PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP or Nintendo DS?

ShinnAsuka
05-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey i just want to see what handheld is better the nintendo ds or sony psp i already own a nintendo ds and im saving up for a psp.

MomijiTMO
05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I say DS as it is more portable due to it's longer battery life.

I guess it depends on what you want more. The PSP does more things, has far superior graphics but lacks in the battery department; a key element of a portable device. If you are only travelling short distances, then the PSP will win. . . . The opposite applies too.

Levanter
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I only have a PSP... but I'm thinking I want a DS too.^^ Don't get me wrong, I love the PSP. It has filled up the times where I would've been bored to death---traveling long distances, waiting in line, waiting for friends in a meeting place, etc. I love the fact that it can store pictures and movies. When I don't feel like playing I just use the PSP to watch anime.
However if you're just getting it to play games, then you'll never have your money's worth. The PSP lacks good games, and that's why I want to buy a DS.

Also, I dunno about the DS, but with the PSP, you can't play it in direct sunlight. You'd barely be able to see the screen. You'd need to be in a shade or something.

Ricecakes™
05-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I've had A Nintendo DS, but I sold it for a PSP&&games for it! And, I don't regret it at all. My PSP is so much better, I could tell already. Plus! - It's pink <33

Kaitou Ace
05-28-2007, 01:20 AM
I have both. The PSP has better graphics, but the games for the DS tend to be more fun, so usually I have the DS with me and not the PSP.

Grim Scythe
05-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Neo Geo

forget that man it hasnt had a new game in forever

i say DS all the way
my friends PSPs kept erasing itself

Faceless111
05-28-2007, 02:57 AM
I had a Gameboy Color, if that helps. And it was addictive, I played Pokemon 24/7. Dead serious.

Princess Minako
05-28-2007, 05:50 AM
wrong forum.. moving to video games.

kwnbintang
05-28-2007, 08:35 AM
hard to say but i think ds is more better:p

Famahama
05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I own a PSP. But i really want the DS. Some of my favorite games are on the DS (Pokemon ^^) But the PSP is good enough for me.

Princess Reina
05-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I love DS. I can take it everywhere^^ PSP is fine but DS has made my heart soft.

bttr
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
The psp is getting turned into a phone O.o.

I have both PSP and DS

PSP naughty Pics on it > : )

Ds it's cool(screens scratched)

Luzifer
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I have a PSP... only because Nippon Ichi makes games for it... and Nippon ichi makes some of the most fun games in the world...

thats about the only reason though...

though actually i rarely play videogames while traveling... in fact 90&#37; of my play time on my various portable gaming systems (from Gameboy to PSP) have been at home... I just find it very annoying to see people playing video games while traveling and so i don't do it myself... or when i do it makes me feel uncomfortable...

The main reason is that travel, for me, is a time to be free of video games and other earthly constraints. As a person who has to spend at least 20 minutes driving just to get groceries I have learned that the pleasure of traveling is the time it gives you to think and ponder... but now I am digressing

koikazeflip
05-30-2007, 04:17 AM
for me.. this is an easy choice.. nintendo ds.. simply because in my opinion there are more good ds games to play than there there are good psp games to play..

Neal Raven
05-30-2007, 08:19 AM
well, i like the PSP best cause it got the graphics of a ps2 and the DS mostly doesnt
plus the psp can play movies and tv

German_Sniper9
05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Ill choose PSP cause theres alot more you can do...

Gintara
05-31-2007, 06:24 PM
PSP because I have one; but if I had a DS it would be that one because all those fun games you can play.

Plus you can do more with the PSP.

Sobriquet
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
PSP because of different varieties.

smile1010
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
DS all the way.

Ranshiin
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I have both a PSP and a DS.

In my opinion the PSP is better. It has more memory (if you get a decent memory stick in it) and you can store pretty much anything on it.

Also the thing doubles as a damn good music player - and coupled with the fact the recent firmware update installed music visualisations. Thata side, I can get my PSP to play music non-stop for about 20 hours - a lot longer than an iPod.

There may be more innotive (sp?) games on the DS but I don't see many good racing games on it, and it lacks multimedia capabilities as of the moment (for now) so I'll stick with PSP for the moment. O_o

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-01-2007, 08:39 AM
PSP. Simply because there are actually games I'd want to play on it. There are games I would play if I had a DS, but I don't really want to play them.

Regex
06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I know four people who bought a PSP.
One of them sold his. The others tried to sell theirs, but they couldn't find a sucker who was willing to buy. All three of them ended up giving their PSP's away.

Meanwhile, I know many more people who have a DS (and some who have two), and they all play theirs.

Abeko
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
DS, DS, DS, DS, DS, DS... Sony sucks noodles, save for a few good games.. Not to mention, the PSP isn't built very well..

(_YvOnSo_)
06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I would say the DS. I got into tapping the screen so much, when I play a PSP, I'm always tapping the screen. Im serious!! 0.o

Light Buster
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Both. They have a number of good games. And I like them.

Jdmk
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Ill say PSP all the way...

Light Buster
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I would say the DS. I got into tapping the screen so much, when I play a PSP, I'm always tapping the screen. Im serious!! 0.o

That's what the DS was meant for.

DS, DS, DS, DS, DS, DS... Sony sucks noodles, save for a few good games.. Not to mention, the PSP isn't built very well..

That's what the PSP 2.0 is meant for.

I know four people who bought a PSP.
One of them sold his. The others tried to sell theirs, but they couldn't find a sucker who was willing to buy. All three of them ended up giving their PSP's away.

Meanwhile, I know many more people who have a DS (and some who have two), and they all play theirs.

Looks like the four people you know were suckers for punishment.

I have a PSP... only because Nippon Ichi makes games for it... and Nippon ichi makes some of the most fun games in the world...

thats about the only reason though...

though actually i rarely play videogames while traveling... in fact 90% of my play time on my various portable gaming systems (from Gameboy to PSP) have been at home... I just find it very annoying to see people playing video games while traveling and so i don't do it myself... or when i do it makes me feel uncomfortable...

The main reason is that travel, for me, is a time to be free of video games and other earthly constraints. As a person who has to spend at least 20 minutes driving just to get groceries I have learned that the pleasure of traveling is the time it gives you to think and ponder... but now I am digressing

Are they good games?

The psp is getting turned into a phone O.o.

I have both PSP and DS

PSP naughty Pics on it > : )

Ds it's cool(screens scratched)

Are you serious about the phone part?

I've had A Nintendo DS, but I sold it for a PSP&&games for it! And, I don't regret it at all. My PSP is so much better, I could tell already. Plus! - It's pink <33

Pink? It can't be pink unless it's cover is pink.

Regex
06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Looks like the four people you know were suckers for punishment.Yeah, I tried to tell them not to get it.

They were so sure that they were getting something good. But they eventually all conceded that I was right all along.

Gaarademon
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
ive played both and i like them both....but i really think the nintendo DS is so much better i liked animalcrossing and ff3 those are some of the good games they have for the DS

MistaCloudStrife
06-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Pink? It can't be pink unless it's cover is pink.
There's a pink one. And aside from the black there's also a white, silver, gold and metallic blue one.

As far as the system, I would say the PSP is way better than the DS. DS 3D graphics suck compared to the PSP. Compare Crisis Core and Dissidia Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy III and IV on the DS. Big difference.

Of course Nintendo has a huge amount of experience with handhelds. So some of the small things like the screen and such are better.(The screen doesn't reflect light as much as the PSP) They also have a big selection of games to choose from. The PSP on the other hand, is Sony's first handheld. Sony wanted to take on the iPOD, the Gameboy, and the like head on. And I would have to say they did a decent job. The PSP may live through this unlike several other handhelds. And it's only getting better. More (and better)games are coming out, the Playstation emulator is ready, and not to mention the price is dropping.

As for the games... I think the PSP and DS games are kind of divided. For example, if you want to play something like sports games(ex Madden), 3D Racing(Gran Turismo), FPS/TPS (Don't know any good ones but the DS couldn't take on shooters very well, i know that for sure), and 3D action(MGS, GTA SWB) you probably would want to get a PSP. Now if you're into Nintendo games like Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Pokemon, the DS is probably more for you. They have some pretty nifty brain games too.

And the rest like puzzle, roleplaying, stratagy, and fighting are more based on opinion. Both have a decent amount puzzle games. You might like Lumines or Puzzle Fighter... or you might like Meteos. Roleplaying... This one is pretty much siding with the DS in my opinion right now(Because of FFIII and Pokemon), which sucks, but when FFI, Crisis Core, and ToD2(OMG can't wait for this) come out I'll probably chance my mind. And stratagy... Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Advance wars, tae your pick. And fighting... I'll just give this one to the DS because of JUSS.

As for battery life, you can easily buy a battery that lasts longer. Or even buy multiple batteries. You just pop off the back of the PSP and replace it. There's even an add on that simulates a PS2 controller for the PSP that gives axtra battery life. Ah and a small bit of info; if you do put in a bigger battery an option for an extra bright screen becomes available for your PSP. So it'll have 4(?) different brightness settings after that.

Wolfwood
06-02-2007, 08:03 AM
who has more then 1 psp?
just asking cause my mate has 3. one for old nintendo and sega games, one for orginal playstation games and one for keeping up to date.
you can really hack them alot
it's interesting to see how many people buy a psp just to hack it aswell

=[[Wolfwood]]=

MistaCloudStrife
06-02-2007, 09:11 AM
OMG a waste of money. Custom firmware and multiple memory cards can make it so you would only need one PSP. =P

Wolfwood
06-02-2007, 12:37 PM
lol i don't question his logic since i only get things hacked or modded once they're old. (like my PS2 now)
meanwhile my PSP is staying up to-date till there's a PSP 2 or something.

the PSP camera will be interesting aswell. wonder if the DS will have these type of add-on's, like the gameboy printer

=[[Wolfwood]]=

-Batman-
06-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I have both a PSP and DS.

I say DS.

I play my DS all the time, I don't think my PSP has even been turned on since I graduated Highschool a YEAR ago. The only games that are any good on the PSP have the worlds Metal and Gear in the title.
I also don't care about the PSP's extra features.
Storing files and photo's? I have a small flashdrive for this. One with more memory than a PSP memory stick (Save the expensive assed ones), and it fits on my key ring.
Music? I have an iPod nano, which is smaller than the PSP's screen, and holds more music.
Movies? The PSP UMD player is crap. The screen is too small to enjoy a full length feature with other people. Not to mention you need to HOLD your PSP while watching a movie. Forget the popcorn and mountain dew, your hands are busy elsewhere.

As far as the PSP's graphics go...So what if the graphics on the PSP are superior. It doesn't change the fact that the games themselves suck.

FPS/TPS (Don't know any good ones but the DS couldn't take on shooters very well, i know that for sure)

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dsmetroidprimehunters/index.html?q=Metroid%20Prime%20Hunters&tag=result;title;0

snjkakashi
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
DS. i mean, come on cooking mama.

Kira_yamato69
06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I say the PSP!!

It may not have the best battery life but it still is a far supirior system.
You have a lot more things to do and the online play is killer! Right now they dont have all the greatest games out but still some of the titles that are out will have you playing for hours!

If your ages 5-11 DS is good for you because DS is nothing but kiddy games. PSP in every way is better. However the DS still beats the PSP in the 2 screens and able to flip up the screens.

Buruku
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
They're both very different devices imo, both with pros and cons. I've seen some, (make that a ton) of craptastic DS games, many of them look like freeware games for petes sake, but I'd say overall the DS is a far sturdier system with games and things working properly. I do feel the psp has released a decent amount of nice games, but no one buys them. You know why? Because the psp appeals to a LOT of people who arent interested in playing games, they just buy it because it looks cool, then use it for awhile for its other features and get bored, I've seen it a million times. For those who actually got a psp that WORKS PROPERLY and manage to scrap up the worthwhile games and I can see it being an enjoyable system.

My bf baught a psp for the first time a month back, he had to return in 3 times for various problems, each system had something wrong with it. He swore to never buy anything sony again (for like the 5th time)

btw, screw you Kira with your idiotic "kiddy game" bs that every senseless Sony Fanboy pulls. Go look at the pokemon thread and tell me its not fun.

Anyway, if sony wants to add all these things like camera, phones, music players etc, then they better work on getting it right for a change, because all they have been doing is releasing one thing that does everything mediocre if not poorly. I think the idea of having a game player with other features is neat, but don't make the game play suffer because of it.

MistaCloudStrife
06-06-2007, 05:42 PM
They're both very different devices imo, both with pros and cons. I've seen some, (make that a ton) of craptastic DS games, many of them look like freeware games for petes sake, but I'd say overall the DS is a far sturdier system with games and things working properly. I do feel the psp has released a decent amount of nice games, but no one buys them. You know why? Because the psp appeals to a LOT of people who arent interested in playing games, they just buy it because it looks cool, then use it for awhile for its other features and get bored, I've seen it a million times. For those who actually got a psp that WORKS PROPERLY and manage to scrap up the worthwhile games and I can see it being an enjoyable system.

My bf baught a psp for the first time a month back, he had to return in 3 times for various problems, each system had something wrong with it. He swore to never buy anything sony again (for like the 5th time)

btw, screw you Kira with your idiotic "kiddy game" bs that every senseless Sony Fanboy pulls. Go look at the pokemon thread and tell me its not fun.

Anyway, if sony wants to add all these things like camera, phones, music players etc, then they better work on getting it right for a change, because all they have been doing is releasing one thing that does everything mediocre if not poorly. I think the idea of having a game player with other features is neat, but don't make the game play suffer because of it.

Alright, it's "other" features you've mentioned. How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly. There aren't things like lag and such. No audio problems I've encountered. The only problem I've noticed is the amount of space, and that's fixed by a better and larger pd card. When compared to say the video ipod, a bigger screen for movies is alot better, wider screen is even a plus. And the audio even has a few options similar to what the original PS had. And how exactly is the gameplay suffering? Because the PSP can act as a camera does that somehow affect how the games are? I doubt that. You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them. Think about the gameboy's first games. It had the MOST simple games you could ever think of. What brought the gameboy up both in Japan and everywhere else was POKEMON. Without Pokemon, the gameboy wouldn't even be doing as good as they are now. It takes one really good game to bring a system up there. And that's basically a proven fact. One good game gets people to buy the system, and then that leads to more good games and more people buying the system.

KeoKyzuki
06-08-2007, 12:00 PM
DS it's so awsome

Regex
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Alright, it's "other" features you've mentioned. How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly.The music player is pretty straightforward. Worthless, but straightforward. The issue I have with the movies is the proprietary format. I do not want to buy a movie that I have to watch in a tiny handheld screen. And it's not like you even pay significantly less for PSP movies. That's what makes the movie "feature" mediocre.

And how exactly is the gameplay suffering? Because the PSP can act as a camera does that somehow affect how the games are? I doubt that.Have you ever tried to play a game on a PDA? You ever notice how it doesn't feel right, since the system wasn't designed for gaming? That's the same issue the PSP has. Despite how they try to market it, and what all the fanboys say, the PSP really isn't designed for gaming. It's designed to have lots of unrelated features, to distract you from the poor gaming experience.

You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them.It's the only excuse I can come up with. I mean, I'm giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, even though I personally believe differently. If you ask me, the games would still suck, even if Sony didn't add all this worthless fluff. They probably still wouldn't focus on the gameplay experience of the system, and the games still wouldn't have much room for innovation.

I just have to reiterate once again, with bold text for emphasis.
Game systems are for gamers. Gameplay experience is more important than fluff.
If you want other things, get a PocketPC. They do all these things far better than a PSP does.

Think about the gameboy's first games. It had the MOST simple games you could ever think of.Yet so many people bought one just for Tetris. There's something to be said for Nintendo's ability to keep things simple for the end user.

What brought the gameboy up both in Japan and everywhere else was POKEMON. Without Pokemon, the gameboy wouldn't even be doing as good as they are now. It takes one really good game to bring a system up there. And that's basically a proven fact. One good game gets people to buy the system, and then that leads to more good games and more people buying the system.I don't believe you understand economics or the gaming industry as well as you think you do. Pokemon added to the Game Boy's already strong popularity, yes. But your "proven facts" aside, Pokemon didn't "make" the system. Hell, it didn't even "save" the system. It only boosted it.

The idea that it only takes one game to make a system is flawed thinking, commonly shown by Sony and Sony fanboys. That's the same attitude that makes people think the PS3 will do so much better, just because of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy.

Buruku
06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
How exactly is the music player mediocre, or the ability to play movies? I can't really see how it plays them poorly. There aren't things like lag and such. No audio problems I've encountered.
I have no qualms with how the psp plays music or videos, I'm sure it plays them fine. However, with videos the limited battery life and small screen is what makes me call it mediocre. If those things don't bother you, then thats great, but it matters to me.

Now, if the psp could play music while you were playing a game I could see that being a very worthwhile feature, but it can't. If you want me to rate the psp solely for its mp3 playing abilities then how can I give it more then mediocre? You have things like storage and interface to consider, the psp also makes for a bulky mp3 player. Hopefully the new psp thats coming out will allow you to listen to music as your playing games, imo a lot of the things I mentioned wouldn't matter nearly as much.

But just as a general rule, when something is designed with a specific function in mind, the quality is pretty much always better as apposed to something trying to do a whole bunch of different things. I'm definitely not saying it will always be this way, but as far as getting it right I think Microsoft is the closest.

You can't blame a crappy game on the system. Blame the people who made the game. So just because the PSP can do all this stuff don't say that the gameplay is suffering because of them.
Yes, thats true. ( Looking back on my post, I meant games not gameplay) I wasn't blaming the psp's abilities for its games, but the fact that the psp is not exclusevily a game player could have been responsible for its lack of support from developers. When considering the psp capabilites there really is no reason to not have a ton of awesome games, yet the first few years were garbage. I believe that if the psp was built more solid, and the focus was more on the games rather then its other features it could have gotten more developers trying to make good games and would have been great. (some would call me an extreme optimist. )

Ugh I'm starting to defend/argue things I really don't care about, I'm not even having fun anymore because its the same thing over and over. @_@

chappie1989
06-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Nintendo DS for me. I just like playing with 2 screens, Using 2 screens on my laptop too :P.

MistaCloudStrife
06-09-2007, 06:02 AM
The music player is pretty straightforward. Worthless, but straightforward. The issue I have with the movies is the proprietary format. I do not want to buy a movie that I have to watch in a tiny handheld screen. And it's not like you even pay significantly less for PSP movies. That's what makes the movie "feature" mediocre.

Using a UMD to play movies isn't your only option. You can upload whatever video formats you might have on your PC to play on your PSP as well. And as for music, if you just want to listen to music then so be it. Worthless would just be like saying an mp3 player is worthless, because that's basically what a PSP could be for somebody.

Have you ever tried to play a game on a PDA? You ever notice how it doesn't feel right, since the system wasn't designed for gaming? That's the same issue the PSP has. Despite how they try to market it, and what all the fanboys say, the PSP really isn't designed for gaming. It's designed to have lots of unrelated features, to distract you from the poor gaming experience.

And that would be an opinion. I wouldn't say that all these other features distract me from playing games because... well, that's all I do on my PSP. The only time I've watched a movie or played music on my PSP was when I first got it to see how it all works. After that I've only played games on it. Emulator and UMD. And I love playing the first ToD on it. It's getting me pumped for the second ToD. Tales of Destiny 2 never made it here(not the real one anyway)

It's the only excuse I can come up with. I mean, I'm giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, even though I personally believe differently. If you ask me, the games would still suck, even if Sony didn't add all this worthless fluff. They probably still wouldn't focus on the gameplay experience of the system, and the games still wouldn't have much room for innovation.

Innovation? I guess Nintendo fans are going crazy of "innovation" now since the DS and Wii came out. Everyone can just forget the Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy color, Cameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, and Gameboy Micro that didn't leave much room for "innovation" for their games since THEY didn't have dual screen or Wiimotes.

I just have to reiterate once again, with bold text for emphasis.
Game systems are for gamers. Gameplay experience is more important than fluff.
If you want other things, get a PocketPC. They do all these things far better than a PSP does.

Ah yes... so extras like internet access and uploading pictures makes the system no longer a gaming system correct? Oh wait, the Wii has those features as well. I guess that extra "fluff" doesn't make the Wii a gaming system anymore huh?

Yet so many people bought one just for Tetris. There's something to be said for Nintendo's ability to keep things simple for the end user.

And it sold because it was the only thing available. And the system was basically first of it's kind.

I don't believe you understand economics or the gaming industry as well as you think you do. Pokemon added to the Game Boy's already strong popularity, yes. But your "proven facts" aside, Pokemon didn't "make" the system. Hell, it didn't even "save" the system. It only boosted it.

I understand that it takes a bit more than that, but it's basically true. Tetris, Mario, Sonic are all examples of this. And of course Crash and FFVII for the PS.

The idea that it only takes one game to make a system is flawed thinking, commonly shown by Sony and Sony fanboys. That's the same attitude that makes people think the PS3 will do so much better, just because of Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy.
So many people have gotten the Wii solely for the new Zelda game. IMO Launch titles would go under the "one game will do it" catagory. And don't tell me that launch titles won't make or break a system.

I have no qualms with how the psp plays music or videos, I'm sure it plays them fine. However, with videos the limited battery life and small screen is what makes me call it mediocre. If those things don't bother you, then thats great, but it matters to me.

Now, if the psp could play music while you were playing a game I could see that being a very worthwhile feature, but it can't. If you want me to rate the psp solely for its mp3 playing abilities then how can I give it more then mediocre? You have things like storage and interface to consider, the psp also makes for a bulky mp3 player. Hopefully the new psp thats coming out will allow you to listen to music as your playing games, imo a lot of the things I mentioned wouldn't matter nearly as much.

But just as a general rule, when something is designed with a specific function in mind, the quality is pretty much always better as apposed to something trying to do a whole bunch of different things. I'm definitely not saying it will always be this way, but as far as getting it right I think Microsoft is the closest.

Homebrew will allow for simultaneous music and game play. Certain games will let you do it as well, but I'm not sure which games have that ability available.

Yes, thats true. ( Looking back on my post, I meant games not gameplay) I wasn't blaming the psp's abilities for its games, but the fact that the psp is not exclusevily a game player could have been responsible for its lack of support from developers. When considering the psp capabilites there really is no reason to not have a ton of awesome games, yet the first few years were garbage. I believe that if the psp was built more solid, and the focus was more on the games rather then its other features it could have gotten more developers trying to make good games and would have been great. (some would call me an extreme optimist. )

Ugh I'm starting to defend/argue things I really don't care about, I'm not even having fun anymore because its the same thing over and over. @_@

I suggest playing Loco Roco, MGS PO, PQ, IQ, Intial D(If you like racing games), and Lumines1/2. Those just being the non-remade ones I've played and didn't regret buying my PSP for.

The rest would be Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia, Breath of Fire III, and such...

And the ones I'm waiting for now would just be Final Fantasy Dissidia, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War, Dracula X, Tales of Destiny 2, etc... (Also keep in mind I have my eyes on RPGs more than anything else, don't know about other genres much)

I find it weird how people can look past all these pretty good games and say the PSP has no good games.

And really... Don't take me too seriously when i'm like this. Regex should know from experience that I just like to argue with people.

Wolfwood
06-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Are the PSP and DS even rivals?
When ya think about it, they're both very different styles and appeal to completely different tastes. yeah they're both handhelds, but they're so different you could probably include mobile phone games in this choice aswell.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

-Batman-
06-09-2007, 06:58 AM
And of course Crash and FFVII for the PS.

Don't forget FF8, which sold a lot of coppies because FF7 was soooo uber leet haxor popular. And it wasn't just Crash and FF7. Games like Tomb Raider, Spyro, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Legacy of Kain boosted sales.
Buuut most of those games aren't Sony Exclusives anymore.

And question, what PSP games can I buy that aren't ported RPG'S, Final Fantasy, Crappy FP titles that want to be FPS but aren't so they only get to be FP's, or crappy anime tie in's?
I don't want to have an epic adventure on my handheld. I have a computer for that.
The only worthwhile games i've played on the PSP had the words Metal and Gear in the title. Surprise surprise.

So many people have gotten the Wii solely for the new Zelda game. IMO Launch titles would go under the "one game will do it" catagory. And don't tell me that launch titles won't make or break a system.

And how many people purchased an Xbox 360 for Oblivion? For that matter, how many people Purchased a PS3 for the already forgotten Resistance:Fall of Man.
Of course launch titles make or break a system. As long as you have one you're fine.

Ah yes... so extras like internet access and uploading pictures makes the system no longer a gaming system correct? Oh wait, the Wii has those features as well. I guess that extra "fluff" doesn't make the Wii a gaming system anymore huh?

You're nitpicking nitpicking.
Larger consoles can have all of those extra features, it's a home entertainment system. Handhelds are ment to be a distraction.
BTW, iPods are better music players, and portable DVD players > UMD video. At least I can watch the DVD on my TV when I get home.
Seriously, do people like...Sit in there room, holding there PSP to their faces while watching FF7 Advent Children on a Tiny Screen, when they could just as easily buy the DVD for a few dollars less and watch it on a TELEVISION!

black26
06-09-2007, 07:14 AM
For me psp is the best! than DS
psp graphic is better than Ds

MistaCloudStrife
06-09-2007, 03:59 PM
And question, what PSP games can I buy that aren't ported RPG'S, Final Fantasy, Crappy FP titles that want to be FPS but aren't so they only get to be FP's, or crappy anime tie in's?
I don't want to have an epic adventure on my handheld. I have a computer for that.
The only worthwhile games i've played on the PSP had the words Metal and Gear in the title. Surprise surprise.

Loco Roco, Lumines, Lumines 2, Practical Quotient, Gitaroo Man, Monster Hunter Freedom, Harvest Moon Innocent Life, and Coded Arms all deserve a try. Some of them I havent even played because I've been a bit too busy for games, but you might want to check them out.

And as for games coming out, there's still PQ2(07), Silent Hill(07), Gekido(TBA), DMC(TBA), God of War CoO(07), Alone in the Dark(TBA), Syphon Filter LS(07), and more...

Of course I'm looking most forward to some of the remakes such as Parappa the Rapper, Final Fantasy, Tales of Destiny 2, Final Fnatasy Tactics, Disgaea, and Dracula X(Which is going to have SOTN playable in it).

And I guess for other, things like Elder Scrolls Oblivion(07) and GT4(TBA) would be fun on a handheld.

You're nitpicking nitpicking.
Larger consoles can have all of those extra features, it's a home entertainment system. Handhelds are ment to be a distraction.
BTW, iPods are better music players, and portable DVD players > UMD video. At least I can watch the DVD on my TV when I get home.
Seriously, do people like...Sit in there room, holding there PSP to their faces while watching FF7 Advent Children on a Tiny Screen, when they could just as easily buy the DVD for a few dollars less and watch it on a TELEVISION!

Uh about iPODs... they can also play games, upload video AND pictures. Sound a little similar to something you?

And about portable DVD players. MOST of them you have to plug them in, in a car... And those that can play without it being plugged in usually won't even last as long as a PSP could. And of course Portable DVD players don't have easy to find extra plug ins that you can buy at the Video game store for less than 20 bucks to make your PSP last 6 or 7 hours longer. And if you really wanted to watch your PSP movies on your TV there's always that add on that allows for it. And UMD movie prices drop all the time. My gamestop has been selling new ones for 5 bucks each. Used ones for about the same price, but you get the discount with your more card. (Oh and I saw about 10-15 original Pheonix Wright games going for 10, maybe 20$ each)

And I forgot where I was, so feel free to remind we what points I missed.

International 4-8818
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
PSP. I have both, and i barly play the DS because it just does not have that great of games, and i am more of a graphics kinda guy.

Opinionated
06-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Uh about iPODs... they can also play games, upload video AND pictures. Sound a little similar to something you?Except that you can play the music and videos you've bought from iTunes on your computer as well as your iPod, something to the best of my knoweldge, you can't do with UMD movies. Also to the best of my knowledge, there's no way to play something in the iTunes file format outside of iTunes.
i barly play the DS because it just does not have that great of gamesI could post a list of great DS games, but I'll save myself time and just tell you to go to a game review site and browse a sorting of the best DS games.
And about portable DVD players. MOST of them you have to plug them in, in a car... And those that can play without it being plugged in usually won't even last as long as a PSP could. And of course Portable DVD players don't have easy to find extra plug ins that you can buy at the Video game store for less than 20 bucks to make your PSP last 6 or 7 hours longer.Of course it's not like portable DVD players come with adapters for house and car use, as well as having a larger screen and run for much less. A 10.2 inch portable DVD player at Wal-Mart for $150 I have seen with mine own eyes. It's also not like DVDs and DVD players are a staple of the modern home entertainment center and most people who'd buy a PSP have a large DVD collection. Buying all my movies again so I can play them on my PSP, oddly, is not appealing. It's occured to me that much of this debate is the ancient gamer tradition of bashing what you don't have, because you're an intelligent person who obviously didn't buy the other because of it's glaring inferiorities.

MistaCloudStrife
06-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Except that you can play the music and videos you've bought from iTunes on your computer as well as your iPod, something to the best of my knoweldge, you can't do with UMD movies. Also to the best of my knowledge, there's no way to play something in the iTunes file format outside of iTunes.

Uh... You talk as if UMD is the only way to go to watch movies on a PSP. You can always get the PSP software and convert any of your DVDs to movie files to upload onto your PSP. Also the PSP movie format doesn't create a video/audio lagg that the itunes video format seems to do. You know, since I own a 60gig iPOD video myself, I should know that. And you CAN convert itunes files into mp3, and some video has been done. Of course who would want to convert a video that has it's video and audio off by a couple milliseconds.

Of course it's not like portable DVD players come with adapters for house and car use, as well as having a larger screen and run for much less. A 10.2 inch portable DVD player at Wal-Mart for $150 I have seen with mine own eyes. It's also not like DVDs and DVD players are a staple of the modern home entertainment center and most people who'd buy a PSP have a large DVD collection. Buying all my movies again so I can play them on my PSP, oddly, is not appealing.
Look above. Convert DVD. Upload. Simple. No brainer. Monkeys could do it.

It's occured to me that much of this debate is the ancient gamer tradition of bashing what you don't have, because you're an intelligent person who obviously didn't buy the other because of it's glaring inferiorities.
[/QUOTE]I own a DS, PSP and iPOD. I could go onto every single handheld and/or portable electronic I've owned ever in my life but I'll just keep it at this. Don't assume. =)

-Batman-
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
And I guess for other, things like Elder Scrolls Oblivion(07) and GT4(TBA) would be fun on a handheld.

No, they wouldn't. Both games are too massive to be any good on a handheld. Look at Vice City stories and Liberty City stories for reference. They were okay, but the control scheme was awkward and the games were no where near as fun as the console versions.

Uh about iPODs... they can also play games, upload video AND pictures. Sound a little similar to something you?

Right, maybe by you that's what they're used for. Where I am, they're used for MUSIC.
My iPod has one game. Brick.
As for Photo's, Who cares. Flash drives exist for Photo Uploading, and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

Look above. Convert DVD. Upload. Simple. No brainer. Monkeys could do it.

No. They couldn't.

(Oh and I saw about 10-15 original Pheonix Wright games going for 10, maybe 20$ each)

Umm...Okay? That means...What exactly?

Masali
06-09-2007, 09:01 PM
June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's third- biggest maker of video-game players, widened its lead in Japan last month after its Wii consoles and DS portable players outsold products from Sony Corp., a research firm said.

Nintendo sold 251,794 of its newest game machines in May, outselling Sony's PlayStation 3 consoles five to one, Tokyo- based research firm Enterbrain Inc. said today in a faxed statement. The PS3 trailed the Wii by four to one in April.

The PS3, equipped with the industry's most powerful gaming chip, is falling further behind the cheaper Wii, undermining Sony's ability to recoup investments into the machine. Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo has forecast sales of the new consoles, where gamers swing motion-sensor controllers to play games such as bowling and tennis, will triple this fiscal year.

Microsoft Corp.'s game-player sales trailed Sony's in Japan last month, with the U.S. company selling 11,082 of its Xbox 360 machines, the Enterbrain report said.

Nintendo's handheld DS player outsold Sony's PlayStation Portable five to one in May, Enterbrain said. The company sold 620,670 of the touch-screen players, compared with 123,673 PSPs.

Oh, and don't bother saying "Sales mean nothing". I would buy that if the two were brand new systems and what the systems were all about can't be known since no one's played them. But neither of them are old systems, most people know what each has to offer, and yet Mr. DS is still outselling Mr. PSP 5 to 1. (as is Mr. Wii and Mr. Ps3)

So apparently the DS is more popular. All these people must be horribly misinformed, according to you, if they're ALL buying DSes. Since it, afterall, has no good games.

Umm...Okay? That means...What exactly?

Quality DS games for about $20 less than a UMD!

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Here's the facts: PSP has sold 25 Million worldwide.
DS has sold 40.

PSP is in no way doing badly. It has a number of A titles.

DS also is doing well, and has a number of A titles.

PSP can do things other then play games, but has battery issues.

DS has a unique control system that makes some types of gaming easy, and some very hard. It also has backwards compatability with other GB systems.

This whole thread has just sort of dissolved into fan-squabbles (as always in these type of threads). If you like the sort of games Nintendo pushes, get a DS. If you don't, get a PSP.

Ωmega
06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
DS. To me, the PSP is just another handheld. The DS allows me to have some interactive fun, and if I get tired of that, I have the option of popping in an old gameboy game and play that instead.
Yes, the PSP has higher graphic games, yes you can play movies on them, yes you can play music on them, but is it really needed? I havent PERSONALLY played a PSP, but my bf [whom I am living with, so I just watch him play] does, as does my younger brother, so I have a little experience with it.
Now, Im the kinda girl where I wanna play AND listen to music, which I dont think can be achieved with the PSP. Besides, I have a 30 gig mp3 player for that.
But I might wanna watch movies on it! However, I dont wanna have to pay money to buy a movie AGAIN in PSP format. For that, Id just use my laptop.

Again, I own a good amount of DS games, and Ive only been disappointed with the Little Mermaid game, but my bf has about 10 games for his PSP and he hasnt touched them in a while. When we go browsing for games, his reaction 95% of the time is 'eh'. Whereas I am constantly picking up games for the DS.

MistaCloudStrife
06-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, and don't bother saying "Sales mean nothing". I would buy that if the two were brand new systems and what the systems were all about can't be known since no one's played them. But neither of them are old systems, most people know what each has to offer, and yet Mr. DS is still outselling Mr. PSP 5 to 1. (as is Mr. Wii and Mr. Ps3)

So apparently the DS is more popular. All these people must be horribly misinformed, according to you, if they're ALL buying DSes. Since it, afterall, has no good games.

These are sales from where? Japan. Wait for FFT, Dissidia, FFI&2, and Crisis Core and Japan's PSP sales will go way up. I bet you. If a horde of Japanese people would buy an Xbox 360 solely for Blue Dragon and Gundam they aren't going to think twice about a Final Fantasy VII prequel under a Japanese made system.

As for the US, its about 2.6 to 1.(PSP DS sales) And this was a little before the PSP's new price drop. I guess it's like this, since you know, more people here play GTA than in Japan.

*Kayako*
06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
hm... i like.... no... forget both... go with a cell phone... its better! Lol

zyronet
06-10-2007, 09:01 AM
PSP!
because that's what i got.. I don't have any DS..
ehehe..

Regex
06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Using a UMD to play movies isn't your only option. You can upload whatever video formats you might have on your PC to play on your PSP as well. And as for music, if you just want to listen to music then so be it. Worthless would just be like saying an mp3 player is worthless, because that's basically what a PSP could be for somebody.I can get into my issues with the iPod and its competitors, but that's a discussion for another day and another forum. Suffice to say, the iPod does most things well, but where it falls short, it's severe, and the lack of proper competition doesn't help things.

And that would be an opinion. I wouldn't say that all these other features distract me from playing games because... well, that's all I do on my PSP. The only time I've watched a movie or played music on my PSP was when I first got it to see how it all works. After that I've only played games on it. Emulator and UMD. And I love playing the first ToD on it. It's getting me pumped for the second ToD. Tales of Destiny 2 never made it here(not the real one anyway)So if these new features don't distract you from the poor gaming experience, why do you keep using these features to argue why the PSP is better than the DS? Remember, the games make the system, and the system capabilities define what the games can do. The DS lends itself to a more interesting and fun gaming experience, while the PSP lends itself to the same gaming experience we've had before, and nothing more.

Innovation? I guess Nintendo fans are going crazy of "innovation" now since the DS and Wii came out. Everyone can just forget the Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy color, Cameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, and Gameboy Micro that didn't leave much room for "innovation" for their games since THEY didn't have dual screen or Wiimotes.The Gameboy Advance provided for a new gaming experience that was not available before. A better system to do more things. When that's all that's available, it's certainly very good. The PSP, far as gaming is concerned, is doing that same thing, but the DS is doing something new and interesting. When you have an innovative choice along with the "bigger version of the same thing", I think gamers have shown that the majority prefers innovation.
If you're in the minority, that's fine. Your opinion isn't wrong, but don't argue as if your opinion reflects that of everyone else. The majority of people have already spoken, and you are the odd man out.

As for the Gameboy Micro, there's a good reason I never got one. The smaller size wasn't worth it to me.

Ah yes... so extras like internet access and uploading pictures makes the system no longer a gaming system correct? Oh wait, the Wii has those features as well. I guess that extra "fluff" doesn't make the Wii a gaming system anymore huh?I have my own disappointments about the Wii, but they are small in my opinion. I know a lot of people care more about HD capabilities than I do.
But overall, they have made for a great gaming experience that's already overshadowed any of the fun of the PS3.

Again, that's a discussion for another day. The point I mean to make here is that Nintendo didn't skimp on the features that can be used to enhance gameplay. They added the other features in there on top of the already good system.

And it sold because it was the only thing available. And the system was basically first of it's kind.Agree, that was my point. The system itself was an innovation, and new.

I understand that it takes a bit more than that, but it's basically true. Tetris, Mario, Sonic are all examples of this. And of course Crash and FFVII for the PS.I can't say I agree with any of those for Nintendo or Sega systems. But yes, the PSX would never have made it without Final Fantasy VII. Like I said, the flawed reasoning exhibited usually by Sony fans.

So many people have gotten the Wii solely for the new Zelda game. IMO Launch titles would go under the "one game will do it" catagory. And don't tell me that launch titles won't make or break a system.They don't. See the PS2 and the XBox.

Petrol Gas
06-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I own a DS and I really enjoy the games that I have for it, but I owned a PSP once for about two months and it never was any fun to play...except for Lumines.

Ωmega
06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
As for the US, its about 2.6 to 1.(PSP DS sales) And this was a little before the PSP's new price drop.
Just thought Id point out that even though that may be true, overall DS still wins.
Oh, and after buying a PSP, I know 5 people who have sold them on ebay. Why? They dont play them. Theres no games the want for them.

And I have to disagree that the Wii was bought for JUST Zelda. Mario Party, Paper Mario and a few other titles have sold in high quanity too. The Wii has titles, the PS3 really doesnt. Sure, its got Resistance, but thats about it really. Fear wouldve been another great title, but I dont think thats even been released yet [do to the backwards programming on the PS3]

Tsuneki
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
DS. Only because I own one and I like the games. And I don't really like the PSP.

Sagat
06-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I am buying a DS next week. Didn't come to this decision easily, it took me 2 weeks of researching. PSP has a few games I like on it, DS has some too, but overall I chose the DS. Same reasons people listed here really, and even I myself know people who had a PSP and sold it to get a DS.

I am not a Nintendo or a Sony fan boy ... I go for whatever looks and is better. I guess the Sony fanboys can't accept that Sony has screwed itself and its customers over and is losing ground. Oh well ... One more week till I get my DS.

KeokoXxXInuzuka
06-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Psp all the way oO; don't know why just think thats the best one...

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Just thought Id point out that even though that may be true, overall DS still wins.
Oh, and after buying a PSP, I know 5 people who have sold them on ebay. Why? They dont play them. Theres no games the want for them.

PSP operates on a different demographic. PSP doesn't even have any children-oriented A titles, unlike the DS, who's best selling game is Nintendogs (13 million... good god, that's 1 out of every 3 people who own the thing, for christsakes). Children are the big demographic for handhelds. So sales are a bad standard to prove worth, even more so then usual.

If you just want to go by numbers, the PSP has sold 4 million more units then the Gamecube in 3 years less time. Granted, that's oranges to apples, but my point is there are people who own the thing because it does things they want it to do. Compare these sales to say, Wonder Swan Color, NeoGeo Pocket, or GameGear.

Ωmega
06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
PSP operates on a different demographic. PSP doesn't even have any children-oriented A titles, unlike the DS, who's best selling game is Nintendogs (13 million... good god, that's 1 out of every 3 people who own the thing, for christsakes). Children are the big demographic for handhelds. So sales are a bad standard to prove worth, even more so then usual.

o_O
PSP has several kids games:
Open Season, Over the Hedge, Scooby Doo, Sponge Bob, Cars, Snoopy...theres a few. I mean, youd think Spongebob alone would attract kids, since they seem to obsess over him [all the kids Ive seen anyway]. But DS does have a greater appeal to children, since its a bit more user-friendly for kids. Not to mention that 95% of their games are more children/everyone orriented [rated E], whereas PSP has about 20 kids titles...most, if not all, based on tv/movies. [really bad movies imho]

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-10-2007, 11:18 PM
o_O
PSP has several kids games:
Open Season, Over the Hedge, Scooby Doo, Sponge Bob, Cars, Snoopy...theres a few. I mean, youd think Spongebob alone would attract kids, since they seem to obsess over him [all the kids Ive seen anyway]. But DS does have a greater appeal to children, since its a bit more user-friendly for kids. Not to mention that 95% of their games are more children/everyone orriented [rated E], whereas PSP has about 20 kids titles...most, if not all, based on tv/movies. [really bad movies imho]

I said "A" games, meaning good sellers/good games. Not just the "here's a licence, make a game" third party titles.

Gizoku
06-10-2007, 11:56 PM
xD The PSP..what to say. Its good. But like MomijiTMO said the PSP Has a much shorter battery life, and not as great of games if you're not into shooting...unless I'm not looking hard enough O_O
I defiantly go for the DS. Though the Graphics may be less than the PSP it still wins my vote.

Wolfwood
06-11-2007, 02:40 AM
xD The PSP..what to say. Its good. But like MomijiTMO said the PSP Has a much shorter battery life, and not as great of games if you're not into shooting...unless I'm not looking hard enough O_O
I defiantly go for the DS. Though the Graphics may be less than the PSP it still wins my vote.
they are trying a bit to hard for portible shooters, and it does seem to be lacking top RPG's which is strange for sony. luckily games like FF7: crisis core, Tales of the World, a bunch of FF games, an elder scrolls game and many more rpg's to fill the hole that was missing there ^^

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Regex
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
PSP operates on a different demographic. PSP doesn't even have any children-oriented A titles, unlike the DS, who's best selling game is Nintendogs (13 million... good god, that's 1 out of every 3 people who own the thing, for christsakes). Children are the big demographic for handhelds. So sales are a bad standard to prove worth, even more so then usual. That's the most ridiculous statement made in this argument, and there's been strong fanboyism on both sides.
PSP operates on a different demographic? If you mean they are trying to market to the African-American population, then sure, that's true. Just look at the commercials. But as for DS games being "children-oriented" I would wholeheartedly disagree. For both systems, the titles that sell the best are the ones that are most fun to play for the general population. You notice, in the case of all of Nintendo's systems, their best selling games have been ones that are not only acceptable for children to play, but that are also fun for adults and older teenagers. The demographic is people, not children. So why do these games do so well?
Simplicity, most often. If the control scheme is easy to understand, people will be more likely to enjoy it. If the game is too complicated to grasp, nobody will. Nintendo has given their customers an added feature for simple control. PSP has not.

If you just want to go by numbers, the PSP has sold 4 million more units then the Gamecube in 3 years less time. Granted, that's oranges to apples, but my point is there are people who own the thing because it does things they want it to do. Compare these sales to say, Wonder Swan Color, NeoGeo Pocket, or GameGear.Irrelevant completely. That comparison is like saying that The Ring was a good movie because it was more popular than Leprechaun 4: In Space (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116861/). There were things that did worse than PSP. It doesn't really matter.

Sagat
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I wanted to add something else. I don't know about the rest of you, but everytime someone says to me "the PSP has better graphics" it pushes me further towards the DS (even though I already decided to get one) because it tells me just how vapid and shallow their minds are

If that's what matters to you, why play games? Look at this magical thing called real life, what with its crazy dimensions and perfect HD resolution

-Batman-
06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
If that's what matters to you, why play games? Look at this magical thing called real life, what with its crazy dimensions and perfect HD resolution

BUT TH ESONY PSP HAZ BETER GRAFIX DEN HD IT HAZ H4D REZOLOTION, IT LUKS BETER THEN REEL LIFE LOLOLOLOLOL.

But yet, that "Better graphics" Argument is stale. Good graphics can be a good thing, but they're meaningless if the game that goes with it plays like crap.

I_aikou_chrono=P
06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
i think i would just buy both but i guess it depends on what you want the psp has more graphics but sometimes i dont want a game system that plays movies and downloads stuff and maby playing the DS can be more fun and depending on the game less compicated

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
That's the most ridiculous statement made in this argument, and there's been strong fanboyism on both sides.
PSP operates on a different demographic? If you mean they are trying to market to the African-American population, then sure, that's true. Just look at the commercials. But as for DS games being "children-oriented" I would wholeheartedly disagree. For both systems, the titles that sell the best are the ones that are most fun to play for the general population. You notice, in the case of all of Nintendo's systems, their best selling games have been ones that are not only acceptable for children to play, but that are also fun for adults and older teenagers. The demographic is people, not children. So why do these games do so well?
Simplicity, most often. If the control scheme is easy to understand, people will be more likely to enjoy it. If the game is too complicated to grasp, nobody will. Nintendo has given their customers an added feature for simple control. PSP has not.
My point, which you apparently missed wasn't "ZOMG DS MAKES KIDS GAMEZ SO FAILZ" but that using sales as some sort of metric to determine which is "better" is especially flawed, in light of the fact they clearly aim their games at different markets. It's like comparing the box office take of Harry Potter and A Clockwork Orange and ruling that Harry Potter is obviously better. It isn't a valid point.

I mean, the only A game I can think of on the PSP that might be popular among the pre-teen crowd is Katamari Damacy. The PSP doesn't make any attempt (for better or worse) to woo that market and it is a huge market for handhelds. And because one woos a market the other does not, they aren’t easily comparable by sales. For example, by sales alone the PS was easily better then the N64, however that was partially because the PS made a conscious effort to appeal to older teens and adults while N64 didn’t. The sales reflect this. And I'm not just talking about commercials. Everything is marketing.

Irrelevant completely. That comparison is like saying that The Ring was a good movie because it was more popular than Leprechaun 4: In Space (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116861/). There were things that did worse than PSP. It doesn't really matter.

I didn't say it was a relevant point. In fact, I said the opposite. I was saying that if raw numbers magically became a valid argument, the PSP would clearly be better then the Gamecube. However, we don't live in a universe where sales have anything to do with something's worth in anything but a commercial context.

Coincidentally, I'm not even arguing for the PSP, I'm arguing for the middle. PSP vs. DS really comes down to a matter of taste. The PSP does well in it's corner, and the DS does well in it's corner. Neither one is failing. Both are succeeding.

Gizoku
06-13-2007, 11:39 PM
they are trying a bit to hard for portible shooters, and it does seem to be lacking top RPG's which is strange for sony. luckily games like FF7: crisis core, Tales of the World, a bunch of FF games, an elder scrolls game and many more rpg's to fill the hole that was missing there ^^

=[[Wolfwood]]=\
True. :3 You just bumped up my PSP rating to a positive number ^^
I heard they were going to make a separate Kingdom Hearts Game for it.
Meh. But I'll be looking forward to those games.

Yuuki Kurosu
06-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Hmm, I have a DS Lite, I have played the PSP....They are both very good game systems. The PSP seems the be a bit more money, but I have to say I can't decide, a number of good games for both. Maybe the DS by a tiny bit. I can't really explain why in a simple way..I apoligize.

Dragon King
06-14-2007, 06:19 AM
ds kill psp

[[~Anemone~]]
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a ds and my cousin has a psp but he likes to play mine more than his, I Love my Ds so I pefer that.

Grim Scythe
06-17-2007, 11:50 PM
ok a lil off topic but i plan to get a ds lite here soon but i wont have alot of extra cash right away so any suggestions for a cheap but good game on ds? maybe a brain age?

Buruku
06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
ok a lil off topic but i plan to get a ds lite here soon but i wont have alot of extra cash right away so any suggestions for a cheap but good game on ds? maybe a brain age?
Don't get brain age, you'll only have fun doing math for so long. Try finding castlevania (either of them) also any of the popular platformers that came out are good, but I'm not sure how many of them dropped in price, you can usually find yoshi's story for cheap. Then theres games like touch detectives, Phoenix Wright, Dusk Hotel, Trama Center, all of them are fun.

Mystic Gohan
06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
psp v.s ds :duel:

graphic = psp
more new games = ds
value = psp
lower price = ds (event tough psp is begining to put down there price)

psp offer music, games, wallpaper, video, internet ...... :laugh:

ds offer touchable screen, lot more anime games, next gen stuff ........ :eek:

conclusion: if you don't have an ipod and dvd pick a psp ......;)

choose the best 4 ya . :slurp:

Zeta_Stryker
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I also agree with Mystic Gohan. Which's why I bought the D.S as well.

Zhafhiey
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
The reasons why I got the DS:

Touchable Screen
Mic
Dual Screen
Able to modify screen brightness
Fun games!
Pictochat
Able to play GBA games
Game cards are small
Sleek design (Talking about DS Lite)So far, even though the PSP has nicer graphics and stuffs like that, I DON'T like it. No offence though. I don't know why, I just don't. Good graphics don't amaze me. It's the playability and fun-ness of the thing that turns me on! :laugh:

Tempest Wind
06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Basically if your a bigger gamer, get DS. If not, and you do other stuff more(movies/music), get PSP

Ranshiin
06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
The reasons why I got the DS:

Touchable Screen
Mic
Dual Screen
Able to modify screen brightness
Fun games!
Pictochat
Able to play GBA games
Game cards are small
Sleek design (Talking about DS Lite)So far, even though the PSP has nicer graphics and stuffs like that, I DON'T like it. No offence though. I don't know why, I just don't. Good graphics don't amaze me. It's the playability and fun-ness of the thing that turns me on! :laugh:You can modify the screen brightness on the PSP. Also the newest firmware update lets you connect some cameras to it to take photos - something the DS can't do.

also the DS and PSP have similar size, when the DS is folded up.

Just making a point.

Otaku Ichise
06-22-2007, 11:01 AM
DS for the win, you buy a flash card and you can play super robot wars DS without importing.

Riku3008
06-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Well it depends on what you use it for, PSP is better if you use it more for the web, music, and videos, stuf like that, and DS is more for games.

DS FTW I say.

Aesteri
06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a PSP....its not all that great. Get a DS.

Ichiro Matsuchani
06-23-2007, 02:38 AM
I hear about all these features that the PSP has, and I can't help but asking the question....Why? Why do you need to store photos in this little thing? What's the big deal for storing videos on it? I have a video Ipod, and I have a few videos that I can play on it. It was cool at first, but now I find myself never using the feature. What's the point of having a feature that you're not going to use? Plus, I find that I can store a lot more music on my Ipod than on a PSP (Merely from what I hear, so I might be wrong.).

In my opinion, if the hand held is a let down on what it was made to do (Play video games), then it's a failure as a hand held.

Grim Scythe
06-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Don't get brain age, you'll only have fun doing math for so long. Try finding castlevania (either of them) also any of the popular platformers that came out are good, but I'm not sure how many of them dropped in price, you can usually find yoshi's story for cheap. Then theres games like touch detectives, Phoenix Wright, Dusk Hotel, Trama Center, all of them are fun.

thanks but i think id keep brain age until i get more money to get better game with more replay value, sounds like a good plan?

also i see advance wars dual strike go for friggin insane prices on ebay
cant see any psp games like that, 'cept maybe mercury(only really good game for psp i have played)

Zhafhiey
06-23-2007, 03:52 AM
You can modify the screen brightness on the PSP. Also the newest firmware update lets you connect some cameras to it to take photos - something the DS can't do.

also the DS and PSP have similar size, when the DS is folded up.

Just making a point.

Ahh! Good point!

But the PSP is loooooonger! :cool:

And, handhelds are to play games on, and I don't think taking pics are necessary. I have my digital cam and handphone if anything needs to be taken! :laugh:

And some good DS games for me would be Kirby: Canvas Curse and maybe some Mario/Yoshi stuff.

MistaCloudStrife
06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
=) Games that might(or might not) interest people.

Dissidia (http://61.195.57.11/members/special/dissidia_01/sample.swf)
Tactics: Lion War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzl51pUqqac)
Crisis Core (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxYsfRCAhg)
TOD2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxwLcD-93tc)
GoWCoO (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJrTVg-TG_M)
Silent Hill Origins (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2p3IWbuc0Sg)
Dracula X (http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-bfiB1_3KI)
Crush (http://youtube.com/watch?v=H-0R1Sm8kgA)
Wild ARMs (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DRk4CNMkuVs)
LocoRoco2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-Sz-wOOjww)
DragoneersAria (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ROS9hIZuLVw&mode=related&search=)

Zhafhiey
06-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Silent Hill Origins was creepy... O.o

Wolfwood
06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
=) Games that might(or might not) interest people.

Dissidia (http://61.195.57.11/members/special/dissidia_01/sample.swf)
Tactics: Lion War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzl51pUqqac)
Crisis Core (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xxYsfRCAhg)
TOD2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxwLcD-93tc)
GoWCoO (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJrTVg-TG_M)
Silent Hill Origins (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2p3IWbuc0Sg)
Dracula X (http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-bfiB1_3KI)
Crush (http://youtube.com/watch?v=H-0R1Sm8kgA)
Wild ARMs (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DRk4CNMkuVs)
LocoRoco2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=I-Sz-wOOjww)
DragoneersAria (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ROS9hIZuLVw&mode=related&search=)
and those would be why my wallet is sad ^^; lol
Dissidia, FF7 Crisis Core and Loco Roco 2 are top of my list for them.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Dragonshaz
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
umm..not sure,i love both of the consoles,it really depends really,psp has great graphics for most games but ds has more fun,so i say both.

Kawairashii hikari
06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
i have both of them...i prefer the PSP a little better than the DS, since you can get on the internet with it, upload music pics and videos, and also play games and movies you an also connect with people playing games like the DS

Slifer-san
06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Nintendo DS~ *hugs*

Sonica
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
DS by a long shot. The touch screen rules and the PSP was too breakable.

Mio
07-02-2007, 12:28 PM
DS for me. ^^

keoko
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
whatever psp lovers! i prefer the nintendo ds and pretty much every system made by the legendary nintendo. (even if attari started it all nins second best) i cause quite a rucuss on youtube arguing about this...ha ha...:sweatdrop

Ami~chan
07-10-2007, 02:06 PM
My brother Trevor has a PSP. My brother Zach has a DS. When we go on trips, I always end up snatching the DS simple because it's a much more enjoyable system. Sure, the PSP delivered a few alright games (in my book), but the DS has so much more. Even if you hate Mario, there's tons of other games you can play.

Plus, the touch screen gives a whole new dimension to playing games. It allows one to be more in control, and have a more direct contact with playing the game, if you get my meaning.

Long live the DS!!!

Sword
07-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Two words: Crisis Core. That along with the MGS comic make the PSP supreme. To be honest I'm just getting sick of this whole "innovation" thing that the gaming industry is obsessed with at the moment.

akibaR
07-15-2007, 02:20 AM
I hope this may helps:

Sony PlayStation PSP System – has an average expert rating of 89 (based on 8 expert sources).

http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/90

Nintendo DS Lite Gaming System – has an average expert rating of 86 (based on 12 expert sources).

http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/89

Based on the ratings, the PSP is to be preferred but a closer examination of the reviews might be a good alternative. Good luck.

Chris-san
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Why choose when you could have both? ^_^

Wolfwood
07-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Why choose when you could have both? ^_^
so true ^^ ya get the best of both worlds.
same goes for consoles. if ya have them all, you don't need to worry bout what console a game is on, cause you'll have what's needed to play it ^^

=[[Wolfwood]]=

my tears of sorrow
07-16-2007, 02:04 AM
I go for the DS

Gouki
07-18-2007, 04:02 AM
PSP all the way I used to have a DS but I just got bored of it
with the PSP you can listen to music and download games onto in from the computer.

RickywarZ
08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I have a DS Lite, i have been thinking about to buy a PSP but i don't know yet(need $ first :P).

Hardcore Gamer
08-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I say the PSP, but actually getting one depends upon the games you like to play. For instance, if you like to play puzzle games and simulations (like SimCity DS) then the DS would be the ideal pick. I own a PSP and got one for Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid. Those games are really good, but it's your personal tastes of games that should help make your decision. Oh, and the DS has Pokemon.

Shia_san
08-05-2007, 10:35 AM
i already have a ds, and i kind of want a PSP. >.< but im broke!..... oh well.:D

Hardcore Gamer
08-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Well the really good thing about it is that Sony dropped the price of the stand alone PSP in the US to 169.99. It's not much cheaper, but every little bit helps.:D

Bassoonista
08-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I much prefer the DS.

I can see people not wanting it because it hasn't had very many new games, though.

I just personally see absolutely nothing appealing about the PSP. I have an MP3 player, a computer to get on the internet, and the games on it don't appeal to me in the least bit.

Rem
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
To be honest I'm just getting sick of this whole "innovation" thing that the gaming industry is obsessed with at the moment.

No I'm sure you like innovation, these are just cheap gimmicks. And I'm 100&#37; with you on that one.

RENJI<333
08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Psp All The way Cause I Have One

Aiyana Kusanagi
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I own a psp, and i don't know even half of the games all of you are talking about... I've played the ds ver nfs-carbon and have the psp ver now. psp ver owns ds ver like crazy!!!

Gold_guardian
08-10-2007, 05:48 PM
The ds has 4 main series Dragon quest games coming, the next offical main Tales of game and of course Pokemon. It's the obvious choice for any rpg fan fan.

Sayoran
08-17-2007, 02:27 AM
There's hardly any decent games on the PSP and the DS' graphics aren't impressive enough to upgrade from GBA :/

Jose
08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Nintendo DS Lite Gaming System

Ichigo Momomyia
08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I say Nintendo DS.:rollt: :grinjump: :flaming:

ichigosama72
08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
The DS hands down.

raziel
08-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I have both i keep my psp with me i play a lot of maddan.

Elphaba
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
from what i hear the DS is better because you can tap the screen and you get use to it.