PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper noob

bimbim18
09-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Hiyas, in a video game boredom slump (not anime though) I wanna try something creative thats not working with my hands for once. So where better to sstart than pretty wallpapers, sigs and avatars for myself ^^

Problem is I have NEVER used any kinda image editors, photoshop, 3d etc. I looked at the tutorial listings in here and to be quite honest I was more or less baffled as I'm not familiar with any of the programs at all and I just kinda need SOME kind of direction so here are my questions:

Which programs are best to use?

which tutorial site is best for the complete noob?

Animousflavista
09-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Photoshop is common for wallmaker. other software like PaintshopPro is used to enhanced the pic/bg.(i think)

Photoshop is easy to use, and, if you don't even know a single thing in it, read help. I learn photoshop from it.

MistressPookyChan
09-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Try a variety of programs! Most of the big-name programs have a trial verstion (about 30 days or so). Then, play around with them. Find the one that you like and get the full version.

bimbim18
09-18-2005, 02:29 PM
well, im not worried about free trials, name it I have it or I have access too it ;) but with my time as limited as it is i dont have time to download trials anyways (my time on the internet is limited to 30 mins at a time and on crappy connections at that)

I just want a good direction on which to try (like I said I dont have a lot of free time on my hands so I dont wanna spend hours with several programs I may or may not use) I have roughly 3-4 hours a night tops free time so I try to make the best of those few hours.

so far it looks like photoshop and paintshoppro so far. any other recomendations?

MistressPookyChan
09-18-2005, 06:37 PM
How about Gimp? It's still free. (and please, don't talk about illegally downloading and hacking. It is against the rules of the site)

Sophonax
09-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Gimp is still free and pretty good for Linx. Personally, I don't think it fits MSWindows.

MistressPookyChan
09-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Gimp is still free and pretty good for Linx. Personally, I don't think it fits MSWindows.

they do have a windows version: http://www.gimp.org/ never played it with myself, but many people love it.

Cantelope
09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Gimp is leh poops. o_o People probably only love it because it's free, and it's better than MSPaint. *coughcough*

Anyways, if you actually honestly like the program, then you can go ahead and stick with it. Otherwise, I suggest getting Adobe Photoshop, off like eBay, for 70 or so dollars. And the only Photoshop's that sell that low are the older verisons. I also suggest if you are listening to me, to search for Photoshop 7.0. I mean, it isn't bad at all, and they don't sell at a Gazillion dollars like 9.0 CS does. e.e;

Otherwise you can try Paintshop Pro. Never tried it myself, but I hear it's very similar in the aspects of Photoshop. I never really did any price checks on it, because I didn't care. I <3 Photoshop.

Sophonax
09-20-2005, 04:19 AM
O_o; Dude. I've seen lots of GREAT wallpapers made with Gimp.

MistressPookyChan
09-20-2005, 09:16 AM
you can make great graphics with any program, actually! It's just a matter of what skills you can do. Maybe I should do another MS Paint-only contest. That contest was great because it made people use a very basic program to make a great wallpaper.

Besides ebay, you can also check your school bookstore (if you're in college or near one). They usually give student discounts on programs.

bimbim18
09-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Gimp is leh poops. o_o People probably only love it because it's free, and it's better than MSPaint. *coughcough*

Anyways, if you actually honestly like the program, then you can go ahead and stick with it. Otherwise, I suggest getting Adobe Photoshop, off like eBay, for 70 or so dollars. And the only Photoshop's that sell that low are the older verisons. I also suggest if you are listening to me, to search for Photoshop 7.0. I mean, it isn't bad at all, and they don't sell at a Gazillion dollars like 9.0 CS does. e.e;

Otherwise you can try Paintshop Pro. Never tried it myself, but I hear it's very similar in the aspects of Photoshop. I never really did any price checks on it, because I didn't care. I <3 Photoshop.

great because I do happen to have adobe photoshop 9.0. I just havnt had time to play with it yet.