PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Voices of a Distant Star

charizardpal
03-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I've seen a lot of positive reviews on Voices of a Distant Star but I personally found the anime rather boring and over-rated. :closedeye Am I simply missing something? Lets discuss this anime...

Assassin miyuki
03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I agree voices of a distant star was ok but it wasen't really to my likeing. but i didn't hate it. it just wasen't as they say it was.

manslayer101
03-16-2007, 07:47 PM
i thought it was a pretty good anime, ****(four star) anime in my opinion, considering that one guy made it himself, it had very good cg work

Mister_manji
03-17-2007, 06:38 AM
his other work, The Place Promised in our Early Days, was a complete tearjerker, and so was Hoshi no Koe

sa5m
03-17-2007, 08:01 AM
his other work, The Place Promised in our Early Days, was a complete tearjerker, and so was Hoshi no Koe

Oh my goodness, The Place Promised in Our Early Days was such a nice movie...

I've heard of Voices of a Distant Star, but I'm not really into it. Could someone give me a quick summary? XD

mythroch
03-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Oh my goodness, The Place Promised in Our Early Days was such a nice movie...

I've heard of Voices of a Distant Star, but I'm not really into it. Could someone give me a quick summary? XD

Boy and a girl are in love ( of course), Aliens are invading (inevitably). girl becomse a giant mecha pilot and boy and girl get seperated (just as inevitably.) what comes after is the prossess of the girl going through training on jupiter, Or was that one of the moons....?
anyway, she eventally gets assigned to a battle group on a carrier and the war takes her further and further from earth.

All through the movie the narations are of the two of them exchanging messages via SMS. the problem however is that as the girl moves further away from earth the time it takes for the messges to reach the other person takes longer. eventaully the carrier jumps out of the solar system and the messages then take eight years to travel. (some of those later messages really get to you.)
i won't tell you about the ending. you really have to see it. explaining doesn't really do it justice.
though this explaination took almost as long as the movie did. (Proverbialy speaking.) at thirty minutes in length its relativly short.

the first time i watched it i was bitterly dissapointed with it, but a couple of months later i watched it again and it didn't seem so bad.
i think the major issue is with it was it's length. not the fact that it was thirty minutes long but the fact that considering the content it should have been longer. it had a sense of being rushed, like it was running along at a forced pace. a slower rate, in my opion would not have detracted from the atmosphere of the movie, it may have even added to it. and it would have also given Makoto the oportunity to include things that would have widened the fanbase. ( i.e. More Mecha battles, side romances, political intrigue, and of course alien interaction.)

i think think this one's defiantly series worthy. if only for the fact that it could do a lot of things that would apeal to a wider audience and not loose any of the feel that makes it so great.

before you remind me, i understand that to make a decent series cost moola, probably more than Makoto Shinkai could produce at the time, and in that industry you have to have a name before your sponsored. but he defiantly has a name now.

if it ever does come out as a series i'd be one of the first (in Australia, since it'd be on the shelf in america for about six months before i even see it.) to give it a shot.
hear that Gonzo? Buy the licence so we can watch it as it was ment to be. (but keep the animation style. It was Gorgeous.)

F.Y.I.
Escaflowne had a series and a movie
blue gender had a series and a move
Evangelion had a a series and a movie that while was on roughly the same timeline made absoluitly no sense unless you watched the series. after that it just confused you.
(The End of Evangelion was better than Death and Rebirth)

MomijiTMO
03-31-2007, 06:51 AM
I love this anime. The people who like it (like me) see it as a tragedy; that the girl goes of to fight for her boyfriend but ends up loosing him to time anyway. It was especially moving when realising how long the messages took to travel to Earth, and you could see that the guy had already moved on with his life, yet he receives these painful reminders of his past.

My friend and I cried for hours.

chappie1989
04-23-2007, 02:47 AM
It is a sad anime but good. I like this anime.
If you have not seen it try it you might end up liking it.

AzumiSakura
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
the Anime is ok but i love the song... ^^;

booklover0226
05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
I love this anime. The people who like it (like me) see it as a tragedy; that the girl goes of to fight for her boyfriend but ends up loosing him to time anyway. It was especially moving when realising how long the messages took to travel to Earth, and you could see that the guy had already moved on with his life, yet he receives these painful reminders of his past.

My friend and I cried for hours.

I agree. I cried the last 15 minutes of the movie. I was a complete mess! :(

Shotel
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
The fact that this movie was made by one person is impressive enough for me.

mastercane
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
did not know that it was made by 1 person but the animation is great

Noa Izumi
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
it was beautiful..
they got gunbuster's idea of long distance..(time) traveller..

Raining Sorrow
06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
It's by far my favorite anime movie... (sorry Hayou Miyazaki)...

It really is tragic. It's all about how far you'll go for someone you love... And how long you can be apart from them and still feel about them the same as though you were with them. Mikako and Noburo's love withstood time and space, as well as other trials and hardships. Their connection was never really lost. Hoshi no Koe was inspirational and full of romance and longing. I loved it...

'Cha ga nurui T_T
07-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought the rushed and short feel of the anime was an integral and important part of it's message. Loved every second of it; very moving and makes you think.

Knightmare
07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
This was a good show and very tragic I enjoyed it a great deal, though it was very short that was my only complaint.

Velvet_Nightmare
07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I enjoyed Voices of a Distant Star, though it didn't make me cry.

ste-v-o
09-21-2007, 04:32 AM
its thought provoking, because it's only short the point of the movie is more apparent x

BlackDragon939
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
The concept was simple yet impactful. It definitely gets to the heart if you're willing to accept the fact that there are no ninja in it.