PDA

View Full Version : Extracting

Obsidian Joy
07-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Whenever I extract in photshop after I trace it and click OK it cuts out my whole picture :angry: I dont know whats wrong. Can someone help me?

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 06:56 PM
If you are using the polygon lasso tool then it's real easy. Whenever you highlight the area, always, always highlight away from your image. Also, if you're using the magical eraser tool then be advised that it erases the areas that are similar in tone and color. ;) Soooo, be sure to check over your image really carefully and fill in any areas that may be deleted that you don't want to delete. :) However, I'd reccomend the poly lasso tool as it's a lot easier to use and grasp. ^_^

escaflownemoon
07-22-2004, 06:58 PM
I know it can extract it completely without destroying it...but i haven't master it yet..it has something to do with the brush size..but what I do is to give a bit of a lead way with the highlighter and make sure you complete it point A highlight to point a hightlight..then use the paint bucket there provided and fill in the area then click extracted..and viola! :) I hope I made clearer but then you would need to use the magic eraser or plain old eraser with the lasso selection to get rid of the rest..

Obsidian Joy
07-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Im using the extracting filter.

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Here's a bit of advice... Don't use the extraction filter-- it isn't worth a crap. Stick with your eraser tools and lassos. ;)

_hades the wicked
07-22-2004, 07:04 PM
I'll tell you what. Use the pen tool... It's the best one there is.

Obsidian Joy
07-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Ok ill try both and see what works better, thanks :D

MuZ0NaZ
07-22-2004, 07:22 PM
pen tool and layer mask are your two best friends :)

Obsidian Joy
07-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I got extracting to work but I dont know how to put the extracted image on to the background. Can someone tell me? Thanks

escaflownemoon
07-23-2004, 09:16 AM
That layer you have extracted you open up a new canvas size (1024 x 768) then you just drag the layer into the new canvas. Is that the answer you wanted?

MuZ0NaZ
07-23-2004, 09:36 AM
before extracting, select all the image, cut it, create a new layer and delete the layer 'background'. now paste, and after you cut a part of the image you'll see transperancy - or you can fill the foreground layer with some colour to see edges better. and its better to paint on the layer mask (layer->add layer mask -> reveal all) because you can easily correct your mistakes while extracting.

Obsidian Joy
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Ok, thanks again :D

EternalBlue
07-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Horray for pen all the way XD. I agree with Xian about the extraction filter, I just totally hate the thing lol.