PDA

View Full Version : Gyzra's art

Gyzra
02-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Hi there. Just thought i'd start a thread where I could show you my work (not just fanart).
here is a pencil drawing of my boyfriend playing on the N64.58133

And here is a pencil drawing of Johnny Depp

These three are from my manga trilogy The Chronicles of Gyzra. The first two are pages from the upcoming book and the last is a poster used to promote the book.

battousai_ryuu
02-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Very impressive. I expecially like the comic set up ^_^
I hope you continue to post up more of your art.
Keep up the good work!

Munchman
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
The drawing of Johnny Depp looks really good. Keep it up!

Bladen
03-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Wow!
Very cool stuff.

Gyzra
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone =] Hopefully I'll have some more stuff up shortly.

Gyzra
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I haven't been here in quite a while, and by a while I mean I've missed over 9000 posts (queue DBZ joke). I've had a weird year, my confidence got knocked a lot and I haven't had a lot of faith in most of my work. But I think that's starting to wear off now, my strange little artist's block is hopefully finally over.
So here is a selection of my art over the past year. (The latest image being the winged girl, Mikana). It's a mix of finished pieces, sketches, colour and black and white.
I hope you like it and from here on out my work will be continuously improving. =]

Gyzra
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
And some more =]

Bulf
01-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Faaantastic stuff! I envy your ability to do hair/fur correctly <3, mine always turn out odd. I've never tried working with colored pencils, but the fox looks cool.
Nothing to really critique, so I'll just stand here and admire them for a few more minutes :)

GameGeeks
01-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Your realistic ones look much better then your anime ones. For example, where's the majority of the KH inspired one's body?

Gyzra
01-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you Ellipsis. =] Actually the fox is drawn using ProMarkers on slightly glossy paper.
Yeah I know GameGeeks. Most of my anime stuff here is crud. It's obvious why though, I just didn't put as much time into them as I did with the realistics. I had my confidence knocked a lot last year in my anime/manga stuff and just haven't had the heart to keep improving at it, the majority of it has just been really simple character designs. I think I spent about 3 hours or something on the KH one where as I spent 7 hours on Emma Watson, splitting it over two days to perfect it. That's changing now, and the first evidence of that was the last piece of work I did which is the black and white picture of my character Mikana (the winged girl). Hopefully my new manga and anime stuff will be able to match my realistic work, I enjoy drawing manga a lot more. =]

GameGeeks
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah, don't take it as knocking your work, especially since my drawing skills don't go past stick figures.

Gyzra
01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Haha no don't worry it's fine. Critisism is always a good thing, it helps me improve and I really want to! =]
The thing that knocked my confidence was from people coming to my main website and then sending messages like 'Your art sucks'. Oh well, it's the internet, what did I expect? haha =]

GameGeeks
01-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah, not much you can do about that. Really do like your realistic ones. Really like the fox one.

Gyzra
01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Thank you =]

Gyzra
01-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Just a couple quick sketches that people on my Facebook page asked for.
These are the new Pokemon Fennekin and Froakie.
Drawn with Copic fineliner, coloured with Letraset ProMarkers.
Spent about half an hour on each one. =]

Gyzra
01-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Would like your opinion on this piece. It's my first time doing a sort of chibi style (I know it's not full cutesy chibi but yeah). But what do you think of the style/colouring? =] And where can I improve on it? (Apart from the cutting, because yes, my cutting out is horrific haha.)
It's a little card I made for my boyfriend for our Anniversary on the 27th Dec.

Gyzra
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
This is my latest anime piece, I just finished it.
It's been a long time since I've drawn this style and I really tried to make it look good.
Please let me know what you think so I can improve or know if this is better than my other stuff.
Thanks =]

Gyzra
02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Finished this piece today. =]
She kinda ended up looking like Chii from Chobits but I didn't use any references or plan on her ending up like that.

Here's the DA version so you can see it in more detail:
http://gyzra.deviantart.com/#/d5ty53n

It was just a random image I got in my head of a sweet little city girl discovering nature for the first time.
Let me know what you think. =]

The Lich
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Awesome art work.. and also great shading:P

Gyzra
02-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Thank you =]

GameGeeks
02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Like it but her eyes look like she's zoned out.

CrimsonMoon
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
The latest one you drew, she looks lifeless. But I like your use of colour, it's really good. :)

http://www.animeforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73311&d=1357585752
Best piece ever! Is she Emma Watson?

Gyzra
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Like it but her eyes look like she's zoned out.

The latest one you drew, she looks lifeless. But I like your use of colour, it's really good. :)

http://www.animeforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73311&d=1357585752
Best piece ever! Is she Emma Watson?

That's deliberate. =] The fox is suposed to look more 'alive' than she is. She's supposed to look kinda like a doll.

Yes that is Emma Watson. =]

Gyzra
04-26-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm really sorry for not being online lately. If you want to know why then go read this: http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?115551-Art-block-and-art-breakdowns&p=2759786#post2759786
I haven't got any traditional art finished to show yet, but hopefully I will have some soon.

VegaTheGamer00
04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Omg, your draw about Johnny Depp is like the real.. :groupwave:
can you teach me how to draw so detail?? :3

Gyzra
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Omg, your draw about Johnny Depp is like the real.. :groupwave:
can you teach me how to draw so detail?? :3
Haha, I'm glad you like it. =] It's kinda hard to explain how to do it in writing, but I starting to create a YouTube channel so if you want to be shown how to do anything just send me a message on there:
http://www.youtube.com/agamerdraws
It's really basic at the moment, but with feedback I'll make it better. =]

VegaTheGamer00
04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Haha, I'm glad you like it. =] It's kinda hard to explain how to do it in writing, but I starting to create a YouTube channel so if you want to be shown how to do anything just send me a message on there:
http://www.youtube.com/agamerdraws
It's really basic at the moment, but with feedback I'll make it better. =]

Yayayayaaaayyy!!!
Thank you!! :bounce:

Gyzra
06-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Yaayyyy I finaly got some of my latest traditional artwork scanned. These are drawn using ProMarkers on A3 bristol board. =] I hope you like them.
This is an original character. She's suposed to be the spirit of a bird of paradise, who comes back to her old Japanese garden to play at night.
This is Rikku from FFX-2 visiting Macalania Woods before it became cursed.

Serated
06-24-2013, 07:04 PM
You know, on those last 2 pieces, I am really digging the backgrounds more than the characters in them. They're so wild, and detailed. I think that the major flaw in those two is THAT you have the characters in there, and that they are animish in style and therefore not very detailed and that you have them on these really meticulous backgrounds that just dont seem to mix with them.

Have you given thought to doing just like a landscape thing? Or perhaps getting more into realism with your characters? I think those two would be the next logical step.

Gyzra
06-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Hmm. I understand where you're coming from, particularly the Rikku piece, she doesn't quite fit, but I think it's partially my lack of emotion or interacting with the background. I can draw landscapes, and I can do realism, sometimes I even find it kind of easy (although I know I'm not perfect) but honestly I find it tedious and boring. I choose manga because I love it, I love everything about the different styles of Anime and manga, from the simple chibis to the semi realistic. I love playing with proportions using long legs and slender delicate hands. A lot of the time I'll look at a person and see them in a manga-ized form rather than naturally. And I love having large eyes, eyes are always my favourite things to draw. I try to match the art style where there's a detailed background and simple characters like old Warner Brothers, Disney and Studio Ghibli because I love the contrast. But I know I haven't quite got it right. The only time I like doing realistic is when I paint, maybe I'll put a couple of those up here for you. Oh god I just realised I wrote quite the paragraph haha sorry, It's just I have been at some art shows recently where people have much preferred that work, even saying that they think I'm developing a style, I guess I've gained a bit of confidence to stand up for it now XD Although I do completely agree that I still haven't got the mix quite right, I need to find a way of making the two art styles mesh.

Gyzra
07-06-2013, 07:21 AM
You know, on those last 2 pieces, I am really digging the backgrounds more than the characters in them. They're so wild, and detailed. I think that the major flaw in those two is THAT you have the characters in there, and that they are animish in style and therefore not very detailed and that you have them on these really meticulous backgrounds that just dont seem to mix with them.

Have you given thought to doing just like a landscape thing? Or perhaps getting more into realism with your characters? I think those two would be the next logical step.

I've been thinking a lot more on what you've said. It's really important to me to stick with manga, but I do agree that the backgrounds and characters need to gel a bit better. i've been doing some quick sketches of a possible semi-realistic anime style. Basically I just thought "what is it about manga that I like" and then made the rest semi-realistic. I'l upload my sketches later so you can see and let me know what you think. =]

Gyzra
07-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Here's a collection of sketches that I made today. Basically I thought about what things I like about manga (large eyes and pointed simple noses and overall face structure), but then took it and gave it a bit more detail. I looked through my favourites on DA and thought about what kind of art I really like and tried to do my own version of it. So here are the sketches. =]
The aim was to create a style that would look good in detailed backgrounds and with detailed clothing but still stay true to the manga/anime style as that's what I love to draw.

blueangel06661
07-06-2013, 03:52 PM
The facial collection is pretty cool. My favorite being on the 3rd page lower right corner

Although after following your comments. You're really pushing to justify your anime/manga style. Which is cool, everyone has their own style and preference. However when you keep trying to justify it past a certain point it just really comes off as more of a comfort zone type thing that you don't want to break out of. I know from experience that when you don't break out of your comfort-zone and you keep trying to justify your comfort-zone that you just don't improve and it's a stalemate because it just gets to a point of repetition. Honestly I think it's more beneficial to try a little bit of everything even if you suck at it. Try doing only environments, try doing weird abstract crap no one understands, classical, science fiction, realism, cartoon/comic. The more you try to learn by different means the more you can broaden your ways of approaching your own style where as it's your style, yet you have much more methods and ideas to pull from thus chopping out the potential of being repetitive in the long haul :)

That's just my few cents and opinions~

Gyzra
07-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks, the geisha? Yeah she turned out all right. I think I'm slowly getting there but it still needs work.
I do do other stuff, I have some of my realistics on the first page which I'm often commissioned for and below is an A2, acrylic painting I did a couple weeks ago.
I also have some abstract work which is basically splashes and wiggly coloured lines painted to the sound of musical pieces. They're supposed to match the mood and messages of the songs.
And I copy a lot of different artists work like Disney, Studio Ghibli etc, but I don't usually show that off as its really just little sketches to practice and I don't like posting copies or things too similar to the originals, I prefer to show off my own characters.
My first comment before was written at stupid o'clock in the morning and therefore was stupidly written -.-; that's why I went back on it and did some real thought about WHY I always come back to manga/anime and had a go at changing my style a bit based off of the comments above.
I dunno how to explain it, I just love drawing manga so much. I know it sounds so much like I'm just defending myself =/ I don't mean it like that. All I'm trying to do is improve and fix the problems in my work, but I don't want to leave manga completely. Maybe one day I will, but right now it's where my heart is. Does that make any sense?
And I never dismiss any comments given on here, I don't want anyone to think that. In fact I actually copy a lot of them onto my computer and keep them as references so I can keep going back and seeing if I've improved on what people have said.

TL;DR :I do other types of art, so I don't just stick to manga. But I prefer manga and would like to focus my efforts on improving it. P.S. Thank you for bothering to read my long replies. =]

Gyzra
07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I thought you guys might be interested in seeing this. It's a photo of my manga in the real world. =]
I'm so proud of this little book and the journey that it's been on, I've even sold some books in Germany! haha.
I'm hoping to bring out book 2 at the end of this year. (It's a trilogy.)