PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XII sucks?!

Dark-Sasuke
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Right, first off im a major final fantasy fan, played them all even XI, yet XII:banghead: seems to bore me, the storyline wasn't intresting and in my opinion the battle systems much worse and less strategic, am i the only one thinking this? play ff4, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 and you'll see what i mean

unspun
04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I am an avid ff fan. I think ffii was well thought out. They took it in a different direction than normal and I think it came out well. I love how they are always changing their battle systems, but they aren't complex so even children can play. The storyline was lacking in comparison with the rest of the series, but I think they made that up with gameplay and graphics.

MomijiTMO
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh I thought that the new battle system (which is going to be carried to FFXIII) was identical as the previous titles if you wanted it to be (ie turn of gambits). The story was not as good as the earlier titles but was still good albeit a bit "Star War-ish". It isn't my favourite title but I liked seeing them try something new.

Dark-Sasuke
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
The battle system in XIII is going to be like XII's yet alot action packed and fast paced, the strange thing was, the movement didn't really make a difference and the license's etc was almost depressin lol

-Batman-
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I think most Final Fantasy games suck. This one however, gave me a good LAUGH.

"I'M CAPTAIN BOSCH VON ROSENBURG FROM DALMASCA"

or whatever he says, has to be the lamest thing i've ever heard/seen in Final Fantasy.
And I thought NOTHING would EVER top that scene earlier in FFX when Tidus was trying to teach Yuna how to "Laugh"

unspun
04-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I think most Final Fantasy games suck. This one however, gave me a good LAUGH.

"I'M CAPTAIN BOSCH VON ROSENBURG FROM DALMASCA"

or whatever he says, has to be the lamest thing i've ever heard/seen in Final Fantasy.
And I thought NOTHING would EVER top that scene earlier in FFX when Tidus was trying to teach Yuna how to "Laugh"

I'm really not trying to start a quarrel, but if you thought they sucked, then why did you play them? Both of those scenes aren't exactly in the previews.. I'm just wondering. It doesn't make sense to put that much time and effort into something you don't like.

-Batman-
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm really not trying to start a quarrel, but if you thought they sucked, then why did you play them? Both of those scenes aren't exactly in the previews.. I'm just wondering. It doesn't make sense to put that much time and effort into something you don't like.

Simple, I play these games in hopes that they will improve.
And both of those parts aren't even far into the game. I never even finished half of FF12, and I forced myself through 10 because at FIRST it was good, but the plot twists near the end caused the entire games plot to suck even more.
Not to mention 10's final boss was designed for freakin' 3 year olds.
A boss that you can NEVER die on? Where's the freakin' challange?

Sagat
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Although I loved FF7, I felt the same way about angel Sephiroth there..

2x KotR
1x Omnislash

lolz, Sephiroth is dead, lucky to having used a Supernova

unspun
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
alright, :) as far as the boss thing goes, he's easy for kids, the real challenges are in the side quests,it sounds like you haven't played them. Oh man....there's this cave, that you have to find by either strategy guide or on your own... the enemies.. haha I love that game. I seriously emplore you to rethink playing it again if you haven't done those side quests, if you have, well sorry to hear you didn't like it

Khanxay
04-12-2007, 09:08 PM

2x KotR
1x Omnislash

Or just tape down the O button and have everyone use 4X cut.

I'm really not trying to start a quarrel, but if you thought they sucked, then why did you play them?

You play them so that you can tell every it sucked. It broadens your knowledge and you won't be left out when everyone is talking about it.

It doesn't make sense to put that much time and effort into something you don't like.Well you have to sometimes. Like as in..school and work.

Not to mention 10's final boss was designed for freakin' 3 year olds.
A boss that you can NEVER die on? Where's the freakin' challange?

Same as the one versus one versus Sephiroth. That battle is impossible to lose.

CrimsonMoon
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Yea, okay, one of the easiest final boss ever is in FFVIII. Ultimecia is very easy to defeat, compared to Omega Weapon and Ultima Weapon. Anyway, I don't personally like FFXII either. The storyline sucks compared to other FF series, although the graphic and battle system are good. Why's the story more focused to Balthier and Ashe rather than Vaan?

Kilawher Shazarade
04-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Meh. I only liked Final Fantasy 6! I think they ruined the game by having a "real time" battle system. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. Also, the storyline is just dull. Heck, I can't even remember it. I just quit playing once I realized my brain was 'bout to fall out of my head.

氷の動物
04-13-2007, 04:24 AM

2x KotR
1x Omnislash

Not nearly as epic as having Sephiroth use Supernova and then dieing right after from Yuffie using counter-attack materia... all 10 of them (which all activate when one activates). I was like, oh man I might actually have to heal for this battle... nevermind.

And FFX was just funny... none of the final bosses after Sin even got the chance to take one turn.

As far as FFXII though I haven't really had much of chance to play it around my insane college schedule (only one week left plus finals... too bad that one week will probably be the hardest this semester). I will probably try to beat FFXII over summer break though... along with a ton of other games I've been saying I'll beat (time will tell how much I actually get done around summer school, a job, and next years project though). Still what I played I liked... sure it is a very different game but overall I found it to be enjoyable and a good change of pace for the serious... plus FFXII redeemed the Final Fantasy series from the awfulness that was X-2.

Wolfwood
04-13-2007, 05:36 AM
i like it alot. it's a different and cool change.
there is a major problem in it still.
the main thing is it's missing character interaction. in all the other FF's you'd get lots of chances to talk amoungst your party about next steps and current events, yet not in this game.

lets hope the character interaction is back on the FFXIII games ^^;

despite the flaw, FFXII is a great game (you gotta love a game with rolling birds :P )
and while a mist flood might work for many bosses, each FF does have a simple way to defeat enemy's so it's nothing new.
but it still has a hugely powerful monster that'll make you think a little beyond that (the bloody omega mark >_> )

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Khanxay
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
FFX is just simply an easy game. About after the Calm Lands, you would know the game enough to be able to plan each battle from the start.

plus FFXII redeemed the Final Fantasy series from the awfulness that was X-2.

I actually thought FFX-2 was kinda nice. It was a lot harder than X but had such a horrible story. But being numbered as part of the main FF series, it really dissappoint a lot.

Marionette Kadaj
04-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I acctually liked FFXII because it was different. Once you get out of the "It's not like the other Final Fantasys" mindset, it becomes an enjoyable game. The story line did kinda suck, but I love the artwork and music. And the battle system, I believe, is a medium between FFX and FFXIII, because contrary to popular though, FXII and FXIII will not be the same system.

Regex
04-13-2007, 10:34 AM
i like it alot. it's a different and cool change.
there is a major problem in it still.
the main thing is it's missing character interaction. in all the other FF's you'd get lots of chances to talk amoungst your party about next steps and current events, yet not in this game.How do you figure? There was lots of interaction between characters in FFXII. No less than Final Fantasys IV-VII had. In fact, the story and character interaction is one of the big things I really enjoyed about Final Fantasy XII. The characters weren't the most irritating that the Final Fantasy series has had to offer, either.

My biggest complaint with FFXII was the grinding. It's my least favorite thing about MMO's, and they brought it to the offline world. In order to keep up, you have to sit around for 4 hours or so just leveling up. The exact opposite extreme to my problem with Final Fantasy VIII, where leveling up was worthless.

But I absolutely loved the battle system. It was a very clever system, and I would love to see the direction they take it in the next incarnation.

Wolfwood
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
in most FF's you'd get to talk to your own characters when entering new towns, or on airships, and stuff like that. FFXII was very much missing that. there were few times you could talk to them and they wouldnt say much interesting unless it just moved onto more of the story.

there were a few nice moments, but when playing FFX again or any other FF you start to feel dissapointed with what 12 gave in that department.
it was also a great way to get to know the characters more (like in FFVII where it went as far to evolve into many spin-offs from the amount of back story going on with every character in the game O_o)

overall its a loss, but mostly that's overshadowed by many other features the game brought into FF (like a camera you could control finaly ^^; )

i wonder if the DS FFXII spin off will go into the characters stories a little more.

Regex
04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
in most FF's you'd get to talk to your own characters when entering new towns, or on airships, and stuff like that. FFXII was very much missing that. there were few times you could talk to them and they wouldnt say much interesting unless it just moved onto more of the story.That's exactly how FFX was. You didn't get to stop and talk to the other characters. They would come out for a short cut scene when you got to a new area, and talk about it. I don't recall much more than that in FFIX either. I know that 1-6 had less of that, even.

The difference in this one is that they told the characters' back stories in a slightly different way this time around. It was a new method, and it worked well. Unlike FFVIII, where all the characters were made out to be really really irritating, and you were forced to deal with them even more.

overall its a loss, but mostly that's overshadowed by many other features the game brought into FF (like a camera you could control finaly ^^; )This was one of the more irritating "gimmicks" of the game. Controlling the camera is such a worthless ability if the views are set up properly to begin with. In this case, I found myself getting annoyed with where the camera decided to sit, and often found myself constantly adjusting it. I don't want to have to focus on the camera control in a game.

That being said, it was necessary for this game, as all characters had completely free movement. Without being able to move the camera, you'd lose your smaller characters, as they would be hiding behind others.

Wolfwood
04-13-2007, 01:24 PM
in FFX and most the others you could talk to any of the others characters in most new areas to get their current thoughts and learn a bit about them, and once ya got an airship (always had it in FFX-2) you can chat to them after every little event and learn more about whatever.
12 just had a small amount of scene's and no way to talk to ya own characters beyond a few rare times.

might of been better if when on airships you'd split up (since ya not gonna be fighting monsters or anything on it) then you'd get a chance to talk, or even in taverns.
most reviews in mags, or on the net mark FFXII down a bit for a lack of character development aswell saying it's lacking something people have come to love in FF games. (missing a whole relationship story annoyed a few aswell ^^; )
FFXII was something new and a risk SE decided to take, and i think it's payed off because ever since the games release there's been comments all over the net of what people loved and hated bout the game so SquareEnix is getting plenty of feedback for future works.

and i personaly liked the camera alot, probably because i liked the mmo feel from FFXI ^^;
but looking around towns was a nice change since alot of the FFXII world was very interesting. it's also weird that it's the same world as a FF tactics game, hmm >_>

Regex
04-13-2007, 02:08 PM
in FFX and most the others you could talk to any of the others characters in most new areas to get their current thoughts and learn a bit about them, and once ya got an airship (always had it in FFX-2) you can chat to them after every little event and learn more about whatever.
12 just had a small amount of scene's and no way to talk to ya own characters beyond a few rare times.If you mean "I hope we save Yunie soon!" is character development, then okay. That shouldn't surprise me, given all the other nonsense you tend to spew.

most reviews in mags, or on the net mark FFXII down a bit for a lack of character development aswell saying it's lacking something people have come to love in FF games. (missing a whole relationship story annoyed a few aswell ^^; )I'm not sure which reviews you read, but the things I read touched on how they liked that this had more gameplay, and less of a movie feel. i.e. The development was there, and you learned a lot about the characters, but you didn't have to sit around for 30 minutes to do it.
Then again, I read from credible sources, so that could be the discrepancy there.

I for one was relieved that they made such a good story, and didn't ruin it with one of their awful love stories that they always tend to put in there. My favorite Final Fantasy game of all time proved that the story can be wonderful without forcing a random love story in there that has nothing to do with anything.

Final Fantasy VIII and IX had that forced in there so poorly, it was like the boss told the writers they had to add a love story or else. It was disjointed, and made no sense. Final Fantasy IV and X actually did the love story right, in that in IV, it was out of the way, and not a huge thing. In X, you got to watch it all develop and actually flourish, not have whiny kids who are too scared to talk about how they feel, while they're having their many brushes with death.

FFXII was something new and a risk SE decided to take, and i think it's payed off because ever since the games release there's been comments all over the net of what people loved and hated bout the game so SquareEnix is getting plenty of feedback for future works.No. It was not a risk. It was innovation, yes.

and i personaly liked the camera alot, probably because i liked the mmo feel from FFXI ^^;Again, part of the bizarro world you live in, where bad is good, and wrong is right. FFXI did the MMO thing horribly. One of the few that managed to trump Star Wars Galaxies in doing things the exact wrong way.

Nonetheless, the moving camera had little to do with the MMO feel. That feel came from the way the battle system was set up, and how the world and travel was designed.

Masali
04-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, I've only played a little bit of it...but honestly? I think it's only moderately fun, but also INCREDIBLY BORING! Anything else I'd have to add would be just repeating what regex already made note of.

Ryth
04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
It was a very flawed game, but I somehow managed to enjoy it. Even though the character development is nonexistent and so the characters themselves were boring except Balthier, Vaan sucks and reminds me of a vagina, the sidequests are retarded, the plot progression is lethargic at best, and it features the typic modern FF bull of "every character can do the exact same thing." The battle system is decent enough, and I don't miss random battles, but it didn't knock me out of the park. FFIX and FFT are the best post-VI FFs, in my opinion.

XII > VII, VIII, and X-2 though.

and VI > All.

Masali
04-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics will always be my favorite. They need to make another...

Ryth
04-13-2007, 06:15 PM
The closest thing you'll get seems to be FFTA (not a direct sequel) and the PSP remake. :(

Masali
04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I thought tactics advanced was pretty stupid. Fun, but stupid.

Ryth
04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
That was my reaction to it as well. It was a fun game and all, just a stupid one.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
If Final Fantasy < 7
Good times are had by all.

If Final Fantasy = 7
Acceptable, if you don't think about the plot very hard.

If Final Fantasy > 7
Run.

Final Fantasy long ago left the realm of story-telling and tried to replace it with "interesting" characters and "interesting" world building. Final Fantasy's have just become interchangeable, uninspired and moreover: boring. This goes for Kingdom Hearts too, with the exception of the Gummi Ships, which should be a game on its own. Around 10, I lost all interest in the series. When I see some indication that they arenít playing to their main audience of angsty 14 year olds, I may return. But such as it is? I have no intention to play any Final Fantasies.

Tactics is awesome, although Advanced was a little too dumbed down for my taste.

Wolfwood
04-14-2007, 01:26 AM
lol tactics= fun but stupid. so true ^^

and Regex, ya need to go back and try FFX, VII or any other final fantasy again. your comments just seem so out of touch. ya just comming off as someone who hasnt even played FFIX, X or any of the others with the stuff you're posting.

anyway, this game was to focused on the politics of the world. it left many FF fans wanting the character interaction seen in the previous games.
there are still plenty of things that got this game good scores and what make it fun, but it could of been sooooo much better.
still, rolling birds are cool :P everyone's gotta love the rolling birds ^^

氷の動物
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
If Final Fantasy < 7
Good times are had by all.

If Final Fantasy = 7
Acceptable, if you don't think about the plot very hard.

If Final Fantasy > 7
Run.

I love how you formulated it as a math expression, and I'd actually have to agree with you.

I loved Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, some of the best games ever.

VII's plot doesn't make much sense.

VIII was way to experimental and grind (or should I call it Draw) intensive.

IX is fun but the plot just completely falls apart at the end, its like the entire game builds up to a final boss battle which has nothing to do with any part of the plot.

X had a good plot in my opinion but it was really easy, and the game lacked any kind of fun mini-games (who really enjoys or even wants to dodge 200 lighting bolts on the thunder plains... or wants to try to open the chests in the only extra dungeon except the chests are on a mysterious timer which makes them all disappear if you miss the correct time... and blitz ball really wasn't much fun either).

XI is a so-so MMO... but it leans more towards the hardcore side of MMOs (I'm not a big fan of leveling down and up repeatedly just because you died).

X-2 was just terrible... it had hardly any plot, the music was flat out awful, and they took FFIII and FFV's job systems and managed to implement them in such a way that battles just weren't fun (by the time you actually change dress spheres you could have won the battle by just holding X... not to mention to get most of the good abilities you have to grind which isn't fun at all in this game). And in comparison to X this game has tons of mini-games except most of them aren't really all that fun and are ridiculously short... plus X-2 somehow managed to make blitz ball even less fun then it was in X (who wants to coach a blitz ball team? playing the blitz ball games in X was boring enough!)

Wolfwood
04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
since we're talking bout all FF's now it seems O_o... i'll join in ^^;

i think for most, VII had to many plots going on at once for most to take notice of ^^; lol. i mostly liked it because it was cool and kind of made you want to play it over again because once you learn "the truth" bout cloud :P you look back at everything he said and did, and how tifa reacted and stuff and see those words and reactions in a new light. was very nicely done ^^

IX was indeed fun, and also very funny at stages, but yeah... what was with that final boss? O_o

VIII, if leveling up wasn't so useless this would of been alot better. still a game i'd go back and play over many times, the ending was actualy a good one that tied things up (unlike VII)

X was good for a play, but outside the main story there wasn't to much worth doing. as has been said, who wants to dodge lightning 200 times? O_o that's not a mini game, it's a chore.
blitzball had it's moments... until you raise a team so strong you can kick a goal from anywhere ^^;
the scene's what i played it for seeing as it was the first FF on the ps2 and i was very much amazed with each passing moment ^^

X-2... what to say about it ^^; fun for a play, battle was faster and nice despite garmet grids. some funny moments and characters aswell. mostly a game to give you your FF fill while awaiting other FF games i'd say ^^;

XI, basicly what the above poster said i agree with ^^.
but i guess there was one funny moment of seeing a cat girl player run passed followed soon by a fish chasing her :P or attacking a powerful monster and leading it to some weaker players ^^;;; but outside of messing with others i found it wasnt for a casual mmo gammer, more a hardcore one.

XII is all in all a solid good game, but it's easy to forget it's a FF game. your characters seem to mostly play less of a roll as some of the supporting ones.
the battles system is good, but summons become useless fast and most bosses are defeated with mist flooding.
nice to see SE trying something new and taking risks with a almost completely new style of FF, just gotta hope they keep what worked here and bring back what people mixed for the FFXIII games. ^^

everything before 7 had ups and downs, but it's hard to find an FF fan who isnt awaiting a portible or console remake of their fave pre-7 FF games ^^

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Regex
04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
i think for most, VII had to many plots going on at once for most to take notice of ^^; lol. i mostly liked it because it was cool and kind of made you want to play it over again because once you learn "the truth" bout cloud :P you look back at everything he said and did, and how tifa reacted and stuff and see those words and reactions in a new light. was very nicely done ^^
Final Fantasy VII was the beginning of the decline of the Final Fantasy series. It's where the story began to take the back burner to the ideas of making some of the most irritating characters ever. Suddenly there was all this high school drama that they were focusing on, when they should have been ignoring that, and saving the world.
The up side was that the gameplay was still excellent. It made the game worth playing, at least.

IX was indeed fun, and also very funny at stages, but yeah... what was with that final boss? O_oIX was fun, and had 3 funny moments. It was a welcome change from the way the games had been going, and I liked a lot of it. But then that love story was just so forced. I couldn't even bring myself to complete the final boss because that love story between Zidane and Garnet just bothered the hell out of me.

The chocobo game was an interesting diversion, but took too long to get so little out of it.

VIII, if leveling up wasn't so useless this would of been alot better. still a game i'd go back and play over many times, the ending was actualy a good one that tied things up (unlike VII)
Of course VIII did that even worse. The drama was turned into junior high drama, and the characters were made out to be emo people that were irritating to read about at all. The gameplay was a huge letdown in this one. The draw system was horribly flawed.

So here we had a game that wasn't fun to play, with an irritating story, and irritating characters. No upside at all.

X was good for a play, but outside the main story there wasn't to much worth doing. as has been said, who wants to dodge lightning 200 times? O_o that's not a mini game, it's a chore.
blitzball had it's moments... until you raise a team so strong you can kick a goal from anywhere ^^;
the scene's what i played it for seeing as it was the first FF on the ps2 and i was very much amazed with each passing moment ^^Like I said before, Final Fantasy X was the only one that has done the love story right in all the recent games. The development was written in a way that it all actually made sense.
It wasn't a terrible installment of the Final Fantasy series, but I felt like there was too much story, and not enough gameplay. It was more like a movie than it was a game.

X-2... what to say about it ^^; fun for a play, battle was faster and nice despite garmet grids. some funny moments and characters aswell. mostly a game to give you your FF fill while awaiting other FF games i'd say ^^;If you need an "FF fill" then you have serious issues and should probably lay off the video games and forums for 10 or 20 years. This means you, Wolfwood.

XI, basicly what the above poster said i agree with ^^.
but i guess there was one funny moment of seeing a cat girl player run passed followed soon by a fish chasing her :P or attacking a powerful monster and leading it to some weaker players ^^;;; but outside of messing with others i found it wasnt for a casual mmo gammer, more a hardcore one.Final Fantasy XI was beyond "not for casual gamers". It was not for players at all. No game should require you to spend 3 or 4 hours looking for a group, just so you can spend 4 hours to earn 1/10th of the experience you need to gain a level.
And when they tried to put in that little story, they didn't implement it well. Even that took hours and a whole group to complete.

.... And then you have to spend a few hours trying to make enough money to support your leveling. After all, it's not free to go out ther and get stronger.

XII is all in all a solid good game, but it's easy to forget it's a FF game. your characters seem to mostly play less of a roll as some of the supporting ones.
the battles system is good, but summons become useless fast and most bosses are defeated with mist flooding.
nice to see SE trying something new and taking risks with a almost completely new style of FF, just gotta hope they keep what worked here and bring back what people mixed for the FFXIII games. ^^Again, it was no risk. That's like saying it was a risk for Nintendo to come out with another Mario Party.

everything before 7 had ups and downs, but it's hard to find an FF fan who isnt awaiting a portible or console remake of their fave pre-7 FF games ^^

=[[Wolfwood]]=4 had no downs... 5 had no downs. 6 had no downs. They truly were the best RPGs for their time. The characters and story were interesting, and the gameplay was interesting.

Of course, what do I know. I'm just out of touch with Final Fantasy. I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about, since I don't adore Final Fantasy 7-10 like Wolfwood does. I certainly don't have any idea how to judge games, otherwise I'd love Final Fantasy just for the name, like every idiot who thinks slapping Sony's name on a piece of hardware automatically makes it great.

-Batman-
04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
like every idiot who thinks slapping Sony's name on a piece of hardware automatically makes it great.

I cheated.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_3039246212894156d8.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=8810)
...And I suddenly feel dirty.

Anyway, Wolfwood...I'm not going to bother typing any more replies to your posts, they're all wasted.
But I'll say one, brief thing anyway, regardless of the fact that I should know better.

FF fill

Are you high? One Final Fantasy game takes what...40-50 hours to beat? You need more than the one every few years?
Honestly, do people even have LIVES anymore if they have the amount of free time to play a 50 hour long RPG and NOT be satisfied once they beat it?

And question...For everyone else.

I've beaten
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10, and 10-2.
Am I the only person who felt empty at the end of these games? Am I the only person who felt that beating these games were more of a chore than actually enjoying it? And Regex is right about the love stories in 7 and 8. When I was in school, I played video games to escape the drama and teen angst of highschool and middleschool. NOT to relive them when I got home.

That's why I spent most of my freetime back in the playstation generation playing nintendo classics, Tomb Raider, and Crash =D

Ryth
04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I've beaten
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10, and 10-2.
Am I the only person who felt empty at the end of these games? Am I the only person who felt that beating these games were more of a chore than actually enjoying it? And Regex is right about the love stories in 7 and 8. When I was in school, I played video games to escape the drama and teen angst of highschool and middleschool. NOT to relive them when I got home.

You surely aren't. FFVII was boring, and as said previously the beginning of the decline in FF, the plotholes were bigger than the Northern Crater itself, Sephiroth was a dull, poorly crafted villian, the characters were uninteresting, and the combat was dull.
FFVIII...well the only two things I liked about VIII was Quitis and her whip, and when Seifer called Squall puberty boy (or something?) and Zell a chicken wuss. Other than that, FFVIII had absolutely no redeeming qualities. A terrible tacked-on excuse for a "plot" (people say VIII has the best plot because people can still talk about it today and argue over it, it's actually the worst because Square did such a horrible job with tying everything together. Like R=U, C=G (Confusing = Good) is false) with more plotholes than there are FFVII fanboys, douchebag characters, horrid battle mechanics, and everything else you could possibly imagine was wrong with FFVIII.

Ok, I didn't mind FFX all that much, but most of the characters annoyed me.

And X-2 is just too easy.

And all of those games suffered from "every character can do the exact same thing."

Really, the series peaked in FFIV through FFVI, and IX was good because it was a throwback to classic FF (and FFT just kicked ***). Seems as soon as Sony got it's hands on FF, the series went down the crapper.

unspun
04-14-2007, 03:54 PM
And X-2 is just too easy.

roflmao go through 100% complete. It'll be the most annoying thing you've ever done in your life.

-Batman-
04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
roflmao go through 100&#37; complete. It'll be the most annoying thing you've ever done in your life.

You're right. It was annoying, I personally never beat it 100%. Why? Not because it was too hard, but because it was so god forsaken boring.
I bet i'm not the only person who thinks that either.

Ryth
04-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I now realise I was being vague: By easy I meant it's too easy to make fun of. :D

Slumber
04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not very good at it. :D

Gouki
04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
FF12 was lacking in a story line and most of the time people in your party left you to go some other thing. Also I dont really like there new battle system idea. That kinda killed the game for me but hopefully they will change the battle system back to normal.

Wolfwood
04-15-2007, 02:01 AM
there were plenty of FF fans out there who didnt like mmo's and that left X-2 as the only FF to play in the main series until XII came out which was a huge way off.
so yup a FF fill was needed for many of the hardcore FF fans, no different then Pokemon fans who settle for stuff like pokemon ranger while waiting for Diamond and Pearl, or Half Life fans who play mod after mod waiting for the next ep in the HL2 series.

and why try to knock down FF7? probably because it was and still is the most popular FF game to date. even now 1up has posted that on january 1st a FF7 remake will be released, maby they were drunk or something?, but anything like this posted by a well known game site makes huge topics all over the web and in a few hours i've seen topics explode with posts about how much people want this. no other FF get's this attencion with remake rumours ^^

the whole 7 to 10 vs 6 and below just seems to be a stupid oldschool vs new school FF thing with no real point to it other then people trying to say "i've played it longer"

in other news ^^;
FFXIII seems to have a fully new battle system again, will be interesting to see how that plays out. and so far rumours say that FF versus XIII will have a kindom hearts style battle system (but no-one knows much about this game yet other then the current trailers look cool.)

Shadow of Life
04-15-2007, 02:10 AM
My dont play ff7

Wolfwood
04-15-2007, 07:20 AM
man we've gone off topic now that i look over it O_o

back to the topic, does FFXII suck? depends, it's different to the usual FF's so you'll find many mixed feelings on it from FF followers.
i personaly like it, i wouldn't give it a 10, but between an 8.5 and 9. which is still great in my book ^^

good enough for me to grab the FFXII game on DS that'll be released sometime... sooner or later >_>

=[[Wolfwood]]=

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-15-2007, 10:35 AM
and why try to knock down FF7? probably because it was and still is the most popular FF game to date. even now 1up has posted that on january 1st a FF7 remake will be released, maby they were drunk or something?, but anything like this posted by a well known game site makes huge topics all over the web and in a few hours i've seen topics explode with posts about how much people want this. no other FF get's this attencion with remake rumours ^^

Popular != Good.
See Scary Movie 1 through Infinity.
Or Halo, for that matter.

the whole 7 to 10 vs 6 and below just seems to be a stupid oldschool vs new school FF thing with no real point to it other then people trying to say "i've played it longer"

It's not an oldschool[sic] thing. If it were, we'd be all "Yeah, Final Fantasy Sucks. Remember Adventure? Now there was a RPG!"

Final Fantasy 6 was the last one that actually had a decent story, and didn't shove forced love stories down your throat, or have inane two dimensional characters everywhere.

Ryth
04-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Anyway, Wolfwood...I'm not going to bother typing any more replies to your posts, they're all wasted.

I am taking up this policy now.

unspun
04-15-2007, 01:46 PM
You're right. It was annoying, I personally never beat it 100%. Why? Not because it was too hard, but because it was so god forsaken boring.
I bet i'm not the only person who thinks that either.

no haha that's was I was saying. I went through 100%, and then I swore I'd never touch that game again haha, OMG the random crap you had to do, yes, boring, and annoying, and tedious. sums it up completely.

Ryth
04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I read in a walkthrough you have to press X or something during a cutscene to get percentage or something. Reading it I was thinking how the hell I was supposed to figure that out on my own in the first place.

-Batman-
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
no different then Pokemon fans who settle for stuff like pokemon ranger while waiting for Diamond and Pearl,

...You know most of the people who buy poke'mon ranger, dash, and mystery dungeon are under the age of ten, correct? You're also awair that these games are just another attempt at monopolzing Poke'mon, Right?
Hell, i'm a fan of the Poke'mon games. I have something called Patience.
Poke'mon is the worst example to use. They don't make spin-off games of Poke'mon to appease fans, they make more Poke'mon games for the purpose of pushing even more Poke'mon crap.

unspun
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I read in a walkthrough you have to press X or something during a cutscene to get percentage or something. Reading it I was thinking how the hell I was supposed to figure that out on my own in the first place.\

yeah, and not only that, but when shinra is finished setting up the commspheres you have to literally look at some of them 11+ TIMES otherwise it messes up the percentages.

Wolfwood
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
...You know most of the people who buy poke'mon ranger, dash, and mystery dungeon are under the age of ten, correct? You're also awair that these games are just another attempt at monopolzing Poke'mon, Right?
Hell, i'm a fan of the Poke'mon games. I have something called Patience.
Poke'mon is the worst example to use. They don't make spin-off games of Poke'mon to appease fans, they make more Poke'mon games for the purpose of pushing even more Poke'mon crap.

then take the halflife example, simple. dosnt change the fact there are people who love a series so much they'll be playing everything about it (spin-off or otherwise)

Final Fantasy 6 was the last one that actually had a decent story, and didn't shove forced love stories down your throat, or have inane two dimensional characters everywhere.

i think that's where alot of debate pops up, if people liked the change or not O_o
in FFXII alot of people complained from the lack of a love story showing it's become to be as expected from the series as a chocobo or a guy named Cid.

lazymashimaru
04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Right, first off im a major final fantasy fan, played them all even XI, yet XII:banghead: seems to bore me, the storyline wasn't intresting and in my opinion the battle systems much worse and less strategic, am i the only one thinking this? play ff4, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 and you'll see what i mean

yeah i agree with you..me and my friends play ff but we totally agreed that ff12 will be less popular than the others. @_@

Khanxay
04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
I cheated.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_3039246212894156d8.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=8810)
...And I suddenly feel dirty.

Noo!! Why?? WHY!?

I personally think SE is cranking out games just to make money off the names alone. (Less than 1/3 of the games that come out now are any good.) All of my favorites from Enix and Squaresoft have gone under since the merge. You might as well stick the stick Square Enix on the above Wii and sell it on EBay, because it will sell because just because of that name.
And those that support crap by buying it, are only telling the makers to make more crap.

it's become to be as expected from the series as a chocobo or a guy named Cid.
If you're saying that you might as well become one of those that don't accept some of the games such as FF Crystal Chronicles (which would have been great if it didn't require 4 GBA for multiplayer), Tactics, and Tactics Advance. There's a lot more signature stuff in the series like the usual turn-based battles...but they don't have be in each game. If you want a game that always stays the same, go play Dynasty Warriors.

Wolfwood
04-16-2007, 09:58 AM
i actualy like the tactics games (not CC, stupid GBA as a control for multiplayer >_> what were they thinking?)
but even they still had the FF feel to them. just the way the characters were i guess, hard to put into words.

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-16-2007, 10:23 AM
i actualy like the tactics games (not CC, stupid GBA as a control for multiplayer >_> what were they thinking?)
but even they still had the FF feel to them. just the way the characters were i guess, hard to put into words.

FFT was completely unlike the post-6 Final Fantasies.

A) It had a plot. (Albeit badly translated)
B) There was no nonsensical love story that you couldn't easily ignore.
C) It was hard (Unless you used Orlando, or monks), but didn't require you to level up incessantly- the enemies are usually tied to your level.
D) The characters weren't two dimensional.
E) You had to use the parts of your brain devoted to reasoning.

I think you were confused by the guy named Cid and the chocobos.

Wolfwood
04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
... i'm lost now O_o
i think something got meddled up somewhere and now i dont know what point is being raised where ^^; lol
yup FFT wasn't like the rest, but something about it still had that "i'm a FF game" feel. but it's still something i'm trying to work out how to put into words without needing to type a book ^^;;;

anyways, seems like we've gone way off topic aswell. we may need a general FF topic for all this stuff.

Andrew
04-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Eh.. I didn't think it sucked. I mean, it wasn't the greatest installment of the series, but it was a new twist that I enjoyed. The story was a bit flawed, as there wasn't any dark and twisted plot, like you see in the previous games, but it did alright.

I'd also like to point out that the voice-actor of Vaan, was a character in Charmed! Whoo.

Okay I'm done

Wolfwood
04-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Eh.. I didn't think it sucked. I mean, it wasn't the greatest installment of the series, but it was a new twist that I enjoyed. The story was a bit flawed, as there wasn't any dark and twisted plot, like you see in the previous games, but it did alright.

I'd also like to point out that the voice-actor of Vaan, was a character in Charmed! Whoo.

Okay I'm done
he was? O_o i should pay more attencion to the credits >_>
i loved Fran's voice acting, something about it was just very suited to her.
the voice acting for all the characters was done very well, almost makes you forget the horrible fake laugh moment from FFX... almost :P

Hyperaesthesia
04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
It's taking me a long time to get into FFXII. I'm sure it'll be a technically 'good' game, but it's just not grabbing my attention yet and I have a really hard time caring about the characters or what's going on. Still, I haven't got very far into it and it's not the first time it's taken me hours to get interested in a Final Fantasy. I don't like the battle system either, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played a bit more and seen what it can really do.

Sword
04-17-2007, 02:34 PM
By the end of the game, the only character I really cared about was Basch. They seemed to concentrate on the relationship between Basch and Gabranth in the final run and did anyone else feel that Vaan and Penelo had no bearing on the story WHAT SO EVER after the start. All that happens with Vaan is that his brother gets killed and he ends up realizing that it wasn't Basch's fault. That happens within the 1st 10 hours at the most. Then we are just left to kind of assume that Vaan stays with the group to get revenge for his brother...his brother was not mentioned for the rest of the game, even at the end. The gameplay is excellent though and incredibly fun to play.

Wolfwood
04-18-2007, 01:33 AM
yeah, vaan and penelo were just kinda, along for the ride. they just seemed to be there to lay off the seriousness of the others a bit ^^;
i did like the fact he started off killing rats :P such a mmo thing to do.

-Batman-
04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
i did like the fact he started off killing rats :P such a mmo thing to do.

No it isn't.

Baby Boars and Kobalds....THATS an MMO thing to do.

Wolfwood
04-19-2007, 01:31 AM
thats a WoW thing to do :P lol
trying to remember, there was an mmo where at the start there was atleast 15 different quests that just involved "kill some rats" ^^;

dosnt killing baby boars seem a little... well, they're baby's ya know? ^^;
then again, killing chocobo's in FFXII seems cruel aswell >_>

beat
04-19-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm new here. I stumbled across this thread by Googling "Why Final Fantasy XII sucks" for the hell of it. I'd rather read people's negative opinions than positive opinions, simply because I'm a guy that likes the game, and I'd rather see why people dislike the game since I don't share that perspective.

Sadly, I've yet to see a convincing argument.

Final Fantasy XII is probably the best game in the series since VI. I don't say that to prove I'm an "old school" gamer, and I don't say that to be an elitist or because I'm one of the thousands of Final Fantasy fans that thinks VII is overrated (even though it is). I say it because it's the truth.

I really can't sympathize with the people who say that there's no character depth/development, or that there is no decent story. Honestly, do you guys need to be force-fed this kind of thing? Just because there are no cutscenes with some super elaborate flashback showcasing something oh, so very tragic that happened years prior (because, of course, heaven forbid these things happen in the present time, as that would certainly make a bad game!) doesn't mean that the characters show no depth. Despite there being no force-feeding of a past storyline via some inane flashback, I find myself identifying with the characters of XII more than I have any other character in Final Fantasy's history.

As for the story: Just because it doesn't directly involve the main character or have no ill-begotten love story doesn't mean that it's crap. Seriously. To me, most of the past storylines in the entire series have been stuff designed for kids. It always, always, always boils down to "you're the hero, you must save the world!" in some way, shape, or form. In XII, your character isn't the main focus of the story. There's no romance, no kissing scene, no dramatic moment of death with tears to follow. No, Ashe does not die like Aeris did. Boo-hoo, the story sucks.

Those complaining about a lack of character depth or the lack of a decent story typically have to be force-fed things. The same logic can easily be applied to literature. It's like someone saying that the Harry Potter series make for better books than something by Kurt Vonnegut or Albert Camus, simply because the storyline is more obvious and the characters are spelled out for every reader.

Honestly, I don't mean to come in sounding like some elitist hack or anything, but I also really, really can't value the opinion of someone who says "X-2 was a FANTASTIC GAME" and declares XII a heaping pile of **** based on the fact that the story is perceived as boring and political and the characters have no depth or story to them.

Bah. Sorry for ranting, it just bugs me sometimes. :\

Anyhoo! I really enjoy the game. Despite the huge, sweeping changes (real-time battles and all that hoopla), somehow, XII feels like a "return to form" for some ungodly reason. It makes me smile, because it's as if we finally have a really kick-*** successor to the great Final Fantasies of yesteryear. I know that hearing "VI was the best" gets annoying to people, but it's really nice to be able to say that we've got a truly awesome, unique, enthralling Final Fantasy game without having to say "it's been years" or "it's not as good as..." because this one is actually fantastic. It actually lives up to the Final Fantasy name. It's actually one of the best, if not the best, in the series.

Unfortunately, there are a few who won't realize this. They'll insist that, because there is no Sephiroth, no ridiculously emotionless main character with a hidden past and a young woman who's hopelessly in love with him for no reason whatsoever, the game totally sucks. It's really too bad.

P.S. Ivalice just kicks ***, hands down. Say what you will about FFTA, but when I heard that XII would be taking place in Ivalice, I dusted off FFT again and played it like there was no tomorrow. I was excited, man. Luckily for me, I wasn't let down.

-Batman-
04-19-2007, 03:11 AM
http://www.animeforum.com/image/3039246271c0c60e58.gif (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=9053)

Sadly, I've yet to see a convincing argument.

Welcome to Anime Forum!

Final Fantasy XII is probably the best game in the series since VI. I don't say that to prove I'm an "old school" gamer, and I don't say that to be an elitist or because I'm one of the thousands of Final Fantasy fans that thinks VII is overrated (even though it is). I say it because it's the truth.

Saying any game in the series is better than the rest is a matter of opinion. Personally, I thought the game sucked. That doesn't make it the truth, that just means I thought the game was bland, plain looking, depressing, and dull.

I really can't sympathize with the people who say that there's no character depth/development, or that there is no decent story. Honestly, do you guys need to be force-fed this kind of thing?

Who asked for sympathy?
Not everyone will like the story. If everyone liked the same exact stories, there would be no variaty and thus no reason for writers to bother trying.

Just because there are no cutscenes with some super elaborate flashback showcasing something oh, so very tragic that happened years prior (because, of course, heaven forbid these things happen in the present time, as that would certainly make a bad game!)

I may be mistaken, but didn't the beginning of the game start off as a flash-back kinda thing?

doesn't mean that the characters show no depth. Despite there being no force-feeding of a past storyline via some inane flashback, I find myself identifying with the characters of XII more than I have any other character in Final Fantasy's history.

Diffrent people identify with diffrent things.

As for the story: Just because it doesn't directly involve the main character or have no ill-begotten love story doesn't mean that it's crap.

Noooo, but the fact that the game was more Politics than the Phantom Menace might have something to do with the fact that the story sucked. When I heard the intro movie to the game, I had a very...Star Warsish feel going on in my head.

Seriously. To me, most of the past storylines in the entire series have been stuff designed for kids. It always, always, always boils down to "you're the hero, you must save the world!" in some way, shape, or form. In XII, your character isn't the main focus of the story. There's no romance, no kissing scene, no dramatic moment of death with tears to follow. No, Ashe does not die like Aeris did. Boo-hoo, the story sucks.

Well, i'll say two things here.
-Most of the previous games in the series sucked too.
-People play video games to escape from reality. If I wanted to be a nobody just tagging along for the ride, I'd find a comfortable place in the back of some d-list actors entourage of suck-ups.

Those complaining about a lack of character depth or the lack of a decent story typically have to be force-fed things. The same logic can easily be applied to literature. It's like someone saying that the Harry Potter series make for better books than something by Kurt Vonnegut or Albert Camus, simply because the storyline is more obvious and the characters are spelled out for every reader.

You seem to LOVE saying "Force-fed". So if a story and cast of characters don't meet someones personal taste, it means that it's because the game never "Force-Fed" the story to them?

Honestly, I don't mean to come in sounding like some elitist hack or anything, but I also really, really can't value the opinion of someone who says "X-2 was a FANTASTIC GAME" and declares XII a heaping pile of **** based on the fact that the story is perceived as boring and political and the characters have no depth or story to them.

X-2 was a FANTASTIC GAME.
What's not to love? You've got charles angels...and...50 wasted dollars!

Unfortunately, there are a few who won't realize this. They'll insist that, because there is no Sephiroth, no ridiculously emotionless main character with a hidden past and a young woman who's hopelessly in love with him for no reason whatsoever, the game totally sucks. It's really too bad.

12 sucked, but what you described sucked pretty bad too.

bakakame
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
thats a WoW thing to do :P lol
trying to remember, there was an mmo where at the start there was atleast 15 different quests that just involved "kill some rats" ^^

Ah, reminicent of the good old days of EQ. I wish I could upload sound files, I still have some old EQ music and parodies, one of them called "Rat Killer"

Can probably download it from a P2P network, I'm fairly sure it isn't licenced.

.....gah, now I have to listen to it again.

Regex
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
thats a WoW thing to doThat was done in EQ, in D&D, and yes, also in WoW. It's an MMO thing to do. Again, stop talking about things when you obviously have no experience in it.

I'm new here. I stumbled across this thread by Googling "Why Final Fantasy XII sucks" for the hell of it. I'd rather read people's negative opinions than positive opinions, simply because I'm a guy that likes the game, and I'd rather see why people dislike the game since I don't share that perspective.

Sadly, I've yet to see a convincing argument.Don't be surprised. If you like the game, chances are, the things that other people disliked, you either didn't mind, or you actually preferred. They won't convince you, any more than you'll be able to convince them that Squall was a shallow character.

Saying any game in the series is better than the rest is a matter of opinion. Personally, I thought the game sucked. That doesn't make it the truth, that just means I thought the game was bland, plain looking, depressing, and dull.As much as you may think it sucked, try to say that VII, VIII, IX, X, or X-2 were better. I know you can't.

Who asked for sympathy?
Not everyone will like the story. If everyone liked the same exact stories, there would be no variaty and thus no reason for writers to bother trying.Look up "sympathize" and how it's commonly used. It doesn't necessarily mean to give sympathy in the way you seem to think it does. Perhaps "I can't relate" would work better for you? Or would you like to semantically argue about that? Nonetheless, while opinions will differ, there are still things that make one thing better than another. Even if you don't prefer story-heavy games, there are story devices that work, and devices that don't work. Fact.

I may be mistaken, but didn't the beginning of the game start off as a flash-back kinda thing?Congratulations on missing the point. You are now accepted as a full-fledged member of Animeforum. The tutorial section providing the back story is not at all the same as an elaborate flashback detailing why Cloud has been so emo all the time.

Noooo, but the fact that the game was more Politics than the Phantom Menace might have something to do with the fact that the story sucked. When I heard the intro movie to the game, I had a very...Star Warsish feel going on in my head.Different people identify with different things.

Well, i'll say two things here.
-Most of the previous games in the series sucked too.
-People play video games to escape from reality. If I wanted to be a nobody just tagging along for the ride, I'd find a comfortable place in the back of some d-list actors entourage of suck-ups.Don't be a jerk. I know you agreed with what the fellow said here. It won't kill you to speak out in support of some things that someone said.

You seem to LOVE saying "Force-fed". So if a story and cast of characters don't meet someones personal taste, it means that it's because the game never "Force-Fed" the story to them?While I'd use the term "spoon feeding" rather than "force feeding" the idea is there. The last few games didn't leave anything up for interpretation. It has nothing to do with personal tastes about the characters. It has to do with character development and proper story writing in general.

And again. Stop arguing. You agree with him. You have said the SAME THINGS. You may not have enjoyed FFXII any more than the others, but you have given different reasons for not liking it.

-Batman-
04-19-2007, 03:26 PM
As much as you may think it sucked, try to say that VII, VIII, IX, X, or X-2 were better. I know you can't.

Look up "sympathize" and how it's commonly used. It doesn't necessarily mean to give sympathy in the way you seem to think it does. Perhaps "I can't relate" would work better for you? Or would you like to semantically argue about that? Nonetheless, while opinions will differ, there are still things that make one thing better than another. Even if you don't prefer story-heavy games, there are story devices that work, and devices that don't work. Fact.

Congratulations on missing the point. You are now accepted as a full-fledged member of Animeforum. The tutorial section providing the back story is not at all the same as an elaborate flashback detailing why Cloud has been so emo all the time.

Different people identify with different things

Don't be a jerk. I know you agreed with what the fellow said here. It won't kill you to speak out in support of some things that someone said.

While I'd use the term "spoon feeding" rather than "force feeding" the idea is there. The last few games didn't leave anything up for interpretation. It has nothing to do with personal tastes about the characters. It has to do with character development and proper story writing in general.

And again. Stop arguing. You agree with him. You have said the SAME THINGS. You may not have enjoyed FFXII any more than the others, but you have given different reasons for not liking it.

I'm not going to bother. I replied to this guy because he probabaly isn't going to check back any time soon. With you however, there's an ever-constant trade of words back and fourth between the two of us, which is why I replied to very little of what wolfwood had to say. With this guy I probably wouldn't see a reply from him for a few days, or he may not have come back at all and Just forgotten about it completly.

But to answer your questions and rebuttles as briefly as possible, in hopes that this will die quickly.

Yes, I can and have. Go to the first page.
---
4 in the morning, I assosiated the word with the first definition that popped into my head. Sorry.
---
Awsome, but I really didn't remember a tutorial beyond the first few minutes. Which is kinda why I asked. (I really wasn't being sarcastic there)
---
Indeed
---
No, I didn't agree with him completly. I agreed that that the stories in previous titles sucked, yes. I didn't agree however, that 12 was superior.
---
We've only said similar things about 7-10. But what we said about 12 are exactly opposite.He thinks 12 is the best Final Fantasy since 6. I think it's one of the worst.
He thinks its the best, I think it's the worst...This is the same...How? Maybe that was my fault for not being clear enough.

Wolfwood
04-20-2007, 01:41 AM
curious, out of those who played FFXII, who's planning to get the DS game of FFXII which so far seems to take place right after this one?
i probably will, but gonna wait for reviews first.

=[[Wolfwood]]=

kenji174
04-26-2007, 04:34 AM
To me this wasn't as good as it looked. To me it seemed kinda boring. I would play it but I cant play it like FFX

The Blue Baron
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I think they all sucked, but i can see why they start to get lamer it's because 14 games or whatever the number is now it is just the same thing the stories may be different but overall they are all alike which is really boring to me
Basicly this one sucks because the creators are running out of ideas and are getting somewhat careless. /No offense to anyone/

bug
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM
FFXII was an ok game. But, compared to all the other FF games, it was terrible. The story line was pretty good, but it doesn't really focus on the actual characters as much as the other games did. There isn't much to do besides kill monsters and go shopping for new stuff. Basically, this is easily the worst FF game I have ever played. Infact, I don't even care if I finish it or not, and I'm already on the last part of the game.

Sword
04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Hey beat, the role of the main character is to be the main focus of the story if he isn't...well then thats not a main character. The main character is Ashe really. The only reason you play as Vaan is because he's 17 and he starts his journey by killing rats. We don't even get the story from his point of view. To be honest I thought the story was crap until you got to Giruvegan, then it got crap again after Ridorana.

Also: are you saying that there IS character development? Because at certain points characters just seem to develope relationships on the spot. At one point there is something wrong with Fran and Penelo's all like "are you ok?" and I'm like thats the 1st thing you've EVER said to her and we're half way through the game.

Another thing is that the story being political takes away from the sympathy with the characters. I mean they're killing the enemy, sure, but they're soldiers who are also defending their country and who have family/friends of their own. Playing as good characters who are trying to stop an evil that is putting the world in danger is far more rewarding. The end might have been better if Venat was the final boss. "The Undying" was kinda crappy.

Dark-Sasuke
04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Hmm, i noticed everyones seems to be sayin after final fantasy 6, it all went downhill, well i've played them all, and to be honest the final fantasys before 7 are stereotypical, cheesy and predictable, i mean, were talkin about annoying characters, everyone in ffx-2, which was a bad game, charlies angels in final fantasy, kefka? he looks like a clown, sephiroth was evil, kefkas more like a joke, i'd say they got more complex after final fantasy 6, yet they took it a bit to far with XI and XII and its just got really bad

plus X-2 sucks

VOTE STEANO

kilala_the_kitty
04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
not to be mean or anything but i think all the final fantasys suck

Manhattan_Project_2000
04-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Hmm, i noticed everyones seems to be sayin after final fantasy 6, it all went downhill, well i've played them all, and to be honest the final fantasys before 7 are stereotypical, cheesy and predictable,

Pre-7 Final Fantasies were the Japanese RPGs. The reason they are so "stereotypical and cheesy" is because everyone else ripped off Final Fantasy for ideas. It's like criticizing LoTR for being the epitome of fantasy writing. As for predictable, thatís your opinion, and I feel free to ignore it.

i mean, were talkin about annoying characters, everyone in ffx-2, which was a bad game, charlies angels in final fantasy,

Wee! Nonsensical segue! I'm pretty sure, and I can look this up if you'd like, that FFX-2 came after FFVII and therefore has nothing to do with whatever point you're trying to make.

kefka? he looks like a clown, sephiroth was evil, kefkas more like a joke, i'd say they got more complex after final fantasy 6, yet they took it a bit to far with XI and XII and its just got really bad

Kafka was great. He was a egotistical maniac, pure and simple. He didn't have a space-monster's cells controlling his thoughts through their evil space ju-ju or some such nonsense. He wanted to rule the world because he was better then everyone else, and he does. That said, the "complexity" added after VII is also known by the more accurate moniker of bad writing. There was no rhythm in FF7ís story. It was a collection of action sequences broke up by horrible dialogue about two dimensional characters, strung together by themes so blindingly obvious that even the most obtuse 14 year olds should have felt offended by how little the developer thought of their intelligence. The latter ones are either as bad or worse then FF7 in any of these departments.

plus X-2 sucks

Thank you for playing.