PDA

View Full Version : Making Memories

Xian Pu
09-13-2005, 04:39 AM
This scan was originally HUGE. I mean in the neighborhood of 4k+. Still, I'd rather have an image that was too big than one that was too small. Makes resizing that much easier. I don't know why I chose the title Making Memories, but it just seems to fit the mood of the girls and the setting. Which, by the way took some work to get the way I liked it. All faded and washed out. Like the girls, who, I too washed and faded. I'm going for that old picture look. *shrug* Almost a sepia tone, you know? Anyway, thoughts?

akachan
09-13-2005, 06:35 AM
mhh.... ^^ Normally I wouldn't use ever the cutout, but this time I think it's perfect ^_^ as always Xian, you're getting better and better ;) ...

back to the wall guy, I've got something to say: I don't like the font u used, the color is ok(maybe a little darker? 'o' dunno).but the restaurant's pic used here it's too european/american to have a chinese font. I think that a "Coventry garden" or something like that(^^ I mean an elegant/oldelegant one)would be perfect.

I agree with putting and older filter to all the wall, girls included):
try a sephia level(hue or color)duplicate, one to color 30%, one to multiply...60%(more or less, naturally)
In the end some noise-old brushes(also on the girls) would be great
Nice nice work ^o^

Raven
09-13-2005, 07:19 AM
It's cute. I see some extraction issues on the hair of the black-haired girl. (in the "holes" there's a few pixels of white.) I like the bg, I think its fine, but maybe try and make the girls a little more sepia toned.

Kyrie
09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
I like the cutout effect on the background, but for some reason, the lack of details on the girls and the brightness of their colors make them too separated from it (the background) Maybe try and fade them in a little more, with some more sepia tones (yes, I think so too ^^;;) But really, I love the background.

Xian Pu
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Okay, I've changed the font and 'dirtied' up the girls, but I'm not sure how to drop the color clarity in the scan anymore- can someone help me figure out how to better make it look sepia toned? Also, as for the extraction, I've done about all I can without actually starting to cut into the girls. A lot of that white is actually coming from the BG.

So, is this better?

The Rebel
09-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I like it. But the girls seem to stand out from the background because they were outlined with black from the look of it, while you background doesn't have such defining lines. That's the best I can do for you. I don't know squat about this wallpaper stuff, I just know about art.

Xian Pu
09-13-2005, 09:57 PM
No, no outline on the girls, but the standing out part; anyone know how to better blend them in with it? I've reached the end of my creative/knowledge of Photoshop. Help.

The Rebel
09-14-2005, 09:32 PM
I think you misunderstood me. With the girls, their details (eyes, hands, hair, and such are defined with black lines, where your background isn't. Where ever walls meet, there is no black line defining it. That's where the contrast. As far as Photoshop stuff, I probably couldn't even open the box it comes in. I just know about art in general. I'm good with paint and color pencil, you're the expert as far as Wallpaper media goes. Sorry, I can't be of some real help to you.

Xian Pu
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I think you misunderstood me. With the girls, their details (eyes, hands, hair, and such are defined with black lines, where your background isn't. Where ever walls meet, there is no black line defining it. That's where the contrast. As far as Photoshop stuff, I probably couldn't even open the box it comes in. I just know about art in general. I'm good with paint and color pencil, you're the expert as far as Wallpaper media goes. Sorry, I can't be of some real help to you.

Eh it's all good. You've actually given me an idea as to how to work on it. The fun part is going to be implementing it. >.>

akachan
09-15-2005, 05:26 AM
1.open a gradient level(sorry I haven't psp in english, but the name it's something like that)
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/1x.jpg
2.choose two sephia colors
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/2x.jpg
3. set this gradient level to overlay or something else..
http://www.animeforum.com/uploads/3x.jpg

add many gradient levels or other correction levels, then a level with grunge brushes of 100% of opacity...make the same(but with other colors) for the "none shall pass" one.
I hope this time I've been enough clear ^__^

Cantelope
09-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Eh, akachan's suggestion will totally change the emotion in the picture. Although I'm not saying it's ugly, the effect does look nice, but I suggest if you want to keep your current scheme, you should add some dirt and/or grunge brushes LIGHTLY in soft light mode or overlay, over the girls, to give the wallpaper a more, "old" and scratchy feel to it, you know? like, it's been a long long time ago.

I like the concept of this. There could be some improvements as stated, and things would be as close to perfect as I could think. I'm not sure why, but there's something about the middle girl that bugs me...the way she goes off the screen. I can't put my finger on it. You might wanna try toying with that area to see if you can make it look better. Although, it'd probably do more harm than good.

Okay, so carry the one...multiply by 2/3....divide by Pi...and I give this particular beauty, an 8.6/10 =D