PDA

View Full Version : Ok 3 Things

wing 7
09-03-2004, 04:44 PM
ok is anyone excited about sly cooper 2 or as anyone excited abouthe psp(playstation portable) or the nintendo ds(dual screen)

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Don't care about Sly Cooper, The DS is a stupid gimmick, and the PSP will destroy Gameboy once and for all. :ph34r:

AngryYoungMan
09-04-2004, 01:22 PM
I think the PSP will get knocked on it's donkey. You just can't beat nintendo for handhelds.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-04-2004, 02:47 PM
No one who's at all decent has tried. Sega was already in its post-Genesis idiocy by the time it released Gamegear. Besides that the only other somewhat serious handhelds in the last say, 15 years were the Wonderswan and The Neo-Geo-Pocket. And Neo-Geo and Bandai didn't have the time, energy, money, or clout to succeed in the Handheld Market (Also Wonderswan wasn't released out of Japan). Sony has more of all those things than Nintendo. Also the fact that the PSP seems to be designed more for Raw Power and Connectivity vs. Nintendo's new gimmick augers well for PSP's chances.

Rem
09-05-2004, 02:47 AM
You know the DS will win because it can play all of the gba games and the 2 screens in far more then a gimmick.

Regex
09-05-2004, 01:36 PM
I would like to remind you all of something.
Sony has been known for always making very high quality electronic merchandise.

Except their game systems. Notice how many people complain of their PS2 going out. I have yet to hear of a complaint of anyone's SNES dying completely. Much less any of the systems that have been released since.

Sony jumped in the game console market, and they did quite well, considering their competition. But remember, the portable gaming market is vastly different from the console market. Nintendo still has them beat. And looking at the specs on the PSP, it's not spectacular. The DS has better hardware, and more of a market already, as it still plays previous games. And the touch screen was a long time in coming. We've been having all these portable games really NEED more buttons to work with. The perfect answer is right here. The lower screen is all the buttons that are missing. Designed specifically for each game. I anticipate that the PSP will do well. But Nintendo still will beat them out, due to sheer experience in the market.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Although you make some good points, Member Name I still have a problem of people saying that DS is superior because of its backwards compatibility. Besides Zelda, Pokemon, and of course Tetris, GB and GBC Games were crap. There are a number of good games on GBA, but nothing that spectacular.

Anyway if PSP manages to come out with only a few somewhat more mature killer apps, they could very well take the whole shebang. Keep in mind that your average game purchaser is 35. Most 35 year olds don't want anything to do with the kiddy stuff on the GBA.

The touch-screen screams out to me “GIMMICK.” What uses could there be? The only confirmed use I know of is using it to display the map in Mario Cart. Woopty-do. They could use it for a drawing game or something, but conceptually and financially I think they would have been better off simply making a bigger screen.

AngryYoungMan
09-05-2004, 06:29 PM
I definitely agree with that last part, but I still think that the Dual screen will do better due to nintendo's sheer experience.

Forever_Love
09-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Ok, no point trying to find out what other ppl think of stoopid fings!

*closes this useless topic*

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Forever_Love@Sep 6 2004, 08:28 PM
Ok, no point trying to find out what other ppl think of stoopid fings!

*closes this useless topic*
Thats really the whole point of message boards: Finding what other people think of stupid things!

So long as we're invoking imaginary powers...

*disables the internet*

Regex
09-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Manhatten_Project_2000@Sep 5 2004, 03:48 PM
Although you make some good points, Member Name I still have a problem of people saying that DS is superior because of its backwards compatibility. Besides Zelda, Pokemon, and of course Tetris, GB and GBC Games were crap. There are a number of good games on GBA, but nothing that spectacular.

Anyway if PSP manages to come out with only a few somewhat more mature killer apps, they could very well take the whole shebang. Keep in mind that your average game purchaser is 35. Most 35 year olds don't want anything to do with the kiddy stuff on the GBA.

The touch-screen screams out to me “GIMMICK.” What uses could there be? The only confirmed use I know of is using it to display the map in Mario Cart. Woopty-do. They could use it for a drawing game or something, but conceptually and financially I think they would have been better off simply making a bigger screen.
Most any of the Mario games (including remakes) for GB/GBC/GBA, Chu Chu Rocket, the games you mentioned, to name a few of the really good games.

As for your age 35 thing, i don't know where you get your information, but if that is true information, then it's only literal. Meaning that 35 may be the average age of game purchasers but not game players. The majority of the gaming market is tailored toward the college age. The portable systems are marketed more toward the slightly younger crowd, with some games made for the older folk. Remember, these are games. We don't need our Game Boy Camera. We don't need a phone in our games. We just want something to play games on that we can take with us.

And i refer you to my previous post regarding the touch screen. It's a way of tailoring the controller to each individual game. The screen will be used as buttons. Or perhaps an inventory screen in some RPG's. The possibilities are limitless, and they have demonstrated a few. Just look it up.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I got the info from This CNN Money article. (http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/25/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm) It has to do with the whole Bloodrayne/Playboy thing. But it sites those numbers near the end. And I was off by a year (36). It also said the average player is 29.

I was generalizing. I wasn't looking at the master list and pulling out every good game. I'm sure there are a couple more games that don't suck for GB/GBC. But no where near enough. Also I think that the Super Mario Land games sucked.

Touch screen as more buttons? Maybe in a strategy game, or a RPG. Anything that requires quick button presses is going to be ruined by using a touch screen. They require too much precision and you have to be gentile with them, or else you break um. They just won't stand up to the abuses required by most games. Not to mention that while your pressing buttons on the touch screen you'll be unable to use the other buttons. You'll have to completely rearrange you hands to switch from the buttons to the touch screen. The whole thing sounds stupid.

Rem
09-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Well thats great that you feel that way just buy a psp and say nintendo sucks go on all the cool kids are doing it.

AngryYoungMan
09-07-2004, 05:25 PM
I guess I should stop posting here because I do not, nor plan to, own a handheld.

But If you think about features, they do not make a console(for lack of a better general term). Everyone has a company that they're loyal to, and that plays a huge part in the item they buy.

And plenty of people own a GB or GBA, and they're still gonna want to play the games without having to switch handhelds each time.

wing 7
09-07-2004, 10:02 PM
well ok but sonys coming out out withe the ps3 aswell so theres a cool looking thing.

lnknprkfn
09-08-2004, 09:52 AM
I cant wait till the portible playstation thing, but what is the point of the two screens? I just dont understand that.

lnknprkfn
09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
also.... when is the ps3 comming out? n

AngryYoungMan
09-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I'll probably get it after a year because I'M NOT MADE OF MONEY!

Rem
09-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lnknprkfn@Sep 8 2004, 10:55 AM
also.... when is the ps3 comming out? n
Gee ill just take a look at my calender lets see..... my god its out now run to the store and buy it!! No one knows whean the thinmgs comeing out not even sony.

Waterz_Dagger
09-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by AngryYoungMan@Sep 5 2004, 07:29 PM
I definitely agree with that last part, but I still think that the Dual screen will do better due to nintendo's sheer experience.
uh-huh.. no doubt there.. but whatever its not like i play portable cr@p, and there is no way i will EVER buy a frikken psp, and i bet i know plenty of ppl who agree..

and about ps3, the only thig sony did with that was stack 8 ps2's on eachother and said that was the equal of ps3.. something like that, read it somewhere

AngryYoungMan
09-13-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm almost positive that's not from a reliable source :lol:

Waterz_Dagger
09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by AngryYoungMan@Sep 13 2004, 07:30 PM
I'm almost positive that's not from a reliable source :lol:
of course not, it was from some crappy video game mag, haha :^_^:

raine_ruby
09-13-2004, 08:46 PM
No one can beat Nitendo with the handheld.No one can beat the classic games they made either