PDA

View Full Version : What is so great about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

かごめ
08-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Err-yeah. It's probably a really stupid question-but I want to know. I watched the entire series right through in three days-(alternate ending version included and in both English and Japanese) and I still don't see what the lure of it is.

From what I can tell the whole thing is based on finding onself, sex and religion. Not to entertaining in my opinion. So-I'll ask you guys: What is so great about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Sega saturn x
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
What is so great about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Nothing, not a thing.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Everything in the last half of the series, if you have an appreciation of psychology, and a large attention span.

Not to mention your simplification is wrong. The theme is isolation. Meaning, the self imposed isolation of the individual against society.

Zantetsuken
08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Who cares. It sucks. I don't know what the big deal is either.

Ichiro Matsuchani
08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
It actually has deep meaning to it. Yet as stated above, you have to care about the depth of the concepts to understand it.

Otherwise, the main characters a wimp, Asuka's annoying, and Rei's depressing. End of story.

Zantetsuken
08-31-2006, 08:55 PM
It's TV. Thinking is for reality.

Ichiro Matsuchani
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
It's TV. Thinking is for reality.Ever watch discovery channel? That's all I'm gonna say.

There are a lot of interesting things that is incorporated into the series of evangelion. It's a shame that no one bothers to give it a chance.

bakakame
08-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, unlike about 95% of the crap on TV today, NGE is supposed to drive a more in depth look at psycology and inspire some situational thinking.

Of course, that's all dependant on who's watching. I know of people who have watched it and loved it, and people who have watched it and hated it, all in the same general group. I was able to get our psycology teacher to approve watching a few episodes near the end of the year, some people loved it and watched the whole series, others scoffed at it. It just comes down to taste.

Luzifer
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
It depends on what your looking for. Many people come to it expecting a mech show like Gundam, and you won't find that. If your looking for nice neat little stories with no hanging thread, you won't find that. If your looking for answers to life's mysteries, you won't find that.

What you will find is a story that asks A LOT of questions. It pulls the mind in on two levels. First, it makes you ask questions on what it is to be an individual and how you relate to others. It also stimulates the mind by having a confusing stories where even at the end you are left wondering, what happened? Instead of having a world neatly served to you on a platter, cut up in ways that explain what is happening, it just dumps you into it and makes you accept it on its terms. It captivates the mind to wonder, what did this plot point mean? Where did these things come from? Instead of giving you an answer it lets you wonder.

Its like Stanley Kubrik's 2001: A Space Odyssey in some ways. You have to be willing not to understand. It's a vicious attack on a person's security in their own knowledge, and I have seen that either invigorate people to learn or to offend them in some way and arouse ire.

Manwards
09-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I love Evangelion, precisely because it isn't about mechs fighting. It's a series about accepting yourself and other people, about living in a world that isn't necessarily kind. I have a lot of parallels with Shinji Ikari. Not so much now, but I was a lot like him when I was younger. I saw a lot of myself in him, and could identify with many of his struggles, and so to me the series became far more than simple entertainment.

Even discounting the thematic aspects, though, it's still an excellent series. Great characters portrayed by a strong cast, a complex and very layered conspiracy story, some amazing battles and moments of drama and The End of Evangelion is so unorthodox and disturbing, I couldn't help but enjoy it on both a visual and cerebral level.

Finally, I love the show because of the amount of discussion it generates. I was introduced to the show by a friend, and in turn I introduced it to several other friends, and on many occasions we've stayed up into the night discussing the different themes and plot points. I've always enjoyed something that encourages you to connect the dots yourself and apply your own interpretation to the events, and Eva does that brilliantly.

Nausicaa
09-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I find that you have to be able to look at things deeper than they appear, to understand Evangelion. For example in the series, Shinji Ikari goes through things that he may not understand. But without understanding these things, he trys to figure them out, causing, what I call "mental torture". First he finally understands him self, then his friends and breaks through to understanding more than he thought. The other part of the series is focusing around the things that people torture them selfs with, inside and out. All in all I must say that I find the series to be very in tune with real life.

Slumber
09-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I personally liked it for the character development (which I thought was done pretty well, excluding the final episodes). There are better mech animes out there, in my oppinion, though (*cough*RahXephon*cough*).

Rowloman
09-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I like it as my second mech ever watching (after gundam seed i watched dat first) it's cool how they are trying to make mechs and not just start out with all powerful mechs. the art is good and the characters are likable (especialy rei) its a really great series if you watch it and understand.

.Gogo
09-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I've never watched it, but from what I can tell it's pretty decent, though there are quite a few better mech animes out there

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
I've never watched it, but from what I can tell it's pretty decent, though there are quite a few better mech animes out there
If you haven't watched it, you can't have an opinion, much less rank it against other mech anime.

Zenkinacu
09-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Yea, you need a good attintion span to accually realize what they're saying.

For one, yea, Shinji's an emo, little cry-baby wimp, because his father doesn't care about him, and his mother is dead. Goes together, eh?

Asuka can be annoying, and if you saw and heard, she only pilots the Evas so she can look good and be reconized. Similier to Shinji, both her parents hung themselves because they didn't like her daughter.

Ray isn't depressed, it's just you guys are idiots. She's a replica of Shinji's mother, and shes quite for a reason. She hasn't any family, and the closest to a family she has is Shinji (hince to Shinji's mother's DNA, if i'm correct). And the only reason the jerk, Shinji's father, hangs around and likes her so much is, you guessed it, the mother resimblance.

Sure, the last two episodes are can bore you to death, but if you understood it, it talks about that your not nothing and that someone out there in the world loves you.

So, rethink what you say about the anime.

Gizoku
09-03-2006, 02:34 AM
I love Evangelion, precisely because it isn't about mechs fighting. It's a series about accepting yourself and other people, about living in a world that isn't necessarily kind. I have a lot of parallels with Shinji Ikari. Not so much now, but I was a lot like him when I was younger. I saw a lot of myself in him, and could identify with many of his struggles, and so to me the series became far more than simple entertainment.

Even discounting the thematic aspects, though, it's still an excellent series. Great characters portrayed by a strong cast, a complex and very layered conspiracy story, some amazing battles and moments of drama and The End of Evangelion is so unorthodox and disturbing, I couldn't help but enjoy it on both a visual and cerebral level.

Finally, I love the show because of the amount of discussion it generates. I was introduced to the show by a friend, and in turn I introduced it to several other friends, and on many occasions we've stayed up into the night discussing the different themes and plot points. I've always enjoyed something that encourages you to connect the dots yourself and apply your own interpretation to the events, and Eva does that brilliantly.

YEAHH...pretty much what manwards said.

its a great anime if you just learn to understand it. and try to get to the point theyre sending you.

Manwards
09-03-2006, 09:10 AM
You're right about the depth of the characters, Zenkinacu. They may start out as stereotypes (the "wimp", the "*****", etc.) but the reasons for their behaviour become apparent over the course of the series, and the final result is characters more complex and realistic than most other shows I've seen, animated or otherwise.

I recommend you check it out, Mia, because it really has to be seen to be understood. In my opinion, it isn't a mecha show in the least, and so comparing it to other shows of that ilk is pointless. It may be about "robots" fighting "monsters" (although both of those labels are inaccurate), but at the end of the day the plot is used to carry across the overall theme. From start to finish, the show is about Shinji Ikari and the way he deals with the world around him. If you don't realise that, then of course people are going to dislike the ending, whichever one they watch. I've seen reviews of The End of Evangelion that bemoan the lack of "robots fighting", which strikes me as both amusing and a little sad.

As a show about mechs, no doubt there are better, because Evangelion uses the "mechs" mainly to carry on the plot. Every battle builds on the characters of the pilots, I don't think there are any truly "throwaway" fights. But as a show about characters, I've yet to see one better.

Zenkinacu
09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
So i'm right? First time I've been right about an anime on a forum...

Manwards, the Evas are one 1/2 robot. The other half is human, since the Evas have a skeleton.

Over all, I think NGE is a good anime to get into. But I wouldn't compare it to the Gundam serieses, they rock ^^

International 4-8818
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I loved the show. The illustrations and diologue i really enjoyed. Plus the fact that it is about mechs. SO yeah i love it, and have no idea why you don't like besides manhattens post about a low attention span.

Zenkinacu
09-04-2006, 12:29 AM
For God's sake, read my post! THEY'RE ONLY HALF MECHS! Jeez, pay attintion to the story.

Sega saturn x
09-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Something that ruined eva for me almost as much as the characters was the 60's quality animation it had going on. No still frames for minutes on end with voice overs is NOT ok.

Manwards
09-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Manwards, the Evas are one 1/2 robot. The other half is human, since the Evas have a skeleton.It was my impression that they were more human than that. Giant humans covered with "armour plating" - or more accurately, restraints, as Ritsuko tells us later - that allow NERV to control them. Beneath the armour they're gigantic, mutant humans. "Synthetic Humans", again to quote Ritsuko.

Zenkinacu
09-04-2006, 02:34 AM
Something that ruined eva for me almost as much as the characters was the 60's quality animation it had going on.
Sega, this anime was made in the early 90's if i'm correct. Thats why it had such a low quiety in picturing.

Sega saturn x
09-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Sega, this anime was made in the early 90's if i'm correct. Thats why it had such a low quiety in picturing.Bullox, I've seen far older animes with far better animation you're going to have to do better than that.

かごめ
09-04-2006, 10:46 AM
My attention span is fine...It does appear to have a deep psychological meaning-but really-it's hard to even try to get into it when you fail to care about the characters I suppose. I didn't like the main characters Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Ritsuko, Misato or Gendo.

If you watch the second ending however--the series also has to do strongly with sex. That huge Rei that rises up-Yeah, she's supposed to be having sex with the universe and all the noises are orgasmic sounds. That's explained in the extras...I dunno, but I find that incredibly odd. Also-Shinji and Asuka/Rei (because some how the 2 are assimalated during this whole Third Impact after Shinji decides-"Oh, yea, I wanna live. There are people who care!" ) become the next Adam and Eve...

The first ending stunk and the second wasn't any better in my opinion. But, that's just my opinion.

anime4fun
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
k my friend has given me all of evangelion...havnt seen it yet...though from what I've read up on it and from the posts here it's immersed in it's own huge deep mythology.

some find it tiresome and others connect with it...both sides seem valid to me to be honest.

anyway I like my light entertainment and I also like my 'brain to work', depends on mood.

from a neutral point of view, is it worth watching right now? I'm sure I'll get around to it but at the moment I'm not so fussed.

anyone want to try and sell this franchise to me lol?

BaBiiAnGeL250
10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I...don't really understand it...The very first time I watched it i thought it was ok because I'm not into that Sci-Fi robot stuff I guess it's not very interesting to me...but i admire the way everyone thinks of it so please don't mind what I say ^^

Zanethose
10-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, you must ask yourself, why do people like FLCL? Why do people like Gundam, or Samurai Champloo, or any other anime? WHy do you like a certain anime?

Its because it catches peoples interest, whether it be a certain character, the story, or just the way it looks. Whatever it may be, it catches your eye and it makes you want more....and more....and more....

Its simply peoples interests, I, for example, like FLCL, but you may not, I dont know. But i like it because of its randomness, its humor and its story. Simple as that.

dudethedreamer
10-04-2006, 04:08 AM
registered just for this topic

i hate eveglon simply because of how much people like it as if was anytihng great or uniqe like akira, casshan (though it was sorta weak). they have pitiful characters like the main character boy (who was the main reason i stop watching), hes a prick and having a prick as the main chaarcter is distastful, the girls around him another pair of hot anime babes (which has almost the same characteristic as any other hot anime babe in any other anime) but gay-boy was very distastful and thus i couldnt contiune watching eva which in itself i tohught was good...

so ah, i hate eva not cause it sucks but because of the fact that i didnt get to watch it because the gay-main chaarcter ruined it! =(

why do japanese always have gay boys like that in anime which could have been very good? like Shingetsutan Tsukihime, god i would have realy love that series (CIEL Sempai and warcuid is so awesome)...

~Oukoku Inmetsu
10-04-2006, 07:52 AM
It has a wonderous storyline and it isn't some cliche of all the other mecha anime. I especially love how it challenges each charachter and takes you further into the mind of each one to show what they're thinking. <3 It's a great series in my opinion but you really have to pay attention to detail. Kind of like .hack//sign. It's legendary, but if you skip episodes you won't understand the legend.

anime4fun
10-04-2006, 08:58 AM
@Zanthose: haha yeh I understand the mechanic of why people may like or dislike something...I just wanted someone who knows about Evangelion to say why they may like if for what reasons...and why I may like it or just as equally people who may dislike it and for those reasons. so not an answer perhaps so general or disconnected from Evangelion itself i.e broad, but everything you say is cool and I agree with your post so cheers, everythings appreciated.

@Dudethedreamer: I understand what you're saying but if you're going to discuss why you don't like it...I'm all ears to both sides of the argument could you do it a little less neanderthal? lol not saying you are but your post just expresses your distaste for the main protagonist as you think hes 'gay'...

@Oukoku Inmetsu: cheers for answering my question ^_^ and an insight into what some people think of the series.

@BaBiiAnGel205: XD not to worry there maybe I'll like it maybe I won't...cheers

かごめ
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
registered just for this topic

i hate eveglon simply because of how much people like it as if was anytihng great or uniqe like akira, casshan (though it was sorta weak). they have pitiful characters like the main character boy (who was the main reason i stop watching), hes a prick and having a prick as the main chaarcter is distastful, the girls around him another pair of hot anime babes (which has almost the same characteristic as any other hot anime babe in any other anime) but gay-boy was very distastful and thus i couldnt contiune watching eva which in itself i tohught was good...

so ah, i hate eva not cause it sucks but because of the fact that i didnt get to watch it because the gay-main chaarcter ruined it! =(

why do japanese always have gay boys like that in anime which could have been very good? like Shingetsutan Tsukihime, god i would have realy love that series (CIEL Sempai and warcuid is so awesome)...
O-o That's....Great...But I was not inquiring as to why people liked or disliked EVA. I could give a rats tail about why you like/dislike it. I wanted to know what was so great about it. I hear people praising it like it's the deepest thing they've ever seen when really I don't think it is very deep. Soo-yea...I know that if you dislike it it's not 'great' to you...But Shinji's characteristics make little difference to what I was asking about. x.x;;

anime4fun
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
O-o That's....Great...But I was not inquiring as to why people liked or disliked EVA. I could give a rats tail about why you like/dislike it. I wanted to know what was so great about it. I hear people praising it like it's the deepest thing they've ever seen when really I don't think it is very deep. Soo-yea...I know that if you dislike it it's not 'great' to you...But Shinji's characteristics make little difference to what I was asking about. x.x;;lol...well you'll want to know why people like it to base your judgement on your question 'why do people think its so great?' since it's these set of people that will give you your answer.

and hopefully someone here 'since i havnt seen it yet' can explain in their own words the whole 'religion' of Eva and the values it promotes for you to either agree to or disagree to 'why is this so great?'

I'm with you on this and I want to know why its held in high regard also so I can decide whether to watch it now or just when I can get round to it...

tobeza
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I agree 100% to every comment that Manwards has said in this topic.

Ichiro Matsuchani
10-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree 100% to every comment that Manwards has said in this topic. Saying that you agree with someone is not worth posting about if you aren't putting any personal opinion. I'm sure there's a rule somewhere about that.

Now, back to Evangelion. The series does make little sense in the end, and it tends to be very confusing for most. If you're a nerd like me, then you'd see that there is some deep psychological meaning to some of the references that they make (Lance thingy which name I can't spell.).

In the end, however, it was a confusing series that was made by a man that was border-line psychotic in the writing of the manga.

tobeza
10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Ok sorry for that post above but I think I Manwards has said all that I can myself say about NGE. If you wanna hear what I think about it. Well... I love how every charecter fits into story so well and how every charecter seemed to have life before series started. Also what I find great in NGE is the storyline of growing slowly from chlid to adult

Zanethose
10-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I cant say i exactly like Evangellion but then again i cant say i dont.

You're right about the depth of the characters, Zenkinacu. They may start out as stereotypes (the "wimp", the "*****", etc.) but the reasons for their behaviour become apparent over the course of the series, and the final result is characters more complex and realistic than most other shows I've seen, animated or otherwise.

I couldnt agree more, the deep characters are truelly unique and great. They are much better than most other characters and i like that as that is how i tend to write my stories...Same goes with the story, its so much deeper than most and takes so much more to understand, I enjoy that.

However, i do not enjoy how it jumps so much and how fast it goes. It like jumps from somebody being in once place to BAM they are somewhere else, that bugs me, but other that its a pretty good series.

So, overall, I enjoyed it, but I wouldnt watch it again.

Xulchibara The Red God
10-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Hmhmhm..the best about NGE? It's story line is great, the charactors fit well and add into the already awsome story, the animation may not be the best but the feeling you get after watching an episode makes up for all of that...and the best part? If you've ever seen the ending, trying to understand all of what just happened and what was really going on in all of the episodes will make your brain scream in agony trying to think. The series is all around awsome.

Wolfwood
10-07-2006, 09:57 AM
well, good news soon is that 4 new movies (and maby a live action movie, (but not sure if an american made one is really gonna happen there. some claim by 2010 it will, but well... might aswell look into it ^^; )) are said to be coming out and should answer alot of questions about the series that people didnt get ^^;
(the first 2 movies are recaps of the series, and the next 2 are gonna be other alternate endings. or that's what they say so far)

but if you really wanna understand it, you're gonna need to get the platnium dvd box set. the directors and crew in it answer pretty much everything.
but they also point out, there's no one true answer with evangelion. its seen differently by everyone with no right or wrong answers.

still, for the sake of this topic. might aswell try to explain one view from the directors ^^;
basicly, all of evangelion is in shinji's head. just a teen mind going through puberty(sp?)
in the last eps of the series, he goes over everything and starts trying to understand himself and where he fits in.
but there are soooo many things to note in this series. like rei being a total mother figure, or auska always wearing those head peices from her plug suit, kind of like horns.
even things like which eye and arm get damaged on the eva's have meanings behind it.
it's when you go back and re-watch the series, you notice more and more and once again ya view of the series is switched ^^;

sooooo yeah O_o

shinji also seems like a total wimp. but funny fact is, soooooo many teens going through that age are exactly like him :p its because of that, they hate him more. lol think about it.
the best lines he says are like "i hate everything!" total teen drama ^^ or "no-one cares about me!"

anyways, if anyone went through all that, cool ^^ cause i think i was just blabbing on bout random things there O_o

basicly, i think evangelion has so much appeal because you can watch it over and over, always seeing something new, always getting new views and always seeing characters differently.

and if they make those new movies, they better stick to that style and not ruin it >_<

thanks for reading ^^ the entire 0 people that did :p

(and agreeing with the above poster. it really kills ya brain trying to understand it all. if i can find the mythology of evangelion on you tube, i'll post it. its really worth watching and is a total brain pain :p)

=[[Wolfwood]]=

DanTheGreat
10-07-2006, 11:08 AM
End of Evangelion was pretty crap. though the wanking part made me laugh.

かごめ
10-07-2006, 02:27 PM
well, good news soon is that 4 new movies (and maby a live action movie, (but not sure if an american made one is really gonna happen there. some claim by 2010 it will, but well... might aswell look into it ^^; )) are said to be coming out and should answer alot of questions about the series that people didnt get ^^;
(the first 2 movies are recaps of the series, and the next 2 are gonna be other alternate endings. or that's what they say so far)

but if you really wanna understand it, you're gonna need to get the platnium dvd box set. the directors and crew in it answer pretty much everything.
but they also point out, there's no one true answer with evangelion. its seen differently by everyone with no right or wrong answers.

still, for the sake of this topic. might aswell try to explain one view from the directors ^^;
basicly, all of evangelion is in shinji's head. just a teen mind going through puberty(sp?)
in the last eps of the series, he goes over everything and starts trying to understand himself and where he fits in.
but there are soooo many things to note in this series. like rei being a total mother figure, or auska always wearing those head peices from her plug suit, kind of like horns.
even things like which eye and arm get damaged on the eva's have meanings behind it.
it's when you go back and re-watch the series, you notice more and more and once again ya view of the series is switched ^^;

sooooo yeah O_o

shinji also seems like a total wimp. but funny fact is, soooooo many teens going through that age are exactly like him :p its because of that, they hate him more. lol think about it.
the best lines he says are like "i hate everything!" total teen drama ^^ or "no-one cares about me!"

anyways, if anyone went through all that, cool ^^ cause i think i was just blabbing on bout random things there O_o

basicly, i think evangelion has so much appeal because you can watch it over and over, always seeing something new, always getting new views and always seeing characters differently.

and if they make those new movies, they better stick to that style and not ruin it >_<

thanks for reading ^^ the entire 0 people that did :p

(and agreeing with the above poster. it really kills ya brain trying to understand it all. if i can find the mythology of evangelion on you tube, i'll post it. its really worth watching and is a total brain pain :p)

=[[Wolfwood]]=
Ya know, you're the first person who has actually made any kind of real sense to me. xD I don't know why, but your response has made it a little easier to see than the other ones...No offense you guys!

Princess Cupcake
10-07-2006, 04:35 PM
End of Evangelion was pretty crap. though the wanking part made me laugh.Made me laugh too. It wasn't crap it just wasn't all that interesting. I found it odd. To me at least. Oh well.

der Scharfschüt
10-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll tell you what's so great about Neon Genesis Evangelion
nothing, nothing at all

Princess Cupcake
10-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I'll tell you what's so great about Neon Genesis Evangelion
nothing, nothing at allAwh! Must you be so harsh, Scott!?
It's an okay anime.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
O-o That's....Great...But I was not inquiring as to why people liked or disliked EVA. I could give a rats tail about why you like/dislike it. I wanted to know what was so great about it. I hear people praising it like it's the deepest thing they've ever seen when really I don't think it is very deep. Soo-yea...I know that if you dislike it it's not 'great' to you...But Shinji's characteristics make little difference to what I was asking about. x.x;;
Name something that's deeper.

Oo13LUoTHUG26oO
10-08-2006, 09:08 AM
If you don't understand, it's better not to ask questions. Your head will asplode.

I finally watched The End of Evangelion, and I think I finally understand now (with a little bit of confirmation from outside sources).

Since Shinji decided to return the world (or thepeople in it) to it's physical form he returned. From here on out a person has a choice if he/she wishes to return to their former self or stay as on entity. Asuka and Shinji are the first two to return to the world. There is some speculation about Asuka's appearance at the end, but I think it is just her becoming herself once more. She had gone through a huge amount of emotional trauma (coma, finds her mother's soul in her Eva, is torn apart or reduced to LCL, goes through instramentality, returns to a physical form, is being strangled by Shinji).

But, as someone else said, Hideaki Anno loves screwing with people's minds. Some of Gendo's last words are cut out (originally there was to be an explosion silencing his words, but once it was removed Hideako left them silenced anyway).

The voice actress of Dr. Akagi was given a hint by Hideaki as to what these words were, and to this day only she and Hideaki know what Gendo had said.

Anyway, thanks guys. And screw you Hideaki, I want to know what those words are.

Also, as for my favorite episode, either the one where they must synchronize their movements or the first half of The End of Evangelion. I believe it's basically what happens in Episode 25 and is titled Air, but I could be wrong.
This is a somewhat good analisation by Gilean. It may come in handy.

かごめ
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Name something that's deeper.
Pft. You're asking for a mine of over a million different things there. If you really want me to list things that are deeper I will. :d

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Pft. You're asking for a mine of over a million different things there. If you really want me to list things that are deeper I will. :d
Yes, I do.

Ichiro Matsuchani
10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Pft. You're asking for a mine of over a million different things there. If you really want me to list things that are deeper I will. :dWhat a waste of a post. He already asked you to name something deeper. Nice job repeating the question.

Kazekage~Gaara
10-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I've heard very good things about this show and I want to see it pretty bad.

かごめ
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Yes, I do.
Well, try the question of ethics as preceieved morality as apposed to practical reality.

Or the order of the world. Where are things placed in retrospect to everything else.

The value of knowledge. The origins of cognitive thought. Idealism. Postmortem subjects. The reasons why we do things. Myth. Scientific theory...yadda, yadda. I could probably keep going.

These were not presented as subjects in NGE and are quite deep. One could start a whole six month college class discussion on merely one topic. NGE kept to a couple topics in and of itself, and true it did manage to touch basis with them-but the series itself I do not see as very deep. However, I will agree now, after reading some fairly well explained posts (not including your own) that it is 'great' in it's own messed up way.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Well, try the question of ethics as preceieved morality as apposed to practical reality.

Or the order of the world. Where are things placed in retrospect to everything else.

The value of knowledge. The origins of cognitive thought. Idealism. Postmortem subjects. The reasons why we do things. Myth. Scientific theory...yadda, yadda. I could probably keep going.

These were not presented as subjects in NGE and are quite deep. One could start a whole six month college class discussion on merely one topic. NGE kept to a couple topics in and of itself, and true it did manage to touch basis with them-but the series itself I do not see as very deep. However, I will agree now, after reading some fairly well explained posts (not including your own) that it is 'great' in it's own messed up way.
No, you must have misunderstood me. I didn't ask for you to explain why you don't think NGE is deep, I want you to list all the Anime that is SO MUCH DEEPER then NGE. Anime, as genre, is horribly shallow more often then not. There are a few anime that could be described as AS DEEP as NGE, but none to my knowledge that could be described as DEEPER. Seriously, blow me away here.

Not to mention that half the themes you just listed were explored in great detail.

かごめ
10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
No, you must have misunderstood me. I didn't ask for you to explain why you don't think NGE is deep, I want you to list all the Anime that is SO MUCH DEEPER then NGE. Anime, as genre, is horribly shallow more often then not. There are a few anime that could be described as AS DEEP as NGE, but none to my knowledge that could be described as DEEPER. Seriously, blow me away here.

Not to mention that half the themes you just listed were explored in great detail.
I figured you meant anime, but since you failed to elaborate, I chose to take the path less traveled. Next time be more specific in what your asking. In essence use the rule: "work for stupid" here, or else you probably won't get what your looking for.

Anyway, I will admit hands down that there is probably not an anime out there that's as 'deep' as NGE, but I also never claimed there was an anime deeper, I just said "I hear people praising it like it's the deepest thing they've ever seen when really I don't think it is very deep." No where in that comment did I say there was a deeper anime. ::shrugs::

TMcMahon51
10-08-2006, 02:35 PM
What turns many people on to shows like Neon Genesis, is that they can understand the characters, and the plots, and even relate to them in some way.

With Neon Genesis, the protagonst, Shinji, is pretty much your ordinary outcast, except he pilots an Eva, to "save" mankind. The changes the main protagonist (Shinji) goes through, is something that many people can relate to. The other characters are also a medium in which many can relate to, and can often project a little of themselves upon.

With all the Anime series I've ever watched, I can relate to Neon Genesis Evangelion, moreso than most.

-Shinigami-
10-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Well, I liked NGE because of all of its psychological elements, as well as it being a mecha anime (mecha is my favorite genre XD). It's also an anime with a very complex and complicated plot, and you actually have to think to understand some parts..

manslayer101
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
ok, for one thing, eva is for people who like to watch anime that makes you think, if you don't like to think, or you watch television mindlessly, then you will not like it, however, i like the series. What was so good about it?

very good character development
they made a whole religion background
it was ground breaking at the time, and still is
very nice fight scenes (especially in the end of eva)
it was just all around good...

Frostfire
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
yup. that's roughly everything summed up. I personally love Eva... To some, the last two episodes were crap, but i really liked it above the others. There isn't MUCH animes that go deeper into the storyline development more than Eva does.

I don't think i can explain more than what as already been said... If you don't think when you watch anime, then you probably won't understand Eva. And if you don't understand it, you'll never grow to like it. There is much more to Eva than whats on the surface of it. It is not messed up, it's just that you don't see yourself in it and understand the characters deeply. If you do, it'll seem pretty normal.

A simple question, which kid wouldn't want the attention of their parents? wouldn't want the attention of others?

-Shinigami-
10-29-2006, 06:05 AM
ok, for one thing, eva is for people who like to watch anime that makes you think, if you don't like to think, or you watch television mindlessly, then you will not like it, however, i like the series. What was so good about it?

very good character development
they made a whole religion background
it was ground breaking at the time, and still is
very nice fight scenes (especially in the end of eva)
it was just all around good...
Yeah, what manslayer said. If you like animes that you watch for fun, without having to think about the plot, the characters, and etc. too much, then you won't enjoy Evangelion (because in Eva, you have to think about the characters and what they're like, plus the plot). If you like to be mentally challenged and if you really like to think about what is actually going on in an anime, then Evangelion is great.

Mugetsu
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I liked the design of the Evas. They had some decent concepts for them. I actually liked the idea of them having to be plugged into the power source to remain operational. After all, you would think that it would take a massive amount of power in order to operate a giant "machine" like that.

My problem with it was that I feel that they went overboard with the head trips. It did not seem at all realistic to me (granted this is anime). What are the chances that EVERYONE on the show has extremely deep emotional issues like that? It seems to be the trendy thing to have a bleak outlook on the world and Eva took that to a whole new level.

It was an excellent concept, but it was not well planned. There were massive contradictions and they seemed to confuse themselves about halfway through the series. I can't agree with the statement about character developement though because none of the characters actually developed. One brief moment at the end when Shinji decides he wants to live is no character developement.

Genghis Beatrix
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Great anime, but it was one that made the Japanese clamp down on censoring stuff, like they took out half of Cowboy Bebop actually!

Genghis Beatrix
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Great anime, but it was one that made the Japanese clamp down on censoring stuff, like they took out half of Cowboy Bebop actually!

kyubichan
11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Since most mecha anime I watched had huge clunky robots (e.g. Gundam, Daimos), Eva was a nice change. Also, the philosophical takes make for decent, thoughtful viewing. The TV series' ending was psychotic, but I liked it ^^

ken 666
12-12-2006, 07:54 AM
erm.. i think evangelion is an interesting anime bcos this anime discussed the reason of the existence of humans so heavily. plus it also combine teology as one of the element but the fighting scene is kind of short and it is damn psychotic!

Sputnik
12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
It has a bit more emoitional and philosophical depth than most anime of the time and even now