PDA

View Full Version : Extraction Help

DDR Pip
06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Well, I extracted my first image. Tell me how I can fix it cause I'm positive its not that great.

Also, I have my extracted image and my bg in separate files. How do I get them together (I'm using Photoshop)? Yeah, I'm clueless but I need help :^_^: . This won't really be a wp though cause that would feel a little wrong since I took from another wp :P .

Edit: Wow, it looked a lot better in Photoshop...

Xian Pu
06-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Looks good to me. As for it being a wallpaper or not, it's okay to use images from other walls so long as your vision doesn't copy the original. At least that's my take on it. *shrug* Now as for getting an image and your wall together. Simple really. Open your image in Photoshop then go to File New (whatever size you want), go to your selection fill tool and select a color for your background then go back to the original image and ctl + A and then ctl X. Ctl A selects all, Ctl X cuts it out. Now go back to the new image-- the one you're going to do work on. Once it's selected, Ctl V to paste the image. Drag it where you want and voila! Pasted and done. :) Wasn't that easy? ^_^ Layers are simple too. Go to the layer bar and select Layer-- New layer. There ya have it.

Any other questions?

DDR Pip
06-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Maybe I extracted wrong or something, but since I erased the rest of the image, should I have erased in the color of my bg? I did what you said and put it on a semi-black bg, but all the white from erasing showed up. Easily fixable i hope?

Xian Pu
06-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Simple. ^_^ All you have to do is high light the original image and then select the eraser tool and erase all the extra stuff. However, if there is a solid white BG like in the image you uploaded, that's fixable. Go to your eraser tool and select Magic Eraser. Use that and it should get rid of the white. ;) As an FYI, it's usually a good idea to save all your extracted files as a PSD. If you want to show them off, save it as a GIF file, that way you won't have to use the Magic Eraser. :)

DDR Pip
06-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Why as a PSD file over a GIF file? Also, where is the magic eraser? *fears he may not have it*

WeyrDragon
06-30-2004, 12:03 AM
because if you save them as a psd then you still have a version where all your layers are seperate and you can edit things if you need to.

Xian Pu
06-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DDR Pip@Jun 29 2004, 11:52 PM
Why as a PSD file over a GIF file? Also, where is the magic eraser? *fears he may not have it*
The Magic Eraser is where your normal eraser is. Just right click and select it. ^_^

DDR Pip
06-30-2004, 12:33 AM
This will be my last question....for now. I save my images normally as JPEG. Is there still a difference?

Also, I tested it by taking an image, saving it as PSD, erasing a bit of it, and puting the image on a blue BG. The erase marks stayed white unless I erased them while on the BG. Maybe I am just not understanding, but is there any way to take the extracted image straight from its file, put it in the file with the BG, and still have it extracted (even extracted from the white erase used to extract it)?

Xian Pu
06-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by DDR Pip@Jun 30 2004, 12:33 AM
This will be my last question....for now. I save my images normally as JPEG. Is there still a difference?

Also, I tested it by taking an image, saving it as PSD, erasing a bit of it, and puting the image on a blue BG. The erase marks stayed white unless I erased them while on the BG. Maybe I am just not understanding, but is there any way to take the extracted image straight from its file, put it in the file with the BG, and still have it extracted (even extracted from the white erase used to extract it)?
If I'm understanding you then what you are saying is this:

When you extract an image you still have a white background? Okay, extract a bit of the image outside the image itself and then select the magic erase tool. Click on that extracted area that should make it to where there is nothing under the image you are trying to extract. And you should really make a WIP (work in progress) folder for your images so, like Weyr said if you need to edit something then you don't have to go and start from scratch as you would with a JPEG file. The only time you should save as JPEG IMO is when you are finished with the image entirely and are ready to upload it or use it as a background. Otherwise, it's best to save them as PSD files and be able to go back into it to edit the image if need be.

Make sense?

DDR Pip
06-30-2004, 04:08 PM
It just fell together this morning. Everything makes sense now. Thanks all.

BTW, I used the image for my new sig :D .

Haha, his scars on the wrong side now. Oh well...