PDA

View Full Version : Drawing tablet

DeathBlade/13.666
02-16-2014, 09:30 AM
I've been using a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch a little bit, though currently my brother has it for working on his degree. I like it, but many times I just feel like using a mouse gets things done faster. With that said, I still want to be able to draw and whatnot, but it never quite works out well on either tablet or mouse the way I want, or could've done on paper... Maybe I'm just that bad of a drawer. Either way, I was thinking about maybe a better tablet might be the answer or just stick with pencil/pen and paper. If I did go for a better tablet, are there any recommendations? A larger drawing surface and the ability to see what I'm drawing on the tablet itself would be very helpful for me I believe.

Ωmega
02-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Personally I love my Bamboo, but I did get myself a pricey-er model [ http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=WCCTH670&ref=PLA&omid=103&CAWELAID=1503881208&catargetid=1889113554&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla ]

It works great, has really nice pen pressure and is great for sketching/coloring. For nicer, cleaner lines I go back with the pen tool.

If you want to stick with pen and paper then I suggest getting this- http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Digital-Note-Taker/200985?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=NonBranded&Keyword=&cm_mmc=CPC-_-Google-_-NonBranded-_-&network=g&matchtype=&device=c=FSGOOGLE&gclid=CNSky-6O0bwCFRRo7AodKBsALg

or

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/29/smartpen-app

Hope it helps =3

DeathBlade/13.666
02-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks, this is very helpful. But I do have a couple of questions.

Is their any real difference in the Bamboo Create and the Bamboo? I mean it's a great tablet, but still I'm unsure if my issue(s) is with the tablet itself or just using a tablet in general being that it was my first one and I'm still used to doing things on the mouse.

Also I noticed with the Note Taker and Smartpen apps that they mainly run with Office and whatnot, do they also work with Photoshop/CS and/or like programs?

Ωmega
02-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks, this is very helpful. But I do have a couple of questions.

Is their any real difference in the Bamboo Create and the Bamboo? I mean it's a great tablet, but still I'm unsure if my issue(s) is with the tablet itself or just using a tablet in general being that it was my first one and I'm still used to doing things on the mouse.

Also I noticed with the Note Taker and Smartpen apps that they mainly run with Office and whatnot, do they also work with Photoshop/CS and/or like programs?

This tablet is my third and favorite. The ones Ive had before were a little harder to use, so I guess it is a difference [all my tablets have been Wacom].

As for the others, from my understanding they turn whatever you do into a pdf, jpeg or png file. Its just a matter then of opening them up in PS afterwards

Vintniv
02-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I think it worth remembering, to each his own. You dont NEED a tablet to be a good drawer, the tablet is just a medium and the mouse can be used. The one bit that a tablet is useful for is reading how much pressure you are trying to apply, rather than having to manually change opacity settings to accommodate a mouse.

Before you invest in a new tablet, which can get expensive, fast. Just practice more and more, its a very fickle interface if you arent used to it. I would also recommend looking at your tablet settings. If, for instance, you have a tablet that's 4 by 3 inches (4:3) and a desktop screen that's say (19:8) or something, the tablet will try to force itself to be like that. So you might end up with funky controls, or dead spaces where the touch doesnt respond.

Well that's my 2 cents, hope I didnt take this off topic for you. I have a Bambo Craft, and its served me well on projects. I got Rainbow Crash a tablet for Xmas, and she loves it, try harassing her for tips.

DeathBlade/13.666
02-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Ah, thanks. I know that with how I typically draw it can be rough, due to such a heavy hand and that I typically have the side of my hand on the surface when drawing. So a smartpen may be a better way to go. Still once I get my tablet back, I can start practicing more and look at the settings too.