PDA

View Full Version : Does Video games Improve your reflex's

shinobi dog
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
So do you think that video games improve your reflex's.Well for me 50-50.

Astalle
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Actually, for me it has. I see papers fall off desks sometimes at school and I just almost instantly catch them XD

-Batman-
03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, maybe if you play the Wii or DDR for 8 hours a day.

But it's doubtful with anything else. When you're playing a video game, you're hardly moving any muscles (Unless you're like...EXXTTTRREEEEMMMEE). How are your reflexes being improved when you aren't DOING anything?

Khanxay
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Nah. Although a few games at the arcade do require you to react quickly. Mainly the point and shoot games. (Then that random innocent lady come out and you quickly shoot her and then it's gameover! -Sign- ... I've done that so many times. )

Ichiro Matsuchani
03-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I really doubt that it would effect your reflexes, though I do think it has helped me with one thing; percussion. As weird as that sounds, a lot of drumming has a lot to do with the coodination of the fingers. Otherwise, I don't think that gaming really has any other kind of positive effects.

I played a game of laser tag; I was able to react faster than everyone else, had the highest score, and had the highest accuracy. Do I thank video games for that? Nope.

Regex
03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Actually, to all you doubters, yes, you can train your reflexes.
Most video games do not help you with physical reflexes necessarily, but mental reflexes are just as useful in many situations (i.e. driving cars)

shinobi dog
03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Actually, to all you doubters, yes, you can train your reflexes.
Most video games do not help you with physical reflexes necessarily, but mental reflexes are just as useful in many situations (i.e. driving cars)

So playing video games since I was 5 was a kinda of a good move :laugh:.Thank you Regex.

Buruku
03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
I know that when it comes to shooters my reaction time is balls. In situations where an enemy pops up behind a corner I'm always surprised and my 'reflexes' pause, I also rarely play those types of games. so maybe playing them more would improve that.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
03-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe for me but I'm not so good in a lot of games. I'm not sure games will help improve my reflexes by much.

masterm
03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
well i dont know about reflex but i have realy good muscles in my hand i can even flex...a little the bad news is that sometimes my thumb itches...i have played video games since i was around 5

Mugetsu
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Physically...no.
Mentally...depending on the type of game you play you may be quicker to adapt to things that you see and recognize changes. Some games require quick thinking and mental reaction so in that sense they may actually help.

氷の動物
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I would say it helps with mental reflexes and problem solving abilities... depending on the game your playing but almost all of them include some form of problem solving (even FPSs require you to consider where to shoot from, when to move, who to shoot first, etc.)

Also I've noticed that games improve hand-eye coordination as they require you at perform tasks with your hands while viewing a screen (this seems most obvious when playing say a platformer which requires the player to make accurate predictions in their heads of how far to jump and control the character accordingly).

Also I would say that learning certain skills from video games isn't out of the question either as I would say that playing a driving game, while not exactly like the real thing can teach you some of the basics of controlling a car. Plus, many types of simulations are used in the professional medical field for training surgeons and doctors on how to do complex procedures; such as ones that need to be done using tiny robotic arms and cameras. Not to mention flight simulators have been used to train pilots for a very long time.

The Blue Baron
03-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Yes, it has improved my reflexes greatly also my hand eye coordinaton...

Light Buster
03-19-2007, 11:00 AM
50-50.

Here's how to improve your reflexes:

1) Skip breakfeast, lunch, and dinner. (Eat a little snake)

2) Play DDR 24/7. (Better than just exercise/diet alone)

mythroch
04-19-2007, 09:31 AM
with video games it's all about hand-eye co-ordination. in that regards it improves your reflexes incredibly. however, if your unfit cause you spend your days in front of a screen then that aint gonna help you in the real world.
i have found that FPS's are the best, because of the reaction speeds required for the intense ones...read F.E.A.R. (plus they smack your adrenaline tolarences into astonomical values.)

Gintara
04-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I think it depends on what you're playing to me.

BiggSam
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Halo 2 with 16 people on rockets in foundation will improve your reflexes ^^

Nerojuno
04-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I say yes it does improve your reflexes

GaiSensei
04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
YES. Yes they do. =]

Video games saved my life. My reflexes have become so rapid that I am able to dodge bullets now ^.^

ishakak
04-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes, vedio games do improve your reflexes. I am able to beat up ppl easyer at school. JK
I think that vedio games improve your mental reflexes but maybe not your physical reflexes. maybe just your fingers. Playing the wii for hours - inmy oppinion- really improves your reflexes. Trust meh! <_<

Almirith
04-20-2007, 11:01 PM
i have good mental reflexes and i can move my hands faster and beat my friends when we sword fight

Toastie
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Never thought about it actually. I know my thumbs became amazinly supple after completing DMC3 on Dante Must Die mode, but thats about it. I now endevour to play the Wii as much as possible and test this out :rolleyes:

Lightgun games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead might.

Hamashimura
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Does video games improve my reflexes?
Hm...let's see...
I'm faster with fingers,but I dont count that in reflex...
Then again,it ruins my eyes...
So,they dont improve my reflexes,infact,they're destroying my vision...

rpgsan
04-24-2007, 03:26 AM
It has, definitely !

Kishiro
04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Three words...

Ninja Gaiden Black

Play that game on Very Hard or Master Ninja Mode (NGB only), and tell me you don't play games faster and better that are similar. Go back and play normal mode and see how you tear through it in about 10-15 hours worth of time.

One of the biggest surprises was that I was playing this game at the game time I was playing Fable: Lost Chapters and Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Neither one of those games is known for difficulty, but man, was I amazed at how much easier they seemed playing again after beating Ninja Gaiden on harder difficulties.

And why? Because that game hones your timing and reflexes to a science almost. With as fast as the enemies come at you in sudden bursts and packs of at least 3, and how hard they hit, you can't afford to take damage in that game. So having reflexes and timing is key to beating it.

maximillian_cross
04-24-2007, 07:52 AM
I guess so. It does help improve my reflex. Only mentally though, not physically.

bug
04-27-2007, 11:19 PM
It helps me both physically and mentally. Physically because, well, I could move my fingers much quicker which helps with typing, and mentally because, well, I could think of plans fast.

Ange
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I guess. But I think, for a mind like mine, I still have to make myself used to a situation before I could actually use my sharp reflexes.
Does that make sense?

kenji174
05-17-2007, 04:42 AM
definetly improved mine. I can tell because I can write on a keyboard faster than when I first used one.

Ichiro Matsuchani
05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
definetly improved mine. I can tell because I can write on a keyboard faster than when I first used one.

Physically because, well, I could move my fingers much quicker which helps with typingThose are not reflexes. Those are just physical traits.

Ninja Gaiden Black

Play that game on Very Hard or Master Ninja Mode (NGB only), and tell me you don't play games faster and better that are similar. Go back and play normal mode and see how you tear through it in about 10-15 hours worth of time.
That game damn near drove me insane after dying over and over again on the hardest difficulties. To the point where I would pull off the greatest gaming cliche; throwing my controller out of frustration.

But again, it's honing your mental reflexes, not physical.

Anime is poison
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Guitar Hero has bettered my reflexes a bit. It kills my fingers, but it definetly seemed to help even with other games (it kinda happens when you have notes fly at you at a blazing speed, lol)

Gaarademon
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Guitar Hero has bettered my reflexes a bit. It kills my fingers, but it definetly seemed to help even with other games (it kinda happens when you have notes fly at you at a blazing speed, lol)
I agree with him with guitar hero. ever since i started playing that game ive been able to type, and play other games faster i love that game

Infinita
05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, my fingers are always stiff when i try to write an article but, i fine i'm much more aware and alert. I have a quicker reaction time. ^^

razzen88
05-26-2007, 10:52 PM
ah heck no. Well unless you include lightning fast thumbs

The Nightingale
05-29-2007, 09:19 AM
i also think 50-50 for me. i playt Dance Dance Revolution alot and now im more alert, and my fingers are weay fast when i type and stuff

unspun
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
probably your hand eye coordination. I can't see it improving much of anything else. Maybe your focus, but that's a large maybe

Neal Raven
05-29-2007, 02:25 PM
it does make your reflexes faster but only for the game you're playing
it also improves your other reflexes and especially hand eye coordination but to a very small extend

i saw this in my biology class so apparentely its proven, also seems logical to me

Sword
07-19-2007, 07:01 PM
They do not. I think thats just something that gamers WANT to beleive in order to add to the conscious list of "things to say when our parents tells us we should play less games" that we must have at the ready at all times...

Bucky Katt
07-19-2007, 07:12 PM
My right thumb is faster than my other fingers thanks to the 'A' button on the GameCube controller. =D

Zanethose
07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Im gonna have to go ahead and give that one a big no. If they did, i would have some of the best reflexes on the planet, and i hate to say it, but i definently do not xD

-Id-
08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
yep trust me........u could see things comin at u better but the only thing is that can u react to it fast enough

Skeith/Haseo Wave
08-03-2007, 11:43 AM
It would...you played DDR Extreme with the dance pad...dancing to Maximizer on Heavy mode with 8X speed....getting an A.