PDA

View Full Version : moonlight (I'm stuck!)

MistressPookyChan
07-03-2005, 07:24 AM
This wallpaper has been the bane of my existance for atleast 2 months. I even lost track at how many layers it is at right now. 30ish? I open it up, look at it, play around with it a bit, and close it. So today I got a little inspired and thought I'd be a little more serious with it since I do like the picture and think it deserves a nice wallpaper. Plus, I want a night time, romantic wall for my desktop. ;) So, besides the obvious extraction issues, anything else I should add/change? Also, what should I do with the text? I hate text, but I feel it needs it...

naojason
07-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Well, if you want me to be anal. :o

I was possibly thinking about the text on the moon. Not so sure how good that'd look, but you can at least experiment. :p

I like the text where it is though. Just draw a line under it of a similar color, and have it going behind the characters. That might add to it. Either way, that text seems to demand more.

You may also even incorporate something more abstract and shiny in the backdrop that'd give it more than a plain feel (perhaps a "Magical moment" feel?). That's more a matter of personal taste though.

I hope this helps anyways. :)

MistressPookyChan
07-03-2005, 07:52 AM
I was thinking about comets or something, but I didn't know how much junk I should put in the background.

thanks for the text suggestions. May do the line thing.

Xian Pu
07-03-2005, 11:38 AM
It's a bit... orange Pooks. Maybe that's your intent dunno. Anyways suggestions from me would be to run a filter or two through the BG it looks a bit too 'real' and too 'there' in comparison to the foreground characters. IE it takes away from the over all effect. Grids are good, grids are sane. You could always take this pretiful BG and go very slightly grunge with it. That may help as well... Dunno...

MistressPookyChan
07-03-2005, 06:46 PM
It's supposed to be sepia. That was my intention. And no, I'm not un-sepia-ing it.

Funny that it looks too "real" considering that it was all done by me in photoshop. How would you suggest making it not "real"? Grids in a star background?! if grunge, then what kind of brush?

Xian Pu
07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
It's supposed to be sepia. That was my intention. And no, I'm not un-sepia-ing it.

Funny that it looks too "real" considering that it was all done by me in photoshop. How would you suggest making it not "real"? Grids in a star background?! if grunge, then what kind of brush?

Sepia is fine Pooks, but like I said, you might want to bring down the orange juuuuuuust a touch.

Brushes? Here's an idea. Just one though.

Okay the next set exceeds the kb limit-- but go to this site Pooks and use set 10... or at least that's my suggstion.
http://www.dubtastic.com/resources.php

TYF00N
07-04-2005, 04:43 AM
LOLOL how about a little ligth from the moon it seems dark scary now...

MistressPookyChan
07-04-2005, 07:51 AM
LOLOL how about a little ligth from the moon it seems dark scary now...

Is there not enough light coming from it now? yeah, I guess it needs comets or sparkles or something... I just didn't want to make it look too cheesy.

akachan
07-04-2005, 07:52 AM
mhhh wonderful pict :3
ok, I think that if you pu a moon and a sky, it could be a marvellous natural wall, even with some grunge brushes,
just don't put text, lighter the moon, desaturate the orange to a sephia tone, as you want it: just make the gradient layer blended color with a 30-50% of opacity, it would be great!
the focal point imho is that you don't need that grass, you need a romantic-gothic ruined scenery: try to find some images or brushes or ruined churches/temple like some ireland pics, and put it over/behind them..

just search images(big ones)of:
abbey, abbey ruins...
look at this google page, maybe you'll get some inspiration *__*

http://images.google.it/images?svnum=10&hl=it&lr=&imgsz=xxlarge&q=abbey+ruins

dark_angel92
07-04-2005, 10:24 AM
thats the best wallpaper I ever seen lol

MistressPookyChan
07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Aka, good suggestions. Should i make the ruins more like an overlay (faded into the background, transparent)?

d_a: thanks!

Azreal Hellfire
07-04-2005, 07:01 PM
i wish i could be of more help but my experience in this field is very limited...but i guess if you like put in some type of mild glow effect it may do nicely...

MistressPookyChan
07-05-2005, 02:47 AM
i wish i could be of more help but my experience in this field is very limited...but i guess if you like put in some type of mild glow effect it may do nicely...

glow... where?

DepthAnime
07-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Thats verrryyyy niiice. You certainly know your stuff! i would add more firefly type thingies heh ^^

escaflownemoon
07-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I see there are still some extraction particles around the guy's hair (?) The text could brighten just a tad bit, possibly a more elegant font (?) The moon looks kinda scary but nonetheless it looks good. ^^

MistressPookyChan
07-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Here is version #2!

After looking back at my psp file, wondering where those clouds I put in before went, i noticed that I saved the jpg at too low a setting so the clouds didnt show up. So, this version is bigger (sorry 56kers!). There are 40+ layers and it's for larger resolutions (1680x1050). I can make a 1024x768 version by request.

changed:
added comets (ooh, aah)
few larger stars
more extraction (any more? where!?!)
darker, less orange hint (too red?)
got rid of the text (any font idea? text idea? needed?)
lowered the grass (i tried it without it and it looked weird. I think the grass grounds them a bit)
more clouds
slight glow to characters

Anything else I missed or that should be added?

akachan
07-05-2005, 12:06 PM
What I meant was to make a naturalistic bg, to put a ruin and filter it(for example using that filter called paint dodge or something like that) as it is an existent bg, and removing text; if you'd like to keep the grass, make it bigger and darker, put it over them and blur of a 4-5 point. maybe the comets could be brighter..
One last thing: if you decide to use an abbey, make the moon a bit smaller. If you want to use a text I suggest an elegant font...

Xian Pu
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, here's my suggestion for font. Dunno if it's any good or not.

As for the wallpaper itself I say you nailed it this time great job Pooky.

Oh, you may want to run a sliiiiight filter over the characters cause they look a smidge blurry.

helba
07-06-2005, 01:54 AM
i think the picture looks great// you did good keep it up
misstress pooky chan

MistressPookyChan
07-06-2005, 02:38 AM
akachan: I think I will use the abby idea next time. My last few wallpapers used a lot of architecture so I want to be more nature-ish this time. For making the grass longer... what do you mean?

Xian: I'll check the font out. thanks. I know the characters look a bit blurry and I have been trying to fix it.

helba: thank you.

akachan
07-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I just want to say higher, with two lines of grass, one behind them normal, and another one over them blurred :)

I't ok for the abbey ^^

____
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
It looks great. I don't think it has to be changed...but if you want another idea for the wall, you can shrink the moon just a bit and make it have a glow with rays. If you have Paint Shop Pro 8, Sunburst should do the trick.

Naokomi ShYana
07-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Oh my gosh that's so adorable. I love it. o.o

Kukuriyu
07-09-2005, 10:56 PM
It's good alright. But the Grass. they're just to..what can i say..."plain". Any photoshop user can notice that they're done simply by using a brush.Nevermind what i just said. Keep up the Great work!

EternalBlue
07-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Personally, I think the stars need a bit of work Pooky, but of course, that's just me, the starfield kid :P lol. Also I think the comets need to be a bit brighter, they just look like little blobs of paint to me. Grass looks fine IMO. Maybe it's just me, but I still don't see those clouds you're talking about. I love the texture on the moon though, great work there ^^