PDA

View Full Version : BioShock

PanzerJager
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
BioShock is Irrational's finest offering to date, as well as the swan song for the Irrational brand in a way, since they recently relinquished their longstanding and well-established studio name for the more corporate, faceless tag of 2K Boston and 2K Australia. BioShock is a first-person shooter set in the fantastically unsettling city of Rapture, a metropolis built under the sea by the megalomaniacal Andrew Ryan. Throughout your lengthy stay, you'll find options for combat as intricate and enjoyable as the story and characters are to interpretation, something that only a handful of games can ever claim to offer.

But to call this game simply a first-person shooter, a game that successfully fuses gameplay and narrative, is really doing it a disservice. This game is a beacon. It's one of those monumental experiences you'll never forget, and the benchmark against which games for years to come will, and indeed must, be measured. This isn't merely an evolution of System Shock 2, but a wake-up call to the industry at large. Play this, and you'll see why you should demand something more from publishers and developers, more than all those derivative sequels forced down our throats year after year with only minor tweaks in their formulas. It's a shining example of how it's possible to bring together all elements of game design and succeed to the wildest degree.

sniff* :')
such sweet words. Im buying it tomorrow.

anyway.. http://pc.ign.com/articles/813/813641p1.html

bakakame
08-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I finally put this game down to take a break and probably get some sleep. It's generally not often I get my hands on a game that I don't beat in 1 sitting...

I like to think that I'm currently about half-way through the game, but alas I have no idea.

PanzerJager
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
there is supposed to be around 20 hrs of gameplay "if you don't rush it", but i guess it also depends on your skill..;)

Rem
08-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I was going to buy this today, but then my 360s drive died, HURRA!

Regex
08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm waiting for someone to tell me what makes this game so awesome. So far, all anyone will tell me is that it's great.

bakakame
08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not really rushing it, and so far I've clocked about 8 hours. I'll beat it after work today.

Why is it great? You know, the deeper I look into it the less "amazing" it seems. Graphics are terrific but I think everyone knew that already. Gameplay is decent, the use of plasmids and hacking mix up the gameplay a little bit. And the story so far is engaging, with horror elements like F.E.A.R. only a bit more interesting.

All in all I'd classify it as just a really good FPS. Some things are opened up and deeper, but the heart of the game is pretty much just like Half-Life.

Regex
08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
So is it safe to say that someone who didn't like Half Life or Halo probably wouldn't like Bioshock either?

PanzerJager
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
you never know...

plus, this damned thing is still installing. its been almost 45 mins. but im watching anime to pass the time.

Khanxay
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm going to get it on...Monday next week. It'll give me something to play instead of Gears, Viva Pinata, and The Darkness.

PanzerJager
08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm going to get it on...Monday next week. It'll give me something to play instead of Gears, Viva Pinata, and The Darkness.

Just make sure you have internet and IE otherwise it wont work (i think).. I still havent gotten mine to install.

Khanxay
08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
For the 360 version?

Eris
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
So is it safe to say that someone who didn't like Half Life or Halo probably wouldn't like Bioshock either?

Does Halo even have a plot? I haven't played it, but I got the impression that it was about as story driven as Unreal Tournament.

BioShock isn't strictly a shooter, in the classical sense, like Deus Ex wasn't a shooter in the classical sense. It is somewhat reminiscent of Half Life, but not quite. It's hard to describe, Half Life has sort-of-a-plot, but it's not really what propels the game forward, it's more a series of puzzles wrapped in a story. BioShock is immersive, you enter a whole game world with an elaborate plot and history.

Light Buster
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
But my question is, can the game live up to the hype when X-Play reviews it?

bakakame
08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Does Halo even have a plot? I haven't played it, but I got the impression that it was about as story driven as Unreal Tournament.

It's not necisarily a "story-driven" game, but it does have a story, and fairly good one at that IMO, though the "play" is normal FPS.

But my question is, can the game live up to the hype when X-Play reviews it?

From what I've read, the X-Play staff thinks it IS that good.

I'd disagree with them, I think it falls short of the hype. Though the hype was enourmous, this is still a good game, just not the embodiment of the videogame god that people are making it out to be.

And Panzer is talking about the PC version. All you're gonna need is to open the 360's disc tray and drop in the game;)

Kaitou Ace
08-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Well I got the game, but I haven't actually played it yet. It looks good though from what I've seen of my friends playing it. I just have to finish Tenchu Z before I start another game O_o;

International 4-8818
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I got it on the 21st and it is a great game. The visuals are very awesome. Everything is the game is usable. God I don't even know where to start. The use of plasmids in the game were so ingenious. rapture is amazing. I give it a 10/10.
I have so far played about like 4 hours.

PanzerJager
08-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Post removed due to language

Eris
08-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Just wanted to say that if you intend to play this game, you shouldn't go looking about on forums and read plot spoilers. In fact, the less you know about the plot the better the game will be.

For the best experience, avoid walkthroughs, forums, anything that might reveal the plot.

Chris-san
08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Eh, I beat it earlier this morning...I didn't like it that much. No reason why or why not, though when I play a first-person game, if I'm running out of ammo I want to be able to pick up enough to fill up later rather than having to buy it, and then not having enough money to buy health packs and such. Well I guess there's a reason, it's too much of a hassle.

Eris
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Eh, I beat it earlier this morning...I didn't like it that much. No reason why or why not, though when I play a first-person game, if I'm running out of ammo I want to be able to pick up enough to fill up later rather than having to buy it, and then not having enough money to buy health packs and such. Well I guess there's a reason, it's too much of a hassle.

I think the reason is to persuade you to be creative with plasmids rather than bursting into a room guns blazing like in regular shooters; instead you're supposed to for an example throw enrage at the big daddy and watch the carnage from across the room... or set fire to them so they run into the water, and zap the water.

Just finished it myself, and now my eyes are sore from playing it 7 hours straight.

bakakame
08-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Yea, looks like there are multiple ending based on how you play. I got the happy ending:laugh:

620 achievement points for 1 playthrough, second only to Prey. (from my list of games anyway)

Sagat
08-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I really want this game .. but srtest.com tells me my computer only rates halfway between the minimum and recommended bar.. and it fails in the recommended category.

I want a new graphics card before I play this .. I hate playing games if I can't play them the way they were meant to.

PanzerJager
08-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh.. btw people, if your going to buy this game make sure you have a functioning internet Explorer otherwise the game wont install... Because of this I HAVNT BEEN ****ING ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME, WHICH I HAVE HAD FOR 4 DAYS NOW!!!! AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! :banghead:

International 4-8818
08-25-2007, 11:36 PM
God, well someone said it would be twenty hours of gameplay, but that was like 5 hours. God and it was such an abrupt ending to. The ending didn't really anwser anything. They really needed to make more levels to progress to the very end. And they should have made it that Joe escapes rapture like go up through all of the bathosphere's and fight of a whle bunch of splicers.

Now, people who have played and beaten it, tennenbaum is an advocate for Joe to rescue the little sisters. Now I know people harvested many times. Does that have an effect on the game? Meaning does that shorten the game. I really don't want to give the ending away. The game has a pretty cool twist in it.

Some one pm me to not spoil.

Eris
08-26-2007, 07:07 AM
International 4-8818: FIVE HOURS? It took me nearly three times that long to beat the game, and I didn't drag my feet. What difficulty level did you play it on? Easy? You're really supposed to play more of a Diehard style game than a Rambo one, setting traps and ninjaing off your enemies in cleaver ways. Try playing it on hard and exploring more. Also, disable that bloody quest arrow in the settings, it spoils half the game. Also, use spoiler tags when discussing the game plot, would you kindly?

I really want this game .. but srtest.com tells me my computer only rates halfway between the minimum and recommended bar.. and it fails in the recommended category.

I want a new graphics card before I play this .. I hate playing games if I can't play them the way they were meant to.

It actually plays quite well on a cheap graphics card, as long as it is a -new- cheap graphics card. As long as you don't want very high resolutions, but stick with the default 1024x768, a GeForce 8600 GT is all you need.

Searoz MacDowell
08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Hehe, I see you still managed to slide a bit of the story into your post though, sneaky :p

Light Buster
08-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Just in...X-Play gives BioShock a 5 out of 5! Now is a good time to get a PC or Xbox 360. I would give this game the same score since it's this good.

bakakame
08-27-2007, 07:49 PM
I still think they overrated it. I'd have given it a 4/5.

Child_of_Decadence
08-29-2007, 05:52 PM
have only played for about an hour so far. it's fun and the atmosphere of the game is what really makes it great to me. it is very much like half life 2 in a way which by no means is a bad thing. i'll wait to give more of my 2 cents until after i finish it

Sagat
08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
It actually plays quite well on a cheap graphics card, as long as it is a -new- cheap graphics card. As long as you don't want very high resolutions, but stick with the default 1024x768, a GeForce 8600 GT is all you need.

Are GeForce 8600GT considered cheap cards? I thought they were good? Asking because I was going to buy one..

International 4-8818
08-29-2007, 08:52 PM
International 4-8818: FIVE HOURS? It took me nearly three times that long to beat the game, and I didn't drag my feet. What difficulty level did you play it on? Easy? You're really supposed to play more of a Diehard style game than a Rambo one, setting traps and ninjaing off your enemies in cleaver ways. Try playing it on hard and exploring more. Also, disable that bloody quest arrow in the settings, it spoils half the game. Also, use spoiler tags when discussing the game plot, would you kindly?

I played on hard. It took me a couple of days. It was just the total gameplay took me five hours. What about you.

PanzerJager
08-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Are GeForce 8600GT considered cheap cards? I thought they were good? Asking because I was going to buy one..

the 8600 nvidia cards are great and relatively cheap at $120 for the 256mb version and you should be fine with it because it is well above the recommended 7900 or better. Although depending on you should consider the 8800 line of cards which are top-of-the-line which are about $300 and up..

Sagat
08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
So the 8800 series are considered part of the upper echelon so to speak? It doesn't seem bank breaking and I am assuming it's 512mb? That should play this game on high settings well, should it not?

Something else I am wondering - what is the multiplayer like on this game? Is there one?

Eris
08-30-2007, 05:15 AM
So the 8800 series are considered part of the upper echelon so to speak? It doesn't seem bank breaking and I am assuming it's 512mb? That should play this game on high settings well, should it not?

Something else I am wondering - what is the multiplayer like on this game? Is there one?

8600 will play the game in acceptable manner, 8800 will play it really well.

It sort of depends on what sort of computer you like. You can find passively cooled 8600:s, which means no extra noise from the graphics card, but that's not available for 8800:s as far as I can understand. But then you need to weigh in how much of a racket your computer already makes, if the fans already in the computer make a lot of noise, a quiet GPU wouldn't make a difference.

There is no multiplayer.

PanzerJager
08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
true, while some people care about the noise their comp makes. I really don't find even really loud computers that annoying, I use headphones, even if you don't the game should block out the noise and even if it doesn't then after a long time you only hear it if you want to (after I listen to the same sound a long time I block it out subconsciously ;)).

PanzerJager
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM

The 8800 NVidia card series has three models; GeForce 8800 GTS, 8800 GTX, and 8800 Ultra. The GTS comes in 320 or 640mb versions, while the GTX and Ultra cards are 768mb only.

more detailed info here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_8800.html

Prices are as follows (average):

320mb GTS- $250
640mb GTS- $350
GTX- $500
Ultra- $600

Eris
08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
true, while some people care about the noise their comp makes. I really don't find even really loud computers that annoying, I use headphones, even if you don't the game should block out the noise and even if it doesn't then after a long time you only hear it if you want to (after I listen to the same sound a long time I block it out subconsciously ;)).

Depends on your computer, i guess. I have a very, VERY quiet computer (it is about the same volume as writing with a pencil on paper), so it would be a shame to spoil that by having a really noisy GPU.