PDA

View Full Version : Anime Question!

Fixxi
08-22-2003, 07:33 PM
what's the difference between OAV series and the original one? and what does it stands for? and what IS OAV?

LXnekket
08-23-2003, 05:48 AM
The OVA/OAV's are (I think) the straight to video/DVD animes.  The other's are series' that have aired on TV.

Sometimes one anime will have a series...and an OVA.  They ARE different stories, but same type of characters and/or plot.

Fixxi
08-23-2003, 03:42 PM
confoozed----confused---- so animes that was aired in TV and DVD/videos are a bit different?

LXnekket
09-04-2003, 03:14 AM
>.<

Ok, look at it this way. Â*There is an anime called Sorceror Hunters. Â*To be exact, there are 2 animes of this title. Â*One of them was an OVA. Â*Now...the one that is an OVA is more close to the Sorceror Hunters manga, and was never aired on television. Â*It went straight to DVD/Video.
While on the other hand, the other series with the same name...was aired on TV and was a little bit looser from the manga&#39;s style. Â*It was more...TV friendly I guess you could say. Â*
The Tenchi series is also a good example. Â*Multiple storylines/paths...but same characters and settings.

SGI
09-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Okay heres the lay down

OVA are straight to video releases in Japan, they are never aired on TV.

TV Series: Broadcast on TV

Whether or not the two releases of the same series can have nothing to do with each other depends on the series. Some series, like Sorcerer Hunters, The Gundam Movie Trilogy can be the same story but retold in another way. Ruroni Kenshin is another example of an OVA being a prequl or a sequl to a popoular animated series. Other series like Tenchi muyo can have no relation to the storylines in the tv series. And finally there are unique OVA series which are their own storyline like Crest of the Stars and Voices from a Distant star

I hope that made some sense

LXnekket
09-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Yeah...I could have sworn I said basically the same thing. &nbsp;Maybe not exactly as well...but really the same answer.

/invisible

Dark Lord Takegami
10-06-2003, 12:04 PM
OAV if I am correct, means Origional Animated Video &nbsp; I do think that is what it means. Yea, its also straight to tape/dvd.

SGI
10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Well my answer was the ova version of the tv seriees, same story but with better animation and some deleted scenes...

oOoKenshinoOo
10-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Yea, they are right. The OAV term is used when something is taken from a japanese animation, and is put straight on the market, not to be aired on T.V.

The OVA is something that WAS an OAV, but then was aired on T.V, and the name changed due to the editing of the animation.

I hope that helped...lol

wizz-o-matic
01-18-2004, 12:18 PM
OAV -> Original Animated Video
OVA -> Original Video Animation

Isn&#39;t it the same?

oOoKenshinoOo
01-18-2004, 01:54 PM
OAV-Origninal animated version
OVA-original version animated

tiv
04-03-2004, 05:19 PM
the original series is the first one that came out, the ova or oav is a smaller series...usually showing a portion of things before or after what happened in the first series