PDA

View Full Version : [tutorial: PS] enlarge your images

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:32 AM
Some of you may already know about this, and if a mod wants to merge it, then feel free, but I've just figured out the easiset way, and cleanest way possible to enlarge images-- in Photoshop.

DPI- Dots per inch. It's how the image is read basically. Okay, most images on the internet are 72-75 dpi. Well, something someone told me about and something that I kinda figured out is this: If you enlarge the dpi, you enlarge the image w/out stretching, or pixelating said image. For example, some images from Mahormatic.

Okay, the original:

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:34 AM
Okay, this is what the image looks like without increasing the dpi, just increasing the pixels.

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Pretty nasty huh? Well there are steps you could take to increase the quality of that image, however, the easiest way I've found is this:

Increase the dpi. For example. Said image with the dpi increased:

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Much better isn't it? No edge bluriness, no pixelation, the edges aren't jagged either. By increasing the dpi, you increase the amount of the image that there is to spread around. Make sense?

Okay, an example. Say you're spreading mayonaise on a piece of bread. Well, your knife dries out, what do you do? Get more mayonaise. Same thing here, get more dpi. Dots Per Inch. ;) Voila!

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:42 AM
So, how did I do that? Easy enough really. A lot easier than some other methods. ^_^

Xian Pu
07-20-2004, 03:45 AM
And here you go. The area that is highlighted-- resolution is what you want to increase. If you do that, you increase the dpi, and therefore decrease the need to go through a lot of complicated steps.

Pooky, if you wanna lock this then please do so. I would like to apologize for all the double, quintuple, etc posts in this, but I just felt that it was too valuable of information not to share. ^_^

escaflownemoon
07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
so basically we increase the resolution then the image won't be pixelated. Good information Xian Pu. Thanks for sharing it. :) I knew photoshop read images by dots per inch and stuff but didn't know enlarging an image was that easy without losing quality.

Sadako Sumeragi
07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Greeeaaaattt!!! This is PERFECT for something I'm doing now... ^___^

wizz-o-matic
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Ah, I know this one ^_^ But I rather use IrfanView for resizing images :^_^:

KenshinX
07-21-2004, 02:44 AM
yeah, i knew this one a long time ago. it kinda came to me when i was setting the resolution i wanted my scanner to scan pictures at. and i did try it, and it doesn't work. it defenetly does not work. i don't know how you did that, but trust me, it does not work.

hey The Wizzard, that IrfanView sounds interesting. i didn't know about it. could you tell me what it is, or where i can get it. because i have no way of enlarging pics once they are on my PC! i always have to print out and scan. and that is VERY unproductive!

Xian Pu
07-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Do a google search for it. It's freeware. :)

MistressPookyChan
07-21-2004, 04:00 AM
yay for tutorials! If you dont mind, I'm going to change the title so people know what this thread is about. :)

Xian Pu
07-21-2004, 04:02 AM
Otay. :D

Xian Pu
07-21-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by KenshinX@Jul 21 2004, 01:44 AM
yeah, i knew this one a long time ago. it kinda came to me when i was setting the resolution i wanted my scanner to scan pictures at. and i did try it, and it doesn't work. it defenetly does not work. i don't know how you did that, but trust me, it does not work.

hey The Wizzard, that IrfanView sounds interesting. i didn't know about it. could you tell me what it is, or where i can get it. because i have no way of enlarging pics once they are on my PC! i always have to print out and scan. and that is VERY unproductive!
Your doing it wrong then son, that or you have some crappy quality scans. Because this works just fine for most images provided that the scan is above that of a stick figure on toilet paper. Because what you see is what you get with that scan of Mahoromatic; and most other scans that I've used so far. Now, you may have to do a slight gaussian blur to better clarify said image, but even that is a small nuance.

In short-- It does work and work well.

wizz-o-matic
07-21-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by KenshinX@Jul 21 2004, 08:44 AM
As Xian Pu said, Google is your friend ^_^

_hades the wicked
07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
As stated already, that method does not work. Stretching the pic will do the same as increasing its DPI...

Xian Pu
07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DarK DeatH@Jul 21 2004, 09:34 AM
As stated already, that method does not work. Stretching the pic will do the same as increasing its DPI...
It does work. I don't know what you've been trying before, but I'm here to say that my method does work. Look at the images provided.

MistressPookyChan
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
if you do not like this tutorial and if you have another option, let others know! no tutorial is a bad tutorial.

KenshinX
07-21-2004, 02:33 PM
yeah, since no one believes little kenshin cause they all think he's a noobie, now that dark death has restated it already, NOW do you believe!

your little method is EXACTLY the same as enlarging a pic. and besides you can enlarge pics just a little bit in photoshop, the program itself kinda gives them a blend a bit and stuff when you enlarge them (to make it look better).

1.- i did not try the dpi trick on scanned images, i have never scanned anime pics. i just said that printing them out and scanning them is the only way i know to make them about 3 or 4 times larger. i tired it on normal or high quality anime pics, but it didn't work. and that's the end of it.

2.- about the pictures which you showed... i don't know how you did to make the one manually enlarged by photoshop so bad. you only enlarged it very little, enlarging a picture like that to the size you made it (manually with photoshop) is no problem. it won't mess up that bad.

Xian Pu
07-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by KenshinX@Jul 21 2004, 01:33 PM
yeah, since no one believes little kenshin cause they all think he's a noobie, now that dark death has restated it already, NOW do you believe!

your little method is EXACTLY the same as enlarging a pic. and besides you can enlarge pics just a little bit in photoshop, the program itself kinda gives them a blend a bit and stuff when you enlarge them (to make it look better).

1.- i did not try the dpi trick on scanned images, i have never scanned anime pics. i just said that printing them out and scanning them is the only way i know to make them about 3 or 4 times larger. i tired it on normal or high quality anime pics, but it didn't work. and that's the end of it.

2.- about the pictures which you showed... i don't know how you did to make the one manually enlarged by photoshop so bad. you only enlarged it very little, enlarging a picture like that to the size you made it (manually with photoshop) is no problem. it won't mess up that bad.
Did you look at the images? I DID show one to where I enlarged it with the same results... Then I showed one where I enlarged it with the dpi... It came out fine for me.

MistressPookyChan
07-21-2004, 10:47 PM
no more arguing about the tutorial. next one to do so gets warned. If you have a better way of doing things, make a tutorial to share with the group! :D

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by MistressPookyChan@Jul 21 2004, 09:47 PM
no more arguing about the tutorial. next one to do so gets warned. If you have a better way of doing things, make a tutorial to share with the group! :D
Thank you.

WeyrDragon
07-22-2004, 02:11 AM
i seem to have problems because when i try to increase resolution by dpi the picture gets real grainy. :P maybe im incompetant or the picture is to small, or its not that great of a quality.

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by WeyrDragon@Jul 22 2004, 01:11 AM
i seem to have problems because when i try to increase resolution by dpi the picture gets real grainy. :P maybe im incompetant or the picture is to small, or its not that great of a quality.
Yeah, the one constant that I've discovered with this method is that images with less than stellar looks even at a small resolution generally aren't that great when you increase the resolution. *shrug* The better the image; the better the resolution.

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 04:57 AM
If you add a slight, and I mean slight gaussian blur, I discovered that it helps greatly as well.

Okay, I've done some work on this image. I've adjusted resolution (in PSP no less) and then ran some noise filters through it. See? Not the greatest scan ever, but it still looks good.

***Warning: Nudity***

Original:

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 05:00 AM
And the same image with the increased resolution and a few noise filters ran through it. It's not the greatest scan in the world, but you make do with what you have, ne?

Resized:

Xian Pu
07-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Okay, now I've colored the image in. I kept the same resolution throughout the coloring process and this is the result after adding an additional filter, a gaussian blur, a median filter, and a smart blur to the image.

You see, the point of increasing the resolution is to hopefully get a better image from the one you are currently working on while also trying to increase the size of the image as well. Notice that I decreased the dpi in this one. Why? To see what the quality is like of course. If it is of better quality, then I can go ahead and re increase the size to that which I desire. ;) Make sense?

In living color:

Xian Pu
08-16-2004, 03:06 AM
*bump*

Pooky, or someone, is there any way this can be made into a sticky?

Gestahr
08-16-2004, 04:24 AM
I thought the tutorial was good; however, the best(and sadly, most difficult) way to enlarge an image is to do a vector trace of it in a program like Illustrator or Corel Draw. So, while this way is certainly the easiest, it isn't the cleanest.

Xian Pu
08-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Aug 16 2004, 03:24 AM
I thought the tutorial was good; however, the best(and sadly, most difficult) way to enlarge an image is to do a vector trace of it in a program like Illustrator or Corel Draw. So, while this way is certainly the easiest, it isn't the cleanest.
This is also a way to enlarge for those people that don't have Corel Draw or whatnot. ;)

Gestahr
08-16-2004, 04:34 AM
Well, Photoshop does have some vector tools; presumably someone could do it in PhotoShop, but, once again, stifling difficulty.

Xian Pu
08-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Aug 16 2004, 03:34 AM
Well, Photoshop does have some vector tools; presumably someone could do it in PhotoShop, but, once again, stifling difficulty.
It does?! Where? I've been dying to figure that out for... ever now w/out having to break down and buy Photoshop CS. Really, any and all help with plain Photoshop vectoring would be teh awesum. ^_^

Gestahr
08-16-2004, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't even bother. The functionality that they have is so limited compared to something like Illustrator that they're just a pain to use. It's like using Flash for vector work; can you do it? Yeah, but it's generally a wicked pain in the neck.