PDA

View Full Version : [mod] Do you know the meaning of spam?

MistressPookyChan
09-26-2005, 08:52 PM
No, I am not talking about the delicious (?!) sandwich meat.

Do you know what a spam thread is? Would you know one if you see it?

As the title of the forum suggest, and as is stated in the FAQ, this is a forum for animewallpapers.com. That means that this thread is kept to wallpapering subjects, such as computer graphics, modifying images, graphic arts, wallpapering techniques, etc etc.

Here are the types of threads that are considered spam in this forum, taken from recent threads that showed up in this forum:
Do you like my avatar? (This is a wallpapering forum. There is a separate avatar forum on AF.com)
Take this quiz! I'm fire element! (I don't care what element you are. It has nothing to do with wallpapering)
I <3 Inuyasha!!! (Good for you. Show me an Inuyasha wallpaper that you made and then maybe I'll care.)
Will you be my friend? (I am sorry you are lonely, but the Misc forum is a better place for that.)

For a listing of all the forums and their description, please browse http://www.animeforum.com . If you are still unsure where you should be posting something, ask a mod or admin. We are friendly, I swear. The only thing we don't get friendly about is rule-breakers.

This spamming has been happening far too often lately. And, although I love seeing more traffic and people getting along, this isn't really the place for it.

happy posting <3

Xian Pu
09-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Can I kiss you on the cheek Pooky? Aw heck, *hugs* I'll hug you instead.
I am tired of all the spam flooding this board lately. Thanks for this thread.

Capernicus
09-26-2005, 09:57 PM
YES!!! Me too! People aost WAY too much crap in the forums. I see useless threads everday day, and it bugs me. I only post on worthwhile threads to discourage the spammers, and all of you should do the same!

MistressPookyChan
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
There is a lot of spam all over the forums, but when AW.com forum starts getting it, you know there is a problem. We usually stay pretty spam-free, so we are lucky. People say that I am one of the more lenient mods here, but when people start breaking really obvious rules, I do give punishment.

Remember, if you get a certain number of warnings, you get your account suspended for some time or even banned.

wizz-o-matic
09-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Tho, it's interesting ... there's only 4 hours of difference between this and the closed thread ... this one has only 25 views, the other one already over 60 ...

It's just that newbies, n00bs and other spammers don't even open such threads like this ... >_> Pooky, maybe, once for a test, make a thread with rules, but named like "<3 Inuyasha" ... you'll see how many hits it will get xD

akachan
09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
XD infact I opened at first that test thread, because:
1.I open once almost every thread, just to look what there's into(__ I remember that some months ago I made a ranma wall called chat cafe, using chat as the french world for 'cat', but no one ever answered to that thread __ I couldn't change the thread's name, so...no-one answered ever XO)
2. viewing a thread like that from pooky was too XD! At first I thought it was a wall with somethng related to tests...^__^''

my suggestion is to take that thread bumped, as the no-rating one(it seems to me that the rating thing is starting to become smaller, but we have to keep this thing up)

Nice and great as always Pook ^__-

TYF00N
09-27-2005, 06:16 PM
If you are still unsure where you should be posting something, ask a mod or admin. We are friendly, I swear.

NEEDS MORE OP http://animeforum.com/images/smilies/dry.gif

Keitaru-san
09-27-2005, 07:21 PM
well i just hope there is www.spammersworld.com (http://www.spammersworld.com/) wow that would be spammers paradise wait how about www.spammersparadise.com (http://www.spammersparadise.com) nah its better be www.spammersfromhell.com (http://www.spammersfromhell.com/) hahah just for thought. :rolleyes:

Gjallarhorn
09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
SPAM:
1. Useless, off topic, or pointless posts and/or messeges, as well as pop-ups on the internet; is ofthen found annoying by other members, chatters, or posters. Shows ignorance of the rules/guidelines of a forum and/or chatroom, as well as selfishness in using threads for personal conversation rather than the designated topic or the use of Private Messeges(PM).
2. Of, being, or characterized by canned meat made from the combination of other meat products.
3. A word used in Monty Python over 200 times in 1.5 minutes.

This topic sounded like a fun chance to immitate a dictionary....:p

Or a suggestion: Similar to the "Anime/Manga Review" Forum, why not get another moderate(who could be available a lot) to approve which posts will actually be displayed and which will not due to spam content(basically a monitored filter)...it would be a lot of work, but very effective

MistressPookyChan
09-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Or a suggestion: Similar to the "Anime/Manga Review" Forum, why not get another moderate(who could be available a lot) to approve which posts will actually be displayed and which will not due to spam content(basically a monitored filter)...it would be a lot of work, but very effective

Because that would be a lot of trouble; more trouble than is necissary. Also, I am around A LOT; I just don't post all the time.

Want me to be a harder, stricter mod? Would it honestly be better? I can crack the whip when I need to...

MuZ0NaZ
09-28-2005, 04:51 AM
SPAM:
Or a suggestion: Similar to the "Anime/Manga Review" Forum, why not get another moderate(who could be available a lot) to approve which posts will actually be displayed and which will not due to spam content(basically a monitored filter)...it would be a lot of work, but very effective Anime and manga review forum is a special case - not every forum needs to have around 90% of the new posts deleted.

EternalBlue
09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Agreed, there's been way too much spam(stupid pointless annoying messages) lately. Thanks a ton for doing this pooky ^^. I don't think you ahve to step up too much. Give it a bit of time and see how this thread works out. If there's still a ton of spam then crack down on it. I love Wizzy's idea of naming one of these threads with a spam thread name and seeing how many people actually veiw it though xD