PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary Girl Utena

mimichan1000
01-15-2006, 02:38 PM
This series is in my opinion, very good. it contains duels, incest and of course, romance. if you've read the manga or seen the anime and movie, what did you think?

Yumi-chan
01-15-2006, 02:45 PM
hm....i really don't like the art that much.....

the_caminator
01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I love revolutionary girl Utena! The story is so well developed, complex but not so complex that you feel like bashing your head off a wall. The characters are all honest in their own specific ways and there are so many that there is someone for everyone.

Capernicus
01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
I've heard of it. Isn't it a bit of a yuri? *shrugs* Well, I've always wanted to pick up that series, but I haven't had much of a chance lately. I'm quite busy. *looks at watch* Oh man, I'm late! *runs out*

the_caminator
01-20-2006, 11:26 AM
I've heard of it. Isn't it a bit of a yuri?
You are correct in this assumption. However, it's really quite tastefull and subtle, it has Yuri leanings in the TV show, only in the movie, where the characters are older, is this element more obviously expressed.

Seriously though the show is very true to life in its portrayal of the characters relationships. Juri's relationship with her former best friend Shiori is especially noteworthy.

mimichan1000
01-20-2006, 12:13 PM
i agree! the relationship between those 2 and all the chracters are very honest and that's why this is 1 of my favorite romance series....:happy: :)

Capernicus
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Well, sounds like I'll love it. I like subtle romances. ^_~ How long is it?

Die Tod von Euch
01-20-2006, 03:06 PM
You are correct in this assumption. However, it's really quite tastefull and subtle, it has Yuri leanings in the TV show, only in the movie, where the characters are older, is this element more obviously expressed.
First I would like to say that they are NOT older in the movie. It's just a retelling of the story... They're still 13.

Secondly I would like to say that it actually goes more as follows concerning any shoujo-ai (not really yuri) and other relationships:

Manga= very heterosexual, with very, VERY light implications of shoujo-ai between Utena and Anthy. Even Juri, who is a noted lesbian in both the TV series and movie is totally heterosexual and lusting after Touga in the manga. I think there is also hints of shounen-ai, but nothing really shown or actually spoken of.

Series= More shounen-ai than shoujo-ai, actually. Akio beds everyone including other men. Touga and Saionji have a sort of thing as well. There's far more partially undressed men lounging in bed together than there is women doing that. But there are also elements of both shoujo-ai and heterosexual relationships as well. It just leans more towards the boys in the series.

Movie= Shoujo-ai with kissing and everything. Also has heterosexual relationships, but the shoujo-ai dominates them all. There is no shounen-ai in the movie.

---

Capernicus, there are 39 episodes and a movie. There's also a manga series. The manga, TV series, and movie are just three different retellings.

saskie
01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Wow Moderator ^_^ You popped out of nowhere to give us another post on "relationships" XD

I've only seen um... about the beginning and the relationships of the two twins and that's about it. Utena is so cool ^_^V

Die Tod von Euch
01-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, it wasn't a post explaining terms for relationships this time, though. It was just to clear up the kinds of relationships that can be found in each retelling... *shrugs*

I've been an Utena fan for about five or six years. I've read all of the manga (even the extra manga that's actually just a manga version of the movie...which is odd, since the movie is just supposed to be another retelling of the same story from the manga), own all of the series, and the movie. At one point I had a mild obsession with this series. In some ways I still do. It's among my favorite anime/manga of all time. I could probably rant (not bad ranting...) quite a bit about many different things in this series.

(Fair warning, there may be spoilers below...and not all will be within spoiler tags)

For instance, Akio. I love Akio in the series and to a lesser degree the manga, but don't care much for him in the movie. In the manga and the series, he is a representation of the same thing/being, for the most part. In the movie, his powers and who he stands for is severly downplayed. Suddenly he goes from being Satan to just being an incestuous jerk who seems like the perfect prince to some but really has a sick personality.

Touga's love for Utena also differs from each retelling. In the manga he really, truly loves her. Like fully "I commit myself to you" kind of love (though sadly, unrequited). In the anime, he still really loves her, but it's not always as obvious... Though what he's done for her...holy crap... He does so much to try to save her, but the poor guy can't get a break. Well...I suppose he sort of does...for one night. Anyway, in the movie Utena is the one that's chasing him (somewhat). It's still obvious that he loves her, but it's also just...different. He isn't attempting to sacrifice anything for her in the movie. In fact, he pretty much asks her to sacrifice something for him...but she refuses.

Then there's Shiori. She, like Nanami, doesn't exist in the manga. But, unlike Nanami she is not only in the series but also the movie (although Nanami's cow form does have a cameo in the movie). Who she is, though, changes from the series to the movie. Oh, in the movie she still manipulates Juri and is obviously the object of Juri's lust. But at the same time, she's...not really Shiori. She's more like the dark side of Utena, I feel. She clings to Touga's ghost, representing the side of Utena that was unable to let go. The inability to accept Touga's death shows in that she's even there with him in a sort of world of the dead. The director's comentary even stated that's what the white rooms she and Touga were in are. Utena's inability to accept Touga's death shows in how she managed to surpress the memory and is the only one besides Shiori and Anthy who sees Touga's ghost. Something that really helps link Shiori as being one and the same as Utena is what Shiori says about the man she loved drowning in his attempt to save Juri from the river. She says something to the effect of "We were going to go steady, but instead he went missing"... Touga drowned in an attempt to save Juri. It was him. And Touga, at that time, was with Utena. As in they cared for each other...as in SHE was the girl he was going to be with. So, yeah, it seems that Shiori is like the manifestation of Utena's negative feelings. When Utena and Anthy are attempting to "break through to the outside world," the Shiori car is the first one that attempts to stop them and desires to be the free one instead. But, ultimately, she is destroyed. Since the whole "breaking through to the outside world" thing is really just a bizarre metaphor for growing up, it makes sense that Utena would have to try to shed the qualities of her Self that resided in Shiori. If she did that, then she truly would be more like an adult in the emotional sense.

Ok, that's enough rambling...for the moment.

mimichan1000
01-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, sounds like I'll love it. I like subtle romances. ^_~ How long is it? it's boxed set so it's a pretty long but good anime ^_^