PDA

View Full Version : My first wall.

Masali
12-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Many many many many many thanks to redfield 22 for teaching me how to use some (well...the vast majority of) the effects on this. The image is mai from the Anime/Dating Sim Kanon. Highly reccomended.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1733/maiwall5it.th.jpg (http://img483.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maiwall5it.jpg)

I Expect no mercy whatsoever, because I GIVE no mercy. I don't care if this is my first one, tell me what you think. If it sucks, say it loud! "MASALI IT SUCKS BALLS!!!". Thats the spirit!

bms
12-18-2005, 08:12 AM
good work

Wonderwice
12-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Ah, it's pretty good!
Uh..let's see.. uh.. the picture could be a little bigger and better to see, that's all I think..
I can't even make anything T__T so in my opinion it's ok
^^, bye

Sword
12-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Cool effects man. It's just a little plain is all I think. Practice makes perfect ^^

Masali
12-18-2005, 10:01 AM
OMG! I AM SOOO OFFENDEDED! NO OPINIONS! UR ONLY ALLOWED TO SAY "It's KAWAIII LOLOL!"

Seriously, thanks alot for the critisizm. Im gonna improve on that now.

ryoga-one
12-18-2005, 10:55 AM
whats the point of all the effects on the f.g.? do you really need them? what i'd do is take another picture for the b.g. add only a few subtle effects to it, then put the scan of the character over and only add whatever effects you think will make it blend with the b.g.

hope that helps ya.

Masali
12-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I could do that, but right now Im just experimenting with some cool looking effects. I think a picture on a picture would be kind of boring, don't you think?

Naruto711
12-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I say the effects are kikass. The picture is an iffy. Overall Id say, on a scale of 1 to 10, 8 or 9. Screw it you get a bonus cause of the rock in you. 10 it is.

Also Id like to add, were can you play Kanon?

harakiri
12-18-2005, 11:15 AM
nice. i like it, it's realy good.

Masali
12-18-2005, 11:18 AM
I say the effects are kikass. The picture is an iffy. Overall Id say, on a scale of 1 to 10, 8 or 9. Screw it you get a bonus cause of the rock in you. 10 it is.

Also Id like to add, were can you play Kanon?you would have do download it from a torrent site that has Hentai games (because it is a dating sim, but in good taste). Probably www.torrentreactor.com

Nespa
12-18-2005, 12:15 PM
hmm it's good but try to either make a calmer background or a stronger foreground. the busy background pulls the atention away from the picture.:)

ryoga-one
12-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I think a picture on a picture would be kind of boring, don't you think?
depends on how ya work with it, if done right, it can look pretty damn good:cool:

DarkPrinceBman
12-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Well the brushings used to make the background are random and have no real center...except for the focal point that is the Radial blur added....The character is way to small in my opinion and the opacity change isnt really a thing GFXers would call blending. For a first timer its pretty advanced I can tell its multiple layers and that in itself deserves some credit. Im not one to give number ratings, but i will give you my opinion you need alot more practice. Work on doing something more than random brushing. Also learn a few Render blending techs.

Masali
12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I didn't use any brushes, just FYI. And yeah, I get what you're saying. The main focus of this was supposed to be the pretty effects in the background, But to post it here I had to have an anime pic so...voila!

Fibanacci
12-18-2005, 02:11 PM
What is it. Is it a man in a lake or what, but overall not bad

-Batman-
12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I see you didn't use any brushes, thats good. It's bad to start off useing brushes or you'll never learn anything! brushes are for latter...when you get bored. *ahem*

Considering I told you how too do those effect's last night...It could have been better. It's good to see you remembred those handy little layers. Remember...layers are your best friend. The character belending could have been better. Also, try focusing in where it's more noticable.

Xian Pu
12-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Ummm there's an attach feature for a reason, you're supposed to use it. FYI.

Cantelope
12-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Kawaii!!~ LoLoLoLOLOloLROFLFORFFLWAFFLE!!

The filter effect is pretty neat, but extremely damaging to the eyes due to unbelievable brightness. The stock you chose needs to be more focalized, because I'm just not feelin it. She's all shoved into a corner and neglected, and no-one can notice her. Not to mention the layer mode you set on her totally makes her look freakish.

*Slaps Masali with the no-mercy stick and stomps on his feet*

Mushrambo
12-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Heh.....If u had a picture that was showing action with the background then that wallpaper would put really awesome. I like it though really I do. Keep up the good work.

Masali
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Kawaii!!~ LoLoLoLOLOloLROFLFORFFLWAFFLE!!

The filter effect is pretty neat, but extremely damaging to the eyes due to unbelievable brightness. The stock you chose needs to be more focalized, because I'm just not feelin it. She's all shoved into a corner and neglected, and no-one can notice her. Not to mention the layer mode you set on her totally makes her look freakish.

*Slaps Masali with the no-mercy stick and stomps on his feet*Don't stop! I like it!

EternalBlue
12-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Well Masali, if you want no mercy, the only ones that'll give it to you are the older veterans of the AW forum, who are in quite a small number now. All the newer people will mostly just tell you it's nice :D *cough* Anyways, as one of the oldies, this is what I have to say:

*whacks you with a -no-mercy-squeaky-mallet- and chases you around the room*

The background is WAY too bright, and the splotches are very strange. Spread them out and blur them a bit more so they don't blast your eyes when you look at them for more than 10 seconds. Personally I find the radial blur too obvious, but if you spread out and blur more of those explosive lights *.* it'll help to diminish it a bit.

If you want the background to be focal, there's no point in having a character that size in front. Even so, just putting her in the background would take a load of work that, since this is your first wall, I wouldn't expect you to be able to do yet. Perhaps change the focal point to Mai and work with the splotches and other BG effects around her. Also, please get rid of the transparency blending on her, it looks absolutely awful in this case and should rarely be used. It completely nullifies the point of having a character in there in the first place. She's also a tad small in proportion to the BG. If you can find a larger scan to use that'd be great.

Well there you have it. Overall I like the concept, but the way it's composed just doesn't cut it. If you need help with any effects and such, feel free to ask ^^.

Masali
12-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I phear the squeaky mallet.
Thanks for the advice btw.

Xian Pu
12-18-2005, 09:56 PM
You want brutality? Okay... Pooky has wailed on me for being overly cruel in the past...

If a thumbnail is enough to send my brain into convulsions... something needs to be done man. No, really. It's WAY too bright. And the character almost blends into the BG. I can't bring myself to look at the full size version because of the bright arse thumbnail. Tone it down and then upload it properly and we're cooking with Crisco mayn.

Masali
12-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Ok, I used the almighty attachment. I changed some things around, hope it's a little better.

Xian Pu
12-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Thank you...

Brightness in check, good... Still a bit plain though a vast impovment over what you had at first... Hrm... I don't know what to suggest to improve it... But something is still needed... Anyway, yeah, thanks for adjusting the brightness, looks better x10.

EternalBlue
12-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Better, those effects are loads better than the explosives you had before.

Mai looks strange somehow. Either she's still slightly transparent, or there's vertical streaks running throughout the scan. If you're going for a ghost character look, then its alright but could be improved. Did you do that as an effect, or was that part of the scan? Either way, if you don't want a ghost Mai, I'd suggest removing it, it just looks strange to me. Also, the extraction is a bit jagged, now that I can see it without all the lights. Maybe blur the edges or add a faint glow to her(the glow would work really well IMO, but then that's just my opinion, the CGer who uses glows in 95% of work produced XD )

Also, may I suggest something for sigs? The red outline and bevel(is it a bevel? looks like it) doesn't fit with the rest of the wall's colour and mood. A good thing you could try is to do this:

1. Type the text you want, text color doesn't matter.
2. Set the layer's -Fill-(not opacity, fill) to 0%
3. Go to blending options and set an outer glow, to a color that fits well with the wallpaper.

Sometimes this(color choosing) works better if you change the glow's blending type to Normal or Linear Dodge instead of Screen. Play with the settings until you get an outline around your text that you want.
This turns out really nicely for dark walls, since it leaves your text signature looking as if it's part of the background, with the colors that you've used in the wall surrounding it, which allows it to blend in really well. Try it and see what you come up with ^^

Again, much better overall. Now just work on the scan and signature and this'll turn out great ^^