PDA

View Full Version : Dance Dance Revolution

killromance
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know if there was a thread for this or not, being as I am new. So I am making one.

Does anyone here play DDR?
I have been playing the game for a few years now.
What does everyone think of that game? Good? Bad?

Matsumoto
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
im a heavy mode manic ;)

Kilawher Shazarade
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh lordie. DDR is great fun. I look like a retard when I play it, but still fun.

And of course, I never do it in public... that'd just be silly. >_>

Masali
04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Really stupid game, imo. Boring, Repeatative, Lousy music, and you look like a total retard playing it. And then you get the argument "BUT IT HELPS YOU GET IN SHAPEE!111!"

Go out. Get a walkman. GO FOR A JOG and stop playing a game that makes you look like a mentally challenged primate and justifying it by saying it helps you stay in shape. That is my main gripe with the game, and that's it's not fun alone...or with people, but it's funny to laugh at your friends.

Regex
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
To the contrary, it is a lot of fun. No, it's not dancing, and no, you don't look cool while playing it. But man is it a blast, getting up there and playing this game.

Each song is only a minute and a half long. Not long enough to be repetitive. If it sounds repetitive, then someone is playing the same song over and over again (which isn't hard to believe), but you find that happening in Guitar Hero all the time.

As for the exercise issue, I say this. Going for a jog is boring. I liken it to running around in a hamster wheel. When I have to run, I get irritable and in a bad mood, because it just feels so pointless. Playing DDR is an interesting way to get a good cardio workout. You get your heart going, and you can do it for a good solid 20 minutes easy. And why not get exercise doing something you enjoy, rather than something that just irritates you?

The obvious answer is, if you don't like it, you're free to not enjoy it. But come on. You can't deny the cardio workout that it provides. And you look no more stupid playing DDR than people do on some of those ridiculous torture devices at the gym.

Masali
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
but you find that happening in Guitar Hero all the time.

Exactly why I don't like guitar hero. Playing real guitar is much more fun.

Each song is only a minute and a half long. Not long enough to be repetitive. If it sounds repetitive, then someone is playing the same song over and over again (which isn't hard to believe)

It's not the legnth. It's the style of music. It's mostly dominated by by J-Pop or lousy trance music. Most fun I've ever had on it was brick house. Because that's a boss song.

And why not get exercise doing something you enjoy, rather than something that just irritates you?

I'll give in to that. I've never played DDR for that purpose, and I do agree that it would be more entertaining but only by a little.

I'll give in to the fact that I have enjoyed looking like a retard with my friends but...something about doing it alone would make me feel like a total loser. =/

Opinionated
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
The biggest problem I have with DDR and Pump It Up is that virtually everyone playing it has played that version to Erebus and back and can ace most every song on Expert. Or Difficult. That's another problem I have, the difficulty levels aren't clearly define. Is Basic harder than Beginner? Is Difficult harder than Expert? Is there a reason we're not using something simple, like stars?

Back to my point, it's hard to get into DDR because everyone else who's playing it is good at it. It is a strong demotivator to be barely making it on Basic when the guy next to you is on Expert, 2X speed.

Princess Hoshi
04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, yes I play DDR. I really do love the game and I've been playing it for over year. I'm not like -- REALLY good. I can only do up to most 7 footers, a few 8 footers, and very few 9 footers. I've also been doing most of the songs currently on x1.5, too. ^^;;; I enjoy it and it gives you a great cardio workout. =)

wolfgirl90
04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I am a DDR fan. Most of the people around me are. In fact, one of the counties in my city decided to use DDR in their Physical Eduction Program for the schools. The students play the game for about 10-20 minutes to stay in stay in shape and to keep their interest in the class, since many kids don't like running around for a long time. I found this hilarious!!:laugh: :laugh:

Jose
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I love DDR I play it all the time it the best

Nespa
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
i play ddr and think it's funny. i am really lousy and my friend is a expert and it's really funny to watch him show off. though i do keep my first aid kit with me incase he falls of the platform.

*Kayako*
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm such a dork... i love DDR... woot woot -> <- ^

Kamron_1
04-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I play heavy but i could be way better if i didnt only play once a month i play heavy but i get C's

Bloody_Babe7379
04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
im a heavy mode manic ;)
Me Too!Rock on!!!

(_YvOnSo_)
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Im pretty good at it, but I always wanted to try it on a dance pad, yet I play it on the Xbox with my controller and I'm awsome using that.

MissBunBun
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Actually i've been playing DDR ever since it came out and most people say that i preety good at it. but i must agree with Regex, i'd rather play The game then to go running around a track or something (even though i do that anyway) but i mainly play because it gives me something to do and plus it gets you up and moving ^^ and i play on expert mode now

killromance
04-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I play it all the time.
It is a lot more fun then just jogging or going to the gym
I can play in Heavy mode, but it gets challenging. :P.
Its so much fun though.
I've gotten my friends and boyfriend into playing the game.
Some of the music I like, but I am into the techno/trance music.
Sandstorm on DDRMax is my favorite. (:

Famahama
04-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I dont play DDR games too often... but still, its fun when playing with a dance pad.

AngelQueen17
04-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Actually, I have always wanted to wonder what Dance Dance Revolution is.
My online friend in another forum that I go on likes it a lot, and I am like: "Huh? Dance Dance Revolution?". So I would like to participate.

Twig Ee
04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
That game is hard but it is fun if you have the skill to play it. It also looks like it makes you tired.

Kishiro
04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
http://cdn.channel.aol.com/pmms/productpagemovies/0a/01/1889825

THAT GAME IS FUN.
WOW.
WHAT? HIGH SCORE? WHAT IS THAT? IS THAT BAD?
DID I BREAK IT?
*heavy breathing*

I love DDR.... I'm not too great at it, I can't do too many songs on standard, but I do enjoy it a lot. I have Ultra Mix 1 and 2 for my original XB. And I'll be getting the new XB360 version here soon.

I have to say though, the arcade machines are much better than the home versions. Due to the metal/plastic dance pads (that don't tear, break, or bunch up or slide), and the fact that the songs are all around just better.

The Playstation's home versions are titled the same as the arcade versions, but I've been told they aren't the same game, and don't have the same songs. That's very disappointing, for I almost bought a used PS2 for this game, and the wide array of Gundam games as well.

Buruku
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Theres nothing wrong with DDR, its fun. The only thing that gets to me is all the hype, because now all of a sudden theres a game in the arcade a lot of people can play. Whoop de doo. I'm just a mean and bitter person though.

Same thing goes for Guitar hero, everyone at college makes a huge deal about it, its like the greatest thing in the world, its always the ones that have never played a video game in their life that make the huge fuss though. I have the game, its fun but its not as wicked awesome as people make it out to be.

Fiery
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Top 10 in Ohio in 2003.

State tournament.

The number one kid in Ohio was ranked at one point in time number one in the world.

Regex
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I knew Ohio had to be good for something.

Oh, as for the home version, it's not exactly the same as in the arcade, but the biggest difference is between the Japanese version and the English version. If you get it imported, you'll get much closer to the arcade game.

But the home pads all suck. Even the hard pads, they're just not the same experience at all.

Infinita
04-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Dance dance revolution is so much fun!!! My friends and I went to the arcade and tried it. We sucked but hey...it was pretty funny. I wasn't too bad but my other friend totally smoked me! XD lol ^^

LittleMomo
04-25-2007, 05:50 PM
DDR...one of the most fav games that I love, but I did not like it when DDR was put into a Burger King commercial, but that's okay ^ ^ anywho, I do play DDR and it's so fun when I play the hard songs, like The Legend Of Max, I love playing that song, I always get either a B or C, but never an A ^ ^b

Superbi Squalo
04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
HaiHai. I play DDR, but not often, like other people. And of course, the game and music combo stuff is awesome. xP

Sailor Lunar Eclipse
04-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I love DDR, but I hardly get to do it. It's fun, and when I'm mad, its extremely fun. xD

RockStar
05-01-2007, 11:07 PM
i luv the game... i'm not cool enough to play on standard yet but i play the hardest levels on light... i just can't do the insane gallops and more than four eight notes in a row...

i luv mario ddr though, it's really awesome!

LittleMomo
05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
That's good, you know, if you have played DDR : Extreme 2, it should help by going to Training Mode or One of those tip sections. ^ ^b

The Phantom Assasin
05-03-2007, 05:14 AM
My brother tells me i look like a zombie playing this game,although i was moving like crazy...sure,they may tell you how stupid the game is,but you're doing what you like not what others think.

Anyway in the tuition class i'm in,all of us challenge each other at this game.Most of us play a x5 speed and if possible,crack it up to challenge mode.Most of the time we get AA with a ring around it :p .so it's safe to say that this game ROCKS!!!

Eternal Dream
06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
DDR, it's nice!!!
But I prefer Pump It Up!!!!
I love to dance in this machine!!!!
I'm an addicted player!!!!
=]

Tsuneki
06-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I play it at times only because sometimes I don't feel like going outside to go out run. But its a fun game!

Kagura_Sohma
06-02-2007, 10:47 PM
i love DDR, it's like 1 of my fav. it totally rocks, it's like the best ever!!

Sobriquet
06-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I love DDR. It's so much fun!

Hina-chan
06-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I love playing DDR! I don't play that much anymore, though. I play it when I'm bored or something. Still I love playing with it.

kleyrxD
06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I Tried DDR..and I LoVe IT..But it'll hurt your fingers..lol
totally Awes0me!!:wacko:

smile1010
06-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Ok, I suck so much at DDR
Let me tell you a shameful story about me playing DDR
with a 7 year old.

I went to Lampost Pizza.
And this 7 year old challenged me to DDR.
She set my thing to Easy/Begginer
And she set hers to Hard
She ended up winning..
I only got about 13 steps right...

MistaCloudStrife
06-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Oh geez... I'm butting in.

Really stupid game, imo. Boring, Repeatative, Lousy music, and you look like a total retard playing it. And then you get the argument "BUT IT HELPS YOU GET IN SHAPEE!111!"

No, it's not dancing, and no, you don't look cool while playing it.

There are different ways of playing DDR that I know of. One of these is called Freestyle. Usually a player goes down to a lower difficulty and basically dances as if s/he is really dancing.

Examples would be...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=V1nCjS9Lh0I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bebA5C99zYg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEeJRiDJ69I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pp2W4Pv2OHs

And just to seal the deal on freestyling. A couple Pump freestyles...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=crEz8i6oVpI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZIoyHWwzRNc

Is Difficult harder than Expert? Is there a reason we're not using something simple, like stars?

They're called feet. 1/10 feet would be the easiest, 10/10 would be hardest. Of course there are some harder ones like 11/10 which just let you know that you need to be really pro to do it. Any regular DDR players look at this and not just the Basic/Difficult/Maniac ones.

because now all of a sudden theres a game in the arcade a lot of people can play. Whoop de doo. I'm just a mean and bitter person though.

Alot of people can play alot of games. And it didn't come out all of a sudden. For example, the newest DDR arcade Supernova, would actually be about the 10th Mix of DDR in Japan. I've been playing since 2nd and 3rd Mix, and that was a really long time ago. And back then mostly asians were into it.(Suprise)

And I guess i'm done with that... As for me, I've played for a while. Just a regular player though... I don't want to get too serious like some people and aim for AAA and get pissed when i get one great. I just get back into it a little bit when a new mix comes out and check out all the new songs.

As for a home pad, I just bought a Cobalt Flux. Great hard pad. I heard it's supposedly one of the best. It's alright I guess. Just need a usb adaptor so i can play some SM on it.

My usual difficulties would be around 7-9 feet. That means I can do 7 8 and some 9 feet songs without needing to play the song previously. 9 and 10 songs are too hard for that.... and i don't have the patience to stay in practice mode on slowmo with clap and metronome on.

nickinerdface
06-04-2007, 03:43 AM
ANYONE WHO CAN PLAY DDR ON HEAVY MODE (THAT IS NOT ASIAN) IS OBVIOUSLY NOT A HUMAN BEING.

just sayin'.

Regex
06-04-2007, 10:33 AM
ANYONE WHO CAN PLAY DDR ON HEAVY MODE (THAT IS NOT ASIAN) IS OBVIOUSLY NOT A HUMAN BEING.

just sayin'.
Heavy mode is not that hard..

Well, it is on some songs. But a lot of songs are really easy on heavy.

GFx
06-04-2007, 10:51 AM
But people that can AAA stuff like Fascination MAXX, those people are not human beings.

[Edit]: I see I just typed that people are not human beings, which is quite paradoxal.

smile1010
06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
But people that can AAA stuff like Fascination MAXX, those people are not human beings.

[Edit]: I see I just typed that people are not human beings, which is quite paradoxal.

That seven year old..
she wasn't human.....

hitachiin
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
i love ddr! it's adicctive! i got a AAA score...once...i was playing with the song flowers by terra! i kicked my brother's butt! it was awesome!

Shia_san
06-04-2007, 09:09 PM
i would like to learn to plar ddr cuz it looks like fun. i have the game for playstation, but i dunno how do play :closedeye

Noemi Hernandez
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I am a huge DDR fan. i love the songs they play my favorite artist is smile.dk. they sing all my fave songs whenever i can dance on a ddr i look for them. i dance to the songs to much i can sing them and i bet i bug people cuz i play them so much. i love Golden Sky, and Butterfly by smile.dk of course. ^^

unspun
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I have supernova, it's fun, and I do get a workout with it, but I'm actually pretty bored with the songs already. I picked supernova because honestly, I'm NOT an American pop person, and I was told repeatedly that supernova had more jpop (which I do seem to like a little bit) but I only like about 4 or 5 of the songs total so I get bored quickly. I was thinking about getting a flip-top (since I have 2 ps2's and now a ps3) and then ordering one from Japan, I figured I'd get better music out of it, but that's more money than I'm willing to put into a game I'm sure I'll probably get bored with too.

Sampaguita
06-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I love DDR. I've met some of the nicest people while playing it... I think DDR is the only kind of dancing I can do. :laugh:

Abstract Me
06-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I like DDR. But I haven't played in so long! I used to be really into it, going to the arcade every weekend just to play it. But now I don't go anymore. And I'll really only play the arcade version. The Playstation version is not good - lack of songs, and the dance pad...worthlesssss.

nickinerdface
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Heavy mode is not that hard..

Well, it is on some songs. But a lot of songs are really easy on heavy.

you are completely insane.

Chris-san
07-01-2007, 07:27 AM
How the crap did I not see this earlier?

I can play up to any level 9 songs, and a few 10's and get at least B's. So far, songs on heavy or Oni not passed:

Paranoia Survivor Max (both modes)
Paranoia -Respect-
Any boss song from DDR SuperNOVA (AC and CS)

What's up with people saying Heavy is hard? I can AA any level 7 and nearly every 8. I've got a few AA's on level 9 under my belt...but I rarely ever play anymore. I really really wish I could get back in to it, but the lady friend doesn't like it so I try not to bore her with that every time we go to the mall.

-Kitsune-
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I play the newer DDR game, Supernova. I can get A's on challenge level but I have to put it on Cut mode (No triples). My fave songs are:

Xepher- Totch
Doll- Terra
Mugen- Terra (i think)
Rainbow Rainbow- Ryu (star)
Chaos- (dont rememebr who its by)

(should've put this in quotes..)
unspun, there are about 10 or 12 j-pop songs on there. You have to unlock a lot of them in Stellar Master Mode and buy them in the shop (which costs a LOT of points)

ParaParaJMo
07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Playing DDR on Maniac/SSR/Heavy is just something that takes time

But playing S4R (Sudden Shuffle Step Step Revolution) is a whole other story.

I started playing back in 1999. I like unified all the state DDR gatherings until 2002.

My favorite songs are the E-Rotic songs, Dam Dariam, If you were here, and Bumblebee.

MistaCloudStrife
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Good song choices. 4th Mix was my favorite.

Hitsugaya389
07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
i'm against DDR but i like SOME of the songs... My friends always gets As and Bs