PDA

View Full Version : Do you think music has meaning

Zack2
02-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Do you guys think music has meaning?
I sometimes think it does and i think i am getting paranoid. My brother started to do things that this song did.:ninja:

DarkMagicianGirl
02-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Sure I think songs haev meanings to them. I know a few songs that have made me remember things and some that has made me cry cause i knew what they meant or what the artist was trying to say. I don't think you are paranoid.

Cypher
02-19-2005, 10:32 PM
It's called EMO music.

Predator
02-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Everyone knows that music can change your mood...Sometimes they also give off good messages.

Ami~chan
02-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Define meaning. Are you talking about songs that have the power to sway your mood for me it would be "Sweet Child of Mine by Guns n Roses) or songs with hidden meanings. Take the "I'mTurning Japanese" song, or whatever the title was. That song definately had a meaning.
But yes, some songs have meanings. Even the Barney song had a meaning!

Cypher
02-19-2005, 11:16 PM
"Music is the universal language." - Ray Charles

good guy..

Gjallarhorn
02-20-2005, 01:15 AM
It's called EMO music.emo is just people whinning about how bad their lives are.

i think most music has meaning to it, or, i only listen to music that has meaning to me. a lot of modern music has little meaning to it, or just repeats the same messeges over and over. (ex: rap=self promotion, drugs, intercourse with various partners, partying.....punk rock: live is horrible, everyone is stupid, party, rebel, breaking up). a good example of a band making music for a certain meaning is U2, and their basis of songs on politics and global conditions.

[BlackDeath]
02-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Couse music has meaning to it, if you just listen to the lyrics you would hear the meaning. After all Lyrics are what songs are about. There are those that don't have lyrics though, and the different notes and insturments are all symbolism in those types, if you follow me!?

Annik
02-20-2005, 07:59 AM
emo is just people whinning about how bad their lives are.

i think most music has meaning to it, or, i only listen to music that has meaning to me. a lot of modern music has little meaning to it, or just repeats the same messeges over and over. (ex: rap=self promotion, drugs, intercourse with various partners, partying.....punk rock: live is horrible, everyone is stupid, party, rebel, breaking up). a good example of a band making music for a certain meaning is U2, and their basis of songs on politics and global conditions.
No, that's country.

"The dog died, my wife left me, the house burned down."

Actually, all genra's of music have people whining about their life.

Don't knock Emo.

Mainly because I still have no idea what Emo is.

Tsuna Kadiri
02-20-2005, 08:11 AM
a good example of a band making music for a certain meaning is U2, and their basis of songs on politics and global conditions.
Yes, U2 is a great example of that. Their one of my favorite bands.

Of course music has meaning. How do you think the artists come up with their lyrics? They must be feeling some sort of emotion or re-telling some sort of story when they write these songs. Even though rap is pretty much the same story being told over and over again (sex, drugs, weapons, poverty, ect.), it still has some sort of meaning behind it.

Oh yeah, I don't know what Emo is either..... :sweatdrop

g0d_of_death
02-20-2005, 09:49 AM
emo is just people whinning about how bad their lives are.

Alright, thats wrong. emo is like a punk/pop based type of music, and its about people whining about being dumped by their girl friends. It's not about how bad their lives are, thats when you get int oa more gothly type of music.

I agree with how you interperet rap/hiphop, but the punk rock you got all wrong... well partially wrong. It -again- is not about how horrible life is. some of it is, but a lot of it is about having fun, like if you listen to some of Sum41's earlier music, and a lot of music from the Dropkick Murphys (just to give you a couple). A LOT of it is about rebellion, and A LOT of it is about break-ups (unlike emo, they dont complain... they cope).

But saying that punk rock is about break-ups is an unfair statement to make. A lot of music is about love, and that kind of stuff, but punk rock tends to pick the worst part of love, and sing about that because its something that you can talk a lot about. We all know how hard break-ups can be.

Now getting back to the concept of this thread, I do think music has meaning. I can relate to pretty much every song by AFI, and everything in that music (even stuff they wrote 10 years ago) seems relevent to my life. It really depends on who you are, and whats happening in your life.

Gjallarhorn
02-20-2005, 01:05 PM
what i said about punk rock is whta modern punk is. sum 41's old stuff was good, as was greenday's, but their recent albums have been fairly disappointing, because both sound nothing like they use to. and punk has become soft(good charlette, simple plan, mest).

also, rock bands which use to be good have stopped playing good rock and switched over to punk, such as Bowling for Soup....they use to be soo good when they first came out, but their last album or two have been disappointing. sum 41 has also become more punky than they use to be.
using VH1's definition of modern punk----*gets a chair, throws it, yells rebellious phrases......apollogizes, picks up chair, apollogizes some more*

judastheavengingangle
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
i think everything in life is relative so the perception of meaning in music is possible

Annik
02-20-2005, 07:20 PM
what i said about punk rock is whta modern punk is. sum 41's old stuff was good, as was greenday's, but their recent albums have been fairly disappointing, because both sound nothing like they use to. and punk has become soft(good charlette, simple plan, mest).

also, rock bands which use to be good have stopped playing good rock and switched over to punk, such as Bowling for Soup....they use to be soo good when they first came out, but their last album or two have been disappointing. sum 41 has also become more punky than they use to be.
using VH1's definition of modern punk----*gets a chair, throws it, yells rebellious phrases......apollogizes, picks up chair, apollogizes some more*
If you are saying that these "gone punkin'" bands sound like Blink 182, and that Blink 182 is SO TEH UBER PUNK!!!!111!111!1oneoneonesix..... please excuse me whilst I laugh.

Okay, so... Most music has a meaning to the composer. If you glean a little of it, yay.

Wirry
02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Define meaning. Are you talking about songs that have the power to sway your mood for me it would be "Sweet Child of Mine by Guns n Roses) or songs with hidden meanings. Take the "I'mTurning Japanese" song, or whatever the title was. That song definately had a meaning.
But yes, some songs have meanings. Even the Barney song had a meaning! My thoughts exactly.

dragoninja
02-27-2005, 01:36 PM
music is a feeling ... do feelings mean something?

hell yeah

soshumeru90
02-27-2005, 01:43 PM
i think music does have meaning to it because it makes you feel a certain way about something or someone that you care about possibly a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship you know how the song makes you feel it may remind you of your gf/bf so in a way songs have meaning.

Queen-of-Mars
02-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Music has meaning for different reasons. To some artists, their music can be a healing thing, and to others it can simply be a means of making a million or two. To me, music falls beneath the state of mood I wish to be in. If I want to be happy, I listen to happen music. Without music, my moods would be very..lost sometimes. Very healing thing.

samuel
04-15-2005, 02:32 PM
without music life whould have no meaning and it whould be dull.

fullmetal_alchemist_fan
04-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I think music has lesson and speaks to the soul.Some music you can relate to.It relaxes you.It has a great meaning.This is My opinion.

Blue Tiger
04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Music changes your mood and life would be without it

Sexy Angel
04-20-2005, 08:12 AM
every music has a meaning..it only depends on how you interpret it..

Shakaku the Phoenix
07-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Music has meaning...all songs written with passion have meaning. Any song that can correctly inspire emotion, the emotion it was intended to inspire has true meaning...

wow..how old fashioned does that sound?? ^-^

Marie2007
07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
i think most of the time certain songs in music have meanings as well as the videos.

M.C
07-14-2005, 05:09 PM
yes it does ... music is poetry !!! [ i know its hard to see that ]

pyrothunder336
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
i think songs have meaning. if you mean music in general then i think the meaning of it is to entertain or to tell a story. most of the time anyway

Fallon Piper Fawn
07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Of course music has meaning, most all is written with feeling and emotion.
It should come from the hart, and most have a message in them.Music would be dull without meaning, wouldnt be much fun to play either lol.

Truly Alone
07-14-2005, 11:58 PM
I say music is a way of expressing your feelings, so, of course I think it would have meaning.. >>;

N3O
07-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Most songs that you can listen too, will somehow fit in with your life. You might not realize it the first time you hear it, but this realization is usually in the country/rock scenarios. There's a song by Shannon Lawson, "Goodbye on a bad day", that reminds me of my first love and my most recent break up. Both ended on a bad day. Music's meaning is to tell a story that might've happened to the composer or something that might've happened to a friend or family member of the composer. Most music doesn't have a meaning (rap) but the majority who listen to rock or country know the feeling that I'm talking about:

"They wrote that song for me."

No, they just wrong the song because it happened to them.

sumae_the_firewolf
07-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I think songs have diffrent meanings to diffrent people... I mean I have a song I'm not sure what it's called but every time i hear it I close my eyes and pictures form in my head. It's a love somg and i'm going to play it at my wedding. But as to the question dose music have meaning... artists must have had a meaning in mind if they made it... I mean they didn't just write down words and say 'yes I am going to sing about this for no reason...'

princess_comit
07-17-2005, 07:08 AM
theres has to be a meaning that i dont nkow!:)

Uchiha Ulquiorra
07-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Music Is what some people do to express themselves, and there emotions. SO Yes it has a meaning