PDA

View Full Version : Sterio-typing by your Musical identity

*Lumiere*
04-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Music

Is not one of the most annoying things to be sterio-typed by what music you listen to? >_> As in being judged by other people on WHO you are because of what you listen to? What do you think? Does the music make the person? Can a person really tell what type of person you are by what you "bob you head to?"

Moo-sic ...and the affect it has on a person.

From personal views...I am sick of being told I am gay because I enjoy artists like Vanessa Carlton and Stacy Orrico. Seriously tho..should it matter?

Queen-of-Mars
04-12-2005, 06:07 AM
If a person like me can one minute be sleeping to Mars Volta, then wake up and and turn on some Garth Brooks, then drive to school listening to the Chicago soundtrack, I think it would be an EXTREMELY difficult thing to stereotype unless put into the category of "Eclectic" which is a bunch of crap. I don't think you can classify people simply by music choice.

souless cowboy
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I beleive music can tell a lot about your personality. Though i totally hate how people judge you completely because you wear a metallica shirt, or you have a picture of marilyn manson on your binder, or you wear headphones whenever the oppurtunity comes. Music is who people are somtimes, it reflects on what you love and enjoy in life. Though people twist it into what you COMPLETELY are. Music is a gift of expression through words.

--souless

Myrra
04-12-2005, 06:09 PM
If a person like me can one minute be sleeping to Mars Volta, then wake up and and turn on some Garth Brooks, then drive to school listening to the Chicago soundtrack, I think it would be an EXTREMELY difficult thing to stereotype unless put into the category of "Eclectic" which is a bunch of crap. I don't think you can classify people simply by music choice.
Well, one cannot classify me easily as I listen to too many different types. Though finding me listening to Garth Brooks would be a trip as I haven't listened to country in ages. I listen to far too much...most of which you all never see posted. I like groups like Vampire Nation (African), Timbuktu (rap-Sweden), Bone Thugs & Harmony (rap), Keane (UK), Rammstein (German), a wide variety of music from Norway, Iceland, Sweden, & Finland. I even like listening to the Wiggles (Kids-Australia). Not to mention classical, opera and the oldies. ^__^
If I'm classified as anything it's weird. Which I honestly don't mind. Eclectic doesn't quite cover it for me.

Tsuna Kadiri
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
I think that there is alot of stereotyping in what music you listen to.. and I really don't like it. It's kinda what gets the Rock vs. Rap controversy going.. And I hope that were NOT going to have that battle again in AF anytime soon... >__<

At first glance, you would have no idea that I am Metal Head. I'm very much the typical ballet dancer sterotype.. which I don't mind, cause it's pretty much true. Classy and pretty.. yeah, that's me.

So people may percieve me as a "poser", because these "stereotypes" don't matchup. But I'm not that at all. It just goes to show you how much people judge by your stereotype rather than your personality.

Holly Strife
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Honestly most people believe that Music makes a person and can set them out to be 'named' as to what they listen to. I don't think that's true. Half the time people who are doing the naming are the ones who are followers and not leaders they are only into what other people would be listening to.

Then again..sometimes for some people Music does make a person. It just all depends on who that person is, you can't really Identify a person out by just listening to what they are into. Because they could be listening to Rap, or something harsh and you'd think they were mean or out there, but turn out to be a sweet caring person you know? -Done babbling. Probably got off subject too- x3

Gjallarhorn
04-12-2005, 07:51 PM
in some cases, music can tell what kind of person someone is. for example, punk/goth kids often listen to punk-rock, whereas gangsta people 99.9% of the time, listen to rap and hip-hop.
and then based on that, certain groups of people have certain qualities, similar to political parties. the forementioned punk/goth kids would most likely wear black, possibly some pink, and the gangsta kids would often use poor vocabulary and grammar purposly or without even knowing it.
of course, this logic is not true most of the time. it all comes down to one's personal "style" and what qualities are shared with others......

*Lumiere*
04-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Hmmm...

It is funny because, today while I was clumsly putting my CD case in my book bag I dropped it and of course all my CD's spilled on the classroom floor. Well I had the Sailor Moon soundtrack in there along with a bunch of other Anime soundtracks. Half the class laughed because a boy decided it would make it his business to tell everyone what I listened to. According to him "Sailor Moon is effing ga... you know the rest. And you are a looser ..and blah blah you are so this and that" all over a CD? ... sheesh. It makes you think..

Queen-of-Mars
04-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah, it DOES make you think. Makes you think about how ignorant the world can be. -_- So what if you listen to anime? I'll be honest. I have an Aino Minako CD and i'm eighteen-years-old. Do I care? No, not really. I kinda grew up with Sailor Moon, and as much as I did try to hide it, it will always be something I can actually sit down and watch for some reason.

Ashminigun
04-13-2005, 03:02 AM
*can't resist myself to join in...

hmmm.... sometimes a person make a prejudgment on others just according to what he/she wears, listen to or appearance without knowing the person better... in perception in music, well for me, someone once ask if I know a Malay song that goes by this title and he ask that I know the song lyrics? I answered yes but I don't know the entire lyrics. I added that I mostly dislike Malay song and they all laughed at me... the whole class actually. Well, I just remained cool 'cause there nothing to it. Everyone has their perception and so do I.
Importantly, you just be yourself and explain to them if you been label like that.
'nough said...

~Karl*Sethers~
04-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Music

Is not one of the most annoying things to be sterio-typed by what music you listen to? >_> As in being judged by other people on WHO you are because of what you listen to? What do you think? Does the music make the person? Can a person really tell what type of person you are by what you "bob you head to?"

Moo-sic ...and the affect it has on a person.

From personal views...I am sick of being told I am gay because I enjoy artists like Vanessa Carlton and Stacy Orrico. Seriously tho..should it matter?

Vanessa Carlton happens to be one of my favorites... ((of course, I have like twenty favorites, branching from Atreyu to Evanesence to Shania Twain)) I tend to dislike anyone who does music bashing... except for country, which sometimes deserves bashing... (I heard a country love song once about.... a cross word puzzle.... er... yeah. )