PDA

View Full Version : Create a character games

Mugetsu
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I have always liked having the create your own character feature in video games. I started out changing the names of characters in RPG's. I left the name as Cloud in FFVII (I just liked the name) but you better believe that there was no one named Squall (so whack) in FFVIII.

Then I started seeing games where you could make your own character basically from scratch. So I figured, why should I score 50 points with Michael Jordan when I can do it with someone who has my name & resemblance? Why win the WWF (WWE) championship with Stone Cold or The Rock when I would make a much better champion. Why unify all of China with Cao Cao when I could personally do it better?

There are some games that I only continue to play once in a while because I can create my own character (anything with Dynasty Warriors in the title). Personally it just seems to makes me feel more involved in the game.

What's your opinion on this feature? Do you wish more games had it? Do you not like it? What are your favorite games with it? What games do you wish had it? What kind of features would you like to see your favorite create a character game add? Should I get a burger for lunch or maybe just a chicken ceasar salad?

Buruku
03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I love getting to create my own character, or customize them in some way. I agree it makes you feel more involved, it also makes me care a little more about my character. Its fun to play with your own personal little creation.

I still enjoy playing with the game's characters though.

Khanxay
03-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Such a feature is great. That's one reason most MMORPGs are what they are.

I personally love games with tons of customization, like naming your equipment, creating characters, and sometimes creating the story.

I do believe you could take a picture of yourself in one game using the EyeToy, and then use that picture as the face for a created character. Forgot what game it was though.

Mugetsu
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I do believe you could take a picture of yourself in one game using the EyeToy, and then use that picture as the face for a created character. Forgot what game it was though.

That sounds interesting. A lot of games are somewhat limited as to how much your character can actually look like you. Now you can actually use...well, you. That is great.

Thats one of the reasons that I'm seriously contemplating searching for a Wii. Aside from how insanely fun everyone says it is, I can imagine how much more fun it will be (for me anyway) to play with a created Mugetsu.

GoreDude
03-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey create a character games are awesome who wants to take over the skate world as tony hawk when you can do it as you own personal character. more games hould have it crackdown kinda has it i think.

shinobi dog
03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Make them look like your fav character like in soul caliber 3 .I made kakashi,Excel,Kos-Mos,Aisha clan clan,Hanzo Hattori(not kill bill)Dante,Al,Ed and Goku and naruto plus tons more ^_^.

Luzifer
03-21-2007, 08:17 PM
What bothers me with create a character is when people just make their favorite character from someother game they played... To me Create a Character is to let your imagination let loose, come up with someone and then forge an identity around them. Like with the SC CC i see a ton of people looking for recipes to make their favorite character rather than make up their own... i suppose one or two tribute characters is all right but any more than that and your just wasting time

But what i can't wait is an RPG whereyou create a character and then in the beginning you take a personality test and the choices you make will affect how your character acts and what lines he uses in certain situations. And eventually it can cause immense repurrcussions on the overall storyline. Rather then the random choices. That way it has the power and consistancy of a fully integrated story set up with the freedom and uniqueness a create a character, cause, as you well know, created characters almost never have any real effect on plot or if they do your restricted to one or two choices at any given point and even then only the last couple choices effect the plot (mostly just to have multiple endings without multiple plots leading up to them.

PS I found it humorous how you like the name cloud and not squall... to me Squall is a cooler name and, oddly enough, both have to do with weather.

BloodWrath
03-21-2007, 09:22 PM

You could do that in one of the (now)older tony hawk games. You could take a picture of yourself using the EyeToy, or something else, and it would use that image to create a custom face on the player's avatar.

EX Dragon
03-24-2007, 04:55 AM
I got Soul Calibur 3 you can create your own costom 10 charters for one memory card.

Searoz MacDowell
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Breaeden the game where you put your face onto a custom character was one of the Tony Hawks on PS2 I believe. You could also do it with Rainbow Six which was a good feature. Rainbow Six the only game with a create a character mode and that character has your voice because you talk with a mic. Well that I know of anyway.

But I think it such be brought into other games. Oblivion has a good create a character, Godfather has it, Saints Row and countless others. A game that takes time to let you make your own person normally turns out to be an amazing game. Simply because they have took the time and effort to allow you such a feature and it just gives you that great first impression which will make the game that much greater than it probably already is.

Create a character feature gets a thumbs up from me!

Andros36
04-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah games like that are more fun they make you use your imagination!!!!!!!

Almirith
04-04-2007, 04:30 PM
i like to create my own character, you get to give him/her more of a personality then some generic character...

Erikai
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I love making my own characters, thats the reason I'm so big on Rping. I also like to draw pictures of the characters I make. I'm still in the process of drawing a pic for my character "Erikai." I've been working on it for 3 months! :wacko:

Zero Bullets
04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I love custamizing my own charactor in games, sounds kinda sad but I usually spend at least an hour just trying to get every detail right. Some things l'd like to see more of are a wider selection of voice overs, more hairstyles (I hardly ever find a mowhawk -.-) and I'd like to see it where when they converse with your charactor they actually say there name. I hate hearing " Hello *pause* how are you?".

BiggSam
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I like creating characters...i like to make them as weird and/or outrageous as i can

in Mortal Kombat: Armagedon i made the Incredible Hulk, The Blue Man Group, Some Big Demon Guy, and finallySailor Moon (with a battle axe)

spleeee!
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
i love create a character games cause i can make the skin blue and the eyes blue and make the clothes blue and white and stuff.
(i love blue!!!!)

L337_Ninja_Girl
04-05-2007, 01:28 AM
I'd like more games to feature the whole create a character thing. I think because personally, it makes the game feel more catered to you. I like playing a character I made up cause I can be like, Yea... that's MY character... X3

Light Buster
04-06-2007, 06:59 PM
A game truley like that is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Miles Prower
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I am currently making a game called Warzone: Final assault for Flashplayer.com and Newgrounds.com. This game will feature Foxfire the Fox, Ranzick the Hedgehog, Ebony Minx and many others... Stay tuned... As I will keep you posted on this new flash game...

Red Phantoms
04-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Hmm intresting

I always like something like that like soul calibur but i prefer the RPG strategy game with this fiture and multiple ending. And its will prefect if the chara was like in MNOPG wich apperace will cange depsite the armor or weapon we used

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ROAD KID !!!!!!!!!

but too bad this fiture are so poor in graphic (In RPG)

-Batman-
04-18-2007, 01:13 AM
in Mortal Kombat: Armagedon i made the Incredible Hulk

And the games engine didn't crash?

mE.
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I like Phantasy star, its fun playing with my own character.
Plus I always make a whole team in games like Wining Eleven.

Ωmega
04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I LOVE that feature in games. This is why I usually only play Phantasy Star (in terms of RPGs) since I get to personalize my character into different categories based on my own personal skills (magic users, short distance combat, long distance combat) and then make it look however I want. It gives the player a chance to personalize the game.

mythroch
04-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I enjoy muddling around with characters as well. how ever with me its functionality over asthetisc. which is pobably why i'm a big fan of the PC mechwarrior games.
aside that fact that your a giant robot whose only poprose is to blow stuff up, I enjoy muddling around in the mech bay, making them as Kick@$$ as i can. (i was spitting fury when i found out the Xbox version didnt have this feature. after that i refused to play it.)

Mugetsu
04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I have actually bought games just to see how good their create a character system was. I found The Sims boring, but it became addictive for a while because I just had to get the next promotion t satisfy my own ego lol. It seems like rpg's do it the best. But does anyone know any good multi player action/adventure games that have that feature.

The Blue Baron
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Every create a character is inferior to the new gen. of rainbow six: vegas's face scan which is really realistic

the japanese ed gein
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
the best create a character system ever is in the elder scrolls games. Especially Obilivion, the amount of detail you can put into looks and skills is amazing. And the fact, in both, that you're not stuck with the same skills through the whole game and can take on new ones so your fighter can change over to a mage with some work ... also how opened ending and big those games are is just a nerdgasm on whole.

FaceKillah
05-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Why win the WWF (WWE) championship with Stone Cold or The Rock when I would make a much better champion.
I know what you mean. Smackdown vs Raw is just getting better and better with the customization feature. All games in general really. God... I love that feature, knowing that someone with my name OWNT some punk on a video game. xD

Gorion1928
05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I personally love the ability to create and ultra custmize characters. Hell, I even have a trio of charecters on Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivian that looks like some of my friends and family! But in some cases the ability to customize a character wouldn't work. Just try to imagine if they tried to allow you to play a series like Halo, Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear or any of the others out there with an established character line up, and let you have your way with the main protagonists. Not pretty. In all, the ability to ultra customize a character from the ground up works best on games where your person starts the game off as an unknown, even if they are surrouded by established personalities.

razzen88
05-12-2007, 08:23 PM
sometimes its fun to create your own little person. From all the time it takes to create the character, you bond with them.

But other times its nice NOT to take an hour creating the perfect character and just going with what the good developers made^^

Anime is poison
05-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Well, I suppose that it is a nice feature. I don't mind making my own character on wrestling games regardless of how time consuming it is, since I can make my own strategies on what moves I want and how to make it easier for me to win. Sports games I don't really care much since at the end of the day, I can always have Randy Moss catch a TD for me, lol. Along with Dynasty Warriors...which will bring me to my next tiny flaw in it.

Although you can make your own character, you can't get into very much detail (maybe 4 or 5 options for Dyasty Warriors 4). At the end of the day, I can BARELY make a character that looks cooler than Xiahou Dun or Lu Bu, or even Ma Chao. But hey...the option is there, right?

I like creating characters, I won't lie. The detailed character designs for previous THPS and Smackdown! games were unreal. Even that one Mortal Kombat game (mighta been Shaolin Monks but don't quote me) offered quite a bit of customization. I personally think every game should at least give you the option to make your own character, just to add some personality to the games. The age where we just sit back and let the designers determine the single image of a character we use is over. No more alternate costumes to suit our needs! We want full customation baby, lol.:D

Eternal Dream
06-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I like to do my character!!!
It's so nice!!!
Mainly in RPG!!!
U can choice the clothes, hair, colors...
8D~~

Elena
06-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I enjoy making my own characters, but I don't spend too long doing it.

I was playing Oblivion (I think) on the Xbox 360 last week with a friend. Usually I like to create characters in my resemblance, whereas the challenge in this game was to try an create a character that was vaguely attractive. After spending over an hour trying and eventually just giving up I don't think I'll bother creating my in game characters again.

razzen88
06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
I like to do my character!!!
It's so nice!!!
Mainly in RPG!!!
U can choice the clothes, hair, colors...
8D~~

yeah, it gets really addicting too^^

Faceless111
06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Yes, I love creating my own characters too. I like to make mini-me's or creating ultra-me's or, when I'm bored, creating ugly-me's.

masterm
06-10-2007, 10:18 AM
hehehe have any of you played tony hawks underground

unspun
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I love character customization. I'm a sims addict, because of all of the customizable features in it, especially the PC version because you are able to download more content (or make it yourself using software like milkshape) but that's not me. I downloaded that program and did a big HUH. Yep, I download and that's as far as that goes LOL. Fable was nice for that too, though it was a little short, so not much room to expand in that area. Character customization really is an awesome feature for any video game.

Mugetsu
06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
There should be a way to create a character that you can use in any game. Like you can use the system/console to create one universal character that can be put into any game. That way you don't have to re-create for every game and you can edit that character from time to time so that your not stuck with the same one.

Gaarademon
06-27-2007, 06:53 PM
wwe oblivion dynasty warriors are my favorite games where you can create your own person

Dragonshaz
07-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Lets,yes i wish there was a game that i can create my own characters,i love creating stuff,im not saying there isnt but but if there was one game that you can completely change everything it would be great.

Saiyan Destroyer
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
What's your opinion on this feature? Freaking Sweet to quote Peter Griffin

Do you wish more games had it? Yes. I much rather play as AJ Styles and win the WHC on Smackdown than I would like playing Rey Mysterio Jr. Don't get me wrong, I love Rey Rey but he's rather hard to play.

Do you not like it? Umm YEAH I think I answered this already

What are your favorite games with it? Wrestling Games, World of Warcraft.

What games do you wish had it? .HACK//FRAGMENT, Kingdom Hearts

What kind of features would you like to see your favorite create a character game add? Able to make a few real world people, scars for the face to make people like Paragus or Squall/Seifer, scars on the chest to make people like Sabu (The Homicidal, Suicidal and Genocidal SA-BU!), or even extra costums and advanced colour changing to make like Teknoman or such.

Should I get a burger for lunch or maybe just a chicken ceasar salad? You eat the cat poop on the salad, I'll give you a steak and a burger.

Anpan Hayase
07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I think all games should let you make your own charater.