PDA

View Full Version : Girl at the End Of Evangelion

MomijiTMO
04-03-2007, 07:21 AM
So who do you believe was lying with Shinji at the closing scene of Evangelion. It was mainly Asuka but had Rei's bandages and Misato's eyes?

What could all this mean?

Hellsing-Rules
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
thats a good point idk i think its Asuka but u never know

MomijiTMO
04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah but somehow, when Shinji rejected the instrumentality (and denied humans to evolve) Asuka appeared next to him. Could she have also rejected the collective evolution, or is she there because Shinji wishes her to be so.

Asuka is Shinji's romantic figure, Rei is a motherly figure to him, and Misato was also a authoritative image to him, so would it be absurd to suggest that the being next to him was what he saw to be the perfect woman?

Hamashimura
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
MomijiTMO got the point...
It is indeed possible that this person was something like perfect woman^^

Quik
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM
So who do you believe was lying with Shinji at the closing scene of Evangelion. It was mainly Asuka but had Rei's bandages and Misato's eyes?

What could all this mean?It was Asuka. The bandages were there because earlier in the movie she got her aim split by the Lance of Longinus along with an eye injury. Her eyes are blue. Rei herself briefly showed up in that scene above the ocean. Rei, Asuka, and Shinji all made an appearance in the final scene.

Love<3 ProFUSION~
04-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Quik is right, the girl at the end of The End of Evangelion was without a doubt Asuka. Like Quik said, the bandages coincide with Asuka's injuries and Asuka's eyes were confirmed to be blue, by the creator(s).

Darknemo2000
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, her eyes are blue... The colour looks different only because of shading, as it was said before, it was confirmed officially too, so such discussion who was the girl lying with Shinji in the end looses all its purpose...As the answer is rather plain and obvious - it was Asuka. The one and only, and not some mix of Asuka, Misato and Rei, no matter how symbolic or nice it would be.

MomijiTMO
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Waaahhh but what if. . . .Oh well it appears that I got ahead of myself here. Thanks for the imput guys.

mythroch
04-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Yes, her eyes are blue... The colour looks different only because of shading, as it was said before, it was confirmed officially too, so such discussion who was the girl lying with Shinji in the end looses all its purpose...As the answer is rather plain and obvious - it was Asuka. The one and only, and not some mix of Asuka, Misato and Rei, no matter how symbolic or nice it would be.

Hold on, Hold on, but we love symbolism. you will note that Asuka's badages are exactly tha same as rei's when shinji first saw her. and i have the movie in still right now so i can garentee her eyes are brown.
Hell even the ADR directors on the comentatry think its a mashing of all three. Though I admit her response when she woke up was very Asuka.

Off topic: Asuka, rei and misato were supposed to represent three diffrent aspects of woman.
In Asuka there's the fiery,pushy type that really has security issues and need to be loved or at least acknowleged by those they have around them (We all know at least one, you know who you are :glare:)
Rei represented a more reserved, obedient woman. (far more rare nowdays, though it was the general attitude encoraged in women a century ago.) fun for some i'm sure but a little dull im my opinion.
Misato was the mothering figure (though she did it badly, so rei sometimes get mixed into this image.) but that was just an exajurated depiction of any parent. because after all, who feels confident about raising another human being. especialy one who isn't exactly like you (Or is exactly like you for that matter.) and her concen for shinji as well as Asuka was that of a parent more than a boss.

Back on topic: so I guess a melding of the three was inevitable, especially from shinji's view point, since there were parts about all of them that he did like as well as didn't like. and since he was practically god at that point he had the option. (after all, its easier to strangle one than three.)
which was probably his final statement of rejction to all things woman. but if this was true i'm wondering why he stopped and/or why Kwoaru wasn't beside him instead.:unsure:

AngelQueen17
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
I believe Asuka is the one who was the perfect woman!! XD

Antares
04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
As was said before, Asuka was the one with Shinji at the end of the movie. The bandages: she was hurt. The eyes: because the light of the moment, it was kind of redish so her eyes appeared to be brown, but they're blue. As for the symbolism, I know we all wish for the creators to just make a conference or something and finally explain all the loose ends. But that's the beauty of Evangelion lol the loose ends. Why Asuka was the one? It's a nice question, so I'm going to give it a go and try to explain what I believe:

Evangelion's main characters are Shinji, Asuka and Rei and, funny enough, they're representations of Sigmund Freud's "Structural Theory". This theory says that the ego, the id and the super ego mediates among themselfs and the external world. "Its task is to find balance between primitive drives, morals and reality while satisfying the id and super ego." Quote from Wikipedia.

- The Id: Represented by Asuka. The id is the reason for human drive and Freud also said that it has to do with the libido. It's in conflict with the super ego, like a counter part.

- The Ego: Represented by Shinji. It's the part of the mental structure that chooses. Its mision is to regulate the id and the super ego. The ego it's also the part of the structure that faces reality.

- The Super Ego: Represented by Rei. It is said to be the representation of cultural or family regulation. It always demands to do the "right" thing.

Now, it's really obvious to see the motives why Asuka hates Rei so much. Rei is always doing the "right" thing (orders from Gendou or what not) and is willing to sacrifice herself if it's needed. While Asuka does things because she wants to. Shinji has the (bad)luck to be the guy who needs to choose between them. During the series we see that he might have feelings for Rei, but in the movie is clear that at the end he wants to be with Asuka (the hospital scene, a call to libido; the final scene of the movie, a call to human drive), in other words, he chooses the Id, he chooses Asuka (at least unconsciously). Since he rejected Instrumentality, he also choosed the Id. If Instrumentality happened, it would have been the "right" thing for humanity. So, in both parts, he rejected Rei.

Lastly, while Misato would have been a choice for Shinji, she is the representation of human desire and she's only partially represented in the Structural Theory (inside the Id). Human desire is different from human drive:

Human desire: what I want for me, but for some reasons I can't get it all.
Human drive: what I'll do to please myself.

Ok, I'll stop now :redface:

paige_
04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
It was Asuka. The bandages were there because earlier in the movie she got her aim split by the Lance of Longinus along with an eye injury. Her eyes are blue. Rei herself briefly showed up in that scene above the ocean. Rei, Asuka, and Shinji all made an appearance in the final scene.

i thought it was only asuka who appeared.. i didn't know rei appeared as well

Sawada Ieyasu
05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Indeed it was Asuka. There is no denying it.

Terenin
06-09-2007, 05:59 PM
As was said before, Asuka was the one with Shinji at the end of the movie. The bandages: she was hurt. The eyes: because the light of the moment, it was kind of redish so her eyes appeared to be brown, but they're blue. As for the symbolism, I know we all wish for the creators to just make a conference or something and finally explain all the loose ends. But that's the beauty of Evangelion lol the loose ends. Why Asuka was the one? It's a nice question, so I'm going to give it a go and try to explain what I believe:

Evangelion's main characters are Shinji, Asuka and Rei and, funny enough, they're representations of Sigmund Freud's "Structural Theory". This theory says that the ego, the id and the super ego mediates among themselfs and the external world. "Its task is to find balance between primitive drives, morals and reality while satisfying the id and super ego." Quote from Wikipedia.

- The Id: Represented by Asuka. The id is the reason for human drive and Freud also said that it has to do with the libido. It's in conflict with the super ego, like a counter part.

- The Ego: Represented by Shinji. It's the part of the mental structure that chooses. Its mision is to regulate the id and the super ego. The ego it's also the part of the structure that faces reality.

- The Super Ego: Represented by Rei. It is said to be the representation of cultural or family regulation. It always demands to do the "right" thing.

Now, it's really obvious to see the motives why Asuka hates Rei so much. Rei is always doing the "right" thing (orders from Gendou or what not) and is willing to sacrifice herself if it's needed. While Asuka does things because she wants to. Shinji has the (bad)luck to be the guy who needs to choose between them. During the series we see that he might have feelings for Rei, but in the movie is clear that at the end he wants to be with Asuka (the hospital scene, a call to libido; the final scene of the movie, a call to human drive), in other words, he chooses the Id, he chooses Asuka (at least unconsciously). Since he rejected Instrumentality, he also choosed the Id. If Instrumentality happened, it would have been the "right" thing for humanity. So, in both parts, he rejected Rei.

Lastly, while Misato would have been a choice for Shinji, she is the representation of human desire and she's only partially represented in the Structural Theory (inside the Id). Human desire is different from human drive:

Human desire: what I want for me, but for some reasons I can't get it all.
Human drive: what I'll do to please myself.

Ok, I'll stop now :redface:

Nice explenation. I read the Wiki files on NGE and Freud's ideas on Id, ego and super ego is well enhanced in the series, indeed you are right. But most don't see that and I had no idea before I read the info on Wikipedia, so I realized it later. That's one of the reasons I love NGE: It's so fantasticly deep, it's mind boggling to watch, and the scenes where Shinji is having... what to call it... mental struggles. Well those one had to watch hundreds of times to even begin to understand.

Nice explenation indeed, and thanks for making it.

Quik
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Hold on, Hold on, but we love symbolism.Which may be why you want to believe that Asuka, Rei, and Misato were one in the end, but they werent.

and i have the movie in still right now so i can garentee her eyes are brown.Take a look at the image without that particular lighting/shading.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p309/oikaketekite/Other/IneedYou-2.jpg

Do you see now? They are blue. It was Asuka herself at the end of the movie.

AngelQueen17
06-29-2007, 10:03 PM
*gasps* Oohhh!! So that's the whole point that Asuka's eyes aren't brown. For a second I thought members on AF were talking about Asuka's death, that she was injured by her eye, and got her hand sliced in half. Then, I read that her eyes were brown. I was wondering ("Huh? She had brown eyes at the very end of Evangelion when she was on the ground, laying with Shinji?). Apparently, her eyes are blue people. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

[[~Anemone~]]
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Like the people said in the commentaries in the movie, its a thing we may never know.

Sawada Ieyasu
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Things we never know, we soon find out. ==;

animesaint
07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I thought the ending was that Shinji accepted that everyone should have a mind that is enclosed and Rei kinda was helping him to accept it? Then Shinji and Asuka woke up on a beach? And then humans who had the will to live could come back because of the waters filled with "something". Just like at the part where Shinji kinda dissolved into "something" and then came back because he wanted to. Kinda. Thats my take on the ending. Although I saw bandages around Asuka at the end, I didn't percieve the other 2 girls havings some charateristics on Asuka.

Sawada Ieyasu
07-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Animesaint. It's called destruction and relocating! Something happened to relocate them there since after the destruction of the ..whatever that was.

deafman
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah I have a question why is asuka wearing that dress isn't that misato's?

Sawada Ieyasu
07-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I think it was her dress if I remember correctly.

Reishiro
08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Hold on, Hold on, but we love symbolism. you will note that Asuka's badages are exactly tha same as rei's when shinji first saw her. and i have the movie in still right now so i can garentee her eyes are brown.

Not sure on this, but I think that they reversed the placement on the bandages and it just increases the Rei/Asuka as opposites image.

KaiChansSaga
08-20-2007, 04:01 AM
*sigh* If any of the people who thinks it's Rei, Asuka, and Misato formed into one person you seriously didn't pay attention to the movie. It was just Asuka. She had the bandages because of her accident before smart ones and I didn't see anything that looked like Misato's. If you look Asuka has blue eyes not brown (or grey since the lighting) So it was no other person but Asuka.