maybe I'll give it a chance and watch it. I'm soo fricken stubborn I'd probably won't like it, even if it is good, and I like it deep inside my heart. That's how stubborn I am, if I do like it I'll probably won't tell anyone.

ghost_in_the_shell
03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I could have sworn i posted about evangelion not transformers so why the hell keep the transformers stuff up?

Because no one makes a movie for the sake of making a movie. They make a movie to make money - and sadly that means our Eva Live Action is going to be dumbed down and censored to a sad state so it can make the most money. People are going to compare the target audience to Transformers because it didn't contain graphic violence and blood and did so well.

I'd love to see an accurate portrayal. However we will not.

I hope I didn't rain on anyones parade - and maybe by some fluke I will be proven wrong.

I hope so. But I doubt it.

ZeianStar
03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Its not a good idea but then again it might be. Transformers The Movie was awesome and the pack all the robot action into it.

ghost_in_the_shell
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Its not a good idea but then again it might be. Transformers The Movie was awesome and the pack all the robot action into it.

but Tranformers didn't have mentally disturbed children fighting and dying in a blood bath.

Eva is more than the robot action - which is what makes it epic.
A GUNDAM movie could be successful on its robot carnage alone - but eva is deeper than that.

we shall see.

Manhattan_Project_2000
03-11-2008, 09:46 AM
but Tranformers didn't have mentally disturbed children fighting and dying in a blood bath.

Eva is more than the robot action - which is what makes it epic.
A GUNDAM movie could be successful on its robot carnage alone - but eva is deeper than that.

we shall see.
Actually, early Gundam's were pretty psychological.

CroSsplay!
03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Actually, early Gundam's were pretty psychological.

i agree the Early gundam movies and manga where psychologicaly entertaning as well as the mecha carnage. so compared to the eva, gundam was up to story line standereds.

Wilson
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh and finally the other thing I won't be able to stand is seeing 14 or 15 year olds on the street saying "Neon Genesis is cool" when actually they won't know the first thing about the series, how it was intended to be interpreted or any of the above. They'll just start liking the movies and lumping it with Transformers and any other live action movie. Call me cynical but it's going to be ****. :(

I totally agree.

Just imagine the movie is as good as the transformers :) , the world will love evangelion even more... otherwise... errr :/

But the world doesn't "love" Transformers, or Spiderman, or any other live action remake. They love CG, hormone-laden teens, and a heavy metal soundtrack. Most of the people who told me I had to watch the Transformers movie were recommending it because of the female lead.

I hate to say it but your late its in production, and planning has been around for years.
where do you think I got the art for my sig?
its Rei.

My. GOD. NO!!!! She's smiling. That in itself should explain what kind of movie remake this is gonna be.

I think not only will this movie suck like almost every other movie remake I have EVER seen, it will fail even more. It's probably one of the anime LEAST likely to convert well to live action! I'd say the ONLY simiarity to the original NGE will be big robots.

Animousflavista
03-14-2008, 07:18 PM
O I see... but at least at my place all people love the live action transformer, including me too~

but I do not like the Spiderman live action nor its animation...

Merodi
03-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I would NOT like the idea of having that movie IRL than anime... o.o;;

3pleT
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
the truth is, many people are close-minded idiots who don't even try to watch anime just because they're animated, so if they make a decent live action movie, the series will gain popularity. the truth is, 99% of live action movies end up being badly acted, badly directed and have even worse scripts than those stupid video game adaptations. the truth is also that almost every live action movie so far was made without having the director of the original anime supervising and it was made in japan (i think we all know how bad japanese actors and film directors are nowadays), but this one will be different. frankly, i don't know what to expect.

blackrosetwilight
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
the truth is, many people are close-minded idiots who don't even try to watch anime just because they're animated, so if they make a decent live action movie, the series will gain popularity. the truth is, 99% of live action movies end up being badly acted, badly directed and have even worse scripts than those stupid video game adaptations. the truth is also that almost every live action movie so far was made without having the director of the original anime supervising and it was made in japan (i think we all know how bad japanese actors and film directors are nowadays), but this one will be different. frankly, i don't know what to expect.
agreed

omniking3
04-30-2008, 08:57 PM
In response to some of the posts above, this is from a random internet article.

I don't know, fans of the original aren't going to be pleased with that (but they never are). I'm not, at least.

But if they actually do manage to pull this off and get the Eva's up and running in realistic environments that would be pretty. Damn. Awesome.

OMForkingG! Susan WHOTHEFORK? KATE ROSE!!!! WTfork IS GOING ON HERE! That is ridiculous. Besides, Ray is a MAN'S NAME! My grandfather is named Ray! And seriously, I'm going to watch this, put it on a DVD, shi(r)t on it, then send it right back to the producer when it comes out. This guy must have a death wish. Besides, for an anime so deeply complex like NGE, this movie will NEVER CAPTURE THE ESSENCE OF THE SHOW! There is a REASON why its ranking is so high on these lists:

NUMBER ONE BEST ANIME:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-10-04/top-10-anime-and-manga-at-japan-media-arts-festival

NUMBER 3 Top 10 Most Popular:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php

Number 20 here (out of 100, so the same as 2 out of 10):
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-09-23/tv-asahi-top-100-anime

note that although they are from the same site, the CONTENT in them is fro different sources.

I have a feeling this will be horrible, and when it is, i will spend extra for special hate mail stationary and stamps, plus japanese badluck/curse/charms. This was my FIRST, and FAVORITE ANIME OF ALL TIME! I WILL NOT SEE IT DEFAMED!

btw: ShinjiXRei forever!

DANtheDINOSAUR
05-18-2008, 02:06 PM
If a live action goes through and hits theaters, I can see myself going, but like in Indiana Jone's: Raiders of The Lost Ark, if I feel like I will die, I just won't look.

For this to be pulled off well, they wouldn't cast popular actors just to put names on posters. And they would have to be very well invested because they can't fit a whole story that fits together in an hour and a half so it will have to be a longer movie or series. I have a feeling that it could go well if they saved money by keeping the CG and action down and really give the film NGE's psychological horror that we all know and love, which would give it a suitable R rating. But that's where they are stuck:

Make an awesome robot fighting movie that cashes in on the mass of young money spending generation
or
Make a film that has the action, but really blows you away with the mentality of matters and appeal to the more mature market, who when they see a movie don't usually go out and buy t shirts and memorabilia.

Now this is something I've picked up a while ago when first hearing of this, but I read somewhere Robin Williams took interest in the role of Gendo and honestly, give him the glasses, some stubble and lower the tone of his voice and I could see it.

I have the feeling in my gut that if they grab NGE by the insides and turn it inside out to make big bucks for blowing **** up, then Hollywood has lost all respect for its own industry as well as movie goers.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Now this is something I've picked up a while ago when first hearing of this, but I read somewhere Robin Williams took interest in the role of Gendo and honestly, give him the glasses, some stubble and lower the tone of his voice and I could see it.

Actually, that would be extremely awesome. Robin Williams is a horrible comic, but he's great at playing creepy, completely focused, yet somehow fragile people.

Anyone doubting this should watch One Hour Photo* or Insomnia.

*Some Super Eva Nerds might be happy to know that an Evangelion action-figure is prominently featured in this movie. Apparently, the director has a love for NGE.

DANtheDINOSAUR
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
*Some Super Eva Nerds might be happy to know that an Evangelion action-figure is prominently featured in this movie. Apparently, the director has a love for NGE.

That same action-figure is in Micheal Clayton in his son's room. Haven't seen the movie though.

blackrosetwilight
05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Actually, that would be extremely awesome. Robin Williams is a horrible comic, but he's great at playing creepy, completely focused, yet somehow fragile people.

Anyone doubting this should watch One Hour Photo* or Insomnia.

Robin William huh? well doesnt sound so bad now, I love his movies

Sickness
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes RW will do great job, I bet. I hope they pick such actors that know to bring the plot out.
I have huge feeling that movie will suck because they want to Westernize it, and yes I'm against it. It should remain the same as original, the more they change it the worse.

Lando
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
If an Evangelion movie ever comes out, I just hope they pick a relay good actress for Rei and Asuka ... I'm not on the mood for a happy Rei an a joyful Asuka ....

Ultrigo
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Okay i was watching random videos on youtbe and came across the guys that made lord of the rings series of movies talking about how they was working on the Neon genesis evangelion movie, so it got me thinking was it real i did some digging they have some sort of trailer for it. This trailer got me think9ing who would you have play the character of Asuka in the live action Movie.

Are they going to make a live action Evangelion movie? Well, they were. It keeps being put on hold for other projects like the Chronicles of Narnia. They still need to get the funds to do the job and I think they also have yet to find a director. In the mean time, here's some conceptual art that Weta Workshop made:
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fc5cbf1c9.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33954) http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fc5ca4416.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33953) http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fc5c7fa29.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33952) http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fcadc1c6e.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33955) http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fcade3f53.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33956) http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_1665764884fcae0f8e2.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33957)

wolfgirl90
07-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Okay, I know some live-action movies based on comics have gone a little sour (and believe me, this is an understatement) but I personally do not expect the live-action Evangelion movie (or movies) to do as bad as the rest of you say. One advantage that this movie has is that Gainax (you know, the people who CREATED Evangelion in the first place:rolleyes:?!) and ADV Films (who releases Evangelion to all outside Japan) are making the movie. Its not like the movie is going to be made by people who have not seen the series and who do not understand the fan base behind it. In fact, the movie is going to be made by the people who created the series and helped bring the series to us:rolleyes:!!

Believe me, neither Gainax nor ADV wants to see this series get the same treatment that other comic-based live-action movies have gone through. As such, the names of the characters are not likely to change. The rumor alone caused outroar. I don't think Gainax and ADV would change the names after that unless there was gun held to their head!

Also, the entire series of Evangelion is not going to be put into one movie. This movie is only going to cover the first few episodes of Evangelion (from concept art, we can expect Ramiel, the fifth Angel, to be in the movie). Gainax actually wants sequels (since Weta Digital is involved in the movie, I would not be surprised if there are three or more Evangelion movies:p). However, at the same time, they want the movies to able to stand by themselves. They want you to say, "That was a good movie!" and then "Oh, there's more!" rather than "Oh great, now I have to wait six months to see what happens (and I quoted all this from Anime Insider).

And the whole "Daniel Radcliffe as Shinji" thing? That whole rumor was caused by Anime Insider because of a casting call they did....over 4 years ago (I am not surprised that Tiffany Grant would remember this; she would definitely want to see who would play her character!). I even have the issue that had the casting call in it:p!! Here are a few of the characters they casted (they did all of the main ones) and the reasons they gave for casting them:
Shiji Ikari: Daniel Radcliffe, because, at the time, he and Shinji were the same age and because of the treatment Harry Potter faces in the movies from his own family.
Asuka Langley Soryu: Hillary Duff, because of her "large and in charge" attitude that matches Asuka and the energy to back it up.
Rei Ayanami: Chiaki Kuriyama, because of her role of Go-Go Yubari (in Kill Bill) who was also emotionally deprived.
Kaworu Nagisa: Haley Joel Osment, because of his androgynous features and mannerisms.
Misato Katsuragi: Natalie Imbrugalia, because of her "wild streak" and her experience playing serious roles.
Ryoji Kaji: Colin Farrell, because of his good looks and attraction to the opposite sex.
Ritsuko Akagi: Gwyneth Paltrow, because of her looks, her versatility, and her ability (and experience) playing cool intellectual characters.
Gendo Ikari: Hugo Weaving, because of his demanding voice, his unnerving stare, and his experience playing a character who demands obedience (I honestly think that this was their best choice in casting among all of the characters:p!).

Casting has not been done yet (some celebrities have expressed interest in the movie but no one has been selected yet) . In fact, the Evangelion movie, as of July 2008, is considered to be in "development hell" (meaning that it has not moved past pre-production for many years and is still not making progress). Since 2003, when the movie was announced, they have only made concept art for the movie and have thought about possible producers and directors....that's it. They have only raised about half of the money that they need for the movie (they need between $100 and $120 million!!). The trailers you have seen on YouTube are fake and were made by a fan;). They were very good but still fake.

Ultrigo
08-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah. I suppose I would have to agree. He certainly demonstrated his powerful acting in Good Will Hunting. It even won him an Oscar.