PDA

View Full Version : Horror Games

drm0ney
07-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm really in to horror games but i can't hardly find any! I love Resident Evil and Silent Hill is good too, but what else is out there?

Tempest Wind
07-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Horror is a rather dying genre....Pretty much those two series are the only good ones right now(I more than likely have missed some <.<)

Regex
07-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Depends on what you want to consider "horror"

I don't like that genre at all. It's uncreative, unimaginative, and most of all, unpleasant.

That being said, I enjoy Dead Rising. It's a new twist on an old idea.

Azel
07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
F.E.A.R.
Bloodrayne 1 and 2
Alone in the Dark series
Devil May Cry series
Omnimusha series
The Thing
Clock Tower series
Fatal Frame series
The House of the Dead
Dino Crisis
Vampire Rain
Extermination
Spawn
The Suffering 1 and 2

chrisb
07-21-2007, 11:47 PM
One horror game that gets little attention I think is Indigo Prophecy, although yes it does have a more suspense/thriller feel, it's a very realistic horror game that has some great acting and I really like its cinematic feel.

Silent Hill 2 is my favorite of the Silent Hill series, it's very good story wise and it's the one that creeps me out the most. The emotions are very good too, I could feel the character's sadness due to the great voice acting.

Resident Evil 4 is the best gameplay wise, and it has it scary moments but the scariest Resident Evil for me was 2 and 0, they had good graphics and they were especially creepy.

If you're looking for horror I'd recommend Fatal Frame 2, it's a really great game!

bakakame
07-22-2007, 12:43 AM
I think the horror genre is a dud as a whole. Regex pretty much hit the nail on the head describing it.

The only good pure horror game I've ever played was Fatal Frame 2. I did also enjoy F.E.A.R. but mostly I enjoyed the FPS aspect the most. Given that you already say you like RE and SH you have much different taste than me, so I don't know how my opinion might be suited to you.

As a rule, for me anyway, if you have an assault weapon of any kind it's no longer even capeable of being scary. (Well there was one exception: when you first encounter "The Flood" in Halo: Combat Evolved was fairly creepy)

Kuga
07-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, as Tempest Wind said... the horror genre is pretty much dying. But then again, I only have played PSOne/2 games and the only good ones on there are Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Perhaps there is more good horror games for other consoles that I'm not aware of... but for PC, there's F.E.A.R.. and Fatal Frame for PS2.

Overlord Darth Fluffles
07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Ehh, I dun really like Horror Games, not cause I find them scary, I'm all for a good scare. But for mainly they aren't very scary or good. Now, Silent Hill, that to me is jsut GOD. It DID freak me out a bit, but...alas...I loved Silent Hill...and I can't find mine...I need a new one. TO eBay!

SuperSidekick
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Darkness or Area 51 are good games to try.

unspun
07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Darkness or Area 51 are good games to try.

Area 51 isn't a horror game

And The Darkness is awesome, if you're referring to the PS3 game that just came out.

SuperSidekick
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
well Area 51 really isnt a horror game but its fun non-the-less

Ωmega
07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Fatal Frames 2 and 3, but more towards 3. The first of the series is a bit hard to come by, has poorer graphics, and is a bit harder [Ive noticed the shutter doesnt respond very well].
But 3 is the best imo, since they tie the first two games into it, and the ghosts are creepier [needle woman!]

Also, not really a horror per-say, but Rule of Rose was another fantastic game.

Games to stay AWAY from:
Siren
Alone in the Dark

I personally think those two suck beyond anything

Light Buster
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
If you watched X-Play's Top 10 Scariest Games Of All Time (on G4), here is the list:

10) Alone In The Dark (PC, came out in 1991)
9) F.E.A.R (PC, Xbox 360, PS3)
8) Clocktower (Original Playstation)
7) Siren (PS2)
6) Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
5) Enternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Gamecube)
4) Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3) Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (Xbox)
2) System Shock 2 (PC, came out in 1999)
1) Silent Hill 2 (PS2, Yes, this game is literaly scary.)

These are the list of the most scariest game to keep you intrested.

-Batman-
07-23-2007, 10:58 PM
If you watched X-Play's Top 10 Scariest Games Of All Time (on G4), here is the list:

X-Play blows.

[quote]4) Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)[/qoute]

As much as I love Resident Evil...What? Resident Evil 4's camera angle made it more...Theatrical than scary.

The only game that ever actually make me like...Jump from time to time?
Doom 3, at night, with the lights off.

Kuga
07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Resident Evil 4.. meh.. as good it is, but it isn't that scary. I wish they had released the original RE4 that the Japanese had before the final version. I watched a video of the original version at gametrailers.com... and it's SO much better and definitely creepier.

drm0ney
07-24-2007, 12:13 PM
[quote=Kuga;1777126]Resident Evil 4.. meh.. as good it is, but it isn't that scary. /quote]

I agree, RE4 wasn't all that scary.
Thanks for all the ideas, I'll be checking them out!

*~Lily_Gemini~*
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
the suffering bent me out of shape and left me screaming.
and also, its not really horror more suspense then anything i think, but it sorta scared me, was Condemned criminal origins for xbox360. i about started crying it freaked me out so bad

Tempest Wind
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
The only thing about RE4 that scared me was when you first fight the Regenerators. I didnt know how to kill it, so I had shot its leg, so as to run past it. After its leg was blown away for some reason, I started to run past it, then out of nowhere, it jumps on top of me, leaving me like "WTF". Pretty much the only scary thing about it, and even then it wasnt that very scary....

Wolfwood
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil and Silent hill have always been my favs for horror. Also Eternal Darkness on the gamecube. pretty freaky stuff there when your sanity level drops.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Giliwko
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Resident evil 3 nemesis...I can't stop my heart from beating fast if nemesis is on my way.

unspun
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I can honestly say in my humble opinion that Eternal Darkness beats out on all horror games, because it's completely original (aside from the first silent hill)

rumor is that Nintendo will be making a second one, though I doubt it.

Azel
07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
I can honestly say in my humble opinion that Eternal Darkness beats out on all horror games, because it's completely original (aside from the first silent hill)

rumor is that Nintendo will be making a second one, though I doubt it.

I would like that to happen but that rumor does not seem reliable in the least bit.

Masali
07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Doom 3 was scarier than any horror game I've ever played.

That being said, something still draws me to the Resident Evil games. I just love zombies oh-so-much. And the nostalgia hits me whenever i run through hordes of zombies with no ammo to the save room and clack away on the typewriter.

Lavos
07-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Definitely anything from the Fatal Frame series.

BuLmA
08-22-2007, 03:13 AM
Oh wow!! "Silent Hill" is also scary! while your playing it your heart always beating fast.