PDA

View Full Version : Got to play with my macro lens today

Kaitou Ace
09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Figure that I am stuck in Florida anyway, so I may as well get some use out of my macro lens (Canon Macro 100mm f 2.8)

Mainly went after some insects as there aren't many photogenic ones around in NYC at this time of year.

Myrra
09-07-2007, 10:45 PM
OMG! How cool are you??
With that sort of camera and lens, I'd have a lot better pics of my 1mm butterfly eggs and the 2-5 mm caterpillars of which I have yet to get a really good picture. I loved the first pic of the bee. You must also be quick with the eye to catch a quick little buggy as that.
I <3 you even more than I did before.

wizz-o-matic
09-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Myrra, believe me, you don't want to know ;)

Anyway, nice photos, I'd just go with a different angle on the first one .... I'd angled the camera more to the left. Last one needs a bit of light, and noise reduction.

MistressPookyChan
09-08-2007, 04:05 AM
are you sure you arent one of my coworkers? he is obsessed with his new lens.

I love the snail one, but I would have liked to see a bit more shadow. Don't know what. but I'm a fan of well placed shadows.

Bucky Katt
09-08-2007, 04:09 AM
For some reason, I'm obsessed with the blue bug picture. I guess that you just caught it so well against the yellow-green background? I'm not so sure...But the little dew drops? in the background are a tiny bit distracting.

Other than that you've got one hell of a lens! =D

zyronet
09-08-2007, 04:19 AM
What is that blue bug called?
The snail looks like its a part of the background.
Anyways.. Nice! Nice!

.Lovebeat
09-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Woooow awesome photos! Though I hate insects but anyway... I think the insects are really eye-catching. xD

☆LadyKikyou☆
09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
wow those are awsome pics ace, im not so inclined to take somthing like that but im working on it..

UrusaiSevera
09-09-2007, 09:52 AM
The one with the tiny blue fly is awesome, because it's such a small part of the picture but it immediately draws you attention.

The others are looking really good as well

Sobriquet
09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Amazing photos you have there. Haha, I really like the blue bug one. Job well done. =D

Kaitou Ace
09-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Ah thanks for the feedback everyone ^_^;
I mainly staked out one particular row of bushes and was waiting for the bugs to come to me. The bee and snail were auto-focus, the other two bugs were manually focused and then I moved the camera around for a good shot, and followed the spray-and-pray method of photography.

Wizzy is right about the framing on the bee, but I am afraid both the wind and the insect weren't the most cooperative subjects ^_^; and the bright spots in the bokkeh of the blue fly image are flash reflections in water drops - I need to remove those in photoshop.
These pics are basically straight out of the camera, just resized via picasa, and there's a decent amount of pp that I'd like to do to them when I get a chance.
All these images have EXIF data, so if you have a browser plugin that shows it to you, you'll be able to see the camera settings I used for each shot.