PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Wallpaper

Takashi MoonBlade Wielder
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I flexed my photoshopping muscles this time.. This was done with a few highly advanced techniques.

Surely someone wants to comment........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/CloudXII/DarkCloudStrife.jpg

Thornwillow
12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Do you still run a 800x600 screen resolution? Well, I guess some people do. >_> Just wanted to leave a comment on your wallpaper.

What I do like about your wallpaper is it looks like this dude is walking in front of a building, it's dark and spooky and scary, and suddenly this hole is ripped from the inside! and AAHHHAH! PWNed. o_o No, just kidding, but that's what it looks like.

The thing I don't like is the text. The overlay gradient you have on it, if that is a gradient overlay, really doesn't compliment the wallpaper, and it messes up with the consistency. I actually would of left the text off all together and just added your name in the corner in a san-serif font and about 10 pts. :D Um, you should make it bigger too. I wouldn't make any wallpapers lower than 1024 x 768 because that's the normal resolution for most screens.

So hopefully that helps. :)

12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Do you still run a 800x600 screen resolution? Well, I guess some people do. >_> Just wanted to leave a comment on your wallpaper.

What I do like about your wallpaper is it looks like this dude is walking in front of a building, it's dark and spooky and scary, and suddenly this hole is ripped from the inside! and AAHHHAH! PWNed. o_o No, just kidding, but that's what it looks like.

The thing I don't like is the text. The overlay gradient you have on it, if that is a gradient overlay, really doesn't compliment the wallpaper, and it messes up with the consistency. I actually would of left the text off all together and just added your name in the corner in a san-serif font and about 10 pts. :D Um, you should make it bigger too. I wouldn't make any wallpapers lower than 1024 x 768 because that's the normal resolution for most screens.

So hopefully that helps. :)

Ill switch it out with the 1024px when im not too lazy to do so.

Thank you for the comment. I am going to take your advice and do that.

However its supposed to look dark and scary, sorta like the evil version of cloud.

I merged 2 pictures to look like one and left his shoulder so you would notice.

Edit:

Yes thats a gradient overlay.

I <3 the gradient tool.

Edit#2:

Edited according to your wishes :)

It won't let me post the bigger version and im too lazy to add it as an attachment so sorry.

Princess Minako
12-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't feel like it has a purpose. It looks like you just piled on a bunch of layer masks on top of one another and did an invert on the main picture.

What is your main focus of the wall? To improve I'd say extract cloud totally, leave him as is, and add layers if you want him darkened. It just feels cluttered to me.

12-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't feel like it has a purpose. It looks like you just piled on a bunch of layer masks on top of one another and did an invert on the main picture.

What is your main focus of the wall? To improve I'd say extract cloud totally, leave him as is, and add layers if you want him darkened. It just feels cluttered to me.

Excuse me? Don't assume you know what I did. I did not invert anything. I colored his face with pure skill. I don't need any filters to do things like that. Second of all there is an extremely easy way to darken someones face with a single layer. If you had any photoshop knowledge at all you would know that that was the linear burn/brush tool.

The main focus is "dark cloud" or "evil cloud"

In other words I was attempting to make cloud look evil.

How dare you assume you know what I did and it makes me angry because you're actually WAY OFFFFFF...

Uhhh ooohhh... here comes deadpool to bad mouth me

Princess Minako
12-08-2006, 10:30 PM
LOL, you're right I have no photoshop knowledge at all.

When I say "focus" I mean what part of that square do you want people to focus on, to see, right now I see the sword, thats it. Cloud is lost in a sea of layers that have no cohesion to them.

Thanks for the good laugh about my photoshop knowledge tho ^^

Can't wait til my slaves see this!

12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
LOL, you're right I have no photoshop knowledge at all.

When I say "focus" I mean what part of that square do you want people to focus on, to see, right now I see the sword, thats it. Cloud is lost in a sea of layers that have no cohesion to them.

Thanks for the good laugh about my photoshop knowledge tho ^^

Can't wait til my slaves see this!

Well you did call my brushwork an invert.

That alone proves that you pretend to see what people do.

But then again with the two images merged it kinda looks like an invert.

Furthermore: I have seen you comment people with very little experience and not diss their work.

Go find the original picture on google and you will see how much I changed it -.-

Princess Minako
12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
only because I've used photoshop since 1998, and am no novice when it comes to the program. Maybe you should research some of the work I've done before accusing me of not knowing anything.

All you have around cloud are several layers with layer masks. Its distracting, it has no main focus of the wall. When people look at it, they will focus probably around clouds mouth to sword, which isn't really where you want them to look.

You have an idea, but I think its more like this (http://www.animegalleries.net/img/250272) A FANTASTIC Ergo Proxy wall done by LavaBug. But you'll see that the main focus is right ON the character instead of lost in the middle. And each part has a purpose rather than just piled ontop of one another.

12-08-2006, 10:39 PM
only because I've used photoshop since 1998, and am no novice when it comes to the program. Maybe you should research some of the work I've done before accusing me of not knowing anything.

All you have around cloud are several layers with layer masks. Its distracting, it has no main focus of the wall. When people look at it, they will focus probably around clouds mouth to sword, which isn't really where you want them to look.

You have an idea, but I think its more like this (http://www.animegalleries.net/img/250272)A FANTASTIC Ergo Proxy wall done by LavaBug. But you'll see that the main focus is right ON the character instead of lost in the middle. And each part has a purpose rather than just piled ontop of one another.

Thats a good wallpaper. I never said mine was the best.

PS: I did not use a single "layer mask"

It would seem the more you try to predict me the less I am impressed.

Infact 99 percent of it is brushes.

When I said Advanced Wallpaper I was talking about how I used the brushes.

All you people do is get into arguements with me.......................................

I know you're still here planning your next assault on me -.-

Princess Minako
12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
My goal is not to "impress" you its an attempt to improve your wallpaper. But if you won't listen to me fine. You're pressing against me because I said something negative. I'll let MuZ0NaZ, LavaBug, or The Wizzard come in and tell you exactly what I did.

your focus is off, its not where it should be. I'm telling you that hiding Cloud under all that isn't doing you any favors. You need to put him on top like the Ergo Proxy one. When you look at that the first thing you see is the characters eyes, then the rest, the gun and THEN the background. Yours is the background first, then the mouth/sword then you attempt to figure out the rest.

Great wallpapers grab your attention at the character first, then you take in the background. Stop hiding "cloud" and let him out to play.

12-08-2006, 10:51 PM
My goal is not to "impress" you its an attempt to improve your wallpaper. But if you won't listen to me fine. You're pressing against me because I said something negative. I'll let MuZ0NaZ, LavaBug, or The Wizzard come in and tell you exactly what I did.

your focus is off, its not where it should be. I'm telling you that hiding Cloud under all that isn't doing you any favors. You need to put him on top like the Ergo Proxy one. When you look at that the first thing you see is the characters eyes, then the rest, the gun and THEN the background. Yours is the background first, then the mouth/sword then you attempt to figure out the rest.

Great wallpapers grab your attention at the character first, then you take in the background. Stop hiding "cloud" and let him out to play.

You say great wallpapers like theres standards for a great wallpaper.

"great" wallpaper is an opinion.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder im afraid.

Princess Minako
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
alright, be my guest

www.animepaper.net

go there, sign up an account and submit your wallpaper. Thats where its at hon. See if they accept your wallpaper into the gallery. They'll let you know whats good or not. Go right ahead and see if you've got what it takes.

-Batman-
12-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Uhhh ooohhh... here comes deadpool to bad mouth me

Actually, I was looking at the topic and was simply observing, I just wondered off to do something else. But since you put out the bait, I might as well bite.

Before I saw the filename, I couldn't even tell what the hell I was looking at. You didn't make cloud look evil in any way, you simply made him un-noticable. All you see is half his hair, his shoulder, and part of his sword. It what way does he look evil? When you actually have to sit down and explain the emotion or feel being portrayed, you've failed.

Furthermore: I have seen you comment people with very little experience and not diss their work.

Thats because the less experienced people tend to be less arrogant about the quality of their work. Most inexperienced users tend to simply ask how they may improve, or what aspects of a peice to keep. You however, seem to think very highly of yourself and your abilities with the program. So if YOU think so highly of your work, why shouldn't we?

All you people do is get into arguements with me.......................................

That is because all you do is complain and insult people. You also have a very self-absorbed, rude and arrogant attitude. Look at the post your desktop topic. You made a comment about everyone elses wallpapers not being as "Elite" as yours, a wallpaper you yourself made. Arrogant.
Or the picture threads, where all you do is insult members...Remember this comment directed at Myyra's photo?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:banghead:
Rude.
Pay to post forum?
"Do you hate retards? I know I do"
Flat out immature.

12-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Actually, I was looking at the topic and was simply observing, I just wondered off to do something else. But since you put out the bait, I might as well bite.

Before I saw the filename, I couldn't even tell what the hell I was looking at. You didn't make cloud look evil in any way, you simply made him un-noticable. All you see is half his hair, his shoulder, and part of his sword. It what way does he look evil? When you actually have to sit down and explain the emotion or feel being portrayed, you've failed.

Thats because the less experienced people tend to be less arrogant about the quality of their work. Most inexperienced users tend to simply ask how they may improve, or what aspects of a peice to keep. You however, seem to think very highly of yourself and your abilities with the program. So if YOU think so highly of your work, why shouldn't we?

That is because all you do is complain and insult people. You also have a very self-absorbed, rude and arrogant attitude. Look at the post your desktop topic. You made a comment about everyone elses wallpapers not being as "Elite" as yours, a wallpaper you yourself made. Arrogant.
Or the picture threads, where all you do is insult members...Remember this comment directed at Myyra's photo?

Rude.
Pay to post forum?
"Do you hate retards? I know I do"
Flat out immature.

dude.. don't ever post in my threads again. Especially since you hate me

Maybe your graphics card sucks.. but on my computer his face is the first thing I notice...

kyubichan
12-09-2006, 02:14 AM
I don't see Cloud...I like the thing you did with the background, but it ended up looking like a foreground instead >.< Also... I don't see Cloud, wouldn't have know twas Cloud if you didn't say it was.

Capernicus
12-09-2006, 02:27 AM
I barely recognized him because of his hair. You are really stupid TMW. It DOES just look like a mess of black and grunge. I don't know why you think it's elite.

And as for the stupid people thread in P2P....look in a mirror.

12-09-2006, 02:34 AM
ok fine w/e I don't care.

Capernicus if you don't like me then don't comment........

Capernicus
12-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Obviously you do care because you're still posting. >.>

kyubichan
12-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Capernicus if you don't like me then don't comment........

Why tell someone that? So what if she doesn't like you? What do you want, all praises? Then put your work somewhere else, then just put a link on your siggy that says "All who like me, comment on my work."

Still, I don't see Cloud. Maybe you can do something about the lighting?

wizz-o-matic
12-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Accepting criticism is a virtue, rejecting it and being self centered is idiocy ;)

Anyway, this thread made my day ...

Fiery
12-09-2006, 04:14 AM
Accepting criticism is a virtue, rejecting it and being self centered is idiocy ;)

Anyway, this thread made my day ...

This thread makes me sick, Wizzy. Takashi What's-Your-Face, you are the POSTERCHILD for DeviantArt.

I'm SURE you'll fit in there. Lots of suck-ups and spineless jellyfish to crawl around and idolize you.

LavaBug
12-09-2006, 04:20 AM
to be honest, i did not even realise there&#180;s a guy in this wallpaper until people started talking about him and even then i needed some third and fourth looks...oO
his face really does not stick out, and i dont even know the character thus having even more problems identifying him
maybe brightening the face a little will help with this...

since i&#180;m hungry, here&#180;s the following analogy:
making a wallpaper is kinda like cooking...having/using "good" brushes or elements of any kind is not everything...
you can have the best ingredients, but if you just pour them all into a big bowl and mix em with ketchup it&#180;ll taste like ketchup...
it&#180;s all about the right mixture/arrangement of elements...you still have to get a feeling for that imho...

kyubichan
12-09-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm SURE you'll fit in there. Lots of suck-ups and spineless jellyfish to crawl around and idolize you.

This is why I don't have a DeviantArt account. You can't improve on something if people constantly suck up to you.

making a wallpaper is kinda like cooking...

Good analogy ^^ I've just started learning Photoshop and I'll agree with that.

@Takashi

Also, unless you're going to use the wallpaper/artwork for yourself only, it's better to accept criticisms from the possible users. And even then, constructive criticisms still will help you out because some people can see things (and in the case of the Cloud wp, not see things) that you don't.
And if you don't care about other people's comments, why make a thread about it at all? Just submit it and watch it get rejected/accepted then.

-Batman-
12-09-2006, 07:22 AM
dude.. don't ever post in my threads again. Especially since you hate me

post.

And I don't hate you, I simply find you very annoying and immature. Hating you would require energy I don't feel like wasting on you.

Maybe your graphics card sucks.. but on my computer his face is the first thing I notice...[/QUOTE]

Or maybe your brightness is just unreasonably high, since no one else can see his face but you.

Nvidia GeForce 7800. Not the best out on the market, but very far from the worst.

Masali
12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
It's a problem when you have to tilt your monitor in many different directions to see any definition.

*.:Endless Sky:.*
12-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Excuse me? Don't assume you know what I did. I did not invert anything. I colored his face with pure skill. I don't need any filters to do things like that. Second of all there is an extremely easy way to darken someones face with a single layer. If you had any photoshop knowledge at all you would know that that was the linear burn/brush tool.

Yeah, and if you had any respect at all you wouldn't have said that. You're jumping the gun, hon. *that totally rhymed*

What's this I'm hearing about claiming everyone else's work isn't as "Elite" as yours? Pish posh! Let me break it to you, deary. You are not the best. With that attitude, you won't ever be. People get better by listening to others and accepting their advice. You aren't doing that. You're taking insult from the people that are trying to help you. Not to mention, as Deadpool has stated, that is very rude and immature.

If you want respect, you need to give respect. It doesn't just drop out of the sky.

I hope that was enlightening. There are many more subjects I'd like to scold you on, but that would take all day and quite frankly, my patience is just a little thinner than usual today. Take care.

EDIT: Oh, and I just had a look at your lovely signature. Look. Not everyone will bow down and say your work is the best. That's not the way life works. You talk about being yourself, yet you shut people out when they rise up and tell you how it is. What's up with THAT?

Thornwillow
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I leave a comment in here, go to work for 8 hours, come back, and I am not surprised this thread turned up this way. lol As far as my comments go, they still stand. But the sad thing is, I didn't realize that was Cloud. >_>

I thought it was some dude from one of those shooter games like Dark Planet(right title?), SOCOM, or any of those of that genre. But I looked at it and was like .. "O_o that is Cloud"

And TMW, Mina was not trying to bash your wallpaper. She was trying to give you ways to improve. You can take her advice and accept it or you can take her advice and not accept it. It's really up to you, there was no derogatory manner about it until it was turned into one. You are going to get people who will not like your work. I can promise you that.

I am one of those people that that happens too. I do some really good pieces of work, not the best by any means, but I think they're pretty to look at. But, I do get negative criticism and what do I do? I thank the person for taking the time and giving me their conscious effort to break down my wall for me and to improve it. I probably started this snowball effect, but I didn't think the wallpaper was awful. But other members brought up good points about focus. And that stuff happens. That's what these threads are made, and that's to get criticism on improve wallpapers. :)

Hopefully, this little rant on my own has helped the situation a little. >_> Just be more open-minded about your stuff. If people don't like it, then fine ... they don't like it. That's their problem, not yours. So there isn't really any need to turn it into an argument, which I wasn't surprised that that what this turned into.

-rests his fingers- I'm done now. ^_^

MuZ0NaZ
12-09-2006, 06:03 PM
If you actually were "advanced", you'd know that real grunge requires much more skill than just getting a few brushes from the net, slapping them randomly around on a cloud-filter background, adding a character scan (which was completely ruined) and calling it done. You completely drowned the character, Cloud is barely recognizable and does not look as you intended. OH NOES THAT BLOB WITH SPIKY HAIR MADE ME PISS MY PANTS !!!!11 Also, I'd like to rephrase LavaBug - walling is not about the technique alone, it's also about the concept, colour and composition.

Take off your pink glasses, forget your ego and learn to accept other opinions, "kid".

12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
you kids are gay.. Honestly why the hell do you purposely flame the **** out of me???????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

NO ONE ELSE GETS THIS BULL ****! SO **** YOU

Anyone who takes this site seriously is a little queer in real life.

I look at your pictures and all I see are stupid little geeks..

Seriously, you little queers bore me.. Thats right come act likes fags and respond to this post.

Fact is, I get laid and you jack off all day.

-Batman-
12-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Fact is, I get laid

I'm pretty sure the married members get laid more.

kyubichan
12-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Okay, I take back everything I said!

Takashi, that wallpaper looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Also, thank you for your very nice PM, I'll read it again and again for every day of my miserable life. I adore you, you rock! I'll good rep you when I can.

Yeah, and I can totally see Cloud.

Princess Minako
12-11-2006, 05:56 AM
I think its time this was closed.