PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about The media blaming!

shane the ninja
09-02-2007, 04:42 PM
What do you feel about the medi e.g newspapers television Blaming games for violence from kids, like when a kid steals a car the papers would blame it on games like gta, mainly here in england but what do you feel about it?

PanzerJager
09-02-2007, 09:27 PM
its so stupid.. i play video games, but do i get the desire to go out and kill random people... well.. at least I don't do it, but thats not my point.

Anyway, its like blaming car accidents on the auto industry..

Zantetsuken
09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
People do crap like that because they choose to not because they play a game. Unless they're psycho.

Masali
09-03-2007, 01:36 AM
If a video game can influence a person to go and be destructive, than they had issues to begin with. Blame the subject's mental instability, not video games. Before video games were "all the rage" They blamed Television, before that, Music. It's the scapegoat of our generation, until something bigger comes along.

shane the ninja
09-03-2007, 04:30 PM
I have played games for nearlly 12 years now and i have never once commited any crimes myself, nor have i ever had the urge to kill anyone, dispite being somewhat psychiotic, at times gaming is a release for my anger, when i get angryu i swtich on a good rpg or shooting game and blow pixels up and stuff so i do not have to kill a real person or commit a crime, we could all use the exscuse we did not go to school cause the radio told us not to maybe it would work i doubt it though lol.

Lance McSteel
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
The current existing media blames the 'new' media for cultural corruption and violence. In 30 years when VR comes online people will be criticizing it and holding up 'traditional' media forms like TV, the internet, videogames and radio as better things than newfangled VR.

Hardcore Gamer
09-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with Shane. One good reason about playing games is the ability to release that anger on some helpless pixels in the virtual world called "VIDEO GAMES." Many times recently, when I have gotten angry, I will play the Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and just run around and smash stuff until the mechs come and then knock the life out of them and repeat until I feel better. It may not be too healthy, but at least I am not committing an actual crime in the "REAL WORLD."

overwatch
09-12-2007, 02:36 PM
The current existing media blames the 'new' media for cultural corruption and violence. In 30 years when VR comes online people will be criticizing it and holding up 'traditional' media forms like TV, the internet, videogames and radio as better things than newfangled VR.

I think true VR will be a milestone - by true I mean as life like as possible. I think it will also chance society as much as online gaming has - probably even more. Just think today there are companies which make money just selling digitial cloths - think what could happen when your in a totally digital world - - the next step though would be total sensory imersion in a digital world- - - -will stop rambling now:banghead:

ParaParaJMo
09-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I remember Jack Thompson was already doing a campaign against the Bully game long before it came out. I remember people blaming the Matrix for Columbine when Columbine happened a month before Matrix came out to the movies.

Yeah, blaming all gamers for crimes is as dumb as blaming a whole race or religion on another certain crime.

TheAsterisk!
09-23-2007, 09:03 PM
:mad:It's an absurd political ploy. I always have to chuckle though; I can't remember there ever being a campaign to restrict chldrens' access to Tom & Jerry or Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. They're certainly violent enough, and it would be easier to hit someone with a frying pan than to employ the exotic methods of assault usually portrayed in video games.

overwatch
09-24-2007, 03:37 AM
They have had campains against the mentioned cartoons - one which has succeded is that they have banded the showing of cartoon characters smoking in new shows and limit the screening of them smoking in older episodes - apparently it will make kids want to smoke - considering the number of times tom got blown up by a cigar I can't see why!

edit - made myself sound less illiterate than I am - - - -did I just spell sonething wrong:D

TheAsterisk!
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
They have had campains against the mentioned cartoons - one which has succeded is that they have banded the showing of cartoon characters smoking in new shows and limit the screening of them smoking in older episodes - apparently it will make kids want to smoke - considering the number of times tom got blown up by a cigar I can't see why!
They should ban any and all news programming, too, if their concerns are valid.

Sayoran
09-27-2007, 12:56 PM
you gotta be pretty screwed up beforehand if a game sparks u to do something voilent, and if people wanna blame computer games because they provide that 'spark' someone needs they better start blaming TV, film, books or maybe that guy in the street who knocked into the psycho...

Khanxay
09-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I blame the media. A kid can also get ideas of stealing a car from hearing about it on the news you know.

overwatch
09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I think a large part of it is that the society that we live in today does not attribute responcibility to the indevidual for their actions. They always have to find someone else to blame - just think of all the cases of people sueing over the years - If they can prove that it is not thier fault then they are not only inocent of crimes, but the other party often has to take the blame.

However I think that as games get more and more realistic there will be greater grounds for this.

Ertai87
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
By this logic, Kirby is the cause of obesity and we should all jump on every turtle we see. Lol I would actually laugh my face off if I saw a guy actually jump on a turtle. Please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, will someone PLEASE PLEASE do that? Actually don't, it's cruel to the turtle...

Stryyder
09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Read on if you dare, lol. I'm not gonna say I disagree with the current lot of posters, but I won't say I agree either.

I will honestly state that I agree that any game rated "Mature" should not be sold to anyone under 18. Should a parent get the game for their child, there's no real way to stop it, but I think that is a bad parental decision.

I'm not going to say "games cause violence" but I will attest that there is SOME truth to these political shennanigans (that's right, I said shennanigans). Medically and psycholigically, children develop mentally all the way up to age 25. While in the years from late teens to 25 the development is very minute children are still maturing below that age. I personally wouldn't want my 11-17 year old child spending his time punching cops, stealing cars and shooting people in a video game. Yes, it is a growing process, but there is really no way to know how those games would affect them. How many news article were there 2 days after each "Jackass" movie came out that depicted people anywhere from 9-50 hurting or even killing themselves repeating the stunts of Johnny Knoxville's crew of delinquents? Nobody realizes it but media DOES affect people. Does that mean I won't let my kids play video games? Not at all. I think they increase hand-eye coordination, puzzle solving skills and more. But I'd prefer they play something like Mario, Sly Cooper, Zelda or something. It's a fantasy, and easily distinguished as a fantasy. Yes they have violence in them, but your goal is the solve the puzzle. To overcome evil. Not to run around shooting people because you stole a car and they want to kill you.

Rockstar games is feeding off the fact that people want to do the "taboo". They want to get just a taste of what it's like to do something illegal, without really doing it. But what happens if 1 out of those 100 people that played gets the taste and likes it? It can't be helped if it is an actual adult, and they should be held accountable for their actions, not the game. But for it to happen to a child is negligence on the parents part.

overwatch
09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
True points stryyder - but I think the other problem with games is that most hobbies which have a large age range have different media protryaing them (e.g. a more adult magazine and a more childish one). Gaming does not have this division -thus kids see cool 18 rated games get high ratings and sound really fun and compare these to lesser rated games for their own generation and then decide that they must play the 18 rated game. Parents also fuel this with the belief "its a game, therefore it must be for a child, there can't be anything wrong in it, the ratings people must just be being mean"

Stryyder
09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
<p>True enough. another reason I feel that the majority of parents these days don't take enough of a pro-active role in their child's upbringing.</p>

Eskar
10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Oh, yeh. Chikatilo played hentai games, of course. Or GTA. It's silly...
If you want, you'll kill. Pokemon-hentai-GTA... That doesn't matter. You can look at your kitten and think "Oh, I'll kill my friend now". Kitten is the reason. Yeeeeeah, killer-kitten! Kitten is not a toy for children - mass media will say.
Kitten is not a toy, of course, but you understood me. I know.

Vespa
10-08-2007, 08:24 AM
People play the games, and then it is the players own choice to go out and do whatever illegal things they do it is not the games fault. However I guess they could be influenced but people have the self control to know that it is wrong and that they should not go and do it.

Stryyder
10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Only problem is, not everyone DOES have the self control to decide not to do wrong.

Here's my simple opinion on this.

1) Anyone under 18 should not be able to buy a game rated M. A parent buying it for their minor bears responsibility for it, not the game.
2) Since it doesn't really matter to them, those over 18 who are griping about this really have no reason to.

No offense, just my opinion.