PDA

View Full Version : Character Growth and how you respond to it.

Tetsanosuke
10-08-2006, 10:31 PM
As a story progresses in a video game the main character usually grows and gains more wisdom and such. When this happens, what are your thoughts? Feelings? When a character learns things and grows throughout the game, I feel like I'm the character going through his experiences and learning from them. It's a feeling of understanding that makes me feel great!

What is your favorite example of character growth?

For me, I felt empowered when the Hero of Suikoden 5 started to take a stand and be strong!

Tears of joy ran down my face when Alex and Luna both descovered their bond and love in Lunar, SSS.

When Grey in Romancing SaGa decided to take a stand against Saruin I felt like "That's right! Rip his head off Grey!"

When Kalas pushed away the darkness I was like "Welcome back you two timing bastard!" then laughed a bit.

What about you?

^^

Skyla_G
10-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I love how [these days] characters are also developing on the outside[clothes hair growth, hairstyle] But thats beside the point. I kind of get angry at myself when a character changes... because I used to think they were pitifull and worthless... and that theyd never stop crying about themselfs. I usually dont expect these people to change... but when they do... I feel happy that they dont whine so much. My favorite is Garnet from final fantasy 9.... I was like *stab stab stab* to the television screen whenever shed blame steiner or zidane >.< I think things started to change[drastically] when she cut her hair. I think she knew somewhere back in her head, that taking on the role of 'queen' is a massive responsibility. But she really begins to realize this once tantalus takes her in.

razzen88
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
if the character is well done it effects me quite a bit. some games make me cry because the characters are so believable.

in tales of destiny when leon betrayed everyone i was shocked. i felt betrayed. and when he was turned into a puppet and was begging for death i cried.

i never cry.

oh if the "begging for death" thing sounded weird play the game and you will understand

DanTheGreat
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
such "character growth" is usually accompanied by plenty of dialogue. i'm not too fond of it. makes my fingers more tired.