View Full Version : My First, Be Brutally Honest Please

06-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Well, this is my first shot at it, so give me your thoughts

06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, for a first I suppose it could be MUCH worse. Instead of just leaving the render clouds as is, I'd suggest doing something to them, As for the character, it doesn't look to be the best of quality and your extraction isn't that great. The text is too large and maybe try a different font. If you need some there's always www.1001fonts.com .

06-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Oh god, dont even get me started on the extraction, that is such a pain in the @$$, lol, but anyways, i do realize it is a bit basic and the fonts... its very difficult when it doesnt actually give you a preview of the font, i'll probably do a bit more with it, but like i said, its my first.

06-15-2004, 05:11 PM
ok, made some adjustments, per comments, i think it looks better, but thats just my opinion...

btw, this and last one are 1024x768

06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
you didn't really have to erased the extra piece of hair..for the extraction I could tell you how to do better at but first patient and hand eye co-ordination is essential hehe..but do not be afraid...lol ok well I don't really know what program you use but for photoshop 7...filter>extract, or magic eraser, or selection tools such as magic wand,lasso,marquee..etc and of course the normal eraser combine with selection tools this allows you to erase carelessly because you can only erase within the selected area...but sometimes it is too small for the selection tools to cover so you would have to do it the old fashion way..the eraser and hand eye co-ordination...anyways I think any program has something similar to what I just said.

06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
alright, tried to clean up the character edges a bit more, note the word "tried"

replaced the strand of hair... just seems like shes missing something without it.

an uh, the magic wand doesnt always work when it selects chunks of the person :P

06-15-2004, 08:47 PM
looks good but never mind it' s good

_hades the wicked
06-15-2004, 09:29 PM
*reads the "be brutally honest" part on the thread title*
OK, you asked for it alright? XD
1. You REALLY need to put more work on your extractions... If you're using Photoshop I'd suggest one thing, make a new layer under your pic layer, fill it with a color that contrasts with the original pic background, then extract the pic with the eraser and lasso tools at a 500~600% zoom.

2. On the first version, all you did was render clouds as a background: NEVER do simply that... It's usually called n00b work, and you don't want to be a n00b do you? ;)

3. Try to fix the pic when it needs to be fixed, for example, there are pink parts on her clothes that I believe aren't supposed to be pink, right? Try to fix that.

4. Play around with different fonts, styles, try to "have a brilliant idea", play around with layer blending styles... Use your originality. Sometimes having a brilliant idea with not too great execution is better than having a dull idea with great execution.

As stated, it could be worse for a first work, but I still say it's not good... You could do better IMO ;)

06-15-2004, 10:56 PM
well technically i am a noob at this, but everyone has to start somewhere dont they, anyways, thanks for your comments, as it is, im still getting used to photoshop.

_hades the wicked
06-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Nah, you're not a n00b, you're a newbie ;)

Xian Pu
06-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Welll, to be honest, the character needs to be recolored (Yeah yeah I hear it all the time from Candy. :P). It's grainy and looks faded out. Second of all, the background doesn't match the character at all IMO. Another thing is, yes the extraction needs a lot of work. Instead of the magic wand (stay away if at all possible) use the magic eraser tool and the polygon lasso tool. Save you a headache from hell it will. It extends the time of extraction ten fold, but in the end, the results are outstanding. Yet another thing is that well, there are what appear to be sakura blossoms or maybe light spots on the character. They need to go. Clone tool. Easy tool to use, just be patient with it. Background-- something else needs to be done, it's too bright and doesn't match... Sorry already said that. Erm, font.

A buttload of 'em at that site; knock yourself silly. ^_^

Otherwise, you show potential with this wall, keep trying, you'll get it right eventually.

06-16-2004, 12:49 AM
heh, extraction doesnt work so well either, pixel by pixel is kinda hard because i cant tell which should stay and which should go, and that magic eraser tool, sometimes it takes more than what i want it to.

about the backround, its odd that you say it doest fit, because the original pic was with white and pink. though i think a darker color might be more suiting...

otherwise, ill keep working on it, again, thank you for the comments. (even though re-extracting that is gonna be such a pain in the @$$ lol!)

06-16-2004, 02:10 AM
alright, i went with a darker color and i think it looks a bit better, i tried really hard on getting all the garbage out from around her, got rid of the pink spots on her clothing and went with yet again, another new font.

its similar to the prior but i think its coming along and looks better.

I was undecided on whether to shadow part of the girl, she kinda sticks out a bit of the picture, and the shadow looked pretty good, but still wasnt sure.

Xian Pu
06-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Getting there. The girl is still grainy as hell. Smart blur is your friend, try it, if it doesn't work, then you are going to have to recolor the entire character. ^_^

06-16-2004, 08:58 AM
yea the magic eraser does sometimes takes chucks out but you can change the setting of it so that it won't..I can't remember right now.

06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
ok, i tried the smart blur tool, i think it made a difference, but im not sure...

Xian Pu
06-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Much better, now just tweak on that and you've got it. ;)

06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
after alot of tinkering, i think ive found something that works really well..

06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes, muuuuuuuch better.

06-16-2004, 08:23 PM
the extraction isnt very good. The color of the bg doesnt fit. The last one doesnt seem to fit with the character at all.
Try making the bg light green, see what it'll turn out like.

06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
its hard for me to decide whether to go with something like this...

06-16-2004, 08:36 PM
or this...

06-16-2004, 08:45 PM
The one with the more circular design in the BG looks nice.

06-17-2004, 12:10 AM
i like the one with the weird blue background..but to me in all of the walls you adjusted the character still looks a bit sharp on the edges..i use a program different from photoshop so i couldn't tell you how to fix it..other than that it looks great

Xian Pu
06-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah, the extraction still needs work yo. Otherwise, you seem to be making SOME headway. *shrug*

06-17-2004, 01:57 AM
hrmmm well, i did some stuff with the edges trying to blend it, and they dont seem to be as sharp as before...

06-17-2004, 02:42 AM
ok got some more comments through the chat...

06-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Firts of all:Welcome!!! :lol: I won't be short :^_^: :lol:
I'm glad every time someone now gets in! Ever if u called yourself a newbie, your work isn't totally "newbiesh" :) You've got sense of proportion and space, you've put the chara in a good point.
ok, so if you want to do another step, you've still to work on the wall itself:
1.the extraction is good, I guess that one of the most >_< part for you it&#39;s the upper single hair, because it&#39;s so tiny You can&#39;t manage to fix it well.If I were you, I would merely erase it. ;)
2.the text: I don&#39;t know the main theme of that serie(shojo, science,comedy..) but use a font that fits well with it. and also a color that resemble the chara(the same for the bg, colors should match, even if you&#39;re doing it already quite well :) ). try to do a thing:duplicate the text level and leave as it is just behind the upper text level.Then take the lower one and make a motion/gaussian/other effects on it.Now change the opacity/blending of the upper on and tell me what do you think ^_-.
3.the chara:It&#39;s seem to me a bit too grey...try levels/auto levels/auto contrast.
4.the bg:put other stuff that match with the serie, and if you can remove that circle light effect.. it&#39;s not so good as seems :) the green them is good, but in the chara u&#39;ve also got spots of different colors, so you can use them too.
Good work&#33; I hope I&#39;ve not bored you so much, and hope that some of all this advices could help you :^_^: