PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with a wallpaper. ^^

quick2anger
10-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi there!
The image is from Pet Shop of Horrors, and it was way too cute for me to ignore :D I decided I must have it on my desktop. Unfortunately, I'm pretty inexperienced in wallpaper-making, and I just don't like the result... :<_<: I understand that I messed it up, but I can't figure out what were my mistakes.
So here I am, asking for your advice. :) Constructive criticism is welcome.

I have two versions here - the first is with a messy background, and the second with, well, a less messy background. :) Tell me which works better. If at all.

Thanks! ^^

kingkostas
10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Very nice work....but if you want it for a wallpaper just one thing (color it)...see ya.

MistressPookyChan
10-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Please upload the images to the thread using the "manage attachments" feature. Your wallpaper links were deleted since it violates the rules of this forum.

quick2anger
10-10-2005, 09:55 AM
MistressPookyChan:
Oh my, I read the forum rules, but I probably missed this one. (It's the other way around on most forums I know, so no wonder I didn't expect it. :) )
Sorry!

Here goes again! *Tries to upload ^^;*

kingkostas:
Why, are colors a must? :ninja: I tried to keep it manga-style on purpose. ^^;

Btw, the files are huge, aren't they? O_o; I have no idea why. Is my PSP's optimization turned quirky? It never behaved like this before.

Himura Enishi
10-10-2005, 10:18 AM
well for the 2nd file right off the bat id say dump it, the background really clashes in that one and it's really noticable. As for the first, it looks pretty good but it has the 'i cant put my finger on it' problem....maybe try moving the ppl or words around in the bg.........

Raven
10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
if you want to keep it b&w (manga style) you might want to try and smooth out some of the shading, particularily on the goat thing. You know, so it matches the smooth look of the bg.

quick2anger
10-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks, people. I'll try and mess with it some more, then. :)

escaflownemoon
10-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I like to add to this even though you may be working hard on smoothing out the shading..more like blending I suppose. lol I still see extraction pieces left around the guy's knuckles, hair, and sheep-human?... Colour is just a person's preference in my opinion but sometimes it does a big help in bring out the artist's theme and meaning.

Good Start.

MistressPookyChan
10-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Color is over-rated. I think this wallpaper is just fine in monotones.

yotsuba-chan
10-23-2005, 07:58 PM
oh my god. petshop of horrors. i love you. it's pretty good. black and white is a very good effect.

MuZ0NaZ
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Color isn't overrated but monochrome walls are underrated.
The first image is the best, just try to remove the grain using median/gaussian blur/smart blur/etc. and using various blending modes or get the filter Neat Image. Well, that or add grain/sharp texture to the bg.