PDA

View Full Version : GJ - when people run in circles it's a very very

Ollie
03-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Mad World.

now, I know it seems strange to start a topic over one single song...but this has got to be one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. It's off the soundtrack for the movie Donnie Darko, a righteous movie in it's own category.

a lot of people think that R.E.M. sings this song...I am not sure, as I haven't ever heard it, but that band did not write or compose it. It is sung by a terribly talented artist named Gary Jules.

I heard this song once, and could not get it out of my head ever. Randomly I'd start singing to myself, except I could only remember the chorus, which in a way made me wanna listen to it ever more.

Very recently, I got my friend to download it for me and send it to me.

I have not listened to anything since.

and I doubt this thread will get much attention, since I've found out how small the amount of people listen to good music.

this is a thread to discuss this song, and other works of Gary Jules. I do NOT want people to walk into this thread and say "he's ok but i like blink182 better they rule" blah blah blah. Seriously, do not even try to compare the sheer genius of Jules to anyone else.

anon.

stephen
03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I will download the song and listen to it

Annik
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
I seriously love that song. I heard it... Ah, a year ago, I think, and it's never ceased to make me pause and just let it wash over me.

I believe Tears For Fears wrote it.

Or whatever their name is, I can't remember, I'monanotheracidtrip.

soshumeru90
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
i have never even heard of it but i will try and find it and listen to it and all so tell me how it is and i will try and find it.

dragoninja
03-02-2005, 06:37 AM
sad song ... if i remember right ... good though

Ollie
03-02-2005, 11:11 PM
it is pretty sad. Good thing to listen to if your melancholy side emerges.

Myrra
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Whispers, love, Mad World was originally a Tears for Fears song. It's off the album The Hurting. It was written by Ronald Orzabal from Tears for Fears.
I like both versions. Though Gary Jules' version is very mellow...and relaxing compared to the Tears for Fears version.

In case you are wondering I have both versions as I have both cds. If you'd like to hear the Tears for Fears version let me know Whispers.

Ollie
03-03-2005, 05:08 PM
!!!

yes! If you could get me an mp3 of it, not send me a copy of the album >_>

and, I knew that it was T.f.F. ^^ I was just specifically discussing Jule's take on it.

Myrra
03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Just PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Ollie
03-05-2005, 08:37 PM
bwahahaha. That's cool and all, but I think the Gary Jules version is waaay better XD

for anyone who wants to hear it, PM me and I'll send you the song >.>

Queen-of-Mars
03-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Loved the song and loved the movie.

Myrra
03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
The movie was great! It's one of my favs...must be why I stole it from my brother. Actually, I borrowed it and as he's never asked for it back...it's mine now!!!
Muhahahahaha!!

Ollie
03-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I STILL need to see it... ;.;

and darn you Myrra, you got me addicted to the TfF version xD They are both great, but the original is more dance-y, and the Gary Jules version is more like something you mellow out to.

Myrra
03-10-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm sorry, hon. Yep the Tears for Fears version is more a dance one. the Gary Jules version is on my playlist of sleepy time music.

You really should see the movie. I'd loan you my copy, but as I stated previously, it's technically not mine. ^__^

Ollie
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
that, and I can't give you my address XD but it's all cool, I'll just rent it one day.

I have read summaries and reviews, though [wasn't it marketed as a horror flick despite totally NOT being one?], and I can see why they made a different version of this song for the movie. The lyrics mixed with the slightly differently done melody...heh, I unno. ^_^;