PDA

View Full Version : Why did Kikyo go to Hell?

Raining Sorrow
06-09-2007, 06:36 PM
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_9005746704e5974e6a.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=12614)The concept of Kikyo going to Hell plays an important part throughout the InuYasha series... When Kikyo and InuYasha were tricked into betraying each other and then both left the world for 50 years... And when Kikyo tried to take InuYasha to Hell with her...And when Naraku is cursing Kikyo for following InuYasha in death... And even when Kikyo and InuYasha say their final goodbyes and the conclusion to their tragic love song of destiny finally comes to pass...

All of these moments and many more can somehow or other be traced back to what happened between InuYasha and Kikyo 50 years before: Their love, betrayal, and Kikyo's death (as well as her going to hell), and Kikyo's reincarnation and resurrection...and everything that happened thereafter.

All of this I'm sure you hear often... But what I want to discuss is a slightly less-often spoke of topic. And that is... Why did Kikyo go to hell?

Personally... I believe that it was because of her final thoughts and feelings for InuYasha. During her life, Kikyo was a wonderful person... She cared for others, played with the village children, protected the Shikon no Tama with her life, and put up a very tough front... even though (and InuYasha was the only person whom she revealed this to) inside she longed for the life and ability to love and be loved as a normal woman could. When she and InuYasha fell in love, because the love was so real, Kikyo's entire existence only became that much more happy and pure. It wasn't until she and InuYasha were deceived by Naraku and felt betrayed by one another, that Kikyo would have any reason whatsoever to go to Hell. And even when she pinned InuYasha to the sacred tree... she wasn't doing it out of hate... it was because she had to protect the Jewel of Four Souls. Besides that, Kikyo didn't kill InuYasha (which she could have done easily, had she truly wanted to). She placed him under a spell. I think that this was because she still... under all that broken trust... had love for InuYasha.

But perhaps, since Kikyo used the last of her life to seal InuYasha away... and also because of her negative emotions toward him and the world in that moment... Maybe that's why she ended up in Hell...

Any other thoughts, opinions, or comments? Please post.

Note:
This thread is for individuals with thoughts and theories. It is not for close-minded or arrogant people who plan to post paragraphs and paragraphs about their passionate hate for Kikyo. Personal opinions are ok... but this question is for discussion... not conflict.

Example of a stupid post: "Why did Kikyo got hell...? Oh... Idk... maybe because... SHE'S A SICK-MINDED, EMOTIONLESS ZOMBIE WENCH WITH AN INFATUATION FOR KAGOME'S MAN!!! Why did kikyo go to hell?!?!?!?!What kind of a question is that?? It's so obvious..." and on and on...

Those answers are pointless... and they can take a question that deserves some thought and mess up the whole thread by turning it into a battlefield...

So please respect everyone's opinions and take them into thought and consideration. Closing your ears and yelling "LaLaLa- I'm not listening" is immature and it doesn't solve anything. Whether you're a Kagome fan or a Kikyo fan or whatever... just tell what you think and then listen to the thoughts of others without judging.

Thanks...

post edited for cursing -Maru

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Because she sucks.

Oh, come off it. She eats souls. She's undead. She could have chosen to not eat souls, and kill herself off that way. She didn't. She decided to stick around to mess with Inu-Yasha. Even after it became obvious she was tricked.

Princess Reina
06-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Honestly? I have no idea. Like you said, she was a good person, she helped others, played with children and everything what she did wrong was pinning Inuyasha to the tree. Kikyou was unhappy because she had a weird power inside and wanted live as a ordinary woman. She wasn't evil, that why I don't understand why she unded up in hell.

KeokoXxXInuzuka
06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Mostly if you ever notice they say everything goes to hell on their, So thats why she went their oO; Just try listening to the whole thing on every episode and they say hell or afterlife(something like that)

Kagome
06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
....Actually-to tell the truth...Kikyou did not go to the hell we consider as hell. She just went to the afterlife. Hell is the anglisized translation for jikoku, a word which is never mentioned in the Inuyasha series in Japanese. She just went to goshu, which is merely the afterlife.

smile1010
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Idk, because she didn't protect the jewl?? Because she had her mind on a boyfriend
now what really mattered.
Cause the demons that took forth of Onigumo's body dragged Kikiyo to hell.
I don't know >.>

Jose
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
because she feeds on
of the souls of the dead

ino_09
06-12-2007, 01:35 AM
i think he did not go to hell

he just die but her soul remain on earth

that just what i thought

Neko Yasha
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
It's true that Kikyo was a good person, but that was mainly in her former life. After she was revived, she kind of pretended to be nice, and she tried to kill Inuyasha. Another thing that might have to do with Kikyo's going to hell might be the fact that she was revived by a witch.

Raining Sorrow
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
....Actually-to tell the truth...Kikyou did not go to the hell we consider as hell. She just went to the afterlife. Hell is the anglisized translation for jikoku, a word which is never mentioned in the Inuyasha series in Japanese. She just went to goshu, which is merely the afterlife.

Ok... that does make a lot more sense... Yeah, now that I think about it... anime rarely says much about people going to paradise after they die... They usually just say something like "the netherworld" or "place beyond"... And also, they hardly ever compare heaven and hell at all...
(Well... there was that one Naruto episode where Zabuza was saying he wish he could've gone where Haku had gone and...)

Anyway...Thanks for the explanation.

(Take that Kikyo haters...)

MysticFairyDrmz
06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Honestly? I have no idea. Like you said, she was a good person, she helped others, played with children and everything what she did wrong was pinning Inuyasha to the tree. Kikyou was unhappy because she had a weird power inside and wanted live as a ordinary woman. She wasn't evil, that why I don't understand why she unded up in hell.

how was that wrong? she was angry cause she thought he betrayed her thats why she pinned him to the tree. If she knew it wasnt him then she wouldnt of done that so its not like she did it on purpose. :p

It's true that Kikyo was a good person, but that was mainly in her former life. After she was revived, she kind of pretended to be nice, and she tried to kill Inuyasha. Another thing that might have to do with Kikyo's going to hell might be the fact that she was revived by a witch.

ok i am starting to wonder if anyone has actually watched the anime because if people did they would realize that she only tried killing him after she was brought back. After she found out it was Naraku thats who she went after. She only tried to kill Inuyasha in a couple of episodes.

Mostly if you ever notice they say everything goes to hell on their, So thats why she went their oO; Just try listening to the whole thing on every episode and they say hell or afterlife(something like that)

i think the word most used on their was netherworld or was it. :p

Raining Sorrow
06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Because she sucks.

Oh, come off it. She eats souls. She's undead. She could have chosen to not eat souls, and kill herself off that way. She didn't. She decided to stick around to mess with Inu-Yasha. Even after it became obvious she was tricked.

"Because she sucks"... That's kind of shallow... I wasn't talking about her life after her resurrection. 50 years before, she was alive, she did not eat souls, and she didn't suck. (I personally don't think she sucked afterward either, but plenty of people do, so I'll just stop there...)

Kikyo was a good person before everything happened... and her entire being shouldn't be detested just because she went through hell...literally...

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
"Because she sucks"... That's kind of shallow... I wasn't talking about her life after her resurrection. 50 years before, she was alive, she did not eat souls, and she didn't suck. (I personally don't think she sucked afterward either, but plenty of people do, so I'll just stop there...)

Kikyo was a good person before everything happened... and her entire being shouldn't be detested just because she went through hell...literally...
Well, I go by logic. If you're a lich, and you eat souls, and you don't throw yourself off a cliff, you're evil.

Also... Hint to rep giver: Either you don't understand sarcasm, or you don't understand the spoiler tag. Or both.

Kagome
06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, I go by logic. If you're a lich, and you eat souls, and you don't throw yourself off a cliff, you're evil.

Also... Hint to rep giver: Either you don't understand sarcasm, or you don't understand the spoiler tag. Or both.

Kikyou...did throw herself off of cliffs though...Nonstop....It was like some kind of mental illness she had. Everytime she was near a cliff--OOPS! Over and down she went.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Kikyou...did throw herself off of cliffs though...Nonstop....It was like some kind of mental illness she had. Everytime she was near a cliff--OOPS! Over and down she went.

Then she needs higher cliffs. Or pointier rocks. Or to switch methods.

Gladolock
06-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Hmmm... Maybe because she loved a half-demon and than betrayed him?
and stole souls?

silen_princess
06-18-2007, 04:44 AM
i always thought she did not go to hell

she's physically alive but espiritually dead

MysticFairyDrmz
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
i always thought she did not go to hell

she's physically alive but espiritually dead

in the anime she was physically dead and spiritually alive you kinda got it backwards however in the manga she is finally R.I.P.

LitleMoonDemon
06-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Ha? Sey what? Ok,ok so your teling me that Kikyo didn't go to hell and that umm...my head hurts...I was going to say "because she is a beach,and yea for inuyasha and other crap like that" but you totally blow me of the my compas.Did enywhone ever tell you that you are much smarter then every day -normal- people? O.o

Sorry for my bad speling

Kagome
06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Ha? Sey what? Ok,ok so your teling me that Kikyo didn't go to hell and that umm...my head hurts...I was going to say "because she is a beach,and yea for inuyasha and other crap like that" but you totally blow me of the my compas.Did enywhone ever tell you that you are much smarter then every day -normal- people? O.o

Sorry for my bad speling

Yeas...That's sorta what I was telling people. She didn't go to the hell we consider hell. She just went to the afterlife...After all, setting any wayward hate/dislike for the woman aside-in the Shinto-Bhuddist religion you'd only go to the Jigoku version of hell if you were evil. She wasn't evil-just angry. I'd go into a LOT more detail in explaining this...but I don't wanna bore anyone.

And-err...no...no one really has, are you being serious? o.O;;;

Superbi Squalo
06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Very true. She did live off souls. And that be there a sin. And a dangerous one at that. She should be in hell for her mis and wrong doings.

MysticFairyDrmz
06-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Yeas...That's sorta what I was telling people. She didn't go to the hell we consider hell. She just went to the afterlife...After all, setting any wayward hate/dislike for the woman aside-in the Shinto-Bhuddist religion you'd only go to the Jigoku version of hell if you were evil. She wasn't evil-just angry. I'd go into a LOT more detail in explaining this...but I don't wanna bore anyone.

And-err...no...no one really has, are you being serious? o.O;;;

i don't think going into detail will work. That would be like trying to tell people she's dead. It will also fall on death ears. :p

Kagome
06-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Deaf* honey. The word is deaf. It may-or it may not. A few people have read what I've said, you being one, so all is not completely lost.

MysticFairyDrmz
06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Deaf* honey. The word is deaf. It may-or it may not. A few people have read what I've said, you being one, so all is not completely lost.

oops well i never said i could spell lol and i guess your right we can always hope :p

BEHIND THE MASK
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
he he

I could go through the forum all day and be entertained by the idiocy and mispelling everone does... in fact, its a rather good subsititute for the funnies in the Sunday paper.

Anyways...

I agree with Kagome (big surprise eh?)

Fetal Fetish
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I am honestly at a loss. It's confusing, balancing her life and last emotions and things to determine how come she went to hell. But, then again, maybe the religion is different from ours. I remember from the third movie that hell was the world of the dead, and heaven was the home the gods. Maybe anyone that died went to hell. *shrugs* Who knows? Or, like Kagome said, the hell they refer to isn't really "hell"? It's the afterlife. Waaah...My head hurts. x_x;

MysticFairyDrmz
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
For the idiocy I wasn't really referring to you...

I was talking about those who insist on posting in the "Characters you want dead" thread, that keep saying they want kikyo dead.

She's dead... shut-up.

Oh i see. Yes i know what you mean. That was a pain to constantly see. I totally agree with you and Kagome and Maru on that department. :D

~*Chaotic_Kitty*~
06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I wished her to hell for being so dim witted.:closedeye

Kagome
06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I am honestly at a loss. It's confusing, balancing her life and last emotions and things to determine how come she went to hell. But, then again, maybe the religion is different from ours. I remember from the third movie that hell was the world of the dead, and heaven was the home the gods. Maybe anyone that died went to hell. *shrugs* Who knows? Or, like Kagome said, the hell they refer to isn't really "hell"? It's the afterlife. Waaah...My head hurts. x_x;

Yesh. The religion is different. Shintoism is a religion found practiced *only* in Japan.

And, I do recall the Hell/Nirvana thing in the third movie...but the third movie was created by the animators trying to squeeze every nickel and dime they could from the Inuyasha saga by creating their own spin on things...So it doesn't follow through in any case. :d

Kincho Hanako
06-19-2007, 12:33 AM
She went to hell because she was an evil little...nvm...:mad:

~Pure Soul~
06-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I agree. She was selfish. She was the dead and her grudge against Inuyasha didnt let her move on. Did she die at the end?I didnt see the last episode.

かごめ
06-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I agree. She was selfish. She was the dead and her grudge against Inuyasha didnt let her move on. Did she die at the end?I didnt see the last episode.

For this answer...See The VERY FIRST THREAD in this forum.

MysticFairyDrmz
06-24-2007, 06:42 PM

also if you watched most the anime you would of seen she didnt have that grudge anymore and she did move on. She only had that grudge in a couple of episodes when she was brought back so i dont see why people keep saying that.

KankurosGirl
06-29-2007, 08:14 PM
um because she didn't protect the jewel and took vengence on Inuyasha and ya

Wio
06-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Yesh. The religion is different. Shintoism is a religion found practiced *only* in Japan.

And, I do recall the Hell/Nirvana thing in the third movie...but the third movie was created by the animators trying to squeeze every nickel and dime they could from the Inuyasha saga by creating their own spin on things...So it doesn't follow through in any case. :d
Actually, there is an episode in the anime that talks about a demon which takes care of kids and takes the bad ones to a 'hell'. Kikyo does mention taking Inuyasha to hell with her also.

The only thing I think Kikyo does that is evil was when she scared the S out of Kagome. She was obvious jealous but what she did was wrong.

Kagome
06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
...I never said Hell didn't exist...>> In fact I said earlier that Jigoku was the term for that Hell...o.o as well as the fact that Kikyou didn't go to Jigoku because she wasn't evil. Read the rest of the posts before assuming?

Wio
06-30-2007, 01:04 AM
...I never said Hell didn't exist...>> In fact I said earlier that Jigoku was the term for that Hell...o.o as well as the fact that Kikyou didn't go to Jigoku because she wasn't evil. Read the rest of the posts before assuming?
I was citing places where the animators (of the anime) put in things about hell. It didn't seem like the movie animators were that different...

Kagome
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I was citing places where the animators (of the anime) put in things about hell. It didn't seem like the movie animators were that different...

I still never said that Jigoku was created specifically for the movie...o.o I know it's mentioned in other places-I was just kinda pointing out that the third movie and it's Jigoku had nothing to do with Kikyou and/or the actual story line.

jonram91
06-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I think that she shouldn't have gone to hell. Like you said, she did good acts and practically sacrificed her life to servitude to others. I think it's possible that if she made some kind of vow never to fall in love, then she might have been sent there because she gave in to temptation. Probably her hate was the thing that did her in. However, I don't really think that that one instance would be enough to condemn her after a life of service, but that's just my opinion.

Serenith Youkai
07-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't think there is such a think as heaven on Inuyasha, resting in peace maybe but no heaven. I havn't heard anyome from the feudal era speak of heaven (unless I missed an episode or two). Anyways I think she went to hell because of the way she died I suppose, full of hatred torwards Inuyasha, being killed by him (naraku), and the betrayal she felt. LIke she said in the manga, "I died hating you Inuyasha", at least I think she said that in the anime or manga ><;;

Marshmallow Fluff
07-29-2007, 04:55 AM
I don't know why Kikyo went to Hell...:oy:

Sakura-Kinomoto
08-01-2007, 09:50 AM
She didn't even go to hell.. She went to afterlife. ._.

Nephthys
09-29-2007, 11:24 AM
i agree with the because she sux theory

Kagome
09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
....Kaoru-chan...How can you say that? And you call yourself a Kenshin fan...Shame on you!! xO

Nephthys
10-11-2007, 01:50 PM
yes dear kenshin fan not kikiyo fan im for kagome

Variados
10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
She didn't even go to hell.. She went to afterlife. ._.
That is true, she did not went to hell, she re-encarnated in Kagome, now when she was revived only part of her went to the shell, except that has the memories of her past life...
so Kikyo is Kagome, except Kagome does not has memories of being Kikyo.
And Kikyo is just a walking memory,:laugh: and it works sort of the way, Kikyo does not belong to that time neither does Kagome. So, Kikyo moved on.

Kagome
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
yes dear kenshin fan not kikiyo fan im for kagome

My point with that is No true Kenshin fan would think that way, because they ought to idolize Kenshin, and Kenshin would shun you for thinking in such a derogatory way!

Nephthys
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
okay look my response wasn't diraGATORY. trust me it could get alot worst! Like the private message i just got, but i digress. Anyway as far as kenshin shunning me, now you hurt my feelings. If i had to awnser the question seriously however i think kikiyo went to hell because she was selfish. She wanted inuyasha to purify the jewel so that SHE could live a normal life. Evrything she did was for herself and what she didn't do for herself she found ways to get out of. Now as far as idoloizing kenshin. I like the guy, but i don't idolize him. he is after all a cartoon. and how can anyone judge the likes or dislikes of another person and to which degree they go? (in response to a true kenshin fan) So as far for kikiyo, hey i don't like the girl thats my opinion. if you like her thats yours. sp for now ill just agree to disagree. And to the moderators i apologize for the other diragatory message on here...that yall deleted....even though i bleeped out the bad language. I was only tyrying to explain diragatory:) but still.

kyimablades
11-30-2007, 11:13 PM
This was a man stealin geasha and deserves to burn in hell:mad:

Asriel
11-30-2007, 11:20 PM
She went ta hell because she was acting like such a -...- and didn't even listen to what Inuyasha had to say.
Also i'm more of a Kagome fan than Kikyo fan.

Kagome
12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
This was a man stealin geasha and deserves to burn in hell:mad:

Excuse me...what? O.o That made no sense whatsoever...

dark_blue
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
i think maybe she take soul.

Amyrat151
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
In truth if seems that her soul went to the after life to then be repackaged and reborn as Kagome. It seems that her soul going to hell was a mistranslation.
The only reason I can see that she would be damed to Hell is because a) she died with deep hatred in her heart towards InuYasha b) because she turned her back on being a servant to the world, who portects it to be with InuYahsa.
I have to say that Kikyou should of seen her untimely end coming, her fate was to keep the jewel pure. To sum her obliagation up, she belonged to a group of people who's life moto was "we fight, we die." So because she pursued a normal, oblagation free-life, trying to get out of it, she died. That's just my opinion.

☆LadyKikyou☆
12-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Good god I just read one page of all this and got irritated.. Anyway.. heres why I believe Kikyo went to hell. Think about it.. before she and Inuyasha were betrayed..she was going to use the jewle for her own benifit..even though it was a good way to use it.(Make Inuyasha human) it was still for her selfish way..bc she so wanted to live like a normal woman..She didnt want to embrace her destiny as a preistest.

Kagome
12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Good god I just read one page of all this and got irritated.. Anyway.. heres why I believe Kikyo went to hell. Think about it.. before she and Inuyasha were betrayed..she was going to use the jewle for her own benifit..even though it was a good way to use it.(Make Inuyasha human) it was still for her selfish way..bc she so wanted to live like a normal woman..She didnt want to embrace her destiny as a preistest.

It's priestess,* no T at the end of that word.

Anyway, she didn't go to Hell at all...like I said on the first page: "...Actually-to tell the truth...Kikyou did not go to the hell we consider as hell. She just went to the afterlife. Hell is the anglisized translation for jikoku, a word which is never mentioned in the Inuyasha series in Japanese. She just went to goshu, which is merely the afterlife."

Anbu Root Sai
12-22-2007, 09:41 PM
She went to hell because she was a bad girl.

golden eyes19
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Regardless of whether she REALLY went or not- I think its because she was in love with a demon. purely good or not, nobody looked kindly upon it and looking at it from regular religious views, that would be a great reason for her to burn. (no offense intended- I love Inuyasha and my beloved Koga)