Originally posted by Xian [email protected]
30 2004, 09:36 PM
See, that's the thing... I suck @ss at shading. I'm barely learning how to use the burn tool without going over board. ><; Any and all pointers in that area would be greatly appreciated.
1) Here are some links to tutorials (you might already know these...)
http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/computer/cell/ (cell shading style)
http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/computer/soft/ (soft shading style)
http://www.cablenet.ne.jp/~japanime/tutorial/cgmain.html (photoshop anime drawing tutorial @ www.howtodrawmanga.com)
2) My tips:
Think where's the light is coming from... (really think about it, how it does affect to the higlights and shadows)
- think carefully of the shape of the character
Example: (note: the lights direction is different as in the first example I posted)
(arrow is the light's direction, blue is highlight and red is shadow)
A good way to do the shading: (just my opinion)
- You've colored the character (the coloring is in its' own layer, lineart in another)
- Select the area you want to shade (using magic wand)
- Select the color of the higlight/shadow (foreground color)...
(airbrush tool & black/white color isn't a good idea (if the shadow/higlight isn't black/white))
- If you are drawing the shading to the same layer where the coloring is, remember to select the (coloring) main color as the background color
- AIRBRUSH TOOL
- Try different opacity & hardness (&size) values ^^
- Be careful when making highlights (only on hair (if you want to), metallic objects & on skin (not too strong... & if you want to))
If there is something you don't understand, just ASK ME ^_^.